Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 01:33:16 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [Introduction] A bitcoin-loving file hosting service now in FREE USABILITY BETA  (Read 2562 times)
Jane Rand (OP)

Activity: 17
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
January 18, 2013, 07:31:50 AM
Last edit: January 19, 2013, 07:40:11 PM by Jane Rand

Hello ladies and gentlemen!

My name is Jane Rand (really), and I am here on behalf of Megareload.se

Megareload.se is a cryptographic file hosting service that aims to provide its users with highest level of security assurance (via encrypting all the data on user's machine) as well as a very comfortable, familiar file sharing experience (via user-provided passwords, or, even better, passphrases).
We're admittedly a very small team at this point, but we're very determined and sincerely devoted to making a file hosting service that is secure, friendly, and truly caring about its customers.

The road hasn't been easy for us (It started when our founder, Mr. Halls, acquired the megareload.se domain, wrote the first version of our applet, and secured some seed money) and we've been through some very rough times when Mr. Dotcom (whom we deeply admire) announced Mega, but we pulled through those, more determined and united than ever.

Yesterday, we decided that we are finally ready to give the world a glimpse of ourselves.

Since in-browser encryption is a pretty new thing as far as file locker services go, we decided to start with a free usability beta so that we can gather direct feedback from our actual audience and get a better idea of how should we improve to make our users (which means you, I sincerely hope) happy.

The usability beta is free (of course), but as soon as we go commercial, the first payment method we implement will be Bitcoin (and, as a matter of fact, Mr. Halls is a long time Bitcoin aficionado and has made participation in the Bitcoin ecosystem a major part of our long-term strategy).

I should perhaps also mention that users participating in the Usability Beta automatically participate in a lottery. Winners will get a lifetime Premium account.

So, pay MEGARELOAD a visit.

And after you do, perhaps you would like to like us Smiley on Facebook page (where you can read Mr. Halls' official announcement of the Usability Beta and lottery), or drop us a line at suggestionsDONTSPAM  =AT= megareload.se

I can always be reached here via PM or by email at press-contactDONTSPAM =AT= megareload.se

We really care about you, and wait for you to join us.
https://i.imgur.com/ewERZ.jpg

"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
gweedo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 18, 2013, 08:06:06 AM

So you ripped off everything from site design to features of megaupload then you have the audacity to say you admire WOW. Just amazed at this one. Your site is probably a scam anyway.
Jane Rand (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 18, 2013, 08:12:48 AM
Last edit: January 18, 2013, 08:39:13 AM by Jane Rand

So you ripped off everything from site design to features of megaupload then you have the audacity to say you admire WOW. Just amazed at this one. Your site is probably a scam anyway.

It is an intentional homage, a design decision we consciously made to honor the memory of Megaupload (which, quite definitely, is not coming back in its original form).

Also, as to features, if you mean megaupload's features, then your statement is demonstrably inaccurate since the difference is quite immediately  apparent.

However, if you mean Mega (questions regarding similarities between Megareload and Mega are something we get a lot), I implore you to  kindly investigate Mr. Dotcom's currently published Mega screenshots, you will definitely notice a certain fundamental difference in operational philosophies (Mega uses keypair, while we have user-supplied pass-phrases). We believe that this difference is substantial and changes the way users interact with the service (consider telling someone an RSA key over phone, verbally).

Time will tell which philosophy is better (or perhaps, both have drawbacks and benefits in equal measures, who knows).

P.S.:
Given that the site currently operates free of charge and does not gather sensitive information, the accusation of scam is, I must say, demonstrably counter-factual.
Nicolai Larsen

Activity: 331
Merit: 250

Earthling

View Profile WWW
January 18, 2013, 12:06:51 PM

Free Megaupload Browser Toolbar for fast transfers

Maybe that's why it could look like a rip-off?

I'm not complaining though.

BTC: 1GUH16sneWgKuE1ArXrnYKN3njuherJQi1
CIYAM
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1078

Ian Knowles - CIYAM Lead Developer

View Profile WWW
January 18, 2013, 12:14:52 PM

Since in-browser encryption is a pretty new thing as far as file locker services go, we decided to start with a free usability beta so that we can gather direct feedback from our actual audience and get a better idea of how should we improve to make our users (which means you, I sincerely hope) happy.

As CIYAM Open is also doing in-browser encryption I would be interested to compare your .js to my own - have you got a link to the source I can examine?

Cheers,

Ian.

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

GPG Public Key | 1ciyam3htJit1feGa26p2wQ4aw6KFTejU
conspirosphere.tk
Legendary

Activity: 2352
Merit: 1064

Bitcoin is antisemitic

View Profile
January 18, 2013, 12:26:46 PM

Can you tell us about what uploaders earn exactly?
Jane Rand (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 18, 2013, 02:13:21 PM

As CIYAM Open is also doing in-browser encryption I would be interested to compare your .js to my own - have you got a link to the source I can examine?

Cheers,

Ian.

As promised, after the Beta, source code of our applet and everything else that "lands on the user's HDD" will be disclosed under an open source license.

Also, we are considering making a Flash component for those who don't have / don't like Java. If we decide to add Flash support (informing that decision is one of the goals of the Usability Beta), that one will be eventually opensourced too.

We have a commitment to openness. And we take it quite seriously.

During the Free Usability Beta, you earn nothing, but you can win a lifetime Premium membership by just registering.

After, they will earn...

... why, Bitcoins, of course.

We are considering also using plain USD, but given how much trouble payment processors are giving file hosters, how elegant Bitcoin is, and how much we all (esp. boss) like Bitcoin, we might very well go "Bitcoin native", so to speak

Haha, it would be a rip off if MU was an active service.

However, Megaupload is tragically not with us anymore, and Mr. Halls wanted to keep a part of it with us - you know, about the same way some people keep hair, teeth, nails, and personal belongings of their dearly departed.

Our designer have been a little... over-enthusiastic about that though Cheesy.

P.S.:
Feex'd  
nexusakachus

Activity: 336

Love & Sound Emotroniks

View Profile WWW
January 18, 2013, 03:16:03 PM

Cheers,

Ian.

As promised, after the Beta, source code of our applet and everything else that "lands on the user's HDD" will be disclosed under an open source license.

Also, we are considering making a Flash component for those who don't have / don't like Java. If we decide to add Flash support (informing that decision is one of the goals of the Usability Beta), that one will be eventually opensourced too.

We have a commitment to openness. And we take it quite seriously.

During the Free Usability Beta, you earn nothing, but you can win a lifetime Premium membership by just registering.

After, they will earn...

... why, Bitcoins, of course.

We are considering also using plain USD, but given how much trouble payment processors are giving file hosters, how elegant Bitcoin is, and how much we all (esp. boss) like Bitcoin, we might very well go "Bitcoin native", so to speak

Haha, it would be a rip off if MU was an active service.

However, Megaupload is tragically not with us anymore, and Mr. Halls wanted to keep a part of it with us - you know, about the same way some people keep hair, teeth, nails, and personal belongings of their dearly departed.

Our designer have been a little... over-enthusiastic about that though Cheesy.

P.S.:
Feex'd 

your designer need to improve his skills jane

herzmeister
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1007

View Profile WWW
January 18, 2013, 03:18:44 PM

encryption is nice, but servers are still at a central and (for authorities) known location, so how can a service like this be not taken down?

https://localbitcoins.com/?ch=80k | BTC: 1LJvmd1iLi199eY7EVKtNQRW3LqZi8ZmmB
Jane Rand (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 18, 2013, 04:37:51 PM

your designer need to improve his skills jane

Aw, don't be cruel Smiley. The guy stuck with us through the hardest times. He's a team player, and he's fast.
Also, he does improve, trust me

encryption is nice, but servers are still at a central and (for authorities) known location, so how can a service like this be not taken down?

Well, that's a tough nut, but we do think we can more or less handle the heat. We do obey the laws of the countries we and our servers reside in Wink

We're very careful about what countries we reside in / host in / travel to, though.
Third Way

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 18, 2013, 04:43:35 PM

We do obey the laws of the countries we and our servers reside in Wink

We're very careful about what countries we reside in / host in / travel to, though.

This is how the fellows from piratebay thought as well.

blease resbond -> 1BYJKxpntNn6TZbM5M5CWkEb8vr8vDcBrr
Jane Rand (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 18, 2013, 04:52:30 PM

We do obey the laws of the countries we and our servers reside in Wink

This is how the fellows from piratebay thought as well.

Our methods are... fairly different.

Also, one of us is a lawyer Smiley

But, time will tell, time will tell...
Third Way

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 18, 2013, 05:01:00 PM

Good luck to you then.

blease resbond -> 1BYJKxpntNn6TZbM5M5CWkEb8vr8vDcBrr
Jane Rand (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 18, 2013, 06:06:43 PM

Thanks  Grin
btharper

Activity: 389

View Profile
January 18, 2013, 07:57:16 PM

Attempted to register and kept getting invalid password. I'm entirely unsure of what rules I'm breaking and can't fix it. I'd say that's a usability issue.
Jane Rand (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 18, 2013, 09:00:10 PM

Check PM
passerby

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 19, 2013, 06:20:46 AM

Oh boy... or should I say, madam ?

This sounds like fun. From what I reckon you're a bunch of funny people. I like funny people, so I will make you a funny advertisement video (I preemptively beg pardon for shitty voice skills, but I'm more of a video person, not an audio person  Roll Eyes )
anonymous_acc

Activity: 322

View Profile
January 19, 2013, 07:33:37 AM

Don't work, iced required, i try to upload, but failured. ):

BTC: 1HRcwjxG2H5vSnNo5ZbGqMxRPFWJk6dwW9
Jane Rand (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 19, 2013, 12:36:15 PM

Don't work, iced required, i try to upload, but failured. ):

See PM
btharper

Activity: 389

View Profile
January 20, 2013, 05:10:38 AM

The confirmation email arrived very quickly but ended up in my spam folder; just a heads up for anyone else.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: