Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 07:39:39 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Let's use bitcoins to moderate this forum  (Read 1773 times)
DATA COMMANDER (OP)

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 09:44:15 PM

Really, the details don't matter that much. Bitcoins are good at micro-transactions. People are going to get tired of trolls on this forum very quickly. Why not set up a system where bounties are placed on flagging threads and posts which violate the forum rules? Think Craigslist but with a "flagging account" that posters can donate to and which (automatically?) sends coins to people who accurately flag worthless posts.

See my sig if you think this idea is worth a tip. Smiley

Tips are appreciated (very tiny tips are perfectly okay!) 13gDRynPfLH3NNAz3nVyU3k3mYVcfeiQuF
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
rezin777

Activity: 154

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 09:47:57 PM

Why not set up a system where bounties are placed on flagging threads and posts which violate the forum rules?

Could I get a link to the forum rules?
Ksg89

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 09:49:57 PM

Another money making thread?
DATA COMMANDER (OP)

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 09:53:24 PM

Apparently there are no rules on this forum. This is strange, because there is a button which can be used to report posts to the moderators. (Also, there are moderators.)

I'm not suggesting wanton censorship. Maybe we could have a sub-forum or a page where mods could send all deleted posts and threads. Then we could keep this forum civil and uncluttered without "zomg nazi mods!" We can moderate this forum in a transparent way.

Tips are appreciated (very tiny tips are perfectly okay!) 13gDRynPfLH3NNAz3nVyU3k3mYVcfeiQuF
rezin777

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 09:59:29 PM

Apparently there are no rules on this forum. This is strange, because there is a button which can be used to report posts to the moderators. (Also, there are moderators.)

Good! I've used the report button for things like spam and phishing. It worked well. The moderators are doing a fine job.
DATA COMMANDER (OP)

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 10:01:03 PM

Good! I've used the report button for things like spam and phishing. It worked well. The moderators are doing a fine job.

We can do better.

unemployed

Activity: 336
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
June 08, 2011, 10:01:57 PM

Personally I can commit to not trolling every day I get more than 0.1 btc in donations.

╭═══════ Petlife ═══════╮
   Blockchain in veterinary medicine    │
╰════ https://icopet.life/ ════╯
flaxceed

Activity: 389
Merit: 250

>>Note new email flaxceed@tormail.org<<

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 10:05:10 PM

i very strongly agree that the mods are great here.  many boards have nazi mods that wield their power in a ridiculous fashion.  this forum runs very well like it is.  and i will undercut "unemployed" and refrain from trolling for .05BTC per day.

//////////////////////////////////////////////
>>>>>>flaxceed@tormail.org<<<<<<
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

>>>  NOTE:  This is a new email address.  It is now tormail.org, and no longer tormail.net!  <<<

DATA COMMANDER (OP)

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 10:09:59 PM

http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=13685.0

This thread, the title of which is an outright lie, has been on the front page, uncontested and unmoderated, for nearly an hour.

marhjan

Activity: 215
Merit: 105

Poorer than I ought to be

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 10:11:50 PM

i very strongly agree that the mods are great here.  many boards have nazi mods that wield their power in a ridiculous fashion.  this forum runs very well like it is.  and i will undercut "unemployed" and refrain from trolling for .05BTC per day.

And I promise not to troll for the bargain basement price of only 0.02BTC per week.  See how I did that???  just a weekly not daily payment, anyone care to take me up on it?  LOL...   the forum seems pretty well moderated to me so far.

Donations happily accepted @ 15qxNsc7pBiz5kXpAJykw4etzMbZitm2mk
lacedwithkerosene

Activity: 112

View Profile WWW
June 08, 2011, 10:13:50 PM

Yeah, if you do that, then someone creates a duplicate account and flags their own shitty posts, and makes money ...

darkwon

Activity: 57
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 10:14:15 PM

http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=13685.0

This thread, the title of which is an outright lie, has been on the front page, uncontested and unmoderated, for nearly an hour.

Chill, dude! A thread like this will not get (serious) people to sell.. You can stop your campaign.
DATA COMMANDER (OP)

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 10:18:15 PM

Bitcoin: the future of money; the cash of the Internet; but using it to incentivize people to moderate an online forum? Unpossible!

Freakin

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 10:19:44 PM

I personally think we need more sub-forums.  There is too much traffic in teh current forums and topics disappear in hours.

We certainly need a "market discussion" forum to contain all the threads about mtgox movement.

Also this is probably better suited to the Meta forum
unemployed

Activity: 336

View Profile WWW
June 08, 2011, 10:21:56 PM

And I promise not to troll for the bargain basement price of only 0.02BTC per week.  See how I did that???  just a weekly not daily payment, anyone care to take me up on it?  LOL...   the forum seems pretty well moderated to me so far.

Your trolling guys is simply not annoying enough to get my rates.
Read my posts and learn from the master.

╭═══════ Petlife ═══════╮
   Blockchain in veterinary medicine    │
╰════ https://icopet.life/ ════╯
DATA COMMANDER (OP)

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 10:30:27 PM

Also this is probably better suited to the Meta forum

If we had a system set up to reward moderators, this probably would have been moved to the proper forum within minutes of it's creation.

Guys, I'm not talking about paying moderators a huge amount. I'm pointing out that there are lots of things that we're used to not paying for because it's not worth it to set up the infrastructure, and because fees are so high that micro-payments are infeasible.

Ask yourself: would you pay $1 to have content-free posts on this forum taken care of in a matter of minutes rather than a matter of hours? Probably not. But would you pay a tenth of a cent for it? Now that's a good question.

SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 04:52:22 AM

I was thinking about creating another bitcoin forum.  Mainly for purposes of competition/duplicity - if this forum goes down, but another well-used one is still up, discussions can continue there.

So say I set up another forum.  Should it be entirely paid? Or VIP/paid sections with free sections for newbie members?
DATA COMMANDER (OP)

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 05:57:22 AM

I was thinking about creating another bitcoin forum.  Mainly for purposes of competition/duplicity - if this forum goes down, but another well-used one is still up, discussions can continue there.

So say I set up another forum.  Should it be entirely paid? Or VIP/paid sections with free sections for newbie members?

I was thinking something more along the following lines:

- Users can donate bitcoins to a "moderation fund" if they so desire (perhaps encouraged by recognizing members who donate)
- Anyone can create a "moderator account" and go around flagging posts that are abusive, pointlessly inflammatory, etc.
- Every week or so, some open-source algorithm determines which moderator was the most effective based on some metric or combination of metrics
- Coins from the moderation fund are distributed among the moderators based on some agreed-upon algorithm

Optionally, threads and posts that get deleted could instead be moved to a "graveyard", so that people aren't worried about censorship--they can always go through the graveyard and attempt to "resurrect" posts and threads that they believe were deleted unfairly (based on some sort of scoring or voting system)

No one would be forced to donate to the moderation fund, but the more donations the fund received, the better-moderated the forum would be, presumably.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: