Bitcoin Forum
July 20, 2024, 10:05:08 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Node ping rates during synchronisation  (Read 506 times)
Jet Cash (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2744
Merit: 2464

https://JetCash.com

View Profile WWW
February 22, 2016, 09:21:02 AM

I'm running core 0.11.2 for around 8 hours each day. I've got 8 outbound nodes and no inbound nodes. bandwidth is around 30Kb/s most times. Recently I've noticed that ping rates during synchronisation for about half of the nodes can be in excess of 500,000ms. Once I have synchronised, then all rates seem to drop below 400ms, and are often in double digits. Is this just a coincidence ( it's just an impression, I haven't kept any stats), or do some nodes try to discourage contact from nodes that are synchronising?

Maybe it is just that a high volume of received traffic distorts the ping checking.

Offgrid campers allow you to enjoy life and preserve your health and wealth.
Save old Cars - my project to save old cars from scrapage schemes, and to reduce the sale of new cars.
My new Bitcoin transfer address is - bc1q9gtz8e40en6glgxwk4eujuau2fk5wxrprs6fys
cr1776
Legendary

Activity: 4102
Merit: 1306

View Profile
February 22, 2016, 11:21:59 AM

I'm running core 0.11.2 for around 8 hours each day. I've got 8 outbound nodes and no inbound nodes. bandwidth is around 30Kb/s most times. Recently I've noticed that ping rates during synchronisation for about half of the nodes can be in excess of 500,000ms. Once I have synchronised, then all rates seem to drop below 400ms, and are often in double digits. Is this just a coincidence ( it's just an impression, I haven't kept any stats), or do some nodes try to discourage contact from nodes that are synchronising?

Maybe it is just that a high volume of received traffic distorts the ping checking.

Did you really mean 500,000ms?  e.g. 500 seconds?  If so, that would seem something else is going on.
Jet Cash (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2744
Merit: 2464

https://JetCash.com

View Profile WWW
February 22, 2016, 11:52:37 AM

You're right. I'm on McDonalds WiFi, and ping times are around 600ms at the moment. I guess I should put it down to their network policies and traffic, and nothing to do with Bitcoin. It can take a while to populate the node list at startup.

I guess I should close this thread, and experiment with some other services.

Offgrid campers allow you to enjoy life and preserve your health and wealth.
Save old Cars - my project to save old cars from scrapage schemes, and to reduce the sale of new cars.
My new Bitcoin transfer address is - bc1q9gtz8e40en6glgxwk4eujuau2fk5wxrprs6fys
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: