Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 01:33:23 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Butterfly Labs loses Lawsuit... 39 million  (Read 1919 times)
unamis76
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1009

View Profile
February 21, 2016, 09:53:07 PM

Can't afford to pay with all those Bitcoins allegedly mined on customers machines? Wow...
mercistheman (OP)

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 24, 2016, 12:23:57 AM

So they settled for a whopping $15, 000... son of a bitches got away with it.
http://www.kansascity.com/news/business/article62022452.html
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
February 24, 2016, 12:55:07 AM

So they settled for a whopping $15, 000... son of a bitches got away with it.

They were always going to get away with it - because FTC. It's not like a real agency was investigating BFL. I wonder how many coins were mined at various pools with customer equipment. It would be so easy to spread the hash rate around and hide thousands of bitcoins. Chances are they got away rich. They just need to fake poverty for a few years and then retire to a little island somewhere.

nickenburg

Activity: 434
Merit: 511

View Profile
February 24, 2016, 01:14:17 AM

Wow like 6 months ago I still had a pre order open there,
It took really long so I asked for my bitcoins back.
They did send them to me so I guess i'm lucky then?

Unfortunate but i remember visiting there site and i was like wow these guys are the best
I guess they where really good in promising things and not delivering it's a shame
Gleb Gamow
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1145

View Profile
February 24, 2016, 04:17:54 AM

The federal government has gained a $38.6 million judgment against Butterfly Labs, a Leawood-based seller of bitcoin machines, but agreed to collect only $15,000.

Butterfly Labs consented to the judgment under terms that essentially excuse it from any additional payments because of its limited financial resources. The agreement is based on financial information the company presented in U.S District Court.

“We’re paying $15,000 to settle this case,” said Michael Foster, an attorney at the Polsinelli law firm representing Butterfly Labs.

Officially, the judgment is suspended but could be reinstated if the company is found to have misrepresented its financial condition, or “if we lied about our financials,” Foster said.

Bitcoin is a digital currency that has gained traction among some consumers, businesses and governments. Bitcoins exist only digitally and are “mined” by using sophisticated computer equipment to verify increasingly difficult calculations that verify bitcoin transactions.

The Federal Trade Commission agreed to the settlement a year and a half after persuading a federal judge to shut down Butterfly Labs as a bogus business. It said the company had taken 20,000 consumers for up to $50 million.

What are the odds that BFL lied about its financials?

Gleb Gamow
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1145

View Profile
February 24, 2016, 04:52:55 AM

The federal government has gained a $38.6 million judgment against Butterfly Labs, a Leawood-based seller of bitcoin machines, but agreed to collect only $15,000.

Butterfly Labs consented to the judgment under terms that essentially excuse it from any additional payments because of its limited financial resources. The agreement is based on financial information the company presented in U.S District Court.

“We’re paying $15,000 to settle this case,” said Michael Foster, an attorney at the Polsinelli law firm representing Butterfly Labs.

Officially, the judgment is suspended but could be reinstated if the company is found to have misrepresented its financial condition, or “if we lied about our financials,” Foster said.

Bitcoin is a digital currency that has gained traction among some consumers, businesses and governments. Bitcoins exist only digitally and are “mined” by using sophisticated computer equipment to verify increasingly difficult calculations that verify bitcoin transactions.

The Federal Trade Commission agreed to the settlement a year and a half after persuading a federal judge to shut down Butterfly Labs as a bogus business. It said the company had taken 20,000 consumers for up to $50 million.

Sonny Vleisides: Hello, BitPay. Hey, I know like everybody knows that you're only a third-party payment processor and NOT an exchange, but I need you to process a million dollars worth of bitcoins we received the other day for the sale of Monarchs from an industrial client of ours that we've bumped to the front of the queue ahead of singular monumental assholes orders. Can you do it?

BitPay: What's in it for us?

Sonny: Glad you asked. We've already moved the bitcoins once, then moved them again to the 1QAHVyRzkmD4j1pU5W89htZ3c6D6E7iWDs bitcoin wallet address. We'll send you the coins and you get to pen a press release declaring that you're the first to process a million dollars worth of BTC to fiat (I'll later let you know what bank account to send the money). We'll all pretend that 1QAHVyRzkmD4j1pU5W89htZ3c6D6E7iWDs belongs to HashTrade but it's really ours. You game?

BitPay: Sounds like a plan, but make sure word doesn't get out that this is a ruse, mmmkay?

Sonny: Mums the word. We even have Josh Zerlan in on it via a 10 BTC illegal bet with the ONLY dude who's wise to us at the moment, thus shutting his ass up till January of next year. Here's the funny part. A year from now, we here are BFL are going to send him a 1099 for services rendered, thus deducting Josh's bet from our bottom line. We may even send him a foam pitchfork for shits and giggles.

BitPay: Okay, it's done, but I don't feel too comfortable about doing this.

Sonny: Hey, you may not feel too comfortable now, wait till you we extort your ass in doing this exchange thingy on an ongoing basis over the next year or so to the tune of over nine million dollars more.

BitPay: Where are these bitcoins coming from?

Sonny: We mine them with ... wait for it ... miners that are customers already paid for and are waiting for them to be shipped, but we have them on hold believing that the machines aren't finished yet and that we're still testing them, with each test HAHAHA failing, but we're working hard to resolve the issues.

BitPay: Where the fuck do you have these miners?

Sonny: Some here at the office in plain site, some at my house, some at my family's homes, some in a cave, and even some in chicken coop.

BitPay: You guys are so bad! HAHAHA

Sonny: Yeah, we know. The other bitcoins came from the ones you already sent us for purchases which we've been sitting on till the price rises which has and continues to do so. We're simply returning them back to you in exchange for fiat (again, I'll be providing bank accounts info shortly).

QUESTION: How the fuck was I, Bruno Kucinskas, able to figure it all out and provide proof via ONLY Google et al., but the FTC couldn't do such with its unlimited resources, arriving at a tens of millions dollar fine, but reduced it to umpteen thousand dollars to the same dude fined ONLY $100 USD for ripping off tens of millions from the elderly with his lottery scheme, not counting never changed with stealing tens of millions via his LFC and online gambling (with Jeff Ownby) schemes?
elvizzzzzzz

Activity: 135
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 24, 2016, 08:13:14 AM

Y'know what really, really, really P**&*&*s me off about the BFL scam?

Don't get me wrong, BFL _owes_ me, but I would have been in profit except
for the greed and stupidity of people who bought from BFL well past the day
it became clear that it was too late to invest in mining equipment.

Even today, it's the same lemmings, different cliff.

Never underestimate the stupidity of people in large numbers.

And thanks to all who have added to this thread, and made the world
a shade better. FU_BFL!
DimensionZ

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

Shit, did I leave the stove on?

View Profile
February 24, 2016, 09:49:25 AM

The prospect of getting 'free' money by buying heavily overpriced mining equipment could skew the judgement even of very prudent people haha. I mean when the greed kicks in you don't think rationally  Wink

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: