Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 02:21:28 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Gov't ability to break encryption  (Read 5282 times)
ladydark

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 21, 2018, 09:58:47 AM

I have only a beginner's understanding of encryption, so please bear with me. It was explained to me once that PGP encryption would take a long number of years to break with commonly available computer equipment, but that if, say, the NSA really wanted to crack somebody's encrypted message, they have quite advanced computers that would be able to do it in a less than ridiculous amount of time. Say, a few months.

Is this true? And if it is true, would the NSA be able to break Bitcoin encryption and therefore destroy the value of bitcoins if they really want Ed to? Or is Bitcoin better protected than PGP?
Its said that it would be possible if Quantum computers come in to existence.But it would almost take 20 more years for it to come in to existence.So no need to worry about that immediately.But also,work is going on to promote it.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
sud

Activity: 826
Merit: 301

View Profile
April 21, 2018, 10:02:19 AM

The question is even if the goverment already has the ability to break crypto encryption would they risk revealing it just to get some bitcoins? I mean wouldn't it be better for them to keep it secret, using it for the real threats and risks?

BTW I think we will see quantum computers way earlier than 10 years form now, so it is possible that gov may already using it.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: