Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 02:57:29 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Owner of Largest Libertarian Site Accepting Bitcoin Donations  (Read 3307 times)
Coinster (OP)

Activity: 222
Merit: 101

View Profile
January 16, 2013, 07:57:49 PM

Bitcoin:
Frankly, I don't know how to use Bitcoin, but here is an address you can use to send some bits:

16oZXSGAcDrSbZeBnSu84w5UWwbLtZsBms

If anything shows up in that wallet, It'll help me in my education.

http://www.dailypaul.com/270457/the-daily-paul-needs-your-help-fundraiser

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
flix
Legendary

Activity: 1227
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 16, 2013, 08:01:12 PM

Nice!
Hopefully all the Ron Paul fans start using BTC!

Will donate.
GoWest

Activity: 563
Merit: 501

betwithbtc.com

View Profile WWW
January 16, 2013, 08:59:35 PM

DailyPaul is now the 10th largest website to accept Bitcoin.

http://www.thebitcointrader.com/2011/12/bitcoin-bounty-ladder.html

flix
Legendary

Activity: 1227

View Profile
January 16, 2013, 09:38:43 PM

See donations received here:

http://blockchain.info/q/addressbalance/16oZXSGAcDrSbZeBnSu84w5UWwbLtZsBms?confirmations=1

I reckon that if he gets $100 in donations (approx. BTC 7 ), it'll be enough to convince him to keep accepting.
hazek
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

View Profile
January 16, 2013, 09:53:05 PM

I suggest people donate even if just 50cents worth so the owner gets a good first impression and perhaps helps me win over the majority of their crowd which is still largely emotionally and irrationally hostile towards Bitcoin.

I already donated.

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

If however you enjoyed my post: 15j781DjuJeVsZgYbDVt2NZsGrWKRWFHpp
coretechs
Donator

Activity: 362
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 16, 2013, 10:20:17 PM

As someone mentioned in the comments, he should really consider setting up with BitPay so he can receive USD.

The explanations for how to secure a wallet are generally a big turn-off for someone unfamiliar with bitcoin who is just trying to raise money to cover costs.

https://bitcoindoc.com - The Rise and Rise of Bitcoin | https://blocktap.io - Lightning powered crypto query engine
hazek
Legendary

View Profile
January 16, 2013, 10:23:39 PM

As someone mentioned in the comments, he should really consider setting up with BitPay so he can receive USD.

The explanations for how to secure a wallet are generally a big turn-off for someone unfamiliar with bitcoin who is just trying to raise money to cover costs.

He is a web developer, meaning a big boy and can handle the technical stuff. (otherwise I'd agree with you.)

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

bracek

Activity: 530
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 16, 2013, 10:24:59 PM

he has to change this :

Frankly, I don't know how to use Bitcoin, but here is an address you can use to send some bits:

If anything shows up in that wallet, It'll help me in my education. If someone can educate me on how better to receive bits, please post it in the comments below, or use the contact form.

that sounds very irresponsible
if I had a gazillion of coins, I would not send even 1 there out of respect to Bitcoin,

does he have access to that address,
does he even have that wallet,
does he have it encrypted (password known to him/already forgotten, lost)

hazek
Legendary

View Profile
January 16, 2013, 10:46:40 PM

he has to change this :

If anything shows up in that wallet, It'll help me in my education. If someone can educate me on how better to receive bits, please post it in the comments below, or use the contact form.

that sounds very irresponsible
if I had a gazillion of coins, I would not send even 1 there out of respect to Bitcoin,

does he have access to that address,
does he even have that wallet,
does he have it encrypted (password known to him/already forgotten, lost)

Yes the message accompanying the address isn't the best but you can't even imagine how hostile that environment is and how much shit he'd get from the vast majority of that community if he accepted bitcoins overtly enthusiastic. But you're concerns are valid and have already been addressed. You can check the comments and see so.

Btw someone just donated $156 worth! Who ever you are, man, nice job!

Spekulatius
Legendary

Activity: 1022

View Profile
January 16, 2013, 10:52:48 PM

Hey GOWEST! Nice to see you back in the game!

Does that mean the ladder bounties are back also??
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2384

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
January 16, 2013, 11:46:57 PM

Most Daily Paul folks are very gold bug oriented so their hostility toward Bitcoins comes from that angle as opposed to those who see the dollar as a valid currency.

Getting past the "I want something I can hold in my hand" mentality is a big hurdle.

The best approach for that is the fact that if the government gets so bad that you have to jump ship, they are likely searching your bags on your way out taking any gold you may have on you. But with Bitcoin you can just memorize your key or put it on a piece of paper and you are all set.

Then the "what if there is no electricity" crowd pokes their heads in...

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
hazek
Legendary

View Profile
January 16, 2013, 11:52:03 PM

Yeah.. but it's getting better, especially when their "heroes" start accepting it like the owner of dailypaul or Lew Rockwell..

GoWest

Activity: 563
Merit: 501

betwithbtc.com

View Profile WWW
January 16, 2013, 11:59:13 PM

Hey GOWEST! Nice to see you back in the game!

Does that mean the ladder bounties are back also??

Nope.  Got rid of the bounties.

xxjs

Activity: 280

View Profile
January 17, 2013, 12:29:22 AM

Negative, he should just receive the bitcoins, get the same feeling he has when he has a gold coin in his pocket, then blog about that.
HBBZ

Activity: 570

View Profile
January 17, 2013, 01:55:02 AM

I suggest people donate even if just 50cents worth so the owner gets a good first impression and perhaps helps me win over the majority of their crowd which is still largely emotionally and irrationally hostile towards Bitcoin.

I already donated.

This is the first timet that I know the hostility against bitcoin. Several days agao I responded to a thread "how do we change people's negative mentality about bitcoin " with an essay https://www.coindl.com/page/item/651 .
robamichael

Activity: 144
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
January 17, 2013, 02:23:54 AM

Since when is the DP overly hostile against Bitcoins?

Also, Lewrockwell is apparently the largest libertarian site according to that http://www.thebitcointrader.com/2011/12/bitcoin-bounty-ladder.html link

DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
January 17, 2013, 02:43:00 AM

Negative, he should just receive the bitcoins, get the same feeling he has when he has a gold coin in his pocket, then blog about that.

OR someone can let him know he can sell us the Bitcoins at https://fastcash4bitcoins.com and we will send him some gold or silver which he CAN hold in his hand. Smiley The best way to convince a gold bug that Bitcoin has value is to show him that someone will give him gold for it.  "Hmm gold is valuable, this guy will give me Gold for these bits.... might be worth it to research this Bitcoin thing further".

On edit:  Personally donated a few coins.

Also sad to see the confusion and frustration from the QT client.   The bitcoin.org homepage REALLY REALLY REALLY has to stop railroading users into the worst possible choice for new unsavy users ... the reference client.  How much more obvious does it need to become before it is accepted that the reference client is best suited for power users, enthusiasts, developers, and merchants/service providers.   It is hands down the worst possible "0 day" experience for a new uneducated users.   I notice in one post he says "the balance is still zero but it says synching I'll check in 15 minutes".  The realization it may be days (up to a week if he is using a low end older laptop with spotty internet connection) before he can even see his funds is just bad PR.

Coinster (OP)

Activity: 222
Merit: 101

View Profile
January 17, 2013, 03:20:24 AM

Also, Lewrockwell is apparently the largest libertarian site according to that http://www.thebitcointrader.com/2011/12/bitcoin-bounty-ladder.html link

Depends how you measure largest. Lewrockwell is only content based. DailyPaul.com has most active members.
robamichael

Activity: 144
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
January 17, 2013, 03:36:58 AM

Depends how you measure largest. Lewrockwell is only content based. DailyPaul.com has most active members.

Ah I see. Popularity vs. Member Count.

Yes, well I guess if there are no members, you can not be the largest. Touche.

Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540

View Profile WWW
January 17, 2013, 03:56:13 AM

As far as I'm aware even though Ron Paul believes in the idea of using gold or silver as currency he also wanted to allow competing currencies into the market not just the U.S Dollar, so yeah >_> in regards to the 'what if we run out of electricity thing after doing my own research into the subject, we have a good number of ways to generate electricity in all sorts of places, but we're absolutely shit at storing it all so much of it goes to waste and we don't get to use it when we really need it.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: