Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 10:00:16 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Boards that don't contribute to activity  (Read 5061 times)
lottery248
Legendary

Activity: 1568
Merit: 1005

beware of your keys.

View Profile
February 20, 2016, 01:45:40 AM

the boards like the 'games and rounds' which can make you a lot of posts should not be counted, because they are barely substantial.
not for off topic, since that page gone stricter, people could not post useless posts anymore.

out of ability to use the signature, i want a new ban strike policy that will fade the strike after 90~120 days of the ban and not to be traced back, like google | email me for anything urgent, message will possibly not be instantly responded
i am not really active for some reason
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jacee
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1024

View Profile
February 20, 2016, 01:57:14 AM

IMO, Not all posts in the games and rounds should not be counted in the activity. I mean, I've seen posts that is substantial in there but barely indeed. So if the games and rounds will be excluded then I guess it's fine.
Also for the other posts o other boards, why not just make a rule that these insubstantial posts should be considered as a spam for activity farming and just report it to a mod and immediately be deleted. In that way, the whole board will not be affected but only the shitposts on some threads. Just my opinion. Smiley
Zeke2345

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile
February 20, 2016, 03:20:21 AM

Would add all of marketplace, end of the day some members only come out of there to defend their reputations. Its a nice aspect to the forum but its pretty self serving in many aspects.

██████████    YoBit.net - Cryptocurrency Exchange - Over 350 coins
█████████    <<  ● $$$ - $$$ - $$$ - $$$ - $$$ - $$$ - $$$   >>
██████████    <<  ● Play DICE! Win 1-5 btc just for 5 mins!  >>
Jet Cash
Legendary

Activity: 2702
Merit: 2456

https://JetCash.com

View Profile WWW
February 20, 2016, 08:54:25 AM

I guess it depends on what you think a title should reflect. If you want it to refer to technical competence, then exclude all trading and similar boards. Activity means "activity", and should include all posts if one is being a purist. To take an extreme case, if a guy spends his time selling products, and makes no contribution to any Bitcoin discussions, then do you want him to end up as a legendary poster?

14 posts a fortnight is not a lot, you can hit that just by getting into a single argument about politics.

Offgrid campers allow you to enjoy life and preserve your health and wealth.
Save old Cars - my project to save old cars from scrapage schemes, and to reduce the sale of new cars.
My new Bitcoin transfer address is - bc1q9gtz8e40en6glgxwk4eujuau2fk5wxrprs6fys
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
February 20, 2016, 09:08:35 AM

..which pings an admin if an account checked with his service meets to many low post quality criteria https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1142314.0.
Why would you ping an admin?

not for off topic, since that page gone stricter, people could not post useless posts anymore.
It has not. You're not looking closely enough. Even though a lot of the threads that were being spammed are locked, the situation hasn't resolved itself.

why not just make a rule that these insubstantial posts should be considered as a spam for activity farming and just report it to a mod and immediately be deleted. In that way, the whole board will not be affected but only the shitposts on some threads. Just my opinion. Smiley
What are you implying here? Automatic deletion? If not, then you're not suggesting anything new.

Activity means "activity", and should include all posts if one is being a purist.
Posts of barely any to no value should not be counted towards activity. Do you want someone to end up a legendary poster after 1000 posts in the games section? Of course not.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
Dadiansun

Activity: 27
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 20, 2016, 09:36:03 PM

I would suggest finding some boards that should not count towards activity, as I would theorize that the worse of signature spammers both farm accounts (eg collecting potential activity by collecting activity posts by making a single post every two weeks), and spam the forum with paid signatures.

Another potential solution would be to make it so you need more then a single post made in a two week period in order to collect the (potential) activity points. It could either be setup so that you need to make at least 4 (or some other number equal to or less then 14) posts in order to collect the 14 activity posts, or so that you both need to make at least 2 (or some other number equal to or less then 14) posts and be online at least 2 hours (or some other amount of time) during that activity period in order to collect the activity points. Yes time online can easily be faked, however it is at least a small hurdle for people who are spamming the forum in order to collect potential activity points.

We should also set a limit of posts counted towards the activity. For example, people can post as many constructive post as they want, but only 6 posts a day can be counted towards the activity.
Quickseller
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2870
Merit: 2298

View Profile
February 20, 2016, 10:46:58 PM

I would suggest finding some boards that should not count towards activity, as I would theorize that the worse of signature spammers both farm accounts (eg collecting potential activity by collecting activity posts by making a single post every two weeks), and spam the forum with paid signatures.

Another potential solution would be to make it so you need more then a single post made in a two week period in order to collect the (potential) activity points. It could either be setup so that you need to make at least 4 (or some other number equal to or less then 14) posts in order to collect the 14 activity posts, or so that you both need to make at least 2 (or some other number equal to or less then 14) posts and be online at least 2 hours (or some other amount of time) during that activity period in order to collect the activity points. Yes time online can easily be faked, however it is at least a small hurdle for people who are spamming the forum in order to collect potential activity points.

We should also set a limit of posts counted towards the activity. For example, people can post as many constructive post as they want, but only 6 posts a day can be counted towards the activity.
That might make things a little complex, however it is something that I would agree with.

(also very interesting that you created an account to make that very non-controversial statement)
botany
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1064

View Profile
February 21, 2016, 02:16:01 AM

The only people who would be impacted would be the activity farmers when they are trying to catch up with their potential activity. It will take them longer, but they will still catch up, nevertheless.
dogie
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
February 21, 2016, 05:26:49 AM

The only people who would be impacted would be the activity farmers when they are trying to catch up with their potential activity. It will take them longer, but they will still catch up, nevertheless.

Yeah, that is a bit of an arbitrary change. I still think the best solution is increasing the activity per day cap such that its out of reach of activity farmers because the 'requirements' for being active are so much higher..

Quickseller
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2870
Merit: 2298

View Profile
February 21, 2016, 06:00:15 AM

It would cause them to put more effort into accumulating activity points and hence make farming activity less profitable. With farming activity less profitable there would be less of it, and it would be easier to police (moderate, find accounts to ban) and low quality posts would be less of an overall problem.
Heutenamos

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

Act #Neutral,Think y'self as a citizen of Universe

View Profile
February 21, 2016, 08:56:43 AM

They will simply start making posts in meta and else .What is the point of this thread ?

yo
Joel_Jantsen
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1308

Get your game girl

View Profile
February 21, 2016, 09:02:55 AM

They will simply start making posts in meta and else .What is the point of this thread ?

Could you elaborate "elsewhere"? How can you make posts of 5-10 characters in the Meta section? Meta section is always on High priority as compared to G & R ,so mostly the shit posts will be nuked by the Mods anyway.Moreover the posts in G & R or Investor Based Games are totally shit which doesn't contribute to the forum or bitcoins,just potential activity spammers.We need the changes indeed! 
Heutenamos

View Profile
February 21, 2016, 09:18:23 AM

Could you elaborate "elsewhere"? How can you make posts of 5-10 characters in the Meta section? Meta section is always on High priority as compared to G & R ,so mostly the shit posts will be nuked by the Mods anyway.Moreover the posts in G & R or Investor Based Games are totally shit which doesn't contribute to the forum or bitcoins,just potential activity spammers.We need the changes indeed! 

loll.. why cant they ? simple example would be "Stake your Bitcoin address here"

yo
InvoKing
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1065

✋(▀Ĺ̯ ▀-͠ )

View Profile WWW
February 21, 2016, 10:15:49 AM

I prefer to exclude politics and society (& games and rounds)  and keep counting the other boards including off-topic (i think it is already heavily monitored so it shouldn't be a problem comparing to the previous months.)
Btw maybe a poll isn't a bad idea?

PSPD:law and order enforcement!
Press Section Police Department!
GannickusX

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 21, 2016, 11:04:38 AM

loll.. why cant they ? simple example would be "Stake your Bitcoin address here"

Yeah this guy is right, just look at his own posts here, totally shit so he can increase his post count, however by restricting certain sections it makes it harder for spammers to spam.
Joel_Jantsen
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1308

Get your game girl

View Profile
February 21, 2016, 11:14:27 AM

Yeah this guy is right, just look at his own posts here, totally shit so he can increase his post count, however by restricting certain sections it makes it harder for spammers to spam.

Which guy are you talking about here ? Be specific ? Assuming its me :
1.My signature campaign is fixed rate ,only pays for 20 posts maximum per week.
2.They don't pay for posts in Meta section.
3.What is your definition of shit posts ? Please explain.
 However I have listed out a few if your posts which definitely satisfies my definition of shit-posts.

Is the campaign manager even looking at these posts?

He was making stupid excuses to not send the money.

I think it's obvious that he si not the real one.

and many more...

@Heutenamos : Okay how much can they spam in the Staked address thread?And how ? Doesn't make sense to me.

Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
February 21, 2016, 11:30:34 AM

Your point being? Meta is carefully watched and they'd expose themselves more easily in such sections. It is much harder to contribute in some and avoid detection/punishment.

Okay how much can they spam in the Staked address thread?And how ? Doesn't make sense to me.
Open thread -> Count total number of posts -> Deduce posts made by people in sig. campaigns from the total -> Look at remaining number (percentage wise) -> It should make sense now.

Keep counting the other boards including off-topic (i think it is already heavily monitored so it shouldn't be a problem comparing to the previous months.)
It isn't and no. Off-topic is among those sections that is used to farm up accounts (basically it became a trash section).

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
Heutenamos

View Profile
February 21, 2016, 11:34:48 AM

Your point being? Meta is carefully watched and they'd expose themselves more easily in such sections. It is much harder to contribute in some and avoid detection/punishment.
Why cant they simply elaborate the post in any of the threads  ?

@Heutenamos : Okay how much can they spam in the Staked address thread?And how ? Doesn't make sense to me.
Why would they spam ? they only need one eligible post to get the potential.That was just an example but in reality there are hundreds of such instances where mods don't delete short posts.

I don't see the point of this thread,my suggestions would depend on WHY thermos is trolling.

yo
Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
February 21, 2016, 11:36:00 AM

Why cant they simply elaborate the post in any of the threads  ?
I don't think I understand the question correctly. What do you mean?

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
stiffbud

Activity: 980
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 21, 2016, 11:37:47 AM

Off topic is not yet heavily moderated. There is improvent but nothing too big has changed.
Is it possible that posts that'll be included in activity update should have a minimum characters in it? I mean, like a post should have a 150 charaters or more in it to be counted.

Decentralized
Asset-Backed Banking

▄▄██████████████████
 █████████████████████
█████▀▀
████▀    ████
████     ████
████     ████
         ████     ████
         ████    ▄████
               ▄▄█████
█████████████████████