Bitcoin Forum
May 30, 2024, 01:56:39 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Altcoins have been exiled to the garage in my house  (Read 1043 times)
meme magic (OP)

Activity: 115
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 18, 2016, 07:43:43 AM

I have three rigs that I'd like to continue using, but I have to set up a wireless network from my apartment to my garage.

The garage is about 75-125 feet from the apartment, and running cable is not possible.

Anyone here have experience setting up wireless networks? My standard home router just doesn't make the cut, it will show up in the connections list but the signal's too weak.

What can i do? Should i get another router? Which one?
Shibashi Dogemoto

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 18, 2016, 07:46:25 AM

I have three rigs that I'd like to continue using, but I have to set up a wireless network from my apartment to my garage.

The garage is about 75-125 feet from the apartment, and running cable is not possible.

Anyone here have experience setting up wireless networks? My standard home router just doesn't make the cut, it will show up in the connections list but the signal's too weak.

Can't you use a wifi booster or extender, or maybe a yagi antenna (altough the cost of such a yagi might be to much to overcome a 125 feet gap)?

EDIT: there are also options to send your network over your powerline... Maybe that'll work?
meme magic (OP)

View Profile
February 18, 2016, 07:55:23 AM

Can't you use a wifi booster or extender, or maybe a yagi antenna (altough the cost of such a yagi might be to much to overcome a 125 feet gap)?

EDIT: there are also options to send your network over your powerline... Maybe that'll work?

Would a booster be compatable with a yagi antenna? Could i use that as the antenna for a booster? Also do you know if the booster would need to be compatable with my regular home router?

Right now Ive got a Netgear n300 wnr2000 v4. Theres no external antenna connection.

Thanks for the ideas Smiley

Shibashi Dogemoto

View Profile
February 18, 2016, 08:08:13 AM

Would a booster be compatable with a yagi antenna? Could i use that as the antenna for a booster? Also do you know if the booster would need to be compatable with my regular home router?

Right now Ive got a Netgear n300 wnr2000 v4. Theres no external antenna connection.

Basically, a booster (or repeater or extender) should be relatively plug-and-play. It will just repeat your wifi signal, so it should more or less be really easy to setup (not to expensive either).
A yagi antenna is something different. You need to setup 2 antenna's (one on your house, one on your garage). It is rather difficult to setup, and more expensive than a booster or an ethernet over powerline setup. Also, it can be influenced by rain, mist or snow. We used to use them at my previous job to bridge a gap of about 1,5 km between two different buildings

If i were you, i'd either go for network over your powerline, or for a booster. The "problem" with the booster is that you'll need to place it at a spot that still has good reception of your AP, but also from the garage (so somewere in the middle between the two spots), and you'll need power and shelter at that spot.
meme magic (OP)

View Profile
February 18, 2016, 08:21:04 AM

Basically, a booster (or repeater or extender) should be relatively plug-and-play. It will just repeat your wifi signal, so it should more or less be really easy to setup (not to expensive either).
A yagi antenna is something different. You need to setup 2 antenna's (one on your house, one on your garage). It is rather difficult to setup, and more expensive than a booster or an ethernet over powerline setup. Also, it can be influenced by rain, mist or snow.

If i were you, i'd either go for network over your powerline, or for a booster. The "problem" with the booster is that you'll need to place it at a spot that still has good reception of your AP, but also from the garage (so somewere in the middle between the two spots), and you'll need power and shelter at that spot.

I really like the power line idea, but the garage is on a different service.

The booster idea is great too, but i dont have power between the two spots.

The yagi idea seems like it's the most practical here, save for the weather of course. I suppose I'd need a new router/booster with an external antenna connection from what you're telling me.

Do you know how the signal broadcasts from the yagi antennas? I saw 30 degrees as a spec when i took a qick look. Do you know if thats a 30 degree cone, or is it just a flat plane?

Would i basically have to point two yagi antennas at each other?

I think a yagi set up is a good way to go, provided i can keep costs reasonable. I'll do some reading.
Shibashi Dogemoto

View Profile
February 18, 2016, 08:26:03 AM

A yagi antenna is something different. You need to setup 2 antenna's (one on your house, one on your garage). It is rather difficult to setup, and more expensive than a booster or an ethernet over powerline setup. Also, it can be influenced by rain, mist or snow.

I really like the power line idea, but the garage is on a different service.

The booster idea is great too, but i dont have power between the two spots.

The yagi idea seems like it's the most practical here, save for the weather of course. I suppose I'd need a new router/booster with an external antenna connection from what you're telling me.

Do you know how the signal broadcasts from the yagi antennas? I saw 30 degrees as a spec when i took a qick look. Do you know if thats a 30 degree cone, or is it just a flat plane?

Would i basically have to point two yagi antennas at each other?

I think a yagi set up is a good way to go, provided i can keep costs reasonable. I'll do some reading.

TBH, i was the database admin at my previous job, so i do know we used a yagi between two buildings, but i didn't do the setup myself... I do know that our network guy did find it a tad difficult to get right.

BTW: check out this link: https://www.ubnt.com/products/  I'm not affiliated with these guys, but i bought a couple of their security cams a while ago, and they seemed to be really good in a price/quality ratio Smiley Also, their customer service seemed OK at that time (i asked a couple of pre-sale questions on their forum). So they might be able to help you sort out your setup before you purchase any antenna's...
meme magic (OP)

View Profile
February 27, 2016, 08:04:21 AM

Hey I just wanted to follow up on this.

First off, I'm posting wirelessly from the computer in my garage now so big win and thank you a lot.

I decided to scrap my old router totally and go with a new router and a booster setup. Both with detatchable antennas, for directional antenna upgrades later if needed.

My new network stuff:

Tp-link Archer C7 and an Amped Wireless SR10000

The things I have to go through to get to here: The outside of an apartment complex building, a concrete floor, some metal rails and a garage door from point to point. The total distance from my router to booster was about 100 feet, and the booster was reading ~53% signal at that point. It delivers about 33% of my internet connection to over 200 feet away total (I have multiple garages).

Also I'm using a rosewill antenna with usb connector on the rig.

I've got 2 more rigs to set up for sure Smiley
wolverine5pl

Activity: 431
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 28, 2016, 02:54:53 PM

I have same.  I just used power line adapter (Internet from socket from electricity) and works fine.  Using my titan with this
meme magic (OP)

View Profile
March 24, 2016, 03:43:19 AM

another update on this.

first off, theres three rigs set up now, thinking about a fourth, but not really ready to buy equipment at this point.

id rather get minor bugs worked out for a while.

one not so good one that came up - every few days the signal booster drops out and i have to physically reset the device. returns arent possible, so in hindsight dont cheap out on the booster..

three solutions im thinking about for this are getting a second booster to run a redundant network, putting the booster on a timer that resets it, or just getting a better booster and scrapping this one.

not much has come up other than that.
Shibashi Dogemoto

View Profile
March 24, 2016, 06:27:52 AM

another update on this.

first off, theres three rigs set up now, thinking about a fourth, but not really ready to buy equipment at this point.

id rather get minor bugs worked out for a while.

one not so good one that came up - every few days the signal booster drops out and i have to physically reset the device. returns arent possible, so in hindsight dont cheap out on the booster..

three solutions im thinking about for this are getting a second booster to run a redundant network, putting the booster on a timer that resets it, or just getting a better booster and scrapping this one.

not much has come up other than that.

I think your choice will depend on the income you generate:
if you make a lot of coins, it might be wise to invest in better hardware, if it's just a hobby, it might be sufficient to just put a timer on your booster and reset it once in a while... Offcourse, if you do this, you always run the risk the booster hangs just a couple hours after your last reset, and you lose a lot of miningpower untill the next reset.
It's basically a simple calculation what will make you the most satoshi's Smiley
meme magic (OP)

View Profile
April 04, 2016, 12:35:45 AM

true, at least i already have a timer i can use here.

unfortinately the dropping out issue has persisted and is now happening daily.

finally read some reviews of this repeater and im apparently not the only one. about 5-10% of the people that bought this repeater have the same issue im having, daily as well.

its right on the edge of paying monthly rent and hobby, so its hard to tell what i want to do. the existing wiring has capacity for 50% more gpus, which installing would put me in the range of pushing it out of hobby and into part time job category, so i think the plan is going to be to try the timer for a few weeks and decide if i want to throw $ into more rigs.
sandy56

Activity: 62
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 04, 2016, 07:53:27 AM

Personally, I like everything hard wired if possible.

Might it be possible to have your isp just give you a box in your garage. With a cheap starter plan it may be cheapest and then use Remote Desktop?

Remember to set Remote Desktop connection IPs to just the ones you use otherwise the hackers will be at it in a day. Best of luck.
Bepesand

Activity: 151
Merit: 105

View Profile
April 04, 2016, 11:00:04 AM

Have you tried the powerline network adapter? I am thinking of buying one for the rigs in my garage.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: