Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 09:27:56 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: 2000W Power Breakout Board (DPS2000BB to PC-Ie x12)  (Read 13259 times)
Optimizer (OP)

Activity: 111
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
February 22, 2016, 03:06:26 AM
Last edit: October 04, 2016, 06:26:23 PM by Optimizer

Hi All,

Sometime back I was trying to buy breakout boards for my DPS2000BB supplies but they were either out of stock or thermally inefficient.  I design embedded power systems for my day job so I decided to go ahead and make my own.

Here are the specs:

1)   3oz copper.  I am finding this copper weight and planing generates less heat and leads to a more efficient power transfer.  Unlike some of the other boards I’ve seen which use internal layers for primary current conduction, I utilized external layers for price and performance.  The cooler the copper, the lower the resistance and the better the transfer.

2)    I plan to run these hot with limited air flow, so I had to ensure operation at higher ambient temperatures.  Through a few controlled tests I have verified continuous operation up to 70C (160F) ambient at full load on the DPS.  My test load (shown below) consumed 166 Amps @12V continuous.  This is slightly over the maximum recommended 164Amps.

Measurement locations on board:

3)   The PCBs are inspected to Class II per IPC-6012/13.  The FR4 TG is 140C so it will hold up to higher ambient temperatures without delaminating.

4)   I have placed a jumper for remote rebooting so no soldering is required.  I have built quite a few of these and the pin headers are already in place with a jumper.  This can be easily hooked up to an inexpensive remote rebooting solution.

5)   There are (3) 3-pin headers for hooking up fans.

6)   12 PCI-e outputs. Nothing new here, but much more convenient than screw downs or bolting on cables.

I was hoping to recoup my own cost, so I was hoping to unload my spares (and possibly some extras).  If anyone is more serious about picking up some of these in quantity, I can always start another production run.  I can sell a 5 pack of these for $275 USD including free shipping within the US.  I'll also be selling these individually on my website.  I can support purchases via PayPal or BTC, and I am more than happy to do escrow for BTC with OgNasty (buyer pays fees).  I can order boards within the next two weeks, and have them shipped about two weeks after that.

Thank you for taking the time to check it out.  I usually keep these things to myself.  If you have any questions feel free to fire away.

PM me for details if there is interest in orders.  Otherwise, let's keep it persistent for the world.

www.price-technology.com

-Optim

If you would like to E-mail me off forums, go to the Contact Us section of my website. 

www.price-technology.com

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"There should not be any signed int. If you've found a signed int somewhere, please tell me (within the next 25 years please) and I'll change it to unsigned int." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
VirosaGITS
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1068

View Profile
February 22, 2016, 04:01:26 AM

Did you miss J4bberwock's stuff or they're the breakout boards you're saying are bad?

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=738527.0

I find these boards completely dope;
https://ip.bitcointalk.org/?u=http%3A%2F%2Fi62.tinypic.com%2F2zfr9y1.jpg&t=561&c=N5VMULfnofZ1MA

I think one of his versions has volt reading on them or something.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█
              ▀▀▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   █▄   ▄

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄ ▄▀▀▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▄
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
███████▄ ███▒▒███      ██▒▒█████       ▀█▄
 ███████ ▀█▒▒████     ▄█▒▒█████▀         ▀█ ▄  ▄▄
  ██████  ▌▀▀█████▄▄▄███████▀▀            ███▄███▌
 █████████  █████▀▀█▀▀██████▌             ██████▀
 ▀█████████ ███▄  ███   ▐███▌ ▄██       ▄█████▀
     ▀▀    ▀▀███████████████▄▄████▄▄▄▄█▀▀▀▀▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

▄█████████████████████████████▄
███████████████████████████████
█████████▀▀█████████▀▀█████████
███████ ▄▀▀         ▀▀▄ ███████
██████                   ██████
█████▌     ▄▄     ▄▄     ▐█████
█████     ████   ████     █████
█████      ▀▀     ▀▀      █████
█████▄   ▀▄▄▄     ▄▄▄▀   ▄█████
████████▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄████████
 ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
sidehack
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 1848

Curmudgeonly hardware guy

View Profile
February 22, 2016, 04:14:55 AM

I'm really hoping my boards were the "out of stock" rather than the heat problem ones. We build 'em with 14oz of copper between the 4 layers in each rail, which tested fine up to 196A draw in about 95F ambient. But no PCIe 6-pins.

Cool, quiet and up to 1TH pod miner, on sale now!
Currently in development - 200+GH USB stick; 6TH volt-adjustable S1/3/5 upgrade kit
Server PSU interface boards and cables. USB and small-scale miners. Hardware hosting, advice and odd-jobs. Supporting the home miner community since 2013 - http://www.gekkoscience.com
Optimizer (OP)

View Profile WWW
February 22, 2016, 04:31:54 AM

@VirosaGITS

I spent the beginning of my venture playing with the J4bberwock's.  They were difficult to amass in quantity and given my ambient conditions those boards rose an additional 30+degrees Celsius.

This is what I was seeing at full load for the J4bberwock:

Versus what I am currently seeing on my unit:

Given the lead times and my quick test, I made a lot specifically for myself to eek out a bit of efficiency.  Cheesy

@sidehack

I needed the 6-pinners.  14oz seems a tad much.  Is that 3.5oz per layer and full coverage on all layers???  I would expect a 4-layer board around that weight to be overkill (to a point where the connectors might be tested).

-Optim

If you would like to E-mail me off forums, go to the Contact Us section of my website. 

www.price-technology.com
sidehack
Legendary

View Profile
February 22, 2016, 04:37:12 AM

I'm not sure on the details (Novak did the PCBs for PSU boards) but I think it's 3oz outside 4oz inside. Could be 2oz outside 5oz inside. Many vias to help transfer internal heat to the surface. Also, I like overkill.

Currently in development - 200+GH USB stick; 6TH volt-adjustable S1/3/5 upgrade kit
Server PSU interface boards and cables. USB and small-scale miners. Hardware hosting, advice and odd-jobs. Supporting the home miner community since 2013 - http://www.gekkoscience.com
Optimizer (OP)

View Profile WWW
February 22, 2016, 04:43:12 AM

@sidehack

As do I.  More importantly, I can appreciate the efficiency that level of 'overkill' brings to the system.  That is assuming the designer strayed away from reliefing (which I realize many of these deisgns have).  That appears to generate many other issues for these systems.

-Optim

www.price-technology.com
VirosaGITS
Legendary

View Profile
February 22, 2016, 04:45:33 AM

@VirosaGITS

I spent the beginning of my venture playing with the J4bberwock's.  They were difficult to amass in quantity and given my ambient conditions those boards rose an additional 30+degrees Celsius.

https://i.imgur.com/cvp4xfG.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/efWCCMg.jpg?1

Given the lead times and my quick test, I made a lot specifically for myself to eek out a bit of efficiency.  Cheesy

Thanks for humoring me. In depth technicalities is a bit beyond me but i like amassing the general/conceptual knowledge. 100F seem pretty close to body temperature i believe? Thats like 37C? That seem cool to me.

So you mean its a power waste issue? But it would be how much? 2-3watts waste?

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
Optimizer (OP)

View Profile WWW
February 22, 2016, 04:51:58 AM

@VirosaGITS

Thanks for humoring me. In depth technicalities is a bit beyond me but i like amassing the general/conceptual knowledge. 100F seem pretty close to body temperature i believe? Thats like 37C? That seem cool to me.

Well, the issue scales with load.  The power lost in these systems is equivalent to I^2*R.  Where I is the current transferred and R is the resistance of the board.  The resistivity of copper also scales with temperature.  The hotter these boards get, the less efficient they are.

That being said, my concern is always I.  Since I is squared in that power loss relationship, R needs to be as small as possible (Since we can't change I without scaling the system).

-Optim

www.price-technology.com
VirosaGITS
Legendary

View Profile
February 22, 2016, 05:02:13 AM

@VirosaGITS

Well, the issue scales with load.  The power lost in these systems is equivalent to I^2*R.  Where I is the current transferred and R is the resistance of the board.  The resistivity of copper also scales with temperature.  The hotter these boards get, the less efficient they are.

That being said, my concern is always I.  Since I is squared in that power loss relationship, R needs to be as small as possible (Since we can't change I without scaling the system).

-Optim

That make sense, if you ever get some watt waste numbers at different temperature, that could be cool too. I'll stay subbed to the thread.

Cheers, you're new but you seem to know your shit. Welcome (again?) to the forum and thanks for the lesson.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
Optimizer (OP)

View Profile WWW
February 22, 2016, 05:27:38 AM

@VirosaGITS

-Optim

That make sense, if you ever get some watt waste numbers at different temperature, that could be cool too. I'll stay subbed to the thread.

Cheers, you're new but you seem to know your shit. Welcome (again?) to the forum and thanks for the lesson.

I am a newbie.  I am mostly playing around with this out of interest.   Smiley

I may be able to play around with that load stand on Wednesday-ish.  I will let you know if I have some more exact numbers.  My rule of thumb when there is no airflow is that the hotter it is, the less efficient (this does change with surface area).  I also like the reliability aspect.  Cooler things last longer.

-Optim

www.price-technology.com
MarkAz

Activity: 687
Merit: 511

View Profile
February 22, 2016, 05:31:09 AM

Interesting - I use almost exclusively Jabberwocks boards and haven't had any issues with them, but I'm generally running well under the limit of the PSU's.  They definitely do seem to run warm, so when I made my fan adapter for the dual DPS2000BB's, I actually had it hang over the board to blow some air on it - easy enough to do and worth the extra effort.

Can you explain a bit about your test rig?  I'm assuming those are some industrial resistors just basically converting power into heat, correct?  I like that you actually did pure testing with it, and didn't just hook up a S7 and call it good.  Wink

Also, I'm a bit confused about what exactly you're offering - do you have these boards available now, or do they ship in 4 weeks?
kilo17
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1001

aka "whocares"

View Profile
February 22, 2016, 05:47:41 AM

I must say that I am impressed with the attention to detail, although I would say look at the double 2000 board he makes and you will see the way it becomes the New standard.  A lot easier to hook up fans to 2 units and also a lot more versatile for hooking up miners.  A single 2000 can run 1 s7 while the double can run 3 and stay cool  Wink

Bitcoin Will Only Succeed If The Community That Supports It Gets Support - Support Home Miners & Mining
Optimizer (OP)

View Profile WWW
February 22, 2016, 06:30:42 AM

Interesting - I use almost exclusively Jabberwocks boards and haven't had any issues with them, but I'm generally running well under the limit of the PSU's.  They definitely do seem to run warm, so when I made my fan adapter for the dual DPS2000BB's, I actually had it hang over the board to blow some air on it - easy enough to do and worth the extra effort.

Can you explain a bit about your test rig?  I'm assuming those are some industrial resistors just basically converting power into heat, correct?  I like that you actually did pure testing with it, and didn't just hook up a S7 and call it good.  Wink

Also, I'm a bit confused about what exactly you're offering - do you have these boards available now, or do they ship in 4 weeks?

Yes.  Those are just resistors.  I ran 14 of them in parallel to get ~72mOhm load.  With the supply across them, they will dissipate the 2kW.  That is why I threw the fan in the mix.  Those resistors will get very, very hot during this test.  During this test, this subjects the power adapter board to the full load (~166A) to measure worst case temperature and dissipation.

I measured the voltage across the load with a DMM.

The temperature was measured with FLIR and a National Instruments thermocouple.
http://www.ni.com/product-documentation/10632/en/

I've thrown a current probe onto the power input to verify efficiency and calculated the current based on the measured load resistance of 72.2mOhm.  This isn't the most accurate calculation, but it should get me right around what I need.

I do enjoy a science fair and I rarely get to fully test things at work with the corporate overhead.  Cool

I have a spare 50 PCBs sitting on my desk and I was hoping to unload.  When that stock runs out, I would have to order more and the two week extra bit of time would get into the mix.  I do not have all of the parts for assembly, but those may be acquired within a day or two and be built in time (the approximate 1-2 weeks before shipment).  PM me for details if you are interested.

www.price-technology.com
Optimizer (OP)

View Profile WWW
February 22, 2016, 06:40:04 AM
Last edit: February 22, 2016, 08:08:30 AM by Optimizer

I must say that I am impressed with the attention to detail, although I would say look at the double 2000 board he makes and you will see the way it becomes the New standard.  A lot easier to hook up fans to 2 units and also a lot more versatile for hooking up miners.  A single 2000 can run 1 s7 while the double can run 3 and stay cool  Wink

I come from an area of engineering where there is an emphasis on reliability.  This has led to a bit of paranoia in my personal ventures.  In your mining topology, if a single supply were to fail, three miners would drop out of the system.  With the single board solution, I am rocking a 1:1 supply failure to miner failure ratio.  It makes me a bit more comfortable; to each his own as they say.

I also find that the efficiency of these supplies taper off with max load (This appears to be a phase shifted bridge supply).  I have yet to see an actual efficiency curve for the DPS2000BB (I have yet to measure as well...), but I imagine the dual supply configuration might actually hurt the W/hash slightly.  This is purely speculation, I need to dig for a while to know for sure.

-Optim

www.price-technology.com
NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

Activity: 3626
Merit: 2531

Evil beware: We have waffles!

View Profile
February 22, 2016, 06:15:19 PM
Last edit: February 22, 2016, 08:41:25 PM by NotFuzzyWarm

Optim, here ya go: Discussion about the 2kw supply - but curves for the IBM DPS2500BB https://litecointalk.org/index.php?topic=5854.0

- For bitcoin to succeed the community must police itself -    My info useful? Donations welcome! 1FuzzyWc2J8TMqeUQZ8yjE43Rwr7K3cxs9
 -Sole remaining active developer of cgminer, Kano's repo is here
-Support Sidehacks miner development. Donations to:   1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
Prelude
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 22, 2016, 06:49:20 PM

Optim, here ya go: Curves for the IBM DPS2000BB https://litecointalk.org/index.php?topic=5854.0

Those are efficiency numbers for DPS2500BB,  NOT DPS2000BB. Big difference, and the numbers can't be applied to the 2000w version.
NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

View Profile
February 22, 2016, 07:09:00 PM

Well poop! Yer, right, everywhere it's about the 2kw supply - except for the performance curves..... Post edited to reflect that. Roll Eyes

- For bitcoin to succeed the community must police itself -    My info useful? Donations welcome! 1FuzzyWc2J8TMqeUQZ8yjE43Rwr7K3cxs9
-Support Sidehacks miner development. Donations to:   1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
Optimizer (OP)

View Profile WWW
February 22, 2016, 07:20:16 PM

@NotFuzzyWarm and @Prelude

Thank you for the post.  It was close.  I'm sure the DPS2000BB curve is similar to this.  There is likely a crest around 50-60% that tapers off slightly as the supply approaches 100%.  I might check one supply over here to get a ball park between 50% load and 100% load.  Will update this thread later in the week.

-Optim

www.price-technology.com
MarkAz

View Profile
February 22, 2016, 07:21:41 PM

All in all very cool - and I love that there's some other good hardware guys coming into the space, it takes a village.  Wink

About half of my 2000BB's are running the 4k board, and while I haven't had any failure yet, I certainly have had failures in the past... but as he pointed out, there's a practical advantage to pairs of those 2000BB's - but what I did with my single boards was just reverse the orientation of the miners so the plug was on the inside instead of out, and then you can have cables going out in either direction, and still use the same general configuration of back-to-back 2000BB's.  The only downside of this is that the fans aren't blocked on the outside, like they are with the 4k board, but if you're using high SP fans I haven't found that it matters much.  On one of my units I experimented with using foam insulation strips around the perimeter of the fan mount, and it made virtually zero difference, not worth the time it took to do it.

NotFuzzyWarm brought up the 2500BB, would these breakouts be compatible?  If so, that might be VERY awesome, as you could easily run 4 A6's on 2x 2500BB, getting almost full utilization out of the PSU.  I imagine the extra thermal headroom your design has would make a BIG difference in this case.

So I'll take a couple of those to check out - but 5 isn't a great number because I'm going to use them in pairs, but how about either 4 or 6?  PM me and we can work out the details if that's acceptable to you.
philipma1957
Legendary

Activity: 4116
Merit: 7849

'The right to privacy matters'

View Profile WWW
February 22, 2016, 07:45:49 PM

So. Do I get to adjust volts with a simple switch?

Will they work with the 2500 model psu.

Would you consider making a dual board?

I may want a few singles if they work with the 2500 model psu.

▄▄███████▄▄
▄██████████████▄
▄██████████████████▄
▄████▀▀▀▀███▀▀▀▀█████▄
▄█████████████▄█▀████▄
███████████▄███████████
██████████▄█▀███████████
██████████▀████████████
▀█████▄█▀█████████████▀
▀████▄▄▄▄███▄▄▄▄████▀
▀██████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
 MΞTAWIN  THE FIRST WEB3 CASINO   
.. PLAY NOW ..
toptek
Legendary

Activity: 1274

View Profile
February 22, 2016, 08:50:18 PM

When you get time put up the web site , I Polly will need three , two in about three weeks or less then one more a week later.. won't need escrow as long your in the in US.

For security, your account has been locked. Email acctcomp15@theymos.e4ward.com
Optimizer (OP)

View Profile WWW
February 22, 2016, 09:43:52 PM

So. Do I get to adjust volts with a simple switch?

Will they work with the 2500 model psu.

Would you consider making a dual board?

I may want a few singles if they work with the 2500 model psu.

I avoided the voltage adjustment based on the issues I've read about with the A6's.  I find adjusting the supply while measuring the unit voltage yields the best performance.  Though my experience is limited.

I am assuming the 2500 model will support this, but I have yet to test.  Looking back at NotFuzzyWarm's link, the header and pinouts appear interchangeable.  It looks like there is a standard wrapped around that specific header.  Someone correct me if this appears incorrect.  I am assuming you are looking to use this 2500 model for a dual S7 configuration (~2200W) and the margin on this board should accommodate that.

If these singles recoup my expenses and do as well as I am hoping, I see no reason not to develop a dual board for power transfer.  If it comes to that, I will let you know.  Smiley

PM me for details if you want to try the single on a 2500.  I am somewhat interested in modifying my setup to test this case.

-Optim

www.price-technology.com
Prelude
Legendary

View Profile
February 22, 2016, 09:52:55 PM

The only 2000BB breakout boards I have are made by sidehack, and those work perfectly with the 2500BBs that I have. I'm 100% certain anything that works with the 2000BB will work on it's younger brother, the 2500BB. The pinouts are the same. The only question is, can the breakout boards handle the power? I know sidehack's overbuilt (I also love overbuilt stuff  Grin) boards can handle it no problem, and it looks like these would too. I'd be hesitant with the j4bber board if they're hitting 104c at full load on the 2000BBs. In fact, I probably wouldn't even use them up to 2000w if they're really hitting those temps.
philipma1957
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 22, 2016, 11:23:08 PM

The only 2000BB breakout boards I have are made by sidehack, and those work perfectly with the 2500BBs that I have. I'm 100% certain anything that works with the 2000BB will work on it's younger brother, the 2500BB. The pinouts are the same. The only question is, can the breakout boards handle the power? I know sidehack's overbuilt (I also love overbuilt stuff  Grin) boards can handle it no problem, and it looks like these would too. I'd be hesitant with the j4bber board if they're hitting 104c at full load on the 2000BBs. In fact, I probably wouldn't even use them up to 2000w if they're really hitting those temps.

I ran j4bberwock dual 2000/4000 at 17 amps or 4080 watts for 24 to 48 hours multiple times.

There is no way the breakboard I had  was 104c or 220f

Maybe 105 f to 115 f

Not sure where the 104c  temps are picked up from .

▄▄███████▄▄
▄██████████████▄
▄██████████████████▄
▄████▀▀▀▀███▀▀▀▀█████▄
▄█████████████▄█▀████▄
███████████▄███████████
██████████▄█▀███████████
██████████▀████████████
▀█████▄█▀█████████████▀
▀████▄▄▄▄███▄▄▄▄████▀
▀██████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
.. PLAY NOW ..
Optimizer (OP)

View Profile WWW
February 22, 2016, 11:34:17 PM

I ran j4bberwock dual 2000/4000 at 17 amps or 4080 watts for 24 to 48 hours multiple times.

Maybe 105 f to 115 f

Definitely C.  Commercial grade PCBs can usually run up to about 120-130C without delaminating. 

I can rerun the test to verify, but that number does not stand out as outlandish to me.  Especially since that temperature is local to the reliefs around the connectors.  That might explain why some people have had burnouts at the connector.  TO give a bit more background, I have been measuring with an ambient of ~30C.  A 70C rise with reliefs is to be expected at that current level.

I will modify my test and see if I can get a hold of a 2500BB to acquire some thermal data. 

-Optim

www.price-technology.com
NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

View Profile
February 22, 2016, 11:54:35 PM
Last edit: February 23, 2016, 12:07:45 AM by NotFuzzyWarm

I avoided the voltage adjustment based on the issues I've read about with the A6's.  I find adjusting the supply while measuring the unit voltage yields the best performance.  Though my experience is limited.
<snip>
-Optim
Do correct me if I'm wrong but if you are talking about remote sensing at the load these supplies can do that using the same pins called our for voltage adjustment, pins A1 and A2 so v drop across the PCIe leads can be compensated for by tacking a light gauge twisted pair to those pins and to one of the PCIe sockets where it joins the hashboard. Better yet - a separate pair coming from the board's input power planes to the remote sense in...

The pic does label it as 'sense' and to me at least that means remote load sense vs v.adj.

Just as with the HP DP1200 Commonn Slot Proliant supplies I have found it IMPOSSIBLE to get hold of a schematic for the power backplane these PSU's are used with. That would take all guesswork out of these. Prints for the various server boards or at the server boards backplane pinouts - no problem to find . grumble brumble.

philipma1957
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 23, 2016, 12:00:21 AM

Maybe 105 f to 115 f

Definitely C.  Commercial grade PCBs can usually run up to about 120-130C without delaminating. 

I can rerun the test to verify, but that number does not stand out as outlandish to me.  Especially since that temperature is local to the reliefs around the connectors.  That might explain why some people have had burnouts at the connector.  TO give a bit more background, I have been measuring with an ambient of ~30C.  A 70C rise with reliefs is to be expected at that current level.

I will modify my test and see if I can get a hold of a 2500BB to acquire some thermal data. 

-Optim

Well the jacks are warm running avalon6s. I use 15 awg cables .
Do you mean the back of the boards where they attach to the psu?
Or do you mean where the cables attach to the jacks?

I have never felt they were hot enough to burn my hand. But since I know the Avalon 6 pulls a lot of juice I always went with the higher grade 15 awg cables.
I do agree they warm up.

▄▄███████▄▄
▄██████████████▄
▄██████████████████▄
▄████▀▀▀▀███▀▀▀▀█████▄
▄█████████████▄█▀████▄
███████████▄███████████
██████████▄█▀███████████
██████████▀████████████
▀█████▄█▀█████████████▀
▀████▄▄▄▄███▄▄▄▄████▀
▀██████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
.. PLAY NOW ..
Optimizer (OP)

View Profile WWW
February 23, 2016, 06:24:32 AM

I avoided the voltage adjustment based on the issues I've read about with the A6's.  I find adjusting the supply while measuring the unit voltage yields the best performance.  Though my experience is limited.
<snip>
-Optim
Do correct me if I'm wrong but if you are talking about remote sensing at the load these supplies can do that using the same pins called our for voltage adjustment, pins A1 and A2 so v drop across the PCIe leads can be compensated for by tacking a light gauge twisted pair to those pins and to one of the PCIe sockets where it joins the hashboard. Better yet - a separate pair coming from the board's input power planes to the remote sense in...

The pic does label it as 'sense' and to me at least that means remote load sense vs v.adj.

Just as with the HP DP1200 Commonn Slot Proliant supplies I have found it IMPOSSIBLE to get hold of a schematic for the power backplane these PSU's are used with. That would take all guesswork out of these. Prints for the various server boards or at the server boards backplane pinouts - no problem to find . grumble brumble.

You are correct, though the result is similar.  I have been adjusting with the trim pot internally, though I am planning to implement your Vsense cabling soon.  That should give decent dynamic load performance; however, I have been on the fence about committing to the Vsense version.  These switchers generally run a bit more efficiently (At the miner side, core voltage) when the input voltage is a bit higher.  I have been adjusting the supplies using the aforementioned method under max load.  In this case, I get a high +12V rail when the loads are less than 100%.  I am hoping, this makes the miner slightly more efficiency.

Yes.  No one likes the internal circuitry known.  IP and all.  Maybe when one of these supplies fail, I will do some reverse engineering.  Heh.  Lips sealed

-Optim

www.price-technology.com
Optimizer (OP)

View Profile WWW
February 23, 2016, 06:32:51 AM

The only 2000BB breakout boards I have are made by sidehack, and those work perfectly with the 2500BBs that I have. I'm 100% certain anything that works with the 2000BB will work on it's younger brother, the 2500BB. The pinouts are the same. The only question is, can the breakout boards handle the power? I know sidehack's overbuilt (I also love overbuilt stuff  Grin) boards can handle it no problem, and it looks like these would too. I'd be hesitant with the j4bber board if they're hitting 104c at full load on the 2000BBs. In fact, I probably wouldn't even use them up to 2000w if they're really hitting those temps.

There is no way the breakboard I had  was 104c or 220f

Maybe 105 f to 115 f

Not sure where the 104c  temps are picked up from .

Definitely C.  Commercial grade PCBs can usually run up to about 120-130C without delaminating.  

I can rerun the test to verify, but that number does not stand out as outlandish to me.  Especially since that temperature is local to the reliefs around the connectors.  That might explain why some people have had burnouts at the connector.  TO give a bit more background, I have been measuring with an ambient of ~30C.  A 70C rise with reliefs is to be expected at that current level.

-Optim

Well the jacks are warm running avalon6s. I use 15 awg cables .
Do you mean the back of the boards where they attach to the psu?
Or do you mean where the cables attach to the jacks?

I have never felt they were hot enough to burn my hand. But since I know the Avalon 6 pulls a lot of juice I always went with the higher grade 15 awg cables.
I do agree they warm up.

The hot spot I have been most concerned about is right under the PSU connector.  The reliefs in the copper appear to bottleneck the current with a relatively high resistive path.  If you look at the image I previously posted, most of the heat is there.  I imagine the same problem will be true (underneath the PCI-e connectors) when a small amount of PCI-e connectors are used relative to current draw.

The cables should not warm up.  This will be local to the breakout board itself.  You may not notice this until you use FLIR around the equipment.

-Optim

www.price-technology.com
Prelude
Legendary

View Profile
February 23, 2016, 01:25:45 PM

The only 2000BB breakout boards I have are made by sidehack, and those work perfectly with the 2500BBs that I have. I'm 100% certain anything that works with the 2000BB will work on it's younger brother, the 2500BB. The pinouts are the same. The only question is, can the breakout boards handle the power? I know sidehack's overbuilt (I also love overbuilt stuff  Grin) boards can handle it no problem, and it looks like these would too. I'd be hesitant with the j4bber board if they're hitting 104c at full load on the 2000BBs. In fact, I probably wouldn't even use them up to 2000w if they're really hitting those temps.

Maybe 105 f to 115 f

That's not the board in question, not to mention 4080w AC is only ~ 3630w DC which isn't full load so not relevant. It would be nice to have that board tested as well, though.
Prelude
Legendary

View Profile
February 23, 2016, 01:30:20 PM

<snip>
-Optim

You are correct, though the result is similar.  I have been adjusting with the trim pot internally, though I am planning to implement your Vsense cabling soon.  That should give decent dynamic load performance; however, I have been on the fence about committing to the Vsense version.  These switchers generally run a bit more efficiently (At the miner side, core voltage) when the input voltage is a bit higher.  I have been adjusting the supplies using the aforementioned method under max load.  In this case, I get a high +12V rail when the loads are less than 100%.  I am hoping, this makes the miner slightly more efficiency.

Yes.  No one likes the internal circuitry known.  IP and all.  Maybe when one of these supplies fail, I will do some reverse engineering.  Heh.  Lips sealed

-Optim

I can send you a failed DPS-1200-FB1 if you'd like to muck around with it. I've got about 9 of them. Maybe you can every point me in the right direction in regards to resurrecting them!  Smiley
philipma1957
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 23, 2016, 03:02:07 PM

Maybe 105 f to 115 f

That's not the board in question, not to mention 4080w AC is only ~ 3630w DC which isn't full load so not relevant. It would be nice to have that board tested as well, though.

After all the testing I did with the 2980 the 2880 the dual 2000/4000

I go with the 2980s with my fan mod.
I would be really interested in a board for them as they are more efficient psus then the 2000.
Also the fans blow air directly onto the back of the breakout boards so they never overheat.

What would be nice to see is direct 24 hour tests.
With ops board vs other boards.
A s-7 pulling 1300 watts on this board would pull 1339 watts on j4bberwock board if there is a three percent difference on the boards running the 2000 psu.

And if sidehack has more copper then. He should be under the ops.

It is pretty easy to do the testing.  You need 1 s-7 the three 2000 watts break out boards the psu and a meter

▄▄███████▄▄
▄██████████████▄
▄██████████████████▄
▄████▀▀▀▀███▀▀▀▀█████▄
▄█████████████▄█▀████▄
███████████▄███████████
██████████▄█▀███████████
██████████▀████████████
▀█████▄█▀█████████████▀
▀████▄▄▄▄███▄▄▄▄████▀
▀██████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
.. PLAY NOW ..
Optimizer (OP)

View Profile WWW
February 23, 2016, 07:46:13 PM

<snip>
-Optim

-Optim

I can send you a failed DPS-1200-FB1 if you'd like to muck around with it. I've got about 9 of them. Maybe you can every point me in the right direction in regards to resurrecting them!  Smiley

I can almost guarantee it will be cheaper/easier to just replace those.  If I have some spare time, I might consider this, though the 1200's were generally less power than I was looking for.

-Optim

www.price-technology.com
Optimizer (OP)

View Profile WWW
February 23, 2016, 08:00:10 PM

Maybe 105 f to 115 f

After all the testing I did with the 2980 the 2880 the dual 2000/4000

I go with the 2980s with my fan mod.
I would be really interested in a board for them as they are more efficient psus then the 2000.
Also the fans blow air directly onto the back of the breakout boards so they never overheat.

What would be nice to see is direct 24 hour tests.
With ops board vs other boards.
A s-7 pulling 1300 watts on this board would pull 1339 watts on j4bberwock board if there is a three percent difference on the boards running the 2000 psu.

And if sidehack has more copper then. He should be under the ops.

It is pretty easy to do the testing.  You need 1 s-7 the three 2000 watts break out boards the psu and a meter

I will have to look into the 2980s.  If they are that much better, it may be well worth the investment.

I don't think the 24 hour test is necessary.  I would say 1/2 hour to 1 hour (whenever steady state temperature has been achieved).

I need to acquire said hardware for that test.  Not likely, given my current build.  I am finding that more copper isn't necessarily better.  Again, the bottleneck (on the breakout) is at the board to connector interface.  I would have to inspect/measure the sidehack board to make a clear case to switch, but in my case I didn't see a 6-pin PCI-e connector breakout like this from sidehack.  I will dig and see what I can find.

-Optim

www.price-technology.com
philipma1957
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 24, 2016, 12:18:17 AM

Op Are you in the U.S.?

▄▄███████▄▄
▄██████████████▄
▄██████████████████▄
▄████▀▀▀▀███▀▀▀▀█████▄
▄█████████████▄█▀████▄
███████████▄███████████
██████████▄█▀███████████
██████████▀████████████
▀█████▄█▀█████████████▀
▀████▄▄▄▄███▄▄▄▄████▀
▀██████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
.. PLAY NOW ..
NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

View Profile
February 24, 2016, 12:46:58 AM

<snip>
I will have to look into the 2980s.  If they are that much better, it may be well worth the investment.

I don't think the 24 hour test is necessary.  I would say 1/2 hour to 1 hour (whenever steady state temperature has been achieved).

I need to acquire said hardware for that test.  Not likely, given my current build.  I am finding that more copper isn't necessarily better.  Again, the bottleneck (on the breakout) is at the board to connector interface.  I would have to inspect/measure the sidehack board to make a clear case to switch, but in my case I didn't see a 6-pin PCI-e connector breakout like this from sidehack.  I will dig and see what I can find.

-Optim
Or, to gain a few 10's of watts in eff, ya can always lose the PSU fans entirely like this https://i.imgur.com/cf5IRyB.jpg running 3 of my s5's off of a DPS 2000. PSU is on the suction side of course.
Kills a couple birds with 1 stone Wink I'll look tomorrow to see if the pcb holes for the connector pins match their profile  to reduce the path thru solder or are just round.

philipma1957
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 24, 2016, 12:56:10 AM

<snip>
I will have to look into the 2980s.  If they are that much better, it may be well worth the investment.

I don't think the 24 hour test is necessary.  I would say 1/2 hour to 1 hour (whenever steady state temperature has been achieved).

I need to acquire said hardware for that test.  Not likely, given my current build.  I am finding that more copper isn't necessarily better.  Again, the bottleneck (on the breakout) is at the board to connector interface.  I would have to inspect/measure the sidehack board to make a clear case to switch, but in my case I didn't see a 6-pin PCI-e connector breakout like this from sidehack.  I will dig and see what I can find.

-Optim
Or, to gain a few 10's of watts in eff, ya can always lose the PSU fans entirely like this http://i.i.com/cf5IRyB.jpg
Kills a couple birds with 1 stone Wink I'll look tomorrow to see if the pcb holes for the connector pins match their profile  to reduce the path thru solder or are just round.

yeah that would most likely work okay.

this works on the screamers in the 2980's or 2880's

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1284563.0

At first I liked the dual board from j4bberwock  ,

but once I did these fans in the 2980 and got true platinum  power ratings.  I go with 2980's over everything

you only need 1 of the two parts the none filter part.  these are a perfect match same company

back of the 2980's this mod on the 2980's also works on the 2880's saves 40 watts per psu or 1 kwatt a day
cost is 22 bucks per psu.  note the grills are needed my 22 price included grills    

▄▄███████▄▄
▄██████████████▄
▄██████████████████▄
▄████▀▀▀▀███▀▀▀▀█████▄
▄█████████████▄█▀████▄
███████████▄███████████
██████████▄█▀███████████
██████████▀████████████
▀█████▄█▀█████████████▀
▀████▄▄▄▄███▄▄▄▄████▀
▀██████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
.. PLAY NOW ..
NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

View Profile
February 24, 2016, 01:07:25 AM

During the summer the area those are in gets up to low 90'sF and all is happy there.

Like your setup.

Optimizer (OP)

View Profile WWW
February 24, 2016, 05:48:15 AM
Last edit: February 24, 2016, 06:05:00 AM by Optimizer

Op Are you in the U.S.?

Yes I am.  I also like that rig.  The ducting is classic!  Cheesy

-Optim

www.price-technology.com
thesmokingman

Activity: 212
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 26, 2016, 07:03:27 AM

I'm interested in picking a few of these up. I have some GPU rigs that I would like to be able to reboot remotely, and I like the fact that I can hook these up to relays and reboot them remotely.

If you break them up into smaller even lots I'll take 2...

PIMP your AMD & Nvidia Farm. Finally a Multi-Miner Linux 16.04 Distro with Web Monitoring and On the Fly Algo-Switching. My PIMP AMD/Nvidia FARM: https://miner.farm/farmer/554/farmstatus
Optimizer (OP)

View Profile WWW
February 26, 2016, 07:16:07 AM

I'm interested in picking a few of these up. I have some GPU rigs that I would like to be able to reboot remotely, and I like the fact that I can hook these up to relays and reboot them remotely.

If you break them up into smaller even lots I'll take 2...

PM me, we can work out the details.  I am rerunning some tests to post some more results tonight.

-Optim

www.price-technology.com
MarkAz

View Profile
February 26, 2016, 09:11:20 PM

Just a quick update, I ordered some from him and just got them today - I haven't had time to really inspect them to any great degree but they look to be good quality boards, but so do the Jabberwock ones to my untrained eye and I haven't side-by-sided them yet.  I hooked two of them up to one of my 2x DPS setups (had to flip the PSU's to get them to work how I wanted) - and they're working fine so far.

Hopefully I'll get some time this weekend and I'll post some pictures and do some comparisons between them and the Jabberwock boards I have.
MarkAz

View Profile
February 29, 2016, 12:53:39 AM

Ok, so I had a bit of time to play with the boards this weekend and here are the promised pictures.  I have 10 of them, and now have 8 of them in use and 2 to play around with more when I have time:

So you can get an idea of what they look like relative to eachother, here's the 3 DPS-2000BB breakouts that I have (including the 4k one):

While it kind of looks bigger, in reality it's not - the actual PCB on this one is 83mm x 83mm (pretty much perfectly square) as opposed to the Jabberwock one which is 100mm x 75mm.  They both have 12 PCIe connectors and Jabberwocks has 6 fan connectors while this one has 3 (for my money, 3 is overkill as I usually only use one per device, but it's nice to have a few spares):

Here's the backside of the two units - not much of interest here except that you can actually see one of the layers on the blue one, whereas there's only a couple of traces fine visible on the upper left of the other:

I don't know if there's a more scientific way to determine how much copper is in these, but since they have almost exactly the same big components (PCIe plugs, PSU connector, etc), I figured taking their respective area divided by weight would probably give some indication.  Interestingly, even though the blue board is smaller it's average weight per square mm is 0.012 vs 0.010, which is pretty substantial - basically the blue board is 10% smaller and 10% heavier:

This is how I typically have the 4k configured, with 2 PWM server-grade fans, slightly offset so that part of the last fan blows over the PCB.  I'm also the king of zipties, so I use one monster one to hold the whole thing together - works really well:

This leads to one of my complains about the layout of Jabberwocks 4k board (neither his nor the blue single boards have this problem), and that is that because the fan headers are smack up against the switch you can't plug in a 4-pin connector.  Super annoying, as they could just be reversed to solve this:

I modified my setup slightly to use these - just reversing the orientation of the PSU's, which allows the two boards to be back-to back:

There is a fair bit of space between the two boards, but I would still put a piece of acrylic or other material between them so that they can't come in contact with eachother - just to be safe:

One issue for me with reversing the PSU's is that my clever locking/alignment hole doesn't work now because it should be in the middle - but that's easy enough to solve later:

It also has a jumpered pin header (they forgot to include the jumpers, but I had some onhand so no big deal).  Pretty simple - jumper in place, the on/off switch works; jumper out, the machine is off.  So to setup remote rebooting, just hook up a relay, flip the switch on, and now the relay controls whether or not the PSU is on. 

I have a bunch of these cheap Chinese ethernet relay boxes that I've used in the past, so being able to put them to use again is nice.  You can pick them up on AliExpress for cheap and the one in this picture can power cycle 8 PSU's, making it a pretty cost effective solution for remote rebooting.  I just use a script to call curl to hit the web interface on the relay box, and you're in business:

Overall my impression is that it's a really well designed board.  I think the layout shows that they either actively mine or at least spent time time thinking about it.  I also prefer the connector layout more than the Jabberwock board, as the square shape makes it work really well regardless of how the PSU is positioned (the Jabberwock has issues in that configuration), and personally I would prefer to have 3 fan connectors that are easier to work with than 6 jam packed next to the other.  Temperature of the board is hard for me to judge since my fan setup blows air over the PCB, but I prefer to have everything run as cool as possible, so if it's better on that front then sign me up as well.

Anyway, hope that helps!
tutorialevideo
Legendary

Activity: 1161
Merit: 1001

Don`t invest more than you can afford to lose

View Profile WWW
February 29, 2016, 07:24:07 AM

how much for 5 peaces shiped to 535700 ?

Hosting Bitcoin and any mining gear in Europe/Romania.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5228685.msg53918147#msg53918147

For more info you can write me!
Optimizer (OP)

View Profile WWW
February 29, 2016, 07:26:15 AM

how much for 5 peaces shiped to 535700 ?

PM me.

@MarkAz,

Thank you for the detailed review.  I appreciate your work!

-Optim

www.price-technology.com
dogie
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
February 29, 2016, 08:32:28 AM

@VirosaGITS

The pictures read Centigrade, not Fahrenheit. 100C > 37C.

Optimizer (OP)

View Profile WWW
February 29, 2016, 08:48:19 AM

@VirosaGITS

The pictures read Centigrade, not Fahrenheit. 100C > 37C.

Yes.  I should have corrected that.  Thank you Dogie.

I have rerun the thermal tests since my initial posting.  It turns out the boards are journeying up into the high 110s and 120s (Celsius).  I have to knock out for work, but when I have a stretch of time, I will post newer thermal images/readings for you all.

-Optim

www.price-technology.com
Optimizer (OP)

View Profile WWW
March 04, 2016, 10:00:36 AM

Hi all,

Here is the final thermal update I have from the two board sets.

I placed a probe on the J4bberwock and ran it up to 166A.

J4bberwock Data:

I was finding that the temperatures were running dangerously close to delamination, so I decreased the load by removing a single 1 ohm load form the load bank.  The final temperature spikes are a result of that test. I would not recommend this board at full load.  It appears to exhibit negative margin and approach delam around 120-130C on the PCI-e side.  All of this heat is also lost energy.

My setup:

This board ran up to almost 80C on the connector but the PCI-e connectors ran fairly cool (around 70-80C) at full load.  There was plenty of margin.

-Optim

www.price-technology.com
philipma1957
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 04, 2016, 12:19:24 PM

pm sent for 2 boards

▄▄███████▄▄
▄██████████████▄
▄██████████████████▄
▄████▀▀▀▀███▀▀▀▀█████▄
▄█████████████▄█▀████▄
███████████▄███████████
██████████▄█▀███████████
██████████▀████████████
▀█████▄█▀█████████████▀
▀████▄▄▄▄███▄▄▄▄████▀
▀██████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
.. PLAY NOW ..
toptek
Legendary

View Profile
March 13, 2016, 04:02:46 AM
Last edit: March 13, 2016, 05:57:47 AM by toptek

I bought three of these and well they are worth it . I'm not doing any reviews because I suck at it and don't like doing them any way . won't bad month them up against any other board but do highly recommended these boards . is about all I"ll say . I'm sold and impressed so far with how they handle the few miners i have .

You can trust him to send cash as friends on PayPal  so there is no fees to him or send btc without using escrow, but above all do what's the best and the safest way to you, need to stress that .

cya.  

Optimizer (OP)

View Profile WWW
March 14, 2016, 03:03:22 AM

I bought three of these and well they are worth it . I'm not doing any reviews because I suck at it and don't like doing them any way . won't bad month them up against any other board but do highly recommended these boards . is about all I"ll say . I'm sold and impressed so far with how they handle the few miners i have .

You can trust him to send cash as friends on PayPal  so there is no fees to him or send btc without using escrow, but above all do what's the best and the safest way to you, need to stress that .

cya.  

Thank you Top!  I'm glad they work well for you.  These seem to be working well so I'm making a 4k version as well as a DPS800/DPS1200 card.  Will keep you updated!

-Optim

www.price-technology.com
sidehack
Legendary

View Profile
March 14, 2016, 03:45:03 AM

I hope I get all my 800/1200 boards built before you steal the market.

Optimizer (OP)

View Profile WWW
March 14, 2016, 03:46:30 AM

I hope I get all my 800/1200 boards built before you steal the market.

This is why we make things  differently!  Options for everyone.

-Optim

www.price-technology.com
sidehack
Legendary

View Profile
March 14, 2016, 04:19:27 AM

I was planning on having them rolled out already, but one of my batch anchor customers still hasn't paid an invoice I expected to see in January which held things up quite a bit. The original plan was to be rolling in November. Being broke all the time sucks. When Minersource evaporated a year ago, I got hosed out of some work I was banking on (already bringing in materials for it, seriously screw Matt Carson forever), which kept me from being able to do my hosting expansion as planned, but I had already promised to my customers the rate decrease which it would have allowed, so I pretty much lost out on not just the revenue from that job but another $1-1.5K per month from last March through February of this year. So, pretty much everything I wanted to do in the last year (stick miners excepted, fortunately, mostly thanks to some work Novak brought in) has either been dropped entirely or way behind schedule, which is why we didn't have 4K boards and DPS800/1200 boards at least eight months ago. I had a DPS8/12 prototype built in December 2013.

I think if the miner project takes off, I might get out of PSU boards entirely. Which kinda sucks since we basically started that market.

Optimizer (OP)

View Profile WWW
March 14, 2016, 04:22:43 AM

I was planning on having them rolled out already, but one of my batch anchor customers still hasn't paid an invoice I expected to see in January which held things up quite a bit. The original plan was to be rolling in November. Being broke all the time sucks. When Minersource evaporated a year ago, I got hosed out of some work I was banking on (already bringing in materials for it, seriously screw Matt Carson forever), which kept me from being able to do my hosting expansion as planned, but I had already promised to my customers the rate decrease which it would have allowed, so I pretty much lost out on not just the revenue from that job but another $1-1.5K per month from last March through February of this year. So, pretty much everything I wanted to do in the last year (stick miners excepted, fortunately, mostly thanks to some work Novak brought in) has either been dropped entirely or way behind schedule, which is why we didn't have 4K boards and DPS800/1200 boards at least eight months ago. I had a DPS8/12 prototype built in December 2013.

I think if the miner project takes off, I might get out of PSU boards entirely. Which kinda sucks since we basically started that market.

I would stay.  The 12V RC battery market still covers these widgets. 

-Optim

www.price-technology.com
toptek
Legendary

View Profile
March 21, 2016, 01:19:19 PM
Last edit: March 21, 2016, 02:10:54 PM by toptek

hey Optimizer

forgot to ask what other PSU can these be plugged in to , i have a miner that draws close to 2.3 k in power coming today. i may buy one of the 2500 watt psu and hows your version of the 800/1200 board coming ?

Side said his are due out in about two weeks with 6 pin plugs . me i really don't care what kind of plug is used as long as it's safe and stays on, would rather have PCEI Plugs for the easy plug in etc  but if the Screw type are Designed right, there just as good.

So far the three i bought form you meet that need Smiley .

I can use two 1200 watt 'psu if needed and turn one side of the miner off etc at times. i checked it can make in scrpt coins = to btc close to 0.03 or more a day depends on the price at that time, were i mine etc, what coin !!! most don't like alt coins because , I'm guessing all the work involved in exchanging them for BTC . and other claims, i won't get into because it might start some thing, i don't want to start . also i like doing Sha256 or btc, if i do sha256 coins,it's only btc.

with Scripts there is so much more to do, if you have the MH power you can do pretty good, if that's your bag or reason for mining ").

philipma1957
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 21, 2016, 01:34:03 PM

I decided not to buy the 2000 watt boards from you because I can not justify it economically.

I have 4   2980 ibm psus with 4 boards from j4bberwock

No one else makes this break out board.

The 2980 psu is by far the most efficient of all these psus.  

So even though these boards seem superior to j4bberwock  2880/2980 board

which I have now managed blacken the jacks.  Buying these boards mean I do not get to use my four  2980 psus.

I felt I wanted to explain this more clearly so that others do not have my issue which is the most efficient server psu intel 2980 using boards that are not quite good enough for an avalon 6.

The 2880/2980 boards should be good enough for the s-7 since an s-7 jack is under 150 dc watts.  the avalon 6 jack can pull 260 dc watts.

I believe if you have the boards here with the dps 2000 psu it will be good for avalon 6's

I believe if you have the 2880/2980 with j4bberwock's board and you run  avalon 6's you could be at risk.

If I was to do this all over I would use optimizer's boards with my avalon 6's

However  that is not the case for me.

If anyone makes a new 2880-2980  board with more copper I will try them.

see jacks in this photo

▄▄███████▄▄
▄██████████████▄
▄██████████████████▄
▄████▀▀▀▀███▀▀▀▀█████▄
▄█████████████▄█▀████▄
███████████▄███████████
██████████▄█▀███████████
██████████▀████████████
▀█████▄█▀█████████████▀
▀████▄▄▄▄███▄▄▄▄████▀
▀██████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
.. PLAY NOW ..
Optimizer (OP)

View Profile WWW
March 22, 2016, 10:14:25 PM

hey Optimizer

forgot to ask what other PSU can these be plugged in to , i have a miner that draws close to 2.3 k in power coming today. i may buy one of the 2500 watt psu and hows your version of the 800/1200 board coming ?

Side said his are due out in about two weeks with 6 pin plugs . me i really don't care what kind of plug is used as long as it's safe and stays on, would rather have PCEI Plugs for the easy plug in etc  but if the Screw type are Designed right, there just as good.

So far the three i bought form you meet that need Smiley .

I can use two 1200 watt 'psu if needed and turn one side of the miner off etc at times. i checked it can make in scrpt coins = to btc close to 0.03 or more a day depends on the price at that time, were i mine etc, what coin !!! most don't like alt coins because , I'm guessing all the work involved in exchanging them for BTC . and other claims, i won't get into because it might start some thing, i don't want to start . also i like doing Sha256 or btc, if i do sha256 coins,it's only btc.

with Scripts there is so much more to do, if you have the MH power you can do pretty good, if that's your bag or reason for mining ").

Top,

This should work for the 2500 board, though I have not tested to 2.5kW.  Monitor board temperature at higher loads.  Let me know how it goes.  I won't have a completed setup for this until the 4ks are tested.

I ran into a snag with the 800/1200 connectors so I am testing a few variants to see what works best.  Will let you know.

We can discuss Ant later for your 256.  I'm probably going to avoid miners directly unless someone has a solid source for the latest and greatest BitFury's ;-)

Happy hunting and let me know how it goes,
-Optim

www.price-technology.com
Optimizer (OP)

View Profile WWW
March 22, 2016, 10:18:33 PM

I decided not to buy the 2000 watt boards from you because I can not justify it economically.

which I have now managed blacken the jacks.  Buying these boards mean I do not get to use my four  2980 psus.

I felt I wanted to explain this more clearly so that others do not have my issue which is the most efficient server psu intel 2980 using boards that are not quite good enough for an avalon 6.

The 2880/2980 boards should be good enough for the s-7 since an s-7 jack is under 150 dc watts.  the avalon 6 jack can pull 260 dc watts.

I believe if you have the boards here with the dps 2000 psu it will be good for avalon 6's

I believe if you have the 2880/2980 with j4bberwock's board and you run  avalon 6's you could be at risk.

see jacks in this photo

Phil,

I am working on a DPS800/1200 board as well as a 4k (Combo DPS2k).  I was planning on looking at the 2880/2980 as soon as I completed the other two sets (since it requires a load upgrade on my test setup).  If you are that interested, you are welcome to vote with your wallet in pre-orders. :-P

-Optim

www.price-technology.com
philipma1957
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 23, 2016, 02:22:33 AM

see jacks in this photo

Phil,

I am working on a DPS800/1200 board as well as a 4k (Combo DPS2k).  I was planning on looking at the 2880/2980 as soon as I completed the other two sets (since it requires a load upgrade on my test setup).  If you are that interested, you are welcome to vote with your wallet in pre-orders. :-P

-Optim

I would be willing to mail you one psu a 2880 to use as your tester.

I have drawn the conclusion that  the j4bberwock 2880/2980 boards most likely  should not be used with avalon 6 gear.
I have mostly avalon 6's and mostly 2880 /2980 boards. along with mostly 2980 psu's

The most cost effective fix for me is to wait for a better 2880/2980 board.

if sending a psu to you helps to speed up a board it is worth it.

▄▄███████▄▄
▄██████████████▄
▄██████████████████▄
▄████▀▀▀▀███▀▀▀▀█████▄
▄█████████████▄█▀████▄
███████████▄███████████
██████████▄█▀███████████
██████████▀████████████
▀█████▄█▀█████████████▀
▀████▄▄▄▄███▄▄▄▄████▀
▀██████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
.. PLAY NOW ..
sidehack
Legendary

View Profile
March 23, 2016, 02:24:32 AM

By the way, I just built your cables. Hopefully they do the trick, and should be in the mail tomorrow.

philipma1957
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 23, 2016, 03:30:29 AM

By the way, I just built your cables. Hopefully they do the trick, and should be in the mail tomorrow.

yeah  I am going to use them and try to see what happens to the 2980 I am running.

I am also going to test one of these 2000w boards as someone was kind enough to send me one.

▄▄███████▄▄
▄██████████████▄
▄██████████████████▄
▄████▀▀▀▀███▀▀▀▀█████▄
▄█████████████▄█▀████▄
███████████▄███████████
██████████▄█▀███████████
██████████▀████████████
▀█████▄█▀█████████████▀
▀████▄▄▄▄███▄▄▄▄████▀
▀██████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
.. PLAY NOW ..
Optimizer (OP)

View Profile WWW
March 23, 2016, 03:43:49 AM

yeah  I am going to use them and try to see what happens to the 2980 I am running.

I am also going to test one of these 2000w boards as someone was kind enough to send me one.

Interesting.  I have a stock of 1k cable coming in from some partners in China.  Was going to test the waters on the website/Amazon.  I am doing 2 footers with 6 pinners on each end.

By the way, who sent you a board!?  Silent knight I suppose.

-Optim

www.price-technology.com
philipma1957
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 23, 2016, 04:08:32 AM

Interesting.  I have a stock of 1k cable coming in from some partners in China.  Was going to test the waters on the website/Amazon.  I am doing 2 footers with 6 pinners on each end.

By the way, who sent you a board!?  Silent knight I suppose.

-Optim

well I am stuck with the 2880/2980 gear

so  they have 20 jacks   so if I run 2 avalon 6's   the y cable   allows 16 jacks to go to 8 jacks.  pulling  2200 watts ac.

so 2200/16 =  137.50 watts at each 2880/2980 breakout board jack used.

now  it is 2200/8 = 275 watts at each 2880/2980 breakout board jack used.

got to be safer  ½ the load on each jack. 

if I did not have all the 2980 psu's  and the boards  switching would be easier. (about 700 usd)

but after testing the 2980's they are true platinum.

and the 2000 watt hps are not plat  most likely they are silver.

I am passing on the donator question.  But it will be nice to test your  gear.

The offer stands if you want to play with the 2880 psu (same pinout as the 2980)

▄▄███████▄▄
▄██████████████▄
▄██████████████████▄
▄████▀▀▀▀███▀▀▀▀█████▄
▄█████████████▄█▀████▄
███████████▄███████████
██████████▄█▀███████████
██████████▀████████████
▀█████▄█▀█████████████▀
▀████▄▄▄▄███▄▄▄▄████▀
▀██████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
.. PLAY NOW ..
Optimizer (OP)

View Profile WWW
March 23, 2016, 06:04:14 AM

yeah  I am going to use them and try to see what happens to the 2980 I am running.

Interesting.  I have a stock of 1k cable coming in from some partners in China.  Was going to test the waters on the website/Amazon.  I am doing 2 footers with 6 pinners on each end.

By the way, who sent you a board!?  Silent knight I suppose.

-Optim

so  they have 20 jacks   so if I run 2 avalon 6's   the y cable   allows 16 jacks to go to 8 jacks.  pulling  2200 watts ac.

so 2200/16 =  137.50 watts at each 2880/2980 breakout board jack used.

now  it is 2200/8 = 275 watts at each 2880/2980 breakout board jack used.

got to be safer  ½ the load on each jack.  

if I did not have all the 2980 psu's  and the boards  switching would be easier. (about 700 usd)

and the 2000 watt hps are not plat  most likely they are silver.

I am passing on the donator question.  But it will be nice to test your  gear.

The offer stands if you want to play with the 2880 psu (same pinout as the 2980)

I'm interested, though you should be more concerned with the current at each pin.  With the limitations in layout, I would not exceed 15A per PCI-e connector and even that is pushing it at the board to connector interfacing.

-Optim

www.price-technology.com
philipma1957
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 23, 2016, 11:46:30 AM

yeah  I am going to use them and try to see what happens to the 2980 I am running.

Interesting.  I have a stock of 1k cable coming in from some partners in China.  Was going to test the waters on the website/Amazon.  I am doing 2 footers with 6 pinners on each end.

By the way, who sent you a board!?  Silent knight I suppose.

-Optim

so  they have 20 jacks   so if I run 2 avalon 6's   the y cable   allows 16 jacks to go to 8 jacks.  pulling  2200 watts ac.

so 2200/16 =  137.50 watts at each 2880/2980 breakout board jack used.

now  it is 2200/8 = 275 watts at each 2880/2980 breakout board jack used.

got to be safer  ½ the load on each jack.  

if I did not have all the 2980 psu's  and the boards  switching would be easier. (about 700 usd)

and the 2000 watt hps are not plat  most likely they are silver.

I am passing on the donator question.  But it will be nice to test your  gear.

I'm interested, though you should be more concerned with the current at each pin.  With the limitations in layout, I would not exceed 15A per PCI-e connector and even that is pushing it at the board to connector interfacing.

-Optim

I got your pm.
I am busy today,

but i am going to the solar array on thurs or friday I will pick up the 2880 and ship it with the  break out board on sat.

▄▄███████▄▄
▄██████████████▄
▄██████████████████▄
▄████▀▀▀▀███▀▀▀▀█████▄
▄█████████████▄█▀████▄
███████████▄███████████
██████████▄█▀███████████
██████████▀████████████
▀█████▄█▀█████████████▀
▀████▄▄▄▄███▄▄▄▄████▀
▀██████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
.. PLAY NOW ..
judypug1956

Activity: 355
Merit: 276

View Profile
March 26, 2016, 11:36:38 AM

Phil did you get better results with you y-cable idea?

1956jUdYPFwiBSzt9AECdWj3KE4WV7taiM I can't do 1957philma.. for btc address the i are not allowed This is a secondary account for Philipma1957, don't do business with this account deal with philipma1957
philipma1957
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 26, 2016, 11:48:40 AM

Side hack made up some 39 inch  y cables.

results are perfect at the one day mark on my 2880/2890 boards

quotes below

basically

121.44 watts vs 242.88 watts per breakout board jack

or 10 amps vs 20 amps per breakout board jack

So if you are like me and have a ton of 2880/2980 break out boards the high quality  full length y-cables seem to work

if you have the 2000 watt gear optimizers boards are better the j4bberwocks for the avalon 6

I will be doing testing on them very soon.

I simply say this  j4bberwock's boards do not work great with the avalon 6 due to the higher current needed.
make adjustments for the sake of safety.

@ optimizer I sent a 2880 psu and the 2880  breakout board that was toasted a bit

What do sidehack's cables look like in action?

they are 16 gauge and they plug into 16  jacks on the psu side

on the avalon end 2 avalon 6's have a total of 8 jacks.

so 16 jacks merge into 8 jacks.

this setup draws 8.8 to 9.0 amps of 240 volt power.  it is 40 f this morning

so 8.8 amps of 240 volt power = 2112 watts at the wall/ac

2112/7058 =  0.2992 watts at the pdu/wall

sp the 2980 is a true platinum psu
and these y cables 1 meter long  allow the load on the breakout board jacks to run far cooler

as 2112/16 = 132 watts   vs  2112/8 = 264 watts
i was lazy and used the ac watts I did not convert to dc

so 132 watts x .92 = 121.44   vs 264 x .92 = 242.88

So the 2880 /2980 breakout board  seems to not be able to handle 242.88 dc watts very well
but it seems to do well with 121.44  dc watts

I have a lot of these psu's and boards so getting the custom wires works for me.

note the volts do not sag  this issue is bigger on the avalon 6 then the s-7

▄▄███████▄▄
▄██████████████▄
▄██████████████████▄
▄████▀▀▀▀███▀▀▀▀█████▄
▄█████████████▄█▀████▄
███████████▄███████████
██████████▄█▀███████████
██████████▀████████████
▀█████▄█▀█████████████▀
▀████▄▄▄▄███▄▄▄▄████▀
▀██████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
.. PLAY NOW ..
Optimizer (OP)

View Profile WWW
March 26, 2016, 06:05:52 PM

quotes below

basically

So if you are like me and have a ton of 2880/2980 break out boards the high quality  full length y-cables seem to work

if you have the 2000 watt gear optimizers boards are better the j4bberwocks for the avalon 6

I simply say this  j4bberwock's boards do not work great with the avalon 6 due to the higher current needed.

@ optimizer I sent a 2880 psu and the 2880  breakout board that was toasted a bit

and these y cables 1 meter long  allow the load on the breakout board jacks to run far cooler

So the 2880 /2980 breakout board  seems to not be able to handle 242.88 dc watts very well

I have a lot of these psu's and boards so getting the custom wires works for me.

I'd be a bit more concerned with the losses incurred at the breakout junction.  These boards are burning up at that end with single cables because the large amount of resistance associated with that design.  You are spreading out the heat with the Y cables but the power is still lost there.  I'd say this is more of a patch for safety.  I'd also cut down on length if you can.  The 16AWG wiring is safe, but the length will equate to voltage losses that may effect the end miner.

@Phil

I just got the 2880 supply.  It looks doable.  I might go for a two board solution but I'm busy with the 4ks.  I'll let you know how it goes.  I'm assuming you want to see this before April and Bitfury?

-Optim

www.price-technology.com
philipma1957
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 26, 2016, 07:11:05 PM

quotes below

basically

I'd be a bit more concerned with the losses incurred at the breakout junction.  These boards are burning up at that end with single cables because the large amount of resistance associated with that design.  You are spreading out the heat with the Y cables but the power is still lost there.  I'd say this is more of a patch for safety.  I'd also cut down on length if you can.  The 16AWG wiring is safe, but the length will equate to voltage losses that may effect the end miner.

@Phil

I just got the 2880 supply.  It looks doable.  I might go for a two board solution but I'm busy with the 4ks.  I'll let you know how it goes.  I'm assuming you want to see this before April and Bitfury?

-Optim

I can deal with april 15th or so.

I am working around this for now.

I have a lot of atx psu's in house. And I am looking to do the moving of gear slowly to the solar array.

▄▄███████▄▄
▄██████████████▄
▄██████████████████▄
▄████▀▀▀▀███▀▀▀▀█████▄
▄█████████████▄█▀████▄
███████████▄███████████
██████████▄█▀███████████
██████████▀████████████
▀█████▄█▀█████████████▀
▀████▄▄▄▄███▄▄▄▄████▀
▀██████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
.. PLAY NOW ..
eugesha

Activity: 65
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 19, 2016, 10:02:15 AM

hi,
do you have any news about DPS-1200FB common slot breakout boards development ?
toptek
Legendary

View Profile
April 19, 2016, 08:58:45 PM

hi,

if he doesn't yet sidehack is starting sells for his version here https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1442707.0 

btw if i what read is true the idea and first boards came from side but i would buy both sides and Opt boards over any one else that sells them i have bought from both sellers and there stuff is good.

Optimizer (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 20, 2016, 12:15:12 AM
Last edit: September 28, 2016, 02:05:07 AM by Optimizer

hi,

if he doesn't yet sidehack is starting sells for his version here https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1442707.0  

btw if i what read is true the idea and first boards came from side but i would buy both sides and Opt boards over any one else that sells them i have bought from both sellers and there stuff is good.

Hey you two,

I have been dug into a few contracts, but I have not forgotten.  I have some functional 4k prototypes that I can now produce to whoever need.  The DPS1200/800 boards are designed, but I am having issues sourcing connectors (10053363-200LF).  As soon as I am able to readily source those parts or any variants I can push forward on producing these little guys.

I also have completed a design for the 2880 variants, but sourcing these connectors is also proving problematic (the 3 pin connector in right angle variants).  As soon as I hear back from contacts in China I will let you know.  

If anyone knows of a source or substitute I can tack on these boards, you would help streamline the production of these boards.  Any help is appreciated.

I have just received a shipment of 1k PCI-e cables if you are interested.  I saw that other vendors were running low so I stocked up.  

PM me for details or if you have any questions.  And always check the website for updates.  They will be coming very soon.

www.price-technology.com - Go to Contact Us if you have any requests.

-Optim

www.price-technology.com
philipma1957
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 20, 2016, 05:26:59 PM

hi,

Hey you two,

I have been dug into a few contracts, but I have not forgotten.  I have some functional 4k prototypes that I can now produce to whoever need.  The DPS1200/800 boards are designed, but I am having issues sourcing connectors (10053363-200LF).  As soon as I am able to readily source those parts or any variants I can push forward on producing these little guys.

I also have completed a design for the 2880 variants, but sourcing these connectors is also proving problematic (the 3 pin connector in right angle variants).  As soon as I hear back from contacts in China I will let you know.  

If anyone knows of a source or substitute I can tack on these boards, you would help streamline the production of these boards.  Any help is appreciated.

I have just received a shipment of 1k PCI-e cables if you are interested.  I saw that other vendors were running low so I stocked up.  

PM me for details or if you have any questions.  And always check the website for updates.  They will be coming very soon.

www.controlteam.com - and E-mail sales@controlteam.com if you have any special requests since many of the buttons aren't up yet.

-Optim

I am hoping you do find something for the 2880 boards as I have three idle 2980 psus. That would fully allow me to run all my Avalon 6s at platinum level.

Side hack s   Breakout board for the hp 1200 and 800 is pretty good I am doing a head to head test with it and a 1200 watt 250 usd gold psu.

I suppose I could use 1 double board 2000 = 4000 watt psu.

▄▄███████▄▄
▄██████████████▄
▄██████████████████▄
▄████▀▀▀▀███▀▀▀▀█████▄
▄█████████████▄█▀████▄
███████████▄███████████
██████████▄█▀███████████
██████████▀████████████
▀█████▄█▀█████████████▀
▀████▄▄▄▄███▄▄▄▄████▀
▀██████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
.. PLAY NOW ..
philipma1957
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 23, 2016, 01:29:20 PM
Last edit: June 23, 2016, 01:44:12 PM by philipma1957

dragged this up as i could use a  2000 watt breakout board and some pcie cables.

I have one of your 2000 watt boards and it works well.

I did send you an ibm 2880 osu and a breakout board on my dime.

I wondered if you could pm me a coupon to buy a 2000 watt board and 10 pcie six pin  to six connectors.

I would then place an order for the gear.  thanks phil

note: I emailed your website please reply.

▄▄███████▄▄
▄██████████████▄
▄██████████████████▄
▄████▀▀▀▀███▀▀▀▀█████▄
▄█████████████▄█▀████▄
███████████▄███████████
██████████▄█▀███████████
██████████▀████████████
▀█████▄█▀█████████████▀
▀████▄▄▄▄███▄▄▄▄████▀
▀██████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
.. PLAY NOW ..
Optimizer (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 23, 2016, 07:16:59 PM

See my reply!  I am still here.  Contract manufacturing has cost me quite a bit of time. 

I will put up in a new post in the "For sale" thread shortly.

-Optim

www.price-technology.com
philipma1957
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 23, 2016, 07:36:54 PM

See my reply!  I am still here.  Contract manufacturing has cost me quite a bit of time. 

I will put up in a new post in the "For sale" thread shortly.

-Optim

thank you just got the email from you.

I will post detailed thread on this board vs the dual board from j4bberwock.

I have 1 of your boards the second one will allow for tests of the dps-1600 and the dps-2500 psus

http://www.esaitech.com/delta-electronics-dps-1600bb-1800-watts-power-supply.html

http://www.itcreations.com/view_product.asp?product_id=38186

along with the dps-2000 psu

▄▄███████▄▄
▄██████████████▄
▄██████████████████▄
▄████▀▀▀▀███▀▀▀▀█████▄
▄█████████████▄█▀████▄
███████████▄███████████
██████████▄█▀███████████
██████████▀████████████
▀█████▄█▀█████████████▀
▀████▄▄▄▄███▄▄▄▄████▀
▀██████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
.. PLAY NOW ..
E

Activity: 234

View Profile
June 24, 2016, 07:18:40 PM

I wanted to add some DPS-2000BB efficiency numbers to this thread, as I've recently been measuring DC and AC draw on my S9 at various clock speeds.

Counting 12V cable losses, I'm seeing 88.3 to 88.7% efficiency everywhere from 800W up to 1400W DC. Ignoring cable losses the efficiency is 89.7 to 90%.

This is all at a 208V input voltage... efficiency should be higher with higher input voltage but I haven't been able to test that yet.

philipma1957
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2016, 07:28:50 PM

I wanted to add some DPS-2000BB efficiency numbers to this thread, as I've recently been measuring DC and AC draw on my S9 at various clock speeds.

Counting 12V cable losses, I'm seeing 88.3 to 88.7% efficiency everywhere from 800W up to 1400W DC. Ignoring cable losses the efficiency is 89.7 to 90%.

This is all at a 208V input voltage... efficiency should be higher with higher input voltage but I haven't been able to test that yet.

so far  I am getting good numbers with his board on the dps-1600 psu.

I am waiting for   the second board and the dps-2500 psu

The goal will be to run them on my pdu that has an amp meter.

right now I am running his one board  with the dps-1600 psu  and running an evga 1600 p2  the two are driving  a pair of s-9's batch 2 set to freq  600 

the pdu reads 10 amps  and bounces to 11 amps rarely  which would mean 2400 to 2640 watts  for  about 25.0-26.0th
so far so good.

▄▄███████▄▄
▄██████████████▄
▄██████████████████▄
▄████▀▀▀▀███▀▀▀▀█████▄
▄█████████████▄█▀████▄
███████████▄███████████
██████████▄█▀███████████
██████████▀████████████
▀█████▄█▀█████████████▀
▀████▄▄▄▄███▄▄▄▄████▀
▀██████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
.. PLAY NOW ..
Optimizer (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2016, 08:20:22 PM

Higher input voltage, implies lower input current (Usually).  If your losses are dominated by I^2 * R, then it will help.

Philipma,

Let me know how it goes.  I don't have the best power analyzer set up.  It would be good to know.

-Optim

www.price-technology.com
E

Activity: 234

View Profile
June 24, 2016, 08:58:07 PM

Higher input voltage, implies lower input current (Usually).  If your losses are dominated by I^2 * R, then it will help.
208V vs 240V efficiency numbers aren't commonly published, but the difference is likely to be less than 0.5% or so.

For example, an unspecified HP PSU measured in 2007:

BTW I'm making my measurements with a calibrated Xitron 2503AH (http://www.xitrontech.com/products/general-purpose-power-analyzers/#2503ah) with an external 500A precision shunt for the DC current; the Xitron is good to better than 0.05% on the internal I/V measurements but the shunt is only spec'd to 0.1% so that dominates the error.

One cool thing you can observe with this is how current draw from a miner increases by 10s of watts as everything warms up to operating temperature. I'll try to get a video of that because it is pretty interesting to watch!
Optimizer (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2016, 09:03:40 PM

208V vs 240V efficiency numbers aren't commonly published, but the difference is likely to be less than 0.5% or so.

BTW I'm making my measurements with a calibrated Xitron 2503AH (http://www.xitrontech.com/products/general-purpose-power-analyzers/#2503ah) with an external 500A precision shunt for the DC current.
[/quote]

Nice.  I am jealous!  We may rely on your for accuracy.

Let me know what numbers you find. 

@Philipma, be careful when testing to 2500.  I have not tested these boards beyond 2kW for an extended period of time.  It should be safe, but try not to exceed 130C anywhere on the board.

-Optim

www.price-technology.com
philipma1957
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2016, 09:15:56 PM

BTW I'm making my measurements with a calibrated Xitron 2503AH (http://www.xitrontech.com/products/general-purpose-power-analyzers/#2503ah) with an external 500A precision shunt for the DC current.

Nice.  I am jealous!  We may rely on your for accuracy.

Let me know what numbers you find. 

@Philipma, be careful when testing to 2500.  I have not tested these boards beyond 2kW for an extended period of time.  It should be safe, but try not to exceed 130C anywhere on the board.

-Optim
[/quote]

no worries  my tests will use 1 miner for each psu which will pull about 1200-1500 watts at the wall

I just have the

dps1600 1  with your board

dps2000 2 in a j4bberwock 4k board

dps2500 1 not set up waiting for your second board.

basically any of the above will only run 1 s-9

I will over clock and  under clock. and take  heat measurements plus give my pdu amp readings,  but I do not think I will ever exceed 1500 watts at the wall on any of the above psu's

▄▄███████▄▄
▄██████████████▄
▄██████████████████▄
▄████▀▀▀▀███▀▀▀▀█████▄
▄█████████████▄█▀████▄
███████████▄███████████
██████████▄█▀███████████
██████████▀████████████
▀█████▄█▀█████████████▀
▀████▄▄▄▄███▄▄▄▄████▀
▀██████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
.. PLAY NOW ..
Finksy
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1003

View Profile
June 27, 2016, 05:18:38 AM

no worries  my tests will use 1 miner for each psu which will pull about 1200-1500 watts at the wall

I just have the

dps1600 1  with your board

dps2000 2 in a j4bberwock 4k board

dps2500 1 not set up waiting for your second board.

basically any of the above will only run 1 s-9

I will over clock and  under clock. and take  heat measurements plus give my pdu amp readings,  but I do not think I will ever exceed 1500 watts at the wall on any of the above psu's

The DPS-4K will easily power 2x S9's Phil, and depending on batch it could be closer to 3.  Even the IBM 2880W can power 2x S9's.

IBM 2880W PSU Packages: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=966135 IBM 4K PSU Breakout Boards & Packages: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1308296 
Server PSU-powered GPU rig solutions! https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1864539  Wallet address: 1GWQYCv22cAikgTgT1zFuAmsJ9fFqq9TXf 
sidehack
Legendary

View Profile
June 27, 2016, 01:21:01 PM

If the boards are built about like mine they'll handle 2500W fine. Before we sold anything we pushed the PSU to about 196A and left it running for a week.
I know the rail layering with 6-pins is quite a bit different than for straight screw terminals so the thickness isn't there, but you also get 2-3 times the area, which reduces current density and improves heat radiation.

I'd have no qualms at all powering three S9 off a 4K setup. I know 2xDPS2K works well for 3xS7.

philipma1957
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 27, 2016, 01:30:50 PM

I got the second 2k board today.  the dps-2500 comes on tues.

So far  4 s-9s' and 1 s-7  are in the array

2 s-9's on the 4k board            = flawless   freq 600  2 dps  2000 psu
1 s-9   on optimizer's 2k board = flawless   freq 600   a dps 1600 psu
1 s-9   on EVGA 1600 p2          = flawless  freq  600

1 s-7   on EVGA  1600 t2           = good  freq  600

all have 240 volt ac.  the draw for the 5 pieces is about 25 amps

I think I am going to order another s-9 today

we will have 6 units  which will be  the max for the current setup.

▄▄███████▄▄
▄██████████████▄
▄██████████████████▄
▄████▀▀▀▀███▀▀▀▀█████▄
▄█████████████▄█▀████▄
███████████▄███████████
██████████▄█▀███████████
██████████▀████████████
▀█████▄█▀█████████████▀
▀████▄▄▄▄███▄▄▄▄████▀
▀██████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
.. PLAY NOW ..
philipma1957
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 29, 2016, 03:50:48 AM
Last edit: June 29, 2016, 03:19:52 PM by philipma1957

I orderedr the fifth s-9  and I have the second board from optimizer.

I tested it with my eBay purchase of the dps 2500 psu   this psu can draw 2320 watts.   but it will run 1 s-9 so should never over tax itself to the board.

I will photo it in a few minutes.

two fans really cool the psu off

ready for the s-9  

switch and space for 3 fans

two fans this size can do two of these psu's

▄▄███████▄▄
▄██████████████▄
▄██████████████████▄
▄████▀▀▀▀███▀▀▀▀█████▄
▄█████████████▄█▀████▄
███████████▄███████████
██████████▄█▀███████████
██████████▀████████████
▀█████▄█▀█████████████▀
▀████▄▄▄▄███▄▄▄▄████▀
▀██████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
.. PLAY NOW ..
TheYankeesWin!

Activity: 462
Merit: 300

View Profile
June 29, 2016, 03:30:15 PM

I know you mentioned this is a dps 2500 psu. So does this mean this breakout board can run the dps 1600, dps 2000, and dps 2500 psus?
philipma1957
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 29, 2016, 03:36:33 PM

Yes  = dps 1600

I do not know = dps -2000 other people have had great results  I have yet to test my dps-2000 psus

maybe = dps-2500    I have partial results.

I have one of these breakout boards working as I type it is using the dps-1600 psu which can provide up to 1800watts.  It works great.

I have not used it on the dps-2000 psus so I do not know only because I have not tested it. Ohters have and say it works great

I have the second breakout board in the photos above.  it is using the dps-2500 psu which can provide up to 2320 watts. It has not yet been fully tested  it powers on the  the dps-2500  the two attach fans turn on.

▄▄███████▄▄
▄██████████████▄
▄██████████████████▄
▄████▀▀▀▀███▀▀▀▀█████▄
▄█████████████▄█▀████▄
███████████▄███████████
██████████▄█▀███████████
██████████▀████████████
▀█████▄█▀█████████████▀
▀████▄▄▄▄███▄▄▄▄████▀
▀██████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
.. PLAY NOW ..
Optimizer (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 29, 2016, 04:39:50 PM

I know you mentioned this is a dps 2500 psu. So does this mean this breakout board can run the dps 1600, dps 2000, and dps 2500 psus?

It should work with all of the PSUs matching the IO config.  I have tested the 2000 PSUs to max load myself and MarkAZ put a write up on the 2000 test in the original thread posted at the beginning of this article.  Phil is covering the rest.

-Optim

www.price-technology.com
NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

View Profile
June 29, 2016, 05:28:03 PM

I know for a fact that the IBM 2kw psu's will comfortably run 3x s5's which is around 1,800w total. From before I updated to s7's https://i.imgur.com/XRlk5Tq.jpg
don't even need fans for them in this config Smiley

philipma1957
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 29, 2016, 06:03:29 PM
Last edit: June 29, 2016, 06:22:46 PM by philipma1957

I know for a fact that the IBM 2kw psu's will comfortably run 3x s5's which is around 1,800w total. From before I updated to s7's https://i.imgur.com/XRlk5Tq.jpg
don't even need fans for them in this config Smiley

well the pair of 2k = 4k on finksy/j4bberwock works okay

the single from optimizer dps 1600   running 1 s-9 works okay

I am sure the single from optimizer dps-2500 will be good.

I have a gold dps-2500  psu   they come in platinum  I am looking for one at a good price.

my gut tells me  the dps-2500 running a  pair of modified s-9ln's will be in my future .  Maybe in my home on oct 1st when my power rates drop from 18 cents to 12 cents for the winter.

I am looking for this dps-2500cb b

http://www.plugloadsolutions.com/psu_reports/DELTA%20ELECTRONICS%20INC_DPS-2500CB%20B_2748W_SO-755_Report.pdf

although  the one I have is rated great at ½ load  92.8% at 1255 watts

http://www.plugloadsolutions.com/psu_reports/IBM%20CORP_DPS-2500BB%20A_2500W_SO-172_Report.pdf

http://www.plugloadsolutions.com/psu_reports/DELTA%20ELECTRONICS,%20INC._DPS-1600FB%20A_1600W_SO-608_Report.pdf

lots of ratings on the psu's that work with this board  are on this site.

http://www.plugloadsolutions.com/80PlusPowerSuppliesDetail.aspx?id=27&type=1

http://www.plugloadsolutions.com/psu_reports/DELTA%20ELECTRONICS,%20INC._DPS-2000FB%20A_1800W_SO-994_Report.pdf

http://www.plugloadsolutions.com/psu_reports/DELTA%20ELECTRONICS%20INC_DPS-2500CB%20B_2748W_SO-755_Report.pdf
http://www.plugloadsolutions.com/psu_reports/DELTA%20ELECTRONICS,%20INC._DPS-1600AB-10%20X_1600W_SO-996_Report.pdf

http://www.plugloadsolutions.com/psu_reports/DELTA%20ELECTRONICS%20(DONGGUAN)%20CO.,%20LTD._DPS-1600AB-1%20A_1600W_SO-890_Report.pdf

▄▄███████▄▄
▄██████████████▄
▄██████████████████▄
▄████▀▀▀▀███▀▀▀▀█████▄
▄█████████████▄█▀████▄
███████████▄███████████
██████████▄█▀███████████
██████████▀████████████
▀█████▄█▀█████████████▀
▀████▄▄▄▄███▄▄▄▄████▀
▀██████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
.. PLAY NOW ..
toptek
Legendary

View Profile
June 29, 2016, 07:30:31 PM
Last edit: June 29, 2016, 07:46:10 PM by toptek

I was one of the first to buy this i bought three and sold one , i use two right  now with the DPS 2000 watt PSU have been for months with out issue if im not mistaken it was designed for the Dps 2000 . i use both boards every day with out fail , planing to buy two more and try them out on the 2500 psu and 1600 psu sense one or two have .

this PSU

http://www.ebay.com/itm/IBM-BladeCenter-Delta-2000W-Power-Supply-Unit-DPS-2000BB-39Y7360-39Y7359-/381564359940

philipma1957
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 29, 2016, 07:38:01 PM
Last edit: June 29, 2016, 08:02:48 PM by philipma1957

I was one of the first to buy this i bought three and sold one , i use two right  now with the DPS 2000 watt PSU have been for months with out issue if im not mistaken it was designed for the Dps 2000 . i use both boards every day with out fail , planing to buy two more and try them out on the 2500 psu and 1600 psu sense one or two have .

So far I am very happy with these boards.

a kit for 1 s-9 is about 85 usd plus shipping. that is 1 board and 10 pcie wires

Now as a suggestion to the op   I am in NJ you are west coast.  you sent the second set to me in a small flat rate box.

The post office would allow you to order small flat rate boxes for free  and flat rate padded envelope for free.

Stick the gear in the small flat rate box and stick the box in the flat rate padded envelope

these are screen shots of usps order page for small flat rate and padded envelope

https://i.imgur.com/QIk8MCg.png

https://i.imgur.com/jRYeJP6.png

order 6 packs of 15 envelopes = 90 they will come in a case like this

your cost is about the same and the gear gets a little more protection. And a touch more room if the order is for a board and  12 cables vs 10 cables.  Since the board can fit 12 cables some may want to use all 12 cables.

I am clocking  my s-9 and it is still in China not sure if I get it on fri the first or not.

▄▄███████▄▄
▄██████████████▄
▄██████████████████▄
▄████▀▀▀▀███▀▀▀▀█████▄
▄█████████████▄█▀████▄
███████████▄███████████
██████████▄█▀███████████
██████████▀████████████
▀█████▄█▀█████████████▀
▀████▄▄▄▄███▄▄▄▄████▀
▀██████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
.. PLAY NOW ..
Optimizer (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 30, 2016, 03:20:09 AM

@Philipma

Sick.  Thank you.  I will try that.

Do you happen to have some efficiency numbers from your system??

-Optim

www.price-technology.com
philipma1957
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 30, 2016, 03:41:34 AM

@Philipma

-Optim

I have 1 pdu running a dps-1600 with your board and with a evga 1600 p2.

I get readings of 10 and 11 amps for two s-9s

So 2400 watts to 2600 watts for 24 to 26 th.

I have a second pdu so if I run 1 s-9 the pdu meter will be 5.0 to 5.5 amps as my pdu has  only 2 digits.

I will be able to do this on Friday or Monday

▄▄███████▄▄
▄██████████████▄
▄██████████████████▄
▄████▀▀▀▀███▀▀▀▀█████▄
▄█████████████▄█▀████▄
███████████▄███████████
██████████▄█▀███████████
██████████▀████████████
▀█████▄█▀█████████████▀
▀████▄▄▄▄███▄▄▄▄████▀
▀██████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
.. PLAY NOW ..
Optimizer (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 30, 2016, 08:03:40 PM

@Philipma

-Optim

I have a second pdu so if I run 1 s-9 the pdu meter will be 5.0 to 5.5 amps as my pdu has  only 2 digits.

That's not quite as accurate as I was hoping.  Are you able to measure the voltage at the supply output and at the end of the PCI-e cables?  That is the real number I am looking for tbh, though running a power analyzer as described above is the best system level information.

I am only measuring with DC load at the moment and I find it is much less reliable.

-Optim

www.price-technology.com
philipma1957
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 30, 2016, 08:57:53 PM

@Philipma

-Optim

That's not quite as accurate as I was hoping.  Are you able to measure the voltage at the supply output and at the end of the PCI-e cables?  That is the real number I am looking for tbh, though running a power analyzer as described above is the best system level information.

I am only measuring with DC load at the moment and I find it is much less reliable.

-Optim

i can give 5 numbers

ac  amps at the pdu and with only one s-9  it will be 4.8 to 5.3 amps
ac volts at the pdu  it will be about 239 to 241
dc volts at  your board with full draw
dc volts at your board on an unused jack
dc volts at the s-9 end

▄▄███████▄▄
▄██████████████▄
▄██████████████████▄
▄████▀▀▀▀███▀▀▀▀█████▄
▄█████████████▄█▀████▄
███████████▄███████████
██████████▄█▀███████████
██████████▀████████████
▀█████▄█▀█████████████▀
▀████▄▄▄▄███▄▄▄▄████▀
▀██████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
.. PLAY NOW ..
Optimizer (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 01, 2016, 05:34:20 PM

@Philipma

-Optim

-Optim

i can give 5 numbers

ac  amps at the pdu and with only one s-9  it will be 4.8 to 5.3 amps
ac volts at the pdu  it will be about 239 to 241
dc volts at  your board with full draw
dc volts at the s-9 end

Awesome.  Those will work.  Would it also be possible to monitor the PSU output voltage under load?  The easiest place to check is on the large connector on the breakout board.

I just talked to my contract manufacturer.  He was able to salvage a single 4k board right now.  I should get it in my hands next week and run some tests.  I don't suppose you want to try this one out in the coming weeks?

-Optim

www.price-technology.com
philipma1957
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 01, 2016, 06:52:27 PM
Last edit: July 01, 2016, 08:27:55 PM by philipma1957

@Philipma

Sick.  Thank you.  I will try that.

-Optim

I have a second pdu so if I run 1 s-9 the pdu meter will be 5.0 to 5.5 amps as my pdu has  only 2 digits.

That's not quite as accurate as I was hoping.  Are you able to measure the voltage at the supply output and at the end of the PCI-e cables?  That is the real number I am looking for tbh, though running a power analyzer as described above is the best system level information.

-Optim

i can give 5 numbers

ac  amps at the pdu and with only one s-9  it will be 4.8 to 5.3 amps
ac volts at the pdu  it will be about 239 to 241
dc volts at  your board with full draw
dc volts at the s-9 end

Awesome.  Those will work.  Would it also be possible to monitor the PSU output voltage under load?  The easiest place to check is on the large connector on the breakout board.

I just talked to my contract manufacturer.  He was able to salvage a single 4k board right now.  I should get it in my hands next week and run some tests.  I don't suppose you want to try this one out in the coming weeks?

-Optim

yes I would like to as i can test it against the other 4k board I have.

I am still waiting on the ups truck but should get the batch 4 s-9 sometime today.

gear is here and it is mining at ck.solo pool
if you look the freq is at 525 the fans are also set low 50%  why did I do this  ..     I am testing in my house  which means my wife will kill me if I set fans to 90%  and try to see if I can go to 625 over clock.
I did run at freq 600 and was close to 12,800gh

As you see the down clock makes 0 errors
and fans set at 50% are okay not nasty bearable
more to come. on volts etc.

pdu reads 5.1 amps

same pdu

2 car garage is filled with new gear for my kitchen remodel pdu is under the british shoe box
spinning to my left i face the back door and the s-9 is vent out the back door and is hidden by a moving blanket.  the sound is okay in my den next to the garage.

▄▄███████▄▄
▄██████████████▄
▄██████████████████▄
▄████▀▀▀▀███▀▀▀▀█████▄
▄█████████████▄█▀████▄
███████████▄███████████
██████████▄█▀███████████
██████████▀████████████
▀█████▄█▀█████████████▀
▀████▄▄▄▄███▄▄▄▄████▀
▀██████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
.. PLAY NOW ..
judypug1956

Activity: 355
Merit: 276

View Profile
July 01, 2016, 08:33:09 PM

So what does it look like under the blanket?  Also  I know you have a sound meter and can give us some sound numbers please.

1956jUdYPFwiBSzt9AECdWj3KE4WV7taiM I can't do 1957philma.. for btc address the i are not allowed This is a secondary account for Philipma1957, don't do business with this account deal with philipma1957
philipma1957
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 01, 2016, 08:38:35 PM
Last edit: July 01, 2016, 09:52:09 PM by philipma1957

dc numbers are:

12.20 volts at the breakout board to psu junction
 12.18 volts at the breakout board pcie jack
 12.11 volts at the s-9 pcie jack

all really good almost no loss of power from psu to s-9 pcie jack

under 1 %  as  12.20/12.11 -1 = 0.00743   this means .99257 of the volts make it intact to the s-9 pcie jacks

now my ac at the wall comes to 1229.1  as I read 5.1 amps at 241 volts

this psu is rated at 92.6 % so  1229.1 watts  x .926 = 1138.14 watts dc and since i am 11,234 gh at the pool  I am just over .1 watts a gh

as 1138.14/11234 = .1013126 watts per gh.   pretty good !

I suspect  you could run good numbers right up to  13th and freq 600 once I get to the solar array on tues we will try  for some other numbers.

I think this batch 4 is not as efficient as my batch 2 but I will need more tests.

one thing is the board passes well as is it more then 99.2% efficient at a 1230 watt load  this means you lose about 10 watts

I need to use infrared gun and will do so .

Sound numbers will come later I am doing photos for now.  one good thing about using these breakout boards with the
 dps1600
 dps2000
 dps2500   you get to pick your cooling fans I use the scythe 38mm fan it is on amazon it moves a lot of air and is not a screamer. so the psus make far less noise then the s-9 miner makes

psu breakout board s-9 venting out the door.

closer shot of miner and open door.  if it was the winter I could lay the miner on its side and vent 4 of them out this door.

shot of the open door for venting this is from above the shelf the  miner is under the shelf and behind the moving blanket.

▄▄███████▄▄
▄██████████████▄
▄██████████████████▄
▄████▀▀▀▀███▀▀▀▀█████▄
▄█████████████▄█▀████▄
███████████▄███████████
██████████▄█▀███████████
██████████▀████████████
▀█████▄█▀█████████████▀
▀████▄▄▄▄███▄▄▄▄████▀
▀██████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
.. PLAY NOW ..
TheYankeesWin!

Activity: 462
Merit: 300

View Profile
July 01, 2016, 10:25:39 PM

Did you find your sound meter?  I would like to know how loud it is at 50% fans.
philipma1957
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 01, 2016, 10:29:50 PM

Yeah just did some sound readings.

1 meter = 69 db with 50% fan speed  but it is not the nasty screamer it is at 90%

2 meter = 65 db

6 meters I am at the entrance to my den  it is 54 db

11 meters I am sitting on the couch in the den ready to watch the HT it is 44db

I was able to get the s-7 as low as 39db on my couch but I had more sound proofing .

Since these are going to the solar array I am happy with the 44db at the couch.

▄▄███████▄▄
▄██████████████▄
▄██████████████████▄
▄████▀▀▀▀███▀▀▀▀█████▄
▄█████████████▄█▀████▄
███████████▄███████████
██████████▄█▀███████████
██████████▀████████████
▀█████▄█▀█████████████▀
▀████▄▄▄▄███▄▄▄▄████▀
▀██████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
.. PLAY NOW ..
Optimizer (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 01, 2016, 10:36:02 PM

It looks like I should place some 6-32 holes on the board for standoff.  I hate to see it hang like that.  On the next rev, I will provide an update!

-Optim

www.price-technology.com
philipma1957
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 01, 2016, 10:40:33 PM

It looks like I should place some 6-32 holes on the board for standoff.  I hate to see it hang like that.  On the next rev, I will provide an update!

-Optim

yeah it would be good to have it.

I can not turn on side since the psu needs  to be cooled . I have some rubber that will do.

the low power loss is very impressive 12.20 volts at junction to 12.11  volts at s-9 pcie jacks.   

▄▄███████▄▄
▄██████████████▄
▄██████████████████▄
▄████▀▀▀▀███▀▀▀▀█████▄
▄█████████████▄█▀████▄
███████████▄███████████
██████████▄█▀███████████
██████████▀████████████
▀█████▄█▀█████████████▀
▀████▄▄▄▄███▄▄▄▄████▀
▀██████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
.. PLAY NOW ..
Optimizer (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 20, 2016, 04:31:30 PM

It looks like I should place some 6-32 holes on the board for standoff.  I hate to see it hang like that.  On the next rev, I will provide an update!

-Optim

I can not turn on side since the psu needs  to be cooled . I have some rubber that will do.

the low power loss is very impressive 12.20 volts at junction to 12.11  volts at s-9 pcie jacks.   

Phil,

How goes testing?  I have finally straightened out part of manufacturing for the 4ks.  My initial testing looks promising.  I will be sending one of these to you as soon as I polish everything off and trust the design.  So far, current sharing looks good and balanced between both supplies around 2500W.

-Optim

www.price-technology.com
MarkAz

View Profile
July 20, 2016, 07:06:20 PM

How goes testing?  I have finally straightened out part of manufacturing for the 4ks.  My initial testing looks promising.  I will be sending one of these to you as soon as I polish everything off and trust the design.  So far, current sharing looks good and balanced between both supplies around 2500W.

Is your 4k board going to be a similar configuration to Jabberwock's board (ie; two PSU's back to back)?  And are you going to have some sort of mounting bracket available?  I don't know if it will matter much for me, as I'm mounting it in a custom case, but if it's available it might be worth considering.

Love your DPS-2000BB boards, BTW - so much higher quality than the other ones I used that I've basically phased out all the others and just use yours exclusively.  Looking forward to the 4k.
philipma1957
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 20, 2016, 08:15:47 PM

-Optim

the low power loss is very impressive 12.20 volts at junction to 12.11  volts at s-9 pcie jacks.  

Phil,

How goes testing?  I have finally straightened out part of manufacturing for the 4ks.  My initial testing looks promising.  I will be sending one of these to you as soon as I polish everything off and trust the design.  So far, current sharing looks good and balanced between both supplies around 2500W.

-Optim

Sweet  I just scored 4 dps-2500 psu's I was going to ask about the 4k board. today.

I also picked up a few cables from  :

Itop https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1535584.0

my goals are to fully compare

your 2k board
your 4k board

j4bberwock's 2k board
j4bberwock's 4k board

using the dps 2500 psu's

Also will compare
your pcie cables
j4bberwock's pcie cables
and Itop's pcie cables.

So in 92 f temps and the solar array stack is 97f  your 2k boards run cooler then j4bberwock's 2k board.

now to be fair to all none of the gear really pushes a psu.

my max watts is 1300 at the meter (ac) on a dps-1600 psu  using your 2k board
I also do  1300 watts at the meter (ac) on a dps-2500 psu   using your 2k board
I also do 2600 watts at the the meter (ac) on a j4bberwock  4k board and 2 dps 2000 psu's
and lastly 1300 watts at the meter (ac) on a j4bberwock 2k board and 1 dps=2000 psu.

on none server psus I do 1200 watts at the meter with a evga 1600 p2 osu.

plain and simple  your pcie cables j4bberwocks cables and Itops cables all seem close enough

But I get better numbers head to head with your board against j4bberwocks.
I drop less voltage and I run cooler.

you can get in to arguments as to which is more cost effective since his is cheaper, but I no longer recommend his for avalon 6's as I have darkened my 4k board and my 2880 board running avalon 6's on j4bberwock boards.
Basically I estimate your boards can do 25 watts more per jack then his boards can do.

I have these 4 psu's waiting for some 4k  boards from you.  they came today

▄▄███████▄▄
▄██████████████▄
▄██████████████████▄
▄████▀▀▀▀███▀▀▀▀█████▄
▄█████████████▄█▀████▄
███████████▄███████████
██████████▄█▀███████████
██████████▀████████████
▀█████▄█▀█████████████▀
▀████▄▄▄▄███▄▄▄▄████▀
▀██████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
.. PLAY NOW ..
Optimizer (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 20, 2016, 09:00:59 PM

Is your 4k board going to be a similar configuration to Jabberwock's board (ie; two PSU's back to back)?  And are you going to have some sort of mounting bracket available?  I don't know if it will matter much for me, as I'm mounting it in a custom case, but if it's available it might be worth considering.

Love your DPS-2000BB boards, BTW - so much higher quality than the other ones I used that I've basically phased out all the others and just use yours exclusively.  Looking forward to the 4k.

The new 4k boards are similar in form factor, though we have added a few mounting holes away from the copper to allow mounting of an in-house or third party rack.  We will be working through all of the board designs first, but if sales are there, we can develop a rack as well.

And I am glad you feel that way.  Smiley

-Optim

www.price-technology.com
Optimizer (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 20, 2016, 09:04:15 PM

@Philipma

I will send you tracking number as soon as I finish.  It may be a week or two, but after I have a fully functional jig, we should be able to pump out higher qunatities.

Glad things are working out.

-Optim

www.price-technology.com
NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

View Profile
July 21, 2016, 12:20:31 AM

Speaking of power. these are -- nice. And pretty damn inexpensive.
https://www.amazon.com/DROK-Digital-Voltmeter-Voltage-Display/dp/B00C2NTJHS/ref=pd_sim_sbs_263_1?ie=UTF8&dpID=41ZGlsOJiyL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&psc=1&refRID=B0AQGXGNXN0KT29NZAD1

good for 3-30VDC.

MarkAz

View Profile
July 21, 2016, 06:16:11 AM

I've used very similar ones in my latest build - although I ordered the ones with a current sensing not voltage:

http://amzn.to/2awo090

Here's what it looks like in action (I used two of them to monitor the 12v and 5v sides of the molex connectors on my GPU build) - and I'm using the DSP-2000BB and Optimizer's board, you can see it up in the upper right.  Wink

philipma1957
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2016, 07:55:01 AM

I may pick a few up.

I can make a setup that tests  volts at the breakout board and at  s-9 input jack

use with this

https://www.amazon.com/Cable-CB-PCIE8-Y-Connectors-Sleeved-PCI-Express-connectors/dp/B005H3IIEA/ref=sr_1_87?

plug into the controller

▄▄███████▄▄
▄██████████████▄
▄██████████████████▄
▄████▀▀▀▀███▀▀▀▀█████▄
▄█████████████▄█▀████▄
███████████▄███████████
██████████▄█▀███████████
██████████▀████████████
▀█████▄█▀█████████████▀
▀████▄▄▄▄███▄▄▄▄████▀
▀██████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
.. PLAY NOW ..
Finksy
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1003

View Profile
July 22, 2016, 12:04:24 AM

I've used very similar ones in my latest build - although I ordered the ones with a current sensing not voltage:

http://amzn.to/2awo090

Here's what it looks like in action (I used two of them to monitor the 12v and 5v sides of the molex connectors on my GPU build) - and I'm using the DSP-2000BB and Optimizer's board, you can see it up in the upper right.  Wink

Mark, your work with acrylic never ceases to amaze. Well done

IBM 2880W PSU Packages: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=966135 IBM 4K PSU Breakout Boards & Packages: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1308296 
Server PSU-powered GPU rig solutions! https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1864539  Wallet address: 1GWQYCv22cAikgTgT1zFuAmsJ9fFqq9TXf 
MarkAz

View Profile
July 22, 2016, 04:21:25 PM

Mark, your work with acrylic never ceases to amaze. Well done

Thanks!  You really can't appreciate the case from that angle - here's a better shot:

I'm pretty close with the design of the case, the one with the amp meters was my v1, this picture is the v2, and I'm finalizing the v3 right now, which will probably be the final design.  It's certainly more expensive than the open-air cases, but it also controls airflow in a radically better way, plus they're completely stackable and can be docked to a plenum like nobodies business.  In the latest version I'm incorporating air straightening and entrainment, which means I'm using 100% of the air where I want it, plus I should be able to achieving system CFM higher than just the fans alone are capable of.

Once it's all nailed down I'll probably make a thread about it's construction and features, for those interested... Wink
sidehack
Legendary

View Profile
July 22, 2016, 04:34:36 PM

Can't wait to see it with cleaner cabling.

philipma1957
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 22, 2016, 06:48:16 PM

Yeah  he needs these cables. Roll Eyes

They are 3 foot long look like 16 gauge and have a nice wrap.

All kidding aside  a very nice build

▄▄███████▄▄
▄██████████████▄
▄██████████████████▄
▄████▀▀▀▀███▀▀▀▀█████▄
▄█████████████▄█▀████▄
███████████▄███████████
██████████▄█▀███████████
██████████▀████████████
▀█████▄█▀█████████████▀
▀████▄▄▄▄███▄▄▄▄████▀
▀██████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
.. PLAY NOW ..
MarkAz

View Profile
July 22, 2016, 11:28:15 PM

heheh, sidehack's saying that because he's making my new cables for me - and don't be surprised if they aren't wrapped nice and clean just like those.  Wink
philipma1957
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 22, 2016, 11:51:24 PM

heheh, sidehack's saying that because he's making my new cables for me - and don't be surprised if they aren't wrapped nice and clean just like those.  Wink

sidehack has made some good one for me.

How are the cards I escrowed for you?

are they in that build?

▄▄███████▄▄
▄██████████████▄
▄██████████████████▄
▄████▀▀▀▀███▀▀▀▀█████▄
▄█████████████▄█▀████▄
███████████▄███████████
██████████▄█▀███████████
██████████▀████████████
▀█████▄█▀█████████████▀
▀████▄▄▄▄███▄▄▄▄████▀
▀██████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
.. PLAY NOW ..
MarkAz

View Profile
July 23, 2016, 08:00:37 AM

sidehack has made some good one for me.

How are the cards I escrowed for you?

are they in that build?

Definitely - sidehack is an exceptional asset to the community, really thankful he's around.  Smiley

Unfortunately those aren't cards you escrowed for me - you did the RX480's for me, and I wish I had 6 of them to put in a rig.    Right now all of my systems are R9 390's, I picked up the RX480's to play with and use with my Oculus Rift, so not all business.  Wink
philipma1957
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 15, 2016, 01:14:24 PM

@Philipma

I will send you tracking number as soon as I finish.  It may be a week or two, but after I have a fully functional jig, we should be able to pump out higher qunatities.

Glad things are working out.

-Optim

any news on the 4k boards?

bitmaintech will be selling batch 10  I think I am getting at least 1 more s-9

I can use a 4k kit.  I have psu's waiting.

So far your two 2k boards are flawless and the power drop is very small on board and cables even with heatwave of Seven 90f+ days.

▄▄███████▄▄
▄██████████████▄
▄██████████████████▄
▄████▀▀▀▀███▀▀▀▀█████▄
▄█████████████▄█▀████▄
███████████▄███████████
██████████▄█▀███████████
██████████▀████████████
▀█████▄█▀█████████████▀
▀████▄▄▄▄███▄▄▄▄████▀
▀██████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
.. PLAY NOW ..
fusion0389

Activity: 324
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 30, 2016, 06:44:43 PM

How do I get some of these breakout boards? Just bought another DPS2000 and could use another breakout board  Grin
philipma1957
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 30, 2016, 07:01:34 PM

How do I get some of these breakout boards? Just bought another DPS2000 and could use another breakout board  Grin

he has a website

http://www.controlteam.com/

▄▄███████▄▄
▄██████████████▄
▄██████████████████▄
▄████▀▀▀▀███▀▀▀▀█████▄
▄█████████████▄█▀████▄
███████████▄███████████
██████████▄█▀███████████
██████████▀████████████
▀█████▄█▀█████████████▀
▀████▄▄▄▄███▄▄▄▄████▀
▀██████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
.. PLAY NOW ..
fusion0389

View Profile
August 30, 2016, 07:33:12 PM

How do I get some of these breakout boards? Just bought another DPS2000 and could use another breakout board  Grin

he has a website

http://www.controlteam.com/

Thats what i was looking for, thank you!
Optimizer (OP)

View Profile WWW
August 30, 2016, 07:58:50 PM

Yes, the website works best for orders.

Thank you Phil!

-Optim

www.price-technology.com
fusion0389

View Profile
August 30, 2016, 08:04:42 PM

Yes, the website works best for orders.

Thank you Phil!

-Optim

Just submitted order 93, excited to get my hands on your new and improved breakout boards!
philipma1957
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 30, 2016, 09:08:24 PM

still looking for the 4k models

▄▄███████▄▄
▄██████████████▄
▄██████████████████▄
▄████▀▀▀▀███▀▀▀▀█████▄
▄█████████████▄█▀████▄
███████████▄███████████
██████████▄█▀███████████
██████████▀████████████
▀█████▄█▀█████████████▀
▀████▄▄▄▄███▄▄▄▄████▀
▀██████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
.. PLAY NOW ..
fusion0389

View Profile
August 30, 2016, 10:53:01 PM

still looking for the 4k models

Interested in some of those too Smiley
fusion0389

View Profile
September 07, 2016, 04:19:12 PM

I received my order in a timely fashion, haven't used the board yet however it definitely feels heavier giving the impression of quality. Now that i've got the PSU ready to go, just need to get another miner!
philipma1957
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 15, 2016, 04:33:49 PM

any news on the four K?

if not I could use a 2k

▄▄███████▄▄
▄██████████████▄
▄██████████████████▄
▄████▀▀▀▀███▀▀▀▀█████▄
▄█████████████▄█▀████▄
███████████▄███████████
██████████▄█▀███████████
██████████▀████████████
▀█████▄█▀█████████████▀
▀████▄▄▄▄███▄▄▄▄████▀
▀██████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
.. PLAY NOW ..
Optimizer (OP)

View Profile WWW
September 15, 2016, 07:02:37 PM

any news on the four K?

if not I could use a 2k

The units have been tested.  Waiting for the OK from a business partner.  Might end up dissolving things to keep things moving at a reasonable pace.  Ah, business...

-Optim

www.price-technology.com
philipma1957
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 16, 2016, 03:07:33 AM

any news on the four K?

if not I could use a 2k

The units have been tested.  Waiting for the OK from a business partner.  Might end up dissolving things to keep things moving at a reasonable pace.  Ah, business...

-Optim

Okay I will wait just a bit and get a 4k

▄▄███████▄▄
▄██████████████▄
▄██████████████████▄
▄████▀▀▀▀███▀▀▀▀█████▄
▄█████████████▄█▀████▄
███████████▄███████████
██████████▄█▀███████████
██████████▀████████████
▀█████▄█▀█████████████▀
▀████▄▄▄▄███▄▄▄▄████▀
▀██████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
.. PLAY NOW ..
Optimizer (OP)

View Profile WWW
September 16, 2016, 05:59:56 PM

any news on the four K?

if not I could use a 2k

-Optim

Ya, once established, these should be worth the wait.

-Optim

www.price-technology.com
fusion0389

View Profile
September 17, 2016, 12:43:43 AM

any news on the four K?

if not I could use a 2k

-Optim

Ya, once established, these should be worth the wait.

-Optim

Oh yeah count me in given they're priced reasonably! The quality of the DPS2000BB board you sent me is top notch!
Optimizer (OP)

View Profile WWW
September 18, 2016, 04:01:34 AM

My aim is always quality and reliability.  Right now the logistics are my main battle.  I'll send out what I can when I'm ready.

Thank you all for the faith.

-Optim

www.price-technology.com
philipma1957
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 02, 2016, 03:03:11 PM

I have my hands on a 4k from Optimizer.

I am doing a funky real world test first

Workers (active during the last 7 days)

Show Details for Invalids:
Worker Name:   Work Diff   :Last Share   Shares   :Diff   :Share Rate   «Elapsed   :Invalid   Block %   :Hash Rate

philipma1957.one   9.493k   6s   18,855   178,990,515   11.22THs   1m 49s   0.117%   0.032%   12.30THs

philipma1957.two2   11.229k   2s   15,888   178,406,352   11.50THs   1m 49s   0.038%   0.032%   12.08THs

philipma1957.6         6.947k   7s   18,030   125,254,410   10.13THs   1m 49s   0.111%   0.022%   8.72THs

philipma1957.7         1.042k   40min   99   103,158   0GHs   1m 49s   1.000%   0.000%   0GHs
philipma1957.4         8.739k   11hrs   6,592   57,607,488   0GHs   1m 49s   0.091%   0.010%   0GHs

Total: 5 (1 miners)   59,464   540,361,923   32.85THs       0.087%   0.096%   33.09THs

I am running two s9's in bold on it 5 boards as the s9  philipma1957.6  has a dead board.

this test is using two  dps-2500 units which can do 2320 watts vs 2000 watts for the dps-2000
I am pulling 9.1 amps at 240 volts = 2241 watts at the ac meter

what make this cool test is I am using 1 dps-2500 the other is unplugged due to a short
read this thread for more info
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1597163.0

this is a good real world test as only one connection on the 4k plate is pulling power and it pulls 2000 plus watts  for 3 days so far with no issues

▄▄███████▄▄
▄██████████████▄
▄██████████████████▄
▄████▀▀▀▀███▀▀▀▀█████▄
▄█████████████▄█▀████▄
███████████▄███████████
██████████▄█▀███████████
██████████▀████████████
▀█████▄█▀█████████████▀
▀████▄▄▄▄███▄▄▄▄████▀
▀██████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
.. PLAY NOW ..
Optimizer (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 03, 2016, 06:40:08 PM

Worker Name:   Work Diff   :Last Share   Shares   :Diff   :Share Rate   «Elapsed   :Invalid   Block %   :Hash Rate

philipma1957.one   9.493k   6s   18,855   178,990,515   11.22THs   1m 49s   0.117%   0.032%   12.30THs

philipma1957.two2   11.229k   2s   15,888   178,406,352   11.50THs   1m 49s   0.038%   0.032%   12.08THs

philipma1957.6         6.947k   7s   18,030   125,254,410   10.13THs   1m 49s   0.111%   0.022%   8.72THs

philipma1957.7         1.042k   40min   99   103,158   0GHs   1m 49s   1.000%   0.000%   0GHs
philipma1957.4         8.739k   11hrs   6,592   57,607,488   0GHs   1m 49s   0.091%   0.010%   0GHs

Total: 5 (1 miners)   59,464   540,361,923   32.85THs       0.087%   0.096%   33.09THs

I am running two s9's in bold on it 5 boards as the s9  philipma1957.6  has a dead board.

this test is using two  dps-2500 units which can do 2320 watts vs 2000 watts for the dps-2000

what make this cool test is I am using 1 dps-2500 the other is unplugged due to a short

this is a good real world test as only one connection on the 4k plate is pulling power and it pulls 2000 plus watts  for 3 days so far with no issues

Awesome let me know how it goes.  I am hoping for positive results!   As soon as I get the 2880W version ready for manufacture, I hope you are able to test.  Otherwise 2k and 4k variants seem to be there for manufacture.

Cheers everyone.

-Optim

www.price-technology.com
philipma1957
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 04, 2016, 03:35:38 AM

Awesome let me know how it goes.  I am hoping for positive results!   As soon as I get the 2880W version ready for manufacture, I hope you are able to test.  Otherwise 2k and 4k variants seem to be there for manufacture.

Cheers everyone.

-Optim

So far it pulled the 2200 plus watts with no issues or hot spots.

Tomorrow I will restructure gear for,more test.

▄▄███████▄▄
▄██████████████▄
▄██████████████████▄
▄████▀▀▀▀███▀▀▀▀█████▄
▄█████████████▄█▀████▄
███████████▄███████████
██████████▄█▀███████████
██████████▀████████████
▀█████▄█▀█████████████▀
▀████▄▄▄▄███▄▄▄▄████▀
▀██████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
.. PLAY NOW ..
dunand

Activity: 637
Merit: 502

View Profile
October 18, 2016, 06:52:41 PM

What is the price for a 4K board?
Optimizer (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 18, 2016, 07:04:55 PM

What is the price for a 4K board?

Dunand,

The dual stage assembly (top and bottom) makes manufacturing very difficult.  I currently have the boards priced at $77 a piece and prices in quantity may be negotiated.

The design has been updated to 4oz copper and the power supplies may now be controlled independently.  Thank the community for their feedback.  Feel free to message me if you have questions.

-Optim

www.price-technology.com
Optimizer (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 25, 2016, 03:54:36 AM

I'm not sure on the details (Novak did the PCBs for PSU boards) but I think it's 3oz outside 4oz inside. Could be 2oz outside 5oz inside. Many vias to help transfer internal heat to the surface. Also, I like overkill.

That's the way to be.  Though that is all pretty useless if you utilize reliefing for manufacturing.  I always found the modt difficult step was manufacturing.  It took me a few months to figure out how to make these boards by the hundreds/thousands.

-Optim

www.price-technology.com
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: