Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 12:34:48 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Making a BTC node hidden service?  (Read 573 times)
Abiky (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1363

www.Crypto.Games: Multiple coins, multiple games

View Profile
February 19, 2016, 10:24:33 PM

As far as I know, there isn't practically any BTC nodes running under the Tor network. (based on what I have seen on the web) I would like to know how do I setup a full BTC node that would run as a hidden service under the onion network. Is there any simple way to do this? A guide or tutorial would be really helpful. Please let me know since I want to support Bitcoin as much as I can.  Smiley

█████████████████████████
███████▄▄▀▀███▀▀▄▄███████
████████▄███▄████████
█████▄▄█▀▀███▀▀█▄▄█████
████▀▀██▀██████▀██▀▀████
████▄█████████████▄████
███████▀███████▀███████
████▀█████████████▀████
████▄▄██▄████▄██▄▄████
█████▀▀███▀▄████▀▀█████
████████▀███▀████████
███████▀▀▄▄███▄▄▀▀███████
 CRYPTOGAMES 
 Catch the winning spirit! 
█▄░▀███▌░▄
███▄░▀█░▐██▄
▀▀▀▀▀░░░▀▀▀▀▀
████▌░▐█████▀
████░░█████
███▌░▐███▀
███░░███
██▌░▐█▀
PROGRESSIVE
      JACKPOT      
██░░▄▄
▀▀░░████▄
▄▄▄▄██▀░░▄▄
░░░▀▀█░░▀██▄
███▄░░▀▄░█▀▀
█████░░█░░▄▄█
█████░░██████
█████░░█░░▀▀█
LOW HOUSE
         EDGE         
██▄
███░░░░░░░▄▄
█▀░░░░░░░████
█▄░░░░░░░░█▀
██▄░░░░░░▄█
███▄▄░░▄██▌
██████████
█████████▌
PREMIUM VIP
 MEMBERSHIP 
DICE   ROULETTE   BLACKJACK   KENO   MINESWEEPER   VIDEO POKER   PLINKO   SLOT   LOTTERY
achow101
Legendary

Activity: 3402
Merit: 6642

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
February 19, 2016, 11:46:27 PM

It is actually very simple now. First start up tor, then start Bitcoin Core with the -listenonion flag and -torpassword=<pass> flag where <pass> is your control port password if you have one set. In order to use it though, you will need to enable the control port in the torrc file.

Abiky (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1363

www.Crypto.Games: Multiple coins, multiple games

View Profile
February 20, 2016, 12:27:21 AM

It is actually very simple now. First start up tor, then start Bitcoin Core with the -listenonion flag and -torpassword=<pass> flag where <pass> is your control port password if you have one set. In order to use it though, you will need to enable the control port in the torrc file.

Thanks for your reply. I will give this a shot for the BTC onion node. Just one more thing though, is it necessary to leave Tor open for this to work or is it safe to close it after running Bitcoin Core?  Smiley

███████▄▄▀▀███▀▀▄▄███████
████████▄███▄████████
█████▄▄█▀▀███▀▀█▄▄█████
████▀▀██▀██████▀██▀▀████
████▄█████████████▄████
███████▀███████▀███████
████▀█████████████▀████
████▄▄██▄████▄██▄▄████
█████▀▀███▀▄████▀▀█████
████████▀███▀████████
███████▀▀▄▄███▄▄▀▀███████
 CRYPTOGAMES 
 Catch the winning spirit! 
█▄░▀███▌░▄
███▄░▀█░▐██▄
▀▀▀▀▀░░░▀▀▀▀▀
████▌░▐█████▀
████░░█████
███▌░▐███▀
███░░███
██▌░▐█▀
PROGRESSIVE
      JACKPOT      
██░░▄▄
▀▀░░████▄
▄▄▄▄██▀░░▄▄
░░░▀▀█░░▀██▄
███▄░░▀▄░█▀▀
█████░░█░░▄▄█
█████░░██████
█████░░█░░▀▀█
LOW HOUSE
         EDGE         
██▄
███░░░░░░░▄▄
█▀░░░░░░░████
█▄░░░░░░░░█▀
██▄░░░░░░▄█
███▄▄░░▄██▌
██████████
█████████▌
PREMIUM VIP
 MEMBERSHIP 
DICE   ROULETTE   BLACKJACK   KENO   MINESWEEPER   VIDEO POKER   PLINKO   SLOT   LOTTERY
achow101
Legendary

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
February 20, 2016, 12:39:17 AM

Thanks for your reply. I will give this a shot for the BTC onion node. Just one more thing though, is it necessary to leave Tor open for this to work or is it safe to close it after running Bitcoin Core?  Smiley
I think it needs to be left open as it uses Tor for doing Tor stuff.

Foxpup
Legendary

Activity: 4368
Merit: 3045

Vile Vixen and Miss Bitcointalk 2021-2023

View Profile
February 20, 2016, 03:10:46 AM

For clarification, by "now", he means Bitcoin Core 0.12. For earlier versions, you will need to configure Tor to run a hidden service. Instructions can be found here. For a Bitcoin node instead of a webserver, change HiddenServicePort to "8333 127.0.0.1:8333". Then, find your onion address in the hostname file, go into bitcoin.conf and add externalip=youraddress.onion, along with listen=1 (assuming Bitcoin is already configured to connect through Tor). It can take a while for new hidden services to show up on the Tor network, so be patient.

Will pretend to do unspeakable things (while actually eating a taco) for bitcoins: 1K6d1EviQKX3SVKjPYmJGyWBb1avbmCFM4
I am not on the scammers' paradise known as Telegram! Do not believe anyone claiming to be me off-forum without a signed message from the above address! Accept no excuses and make no exceptions!
achow101
Legendary

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
February 20, 2016, 03:59:05 AM

For clarification, by "now", he means Bitcoin Core 0.12. For earlier versions, you will need to configure Tor to run a hidden service. Instructions can be found here. For a Bitcoin node instead of a webserver, change HiddenServicePort to "8333 127.0.0.1:8333". Then, find your onion address in the hostname file, go into bitcoin.conf and add externalip=youraddress.onion, along with listen=1 (assuming Bitcoin is already configured to connect through Tor). It can take a while for new hidden services to show up on the Tor network, so be patient.
Right, forgot to mention that. However, Bitcoin Core 0.12 will be released very soon. Probably within a day or two, so if you want to do it the easy way, just wait a little bit and wait for the official release. If you are impatient, you can download the binaries from my github at https://github.com/achow101/bitcoin/releases/tag/v0.12.0. Those were deterministically built so you can check the checksums at https://github.com/bitcoin/gitian.sigs under 0.12.0 and check that the downloaded file's hash matches the signed hashes of all of the people who have done gitian builds.

chek2fire
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1142

Intergalactic Conciliator

View Profile
February 20, 2016, 05:20:44 PM

and what the benefits to run a node under tor? Network need nodes like this. If yes i will setup my nodes to run under tor but i dont know if after that the slow relay will be good for the bitcoin network

http://www.bitcoin-gr.org
4411 804B 0181 F444 ADBD 01D4 0664 00E4 37E7 228E
Jet Cash
Legendary

Activity: 2716
Merit: 2457

https://JetCash.com

View Profile WWW
February 20, 2016, 05:24:34 PM

and what the benefits to run a node under tor? Network need nodes like this. If yes i will setup my nodes to run under tor but i dont know if after that the slow relay will be good for the bitcoin network

It might give more ammunition to unsympathetic governments and bankers.

Offgrid campers allow you to enjoy life and preserve your health and wealth.
Save old Cars - my project to save old cars from scrapage schemes, and to reduce the sale of new cars.
My new Bitcoin transfer address is - bc1q9gtz8e40en6glgxwk4eujuau2fk5wxrprs6fys
chek2fire
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1142

Intergalactic Conciliator

View Profile
February 20, 2016, 05:30:24 PM

but someone who want to hide his ip he can simple run bitcoin core wallet under tor especially with the newest 0.12 version. Then he can connect to a normal node even if this node is a part of a sybil attack.

http://www.bitcoin-gr.org
4411 804B 0181 F444 ADBD 01D4 0664 00E4 37E7 228E
Jet Cash
Legendary

Activity: 2716
Merit: 2457

https://JetCash.com

View Profile WWW
February 20, 2016, 05:33:41 PM

but someone who want to hide his ip he can simple run bitcoin core wallet under tor especially with the newest 0.12 version. Then he can connect to a normal node even if this node is a part of a sybil attack.

The way things are going at the moment, Bill Gates and Google will know about it. Smiley

Offgrid campers allow you to enjoy life and preserve your health and wealth.
Save old Cars - my project to save old cars from scrapage schemes, and to reduce the sale of new cars.
My new Bitcoin transfer address is - bc1q9gtz8e40en6glgxwk4eujuau2fk5wxrprs6fys
achow101
Legendary

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
February 20, 2016, 11:04:04 PM

Well for people who can't connect to the normal Bitcoin network due to censorship, running Bitcoin Core over Tor allows them to circumvent that censorship. With a hidden service, they can also receive incoming connections. Otherwise the connections over Tor are only outgoing connections.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: