Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 05:07:05 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: IBM and Microsoft unroll The Hyperledger.  (Read 1083 times)
commandrix (OP)

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 17, 2016, 08:57:13 PM

And if this new IBM/Microsoft partnership turns it into the Blockchain equivalent of the Web browser which shall remain nameless, I might get a few people to help me come up with my own version. Here's the details.
samson
Legendary

Activity: 2097
Merit: 1070

View Profile
February 17, 2016, 09:32:31 PM

Bitcoin killer ?
mtnsaa
Legendary

Activity: 1568

View Profile
February 17, 2016, 09:43:03 PM

So it doesn't have any coin or token attached to it like Ripple, how does that work? From what I read it's centralized, so I don't have that much interest, not that it's a bad word or anything.
readysalted89

Activity: 327
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 17, 2016, 10:19:03 PM

So it doesn't have any coin or token attached to it like Ripple, how does that work? From what I read it's centralized, so I don't have that much interest, not that it's a bad word or anything.

It it's centralized IBM or Microsoft could stop supporting it if it became uneconomical. They will only keep up development if they are making money from it. If it's like vista then I don't trust it. Just because it's from microsoft doesn't mean it's any good, I'd rather trust in Bitcoin.
mtnsaa
Legendary

Activity: 1568

View Profile
February 17, 2016, 10:42:13 PM

It it's centralized IBM or Microsoft could stop supporting it if it became uneconomical. They will only keep up development if they are making money from it. If it's like vista then I don't trust it. Just because it's from microsoft doesn't mean it's any good, I'd rather trust in Bitcoin.

Yeah I don't think this is really interesting for us bitcoiners, but many of these platforms and systems will be implemented soon by many companies around the world. I think Bitcoin strong point is just being a commodity and a secure way to store wealth in these troubled times, it has proven its worth over time but only in this facet. I don't think it will ever become a viable payment system for everyday life though.
Velkro
Legendary

Activity: 2296
Merit: 1014

View Profile
February 17, 2016, 10:49:08 PM

And if this new IBM/Microsoft partnership turns it into the Blockchain equivalent of the Web browser which shall remain nameless, I might get a few people to help me come up with my own version. Here's the details.
Blockchain equivalent? When do people realize that bitcoin is revolution and blockchain like anything else is just fancy new word for  database ? : >
-tK

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 17, 2016, 10:49:56 PM

Bitcoin killer ?

No. It's just a software that uses something similar to the blockchain/ledger.

Well, yes, but there's a lot of possibilities from something like this. Plus, once people see how great this idea is, they'll be drawn to use it, and maybe even check out bitcoin.

Yeah I don't think this is really interesting for us bitcoiners...I don't think it will ever become a viable payment system for everyday life though.

It's pretty interesting to me as a intermediate bitcoin-er, because it's a project by a couple huge companies that use something from bitcoin.

Also, it's not just a payment system to be used.
BellaBitBit

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 17, 2016, 10:57:53 PM

Does not matter what it is, it is centralized and that is the key word.  Anything centralized cannot compete with bitoin, IMO.

I love Bitcoin
aardvark15

Activity: 1008
Merit: 510

View Profile
February 17, 2016, 11:02:36 PM

I think this is just a private ledger right?  It's not a public ledger like Bitcoin has.  I think that is a major difference.  The same goes for banks that are working on their own blockchains.  They are basically private databases if I understand correctly.  It can never be used the same way a public ledger can.
simpic

Activity: 1240
Merit: 789

View Profile
May 19, 2016, 05:38:00 PM

Hello, i tried to deepen HyperLedger and i would try to figure out what is the scope and the purpose.
First, what is the right package that i can download to have a look at sources?

Second, what is it? What is the difference between a ledger on this technology and a ledger on SQL database?

Thank you in advance.

franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4228
Merit: 4498

View Profile
May 19, 2016, 06:16:31 PM

1. its not decentralised.
2. its not really a blockchain
3. doesnt require mining to 'create' units

translating it to laymens:
in short its just like a microsoft 'ondrive' spreadsheet file that people can play with around the world but ibm/microsoft have the main permissions of and main hosting of..

in my eyes it has nothing to do with bitcoin. nothing to do with blockchain..

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
Junko
Legendary

Activity: 1512

View Profile
May 19, 2016, 06:24:45 PM

in short its just like a microsoft 'ondrive' spreadsheet file that people can play with around the world but ibm/microsoft have the main permissions of and main hosting of..

So basically, they are just taking pop lingo, "ledger", and adding a little flair and pizzazz, "Hyper" to roll out and market their new product that is nothing at all like bitcoin?
franky1
Legendary

View Profile
May 19, 2016, 06:30:26 PM

So basically, they are just taking pop lingo, "ledger", and adding a little flair and pizzazz, "Hyper" to roll out and market their new product that is nothing at all like bitcoin?

'ledger' can be anything.. its a meaningless term that covers many things..
even your childhood diary is a ledger (of memories and thoughts)
even a bed post where you etch knotches to count how many sexual interactions you have.. is a ledger

as for hyper.. well i see it as them taking a page out of Homer simpson:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9STeegpxSb0

sidenote: the funny coincidence is look at the OP's source (wired) then look at what magazine homer is reading..

Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
DimensionZ

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

Shit, did I leave the stove on?

View Profile
May 19, 2016, 06:35:30 PM

Hyperledger is open-source and the code is donated for the most part to the Linux foundation which is not-for-profit by IBM. It's said in the article that it can be used as a free way of recording the exchange of assets like houses, cars, stocks and anything else on a public ledger that resembles the Bitcoin Blockchain. However the software will be hosted on cloud servers so I am not sure if people can download and run it on their own computers. The project sounds interesting though and I think some businesses needing such a solution could find value in using it.

coinpr0n

Activity: 910

View Profile
May 19, 2016, 06:40:38 PM

Blockchain is one of those tech buzzwords. Everyone and their grandmother is going to offer a blockchain. The innovation of Bitcoin is only partly the blockchain, more important is the permissionless and trustlessness nature of the system.

franky1
Legendary

View Profile
May 19, 2016, 06:45:10 PM

Hyperledger is open-source and the code is donated for the most part to the Linux foundation which is not-for-profit by IBM.

to use the free "kick the tires" hyperledger, you are using the basecode of what is described by dimensionZ.. which is the same as microsoft onedrive spreadsheet basically.. (centralized but open to public viewing or creating 'formulea' within the online platform).

however IBM will be creating a FOR-PROFIT version which they will sell corporate licences to businesses if these businesses want to run the software on their own (private) systems instead of running centrally on IBM systems. but this would be more like internal networks and not public run. so again it might aswell be centralised as the distribution would be run on the businesses systems instead of general public systems

but as others have mentioned.. if ibm/microsoft drop support for it in a couple years or have time limits on the licences(subscriptions) for the corporate releases.. then they have failed before they have even started

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: