Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 05:51:36 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone w/ FPGAs should keep their eye on this  (Read 9431 times)
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
January 16, 2013, 11:56:22 PM

Yes, we both agree on both of those statements.

And for the right to say: I didn't say that it makes no sense for someone, I said it makes no sense to me to switch for the only reason that the current project doesn't make me profit anymore, especially because I think that the current project is the one that helps people now, while other projects might help someday, but maybe never will, outcome totally unknown.

Just my 2cents, nothing to worry about.
I'm totally fine if every FPGA-owner decides to switch to BOINC, I'll just let mine sit on Bitcoin, or shut them down completely if i can no longer afford the power. Donate them to BOINC? Not so much.

Ok, fair enough..!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Raize
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1419
Merit: 1015

View Profile
January 17, 2013, 12:21:19 AM

Some people donate to charity too.  That doesn't make much financial sense either.

It does make sense if you want a better world. I donate to a ton of charities that have a proven record and I like and write off the donations on my taxes. I live within my means and save a reasonable amount of money, too. I'd rather give the money to charity than the government, anyway.
SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
January 17, 2013, 12:24:29 AM

Some people donate to charity too.  That doesn't make much financial sense either.

It does make sense if you want a better world. I donate to a ton of charities that have a proven record and I like and write off the donations on my taxes. I live within my means and save a reasonable amount of money, too. I'd rather give the money to charity than the government, anyway.
I agree it makes sense, just not from the perspective of finances.  If you donate (which truly means giving money away without expecting anything equitable in return), then you are in a worse-off situation financially.  You exchange your donation for the feeling of doing some good in the world and for benefit given to other people.
abbeytim

Activity: 438
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 17, 2013, 05:15:43 PM

um why wouldn't you just keep mining with a fpga  they don't consume much power
and if they have already paid for them selves just keep mining withem

people still mined with gpus even after the fpgas came out
SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
January 17, 2013, 05:17:26 PM

Because when you make 0.05 BTC a month, it doesn't make it worth it no matter how little electricity it consumes.
Jack1Rip1BurnIt

Activity: 350

Trust me, these default swaps will limit the risks

View Profile
January 17, 2013, 05:18:57 PM

Because when you make 0.05 BTC a month, it doesn't make it worth it no matter how little electricity it consumes.

Amen Smiley

Successful trades with bels, misterbigg, ChrisNelson, shackleford, geniusboy91, and Isokivi.
rynmln (OP)

Activity: 49
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 18, 2013, 05:15:57 AM

OP here, didn't think there was going to much response to that post after I saw it fall down the page with no response. Anyhow, what you do with your FPGA is your choice. Continuing to mine for whatever you can get might make sense if BTC price continues to rise, but that's pure speculation.

Using it in a different distributed computing project is up to you. I only mentioned SETI@Home because it seems best suited for powerful FPGA processing and that website seems to be working on making it happen with that project first, then other, more complex ones later. Also, Folding@Home uses a lot of floating point processing which FPGAs aren't well suited for and adapting it to an FPGA has been put on the "won't do" list on their wiki somewhere.

It was just a suggestion and I'm glad to see some discussion over it. If you were to stop mining it would be a shame to see them collect dust. So, I proposed some info that could be just one of many solutions. Also, as far as power is concerned, however efficient they are, one could consider lending/renting them to a local institution for their own research or participation in a distributed project they want to help out. You could profit marginally with it that way as well.

Anyway, like I said, just trying to inform so you can make your own informed decision with said information.
||bit

Activity: 924
Merit: 506

View Profile
January 18, 2013, 09:27:12 AM

This may be off topic as it doesn't have anything to do with mining, just the hardware used for such.

If ASICs do come around, those with FPGAs should collaborate on something like this if you plan to quit mining. The SETI@Home project is just one of the many BOINC projects out there, but FPGAs seem the best suited for SETI@Home. The FPGA@Home project doesn't seem to have much going on yet but it looks like he could use some help from you guys that know things about FPGAs. Donating those wonderfully efficient, easily re-purposed cycles really could make an impact on that project. Thoughts?

Good idea in general. Maybe something like the protein folding project would be worthwhile.

But I wouldn't waste the time & energy with SETI. Even if life existed in another star system, though astronomically unlikely, there are too many problems and too much space between here and even the closest star (about 4.5 light years). It's a binary star system with only one likely planet I have read about (w/ temps @ ~1500C). So, don't expect life there.

Other issues: What power would need to be transmitted? And how directional would it be? The more directional, the least likely we would be the star system receiving anything. The less directional, the least likely there will be enough power to transmit a detectable signal to earth. Even so, would you be listening at the correct location & time the alien life was at a stage of technology capable of transmitting anything? etc...

But the general idea for some other collaborative computational projects useful to humans here/now on earth still seems a worthwhile prospect.

||bit
Unacceptable
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 18, 2013, 09:56:36 AM

http://zidbits.com/2011/07/how-far-have-radio-signals-traveled-from-earth/

"If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day long, you are the asshole."  -Raylan Givens
Got GOXXED ?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KiqRpPiJAU&feature=youtu.be
"An ASIC being late is perfectly normal, predictable, and legal..."Hashfast & BFL slogan Smiley
axilla

Activity: 217
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
January 18, 2013, 03:36:03 PM

If ASICs do come around and people plan to quit mining they probably do so because they don't get any high returns anymore.
Now what you ask them to do will give them even less than that, instead of keep mining for maybe 1, or 2 bitcents a month, which is way less than the power-cost to run those rigs, but at least it is something, you want them to run the rigs on some other project that doesn't return anything at all.

That doesn't make much sense to me.

You can ask the aliens for a quantum mining rig when they get here.
I've never been involved in the SETI@home program.  I think aliens and other intelligent life is utter nonesense.  But that doesn't mean I think people have no legitimate reason for putting computing power towards such a project.  If they believe in it, why not?

So you honestly think humans on earth in an infinite galaxy are the only living life forms.. do you believe we came from the lord and savior jesus christ? lol

Growth-O-Matic Grow your business, and increase brand awareness | While everyone else delivers your news to the wire, hoping it gets picked up, we put your press release in front of the eyes of the top bloggers, writers, and decision makers in your industry.
jborkl

Activity: 246

Team Heritage Motorsports

View Profile WWW
January 18, 2013, 05:24:47 PM

Not to be picky, but you mean Universe.

We know the size of the Milky Way Galaxy

And out the 400 billion stars in our Galaxy it is arrogant to think we are so special to be alone, never mind the rest of the Universe.

||bit

Activity: 924
Merit: 506

View Profile
January 21, 2013, 01:24:30 AM

If ASICs do come around and people plan to quit mining they probably do so because they don't get any high returns anymore.
Now what you ask them to do will give them even less than that, instead of keep mining for maybe 1, or 2 bitcents a month, which is way less than the power-cost to run those rigs, but at least it is something, you want them to run the rigs on some other project that doesn't return anything at all.

That doesn't make much sense to me.

You can ask the aliens for a quantum mining rig when they get here.
I've never been involved in the SETI@home program.  I think aliens and other intelligent life is utter nonesense.  But that doesn't mean I think people have no legitimate reason for putting computing power towards such a project.  If they believe in it, why not?

So you honestly think humans on earth in an infinite galaxy are the only living life forms.. do you believe we came from the lord and savior jesus christ? lol

The galaxy is not infinite. Neither is the universe. Worse still, assuming the big bang theory is true, everything (space/time/matter) came into existence from nothing.

So, suppose he does believe in Jesus. He could then account for everything that we normally assume is true (morals, logic, mind... and of course life, etc..). However, what's your belief on the origins of things such as morals, consciousness or logic? That fish crawled out of the water and gave rise to philosophers? ..ok..whatever... good luck being consistent.

||bit
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: