Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 02:48:37 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [WTB] Used and dead laptop or power tool batteries  (Read 821 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
GlassWerx (OP)

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 20, 2016, 06:47:41 PM
Last edit: February 23, 2016, 11:50:02 PM by GlassWerx

Hello all,

I am pretty much always in need of old used or dead laptop batteries as I give a lot of them away during local children's events. I want to start taking my BTC earnings from my faucet referrals and alt-coin trading wins and turning them into used batteries every month instead of converting it to fiat then trying to buy them locally all the time.

I am making this post a bit in advance as I just spent my wad for February last week, I just wanted to get word out to let people know that i will be buying as many as i can afford every month and to keep an eye out for them.

Guidelines:

The only batteries I buy are Li-Ion, and not from apple machines. Laptop batteries only, no tablets or smart phones.
For dead power tool batteries they mus also say Li-ion on the battery
For safety purposes the batteries must not be physically damaged, they are not safe to ship or handle in that fashion.

Pricing:

I pay between $1.50 & $4.00usd per battery, it is determined by the battery, The list of batteries is entirely to long to post every one of them here so if you want have a battery and want to find out what i am willing to pay for it, write its part / model number in a reply here and I will look it up and tell you. PLEASE DO NOT MESSAGE ME!!!! Posting it publicly in the thread means I wont have to answer the same question twice for the same batteries.  

The pricing is I quote is NOT negotiable. They are JUNK batteries and if you don't sell them to me they are most likely going to go in the trash or at a local battery recycling drop box. Selling them to me means that a few kids every month get a really cool experience racing RC cars and get to take their car home with them at the end.  

Shipping:

Until I figure out something solid, this is going to have to go on a case by case basis. I am thinking using flat rate shipping is going to be the best option but I have to look into it. Either way I will pay the shipping, I just need to figure out the cheapest way to do it.

For now I will be buying from sellers in the USA only, this is subject to change when I find out about international shipping of batteries but for now it is USA ONLY

Payment:

Payment will be made in BTC only for now. If requested escrow is available through TECSHARE at no cost to you the seller. Otherwise you the seller will be shipping first.
In the future if this proves to be a good source for me to find batteries I may also open up to paying with paypal when we get some descent donations from the parents at these events.

Other Notes:

I usually consolidate my coins once a month. Typically the 3rd week of every month. I anticipate that I will be making my first purchases form the forum members here around the 3rd week of March. Until then, if you have some you are willing to sell, let me know below so I can keep track. I will buy them first come first serve until the funds run out. I will resume buying from the list in order again once more funds are received.

I am not rich in the financial sense, that means I will not be able to buy every battery right away, but if your willing to wait I will make this promise. I will buy every battery with Li-Ion cells you guys can find for me for as long as I have the funds if the shipping can be done reasonably, when the funds run out I will have to wait, but when I get funds for it again I will start right where I left off until the money is gone again. PLEASE do not throw them away. If your going to throw them away then give them to me for free. I will pay the shipping if its reasonable where you live.

"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Mist

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

:)

View Profile
February 20, 2016, 07:09:12 PM

I'm curious on how you build the cars, got any pictures or something? That might help you out getting more people to sell to you. This is a really cool cause and if I find any I'll just donate too you, no charge.
 Smiley
GlassWerx (OP)

View Profile
February 21, 2016, 12:20:03 AM

I'm curious on how you build the cars, got any pictures or something? That might help you out getting more people to sell to you. This is a really cool cause and if I find any I'll just donate too you, no charge.
 Smiley

What we make out of the batteries is a 3S LiIon battery pack that works with any 3s hobby charger. Battery packs are expensive Especially the LiPo ones. The 18650 cells in the laptop batteries are the same voltage only with slightly lower current rating. We can usually find a few cells that still work inside a laptop battery and once we test the capacity of them we can match them to make packs.

As for the cars themselves there is nothing I can show you that you could not find on thingiverse.com Just type in RC car chassis in the search.  Most of the designs are multi-medium. Part 3d printed, part carbon fiber tube, some even made of balsa wood. The only thing we do different is we use cheap parts from china like low current motors and stuff. The cheapo battery cells inside laptops cannot handle the power draw of typical RC motor use. By the time we buy all the parts and build some batteries it costs about $15- $20 per little car and it has a cheapo 2 channel generic remote. They are nothing fancy, nothing fast, and nothing to brag about. But the kids love them, and they are cheap enough we can let them keep them.
Mist

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

:)

View Profile
February 22, 2016, 12:36:16 AM

Thank you for taking the time out of your day to post that explanation, I do not currently have any old batteries around (could have sworn I did) but I appreciate what you do for young kid's and thank you for being a positive influence on them.
GlassWerx (OP)

View Profile
February 23, 2016, 11:49:31 PM

Just a heads up if you are following, i may have some funds free up next weekend and would like to find around $150 worth of batteries to buy if that many can be found via this forum. Start posting what you have now so i can get you quotes and i will buy them on a first come first serve basis until the money runs out after next weekend.
adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3752
Merit: 1709

View Profile
February 24, 2016, 12:34:10 AM

I don't think you can ship Lithium batteries anymore by the Postal office. Last time I was there they ask whats inside and if its a battery, its rejected.

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
quakefiend420
Legendary

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 24, 2016, 05:54:33 AM

I don't think you can ship Lithium batteries anymore by the Postal office. Last time I was there they ask whats inside and if its a battery, its rejected.

So you can't use USPS to ship laptops or phones?
jlauzon

Activity: 108

View Profile
February 24, 2016, 06:04:13 AM

I have a dead AGPtek - model BTY-M66 that I'll give to you. PM me the address.
adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3752
Merit: 1709

View Profile
February 24, 2016, 06:26:30 AM

I think its only if its the battery itself.

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
GlassWerx (OP)

View Profile
February 24, 2016, 03:37:32 PM

I think its only if its the battery itself.

You cannot ship the unprotected cells, meaning the positive and negative contacts must be unexposed and unable to make contact with anything. Laptop batteries are inside a hard plastic case so if the packaging was damaged there is still no way a contact from a cell can connect with anything that could cause it to short and explode. I get batteries via USPS monthly and have never had a problem yet except when I ordered 20 Panasonic ncr18650b cells directly and they tried to ship them as just batteries. The shipment was seized at on of the sort facilities.  
GlassWerx (OP)

View Profile
February 28, 2016, 02:11:39 AM

Last call for this round of buying guys, I'm going to give it another 3 days to see what I can find here before I head to the thrift stores and such.

If you find something after this round of buying hang on to it and make a post below. I will buy it from you next go around on a first come first serve basis.
GlassWerx (OP)

View Profile
February 29, 2016, 02:22:43 PM

Anyone know of a better more active forum for bitcoin? This one seems kind of dead except and I would like to find a place where i can reach more bitcoiners to see if i can find old deal laptop batteries.
Meech

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 03, 2016, 08:12:42 PM

Great and much appreciated post.  I will check, may have a few.  I hope your venture makes some smiles to the kids.
GlassWerx (OP)

View Profile
March 04, 2016, 03:10:19 PM

Ok guys, made another $20 on the faucets this week. Want to try and get some more batteries. I will be buying again until that $20 runs out.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: