Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 01:46:10 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Darkwallet: lost coins on browser reset - any solution?  (Read 1639 times)
MulberryPie (OP)

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 22, 2016, 12:11:40 PM

I tried out Darkwallet recently. I have to say I love it - the whole interface and experience really is genius....

However, this particular genius sitting right here - I decided to reset my browser but did not back up Darkwallet.

Anyway, I restored the wallet using the seed, I did at least copy that. Now I have the original addresses in my 'spending' wallet, but not the generated mixing addresses, where all my money went to.

I started by testing out the wallet with 3USD. That was never mixed and is still there. However, I put a bit more in and mixed it - and those addresses that were generated by mixing have gone from the wallet, and the addresses I renamed have gone back to 'unused'.

I can see the transaction in my history, and on Blockchain.info I can see the coins haven't moved from those addresses, so it's not like someone stole them.

How the bejesus do I get them back though??

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
pereira4
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1183

View Profile
February 22, 2016, 01:49:21 PM

You need to know that apparently there was an attack on Darkwallet's webpage that compromised the wallet, or maybe im confused and it was a phishing attack by registering a very similar website. I even remember someone here posing as Amir Taaki creating a thread and pointing people to their fake site. Probably same story as always: trying to steal BTC from noobs.
MulberryPie (OP)

View Profile
February 22, 2016, 02:10:54 PM

Thanks - there is a notice up on the page saying that darkwallet.com got squatted hence they are using darkwallet.is. Would explain why the lack of community support if the whole site got hijacked though...? 

Maybe I'm just pouring more money into the coffers for the scammers  Grin

However, the fact that my bitcoins appear to be sitting at the same address without movement would indicate that they haven't run off with it. On the same note though - I am a n00b, and maybe its a ruse for me to add a decent amount before scarpering!
MulberryPie (OP)

View Profile
February 22, 2016, 02:23:16 PM

Oh I found the 'breadth' option - you have to enable developer mode within Darkwallet. Immediately found 3 more addresses associated with my wallet, which would - I assume - be the remainder of my missing funds. Just gotta let it complete the scan now.
Snorek
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 22, 2016, 02:29:22 PM

From what I know Darkwallet is not even in beta it is still in alpha version (0.8.0). Were you really that eager to test it and put your money on the line?
There are many more good and proven bitcoin wallets on the market. Why don't you pick some wallet listed here: https://bitcoin.org/en/choose-your-wallet
MulberryPie (OP)

View Profile
February 22, 2016, 03:40:18 PM

From what I know Darkwallet is not even in beta it is still in alpha version (0.8.0). Were you really that eager to test it and put your money on the line?
There are many more good and proven bitcoin wallets on the market. Why don't you pick some wallet listed here: https://bitcoin.org/en/choose-your-wallet

Thanks, I do appreciate the list - of course I wouldn't keep the bulk of my funds in there! Like I say, I started with 3 USD and since have put in about 50 USD in various test transactions.

But it's not just a wallet, is it! None of those wallets mentioned on that list use Coinjoin, as far as I'm aware?

If you know of a better (and decentralised) alternative I would definitely like to try it.
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1520

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
February 22, 2016, 05:07:10 PM

Thanks, I do appreciate the list - of course I wouldn't keep the bulk of my funds in there! Like I say, I started with 3 USD and since have put in about 50 USD in various test transactions.

But it's not just a wallet, is it! None of those wallets mentioned on that list use Coinjoin, as far as I'm aware?

If you know of a better (and decentralised) alternative I would definitely like to try it.

Well I hate to suggest blockchain.info, but they are the only wallet (for now) that offer something like that. Yes, its centralized. Yes, they are known for their unreliability. They allow you to access the site via tor (hidden service URL will show up when you connect via tor) and they support CoinJoin.

Instead of betting on DarkWallet which is in alpha since at least a year if not longer, I would check out samourai[1] as they have active devs. They will also share their code once its finished which Mycelium plans to pick up[2].

[1] http://samouraiwallet.com/alpha.html (double check URL please)
https://twitter.com/SamouraiWallet
[2] https://twitter.com/MyceliumCom/status/690603006518267904

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
MulberryPie (OP)

View Profile
February 22, 2016, 06:15:09 PM

Well I hate to suggest blockchain.info, but they are the only wallet (for now) that offer something like that. Yes, its centralized. Yes, they are known for their unreliability. They allow you to access the site via tor (hidden service URL will show up when you connect via tor) and they support CoinJoin.

Instead of betting on DarkWallet which is in alpha since at least a year if not longer, I would check out samourai[1] as they have active devs. They will also share their code once its finished which Mycelium plans to pick up[2].

[1] http://samouraiwallet.com/alpha.html (double check URL please)
https://twitter.com/SamouraiWallet
[2] https://twitter.com/MyceliumCom/status/690603006518267904

These are good suggestions, and I am really grateful for your input. I had no idea that such a big company as blockchain.info would have CoinJoin integrated!

Have been mulling over Samourai for a while - they can be nothing but at least more hands on than Dark Wallet. I really do love the idea of decentralisation though - thats what Bitcoin is meant to be about!
MulberryPie (OP)

View Profile
February 22, 2016, 08:06:02 PM

Not quite sure why mods have deleted some of my posts -

I found this on the now defunct Darkwallet forums: thread title "Restore from seed does not add mixing addresses to balance" -

(note: you must set Darkwallet to developer mode internally first)

Try to scan the seed again, but now change the option Breadth to 4.

The scan tool looks for addresses until 10 consecutive empty addresses are found.
With the pockets it is similar, the scanner will look for 5 consecutive empty pockets.

But the Breadth option is fixed and is not bigger than 4.

Worked for me - got all (well, most of) my coins back.
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 4485

View Profile
February 22, 2016, 11:45:03 PM

Not quite sure why mods have deleted some of my posts -

I found this on the now defunct Darkwallet forums: thread title "Restore from seed does not add mixing addresses to balance" -

(note: you must set Darkwallet to developer mode internally first)

Try to scan the seed again, but now change the option Breadth to 4.

The scan tool looks for addresses until 10 consecutive empty addresses are found.
With the pockets it is similar, the scanner will look for 5 consecutive empty pockets.

But the Breadth option is fixed and is not bigger than 4.

Worked for me - got all (well, most of) my coins back.

the easiest way to think of it is that when you input seed it just reveals address seed1.
you have to make is scan address seed2 address seed3 address seed4 and so on

if you have used more then 10 addresses then just the smallest amount you can into empty address number 9.. then rescan. and that should force it to then scan another 10(totalling 19) instead of just 10

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
MulberryPie (OP)

View Profile
February 23, 2016, 12:41:15 PM

@franky1 - I went back to the last address in my history that is empty (well, I guess technically that would make it the first address in my history) and put 50 cents or so in there, and rescanned. It came out with more address results, but no more funds than were there prior. I'm definitely still short. Am I doing something wrong? I've put the breadth up to 4, and the address and pocket margins up to 20 each.

I keep coming up with 14 addresses no matter what.
MulberryPie (OP)

View Profile
March 03, 2016, 12:48:07 PM

For anyone still interested, I eventually got all my coins back without even trying. I really wish there were more active users and devs of DarkWallet - its just so awesome in concept, just the practice is just unworkable right now. I put in a significant amount of money into it the other day for a further test and left it going all night, but it just never mixed. The odd 50 dollars here and there will join just fine, and quick. But after 12 hours of waiting around for a larger sum to mix I'd had enough and removed my funds.

Am taking the advice of @shorena and going with the more established blockchain.info for now :-/ BitcoinFog isn't even working at all right now, and Samourai would definitely be my first choice if they had desktop support. But hey ho, we learn as we go.

Cheers for the help, chaps.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: