Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 11:39:16 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What is "forking"?  (Read 1186 times)
Bitconian (OP)

Activity: 101
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 16, 2013, 09:24:21 AM

Hi there,

Before I ask here, I googled it but I couldn't find any answer about what is forking bitcoins or forking blockchains.

so, if anyone can throw a bit of light in here to help, I'd appreciate it.  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

B.

You can make me smile Smiley
1GEUEBTm6XfRuqAswrR6LbofnMq6VN5A5P

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
drakahn

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 16, 2013, 09:32:03 AM

a "fork" in software is like a fork in the road, Its still kind of the same road but each fork goes to a different place...

Its a copy of (Generally open source) software

In the bitcoin world a fork would be something like Litecoin...

14ga8dJ6NGpiwQkNTXg7KzwozasfaXNfEU
caveden
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1004

View Profile
January 16, 2013, 09:35:56 AM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fork_(software_development)

It would be the equivalent of creating a new cryptocurrency, whose chain is identical to Bitcoin's blockchain up to a certain point (the fork point). From that point on, they're different currencies.

This would happen if the new cryptocurrency has rules which make it incompatible with Bitcoin. For ex, when the block reward halvened, some people had the intention to fork bitcoin and create a cryptocurrency that would always give 50 BTC of inflation per new block. AFAIK they've abandoned the idea.
caveden
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1004

View Profile
January 16, 2013, 09:39:20 AM

In the bitcoin world a fork would be something like Litecoin...

Although you may say Litecoin is a fork of the Bitcoin software, it is not a fork of Bitcoin's blockchain. AFAIK, Litecoin has its own chain, with its own genesis.
sounds

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

1221iZanNi5igK7oAA7AWmYjpsyjsRbLLZ

View Profile
January 16, 2013, 10:05:28 AM

Exactly. A fork of bitcoin would be if a group of bitcoin users decided to try to force the whole bitcoin community in a new direction. Unless everyone decided to go along, the fork in the bitcoin block chain would result in the smaller group (minority) being ignored by the larger group (majority).

The bitcoin software ignores a block chain if it does not have 51% or more of new mined blocks.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4653

View Profile
January 16, 2013, 02:46:18 PM

. . . The bitcoin software ignores a block chain if it does not have 51% or more of new mined blocks.
I'm not exactly sure what you are trying to say here, but as far as I can tell you are mistaken.  The bitcoin software ignores a blockchain that does not meet the exact specifications of the protocol.  If it receives 2 blockchains that both use the exact same protocol, it chooses the blockchain that required the most work to complete (highest cumulative difficulty).
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
January 16, 2013, 04:38:54 PM

The bitcoin software ignores a block chain if it does not have 51% or more of new mined blocks.
What??

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: