Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 01:22:22 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Mining and the Halving  (Read 4850 times)
LiberOptions (OP)

Activity: 412
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 23, 2016, 03:54:58 AM

What do you think it will be the impact of the halving on mining?
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
BTCBinary

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 23, 2016, 03:56:52 AM

Mining will continue as it is after the halving.
The only thing that will happen is that the mining hardware will become nearly obsolete and new hardware will come to take its place.
It has been going on like this since GPU MININg
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
February 23, 2016, 07:31:14 AM
Last edit: February 24, 2016, 07:31:54 AM by Amph

new asic will emerge the diff will keep climbing, maybe a minor slowdown initially, but in the end the diff always climb, just look at the charts

weaker miner(in terms of electricity) will stop mining, and stronger miners, will add more hash
SFR10
Legendary

Activity: 2996
Merit: 3421

Crypto Swap Exchange

View Profile WWW
February 23, 2016, 09:34:01 AM

Aside from the obvious half reward as opposed to now, there will be a phase wherein the total of hash used would be less than now mainly due to the owners switching off their miners and then the next phase would be the time when better (stronger) and cheaper (efficient) miners come to market and that's when we could see a rise on total hash power used for mining again.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 23, 2016, 04:47:33 PM

From january 13 we almost haved due to difficulty:

Feb 19 2016    163,491,654,909    13.44%    1,170,318,852 GH/s
Feb 07 2016    144,116,447,847    20.06%    1,031,625,717 GH/s
Jan 26 2016    120,033,340,651    5.89%    859,232,121 GH/s
Jan 13 2016    113,354,299,801    9.12%    811,421,684 GH/s

Were talking like 48 percent chance since Jan 13.   I am not sure having will have as big as change as I thought it would.  At least not at first.   I predict more slow upwards (hopefullly).  But there is no way to say for sure.  Also having is known it is not sneaking up on us so investors should know about it before and base investments knowing it's coming.
Catlonid

Activity: 190
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 23, 2016, 07:36:11 PM

new asic will emerge the diff will keep climbing, maybe a minor slowdown initially, but in the end the diff always climb, just the the charts

weaker miner(in terms of electricity) will stop mining, and stronger miners, will add more hash

The happened before during the last mining. As long as the miners add more efficient miners, the difficulty will rise.
cooldgamer
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1003

We are the champions of the night

View Profile WWW
February 23, 2016, 08:57:31 PM

I think there's going to be a huge dropoff in miners as the ability to run a profit seems to disappear into thin air.  As all the smaller miners get out of the game, the hashrate will go down or at least stutter as more efficient miners are made, until it's feasable to make a profit with the miners being put out...  then it starts all over again

Amph
Legendary

View Profile
February 24, 2016, 07:33:00 AM
Last edit: February 25, 2016, 07:15:42 AM by Amph

new asic will emerge the diff will keep climbing, maybe a minor slowdown initially, but in the end the diff always climb, just the the charts

The happened before during the last mining. As long as the miners add more efficient miners, the difficulty will rise.

the diff always increase, you need to look at the whole picture, right now the diff follow the price and the price always increase by average each year, or by absolute average since bitcoin was created

the same for the diff, it is always increase by average each year
Remainder

Activity: 950
Merit: 517

View Profile
February 24, 2016, 11:06:39 AM

the diff always increase, you need to look at the whole picture, right now the diff follow the price and the price always increase by average each year, or by absolute average since bitcoin was created

teh same for the diff, it is always increase by average each year

I think the efficiency of the ASIC will reach peak this or next year. The miners will compete with the cheap electricity.
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
February 24, 2016, 04:40:58 PM

I think the efficiency of the ASIC will reach peak this or next year. The miners will compete with the cheap electricity.

I don't think it will peak.... if it does that is not good.  That would mean companies are not investing in R/D which would mean profits for big companies don't look great.  Which means us little guy's even worse.

I feel we will continue to see improvements in gear 14nm heck it's a game changer and were pretty close to seeing it I think... bw has one being sold right now but higher specs then fined tuned one they talked about on site.   So gear is only going to get better.
leowonderful
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1129

Bitcoin FTW!

View Profile
February 24, 2016, 10:04:26 PM

We're mining ourselves to oblivion.Even when quantum computing comes out, it wont be much help as algorithms like sha256 just dont work as well. Efficiency will eventually peak and we'll start seeing a transition from regular mining to solar and wind powered mining. Efficiency will peak eventually and when that happens, we'll start turning to "free" power sources and hashrate will be all over the place.
swagkiller69

Activity: 33
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 24, 2016, 10:05:40 PM

I think we'll continue the same way technology always has, more powerful miners will come out and the system will continue as normal
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
February 25, 2016, 02:48:30 AM

We're mining ourselves to oblivion.Even when quantum computing comes out, it wont be much help as algorithms like sha256 just dont work as well. Efficiency will eventually peak and we'll start seeing a transition from regular mining to solar and wind powered mining. Efficiency will peak eventually and when that happens, we'll start turning to "free" power sources and hashrate will be all over the place.

I don't think were going to hit quantum computers in near future on mining.  Asics do one thing great... they are designed for this.  They will continue to be lower NM and perfect the lower NM.   It just makes sense.

Free power is kinda a different thing as they don't need the latest and greatest.  The newest gear traditionally is in a place that pay's a little bit for gear.  If you have a few cent electricity.... you are lucky and can profit on older gear.
Laviathon

Activity: 481
Merit: 264

BCMonster.com BTC ZEN HUSH KMD ARRR VRSC ACH RFOX

View Profile WWW
February 25, 2016, 04:18:21 AM

I think there is a possibility that the halving will increase the value.

BCMonster.com BTC, KMD, ZEN, HUSH, RFox, ARRR, ACH, VRSC <cpu> -   /  Easy Live Dashboards   / Looking for Miners! Join our Discord
Amph
Legendary

View Profile
February 25, 2016, 07:16:53 AM

we are still at 14nm for silicon and there is room in theory to go as low as 7nm, so no, i think there is still improvement to be made, and in the end they will use something else other than silicon for better efficiency in the future
Zinkin

Activity: 101
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 25, 2016, 11:02:16 AM

If the price does not increase after the halving, some less efficient miners will be out of the market. But the hash rate will not decrease due to the more efficient miners.
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
February 25, 2016, 09:07:15 PM

If the price does not increase after the halving, some less efficient miners will be out of the market. But the hash rate will not decrease due to the more efficient miners.

The way difficulty was moving it was already doing this to normal electricity priced people.   Difficulty made it hard for last generation gear, I was better off selling it then mining.  So I did sell last gen miners.

I think you will be surprised on amount of miners that will sell at least last gen before having.  And it's not like having is sneaking up on us we know it's coming.   So many factor this in ROI charts.
greenuser

Activity: 364

Marie Curie, 2 x Nobel Prizes Physics & Chemistry

View Profile
February 27, 2016, 04:23:49 AM
Last edit: February 27, 2016, 06:16:41 AM by greenuser

I don't care how worthless Bitcoin becomes, I'm not shutting down my mine.  Its the only heating i have.

Anything that makes it more difficult to obtain can only be a good thing for Bitcoin.

It will not die.  How would criminals launder their money?  It could destroy the international elicit narcotics market?  One of the few growth areas in our global economy.  Plus, how would Wiki Leaks get paid for publishing American Security Secrets?

No, It will continue to grow.  This is Global Insurrection Against Banker Occupation and you good people are party to it all.  It canot be stoped.  Within the next 3 years Bitcoin will be the reserve currency and we will see the dollor fall from its reserve status, just like the pound did.

They killed Gaddafi because he was about to get an Islamic Gold Dinar off the gorund and the arrab world was about to adotp it in place of the dollor.  Gaddafi Gold for Oil Project.

No, this time Bitcoin will be unstopable. Well,  who would they Bomb this time, everyone with a bitcoin miner?

notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
February 27, 2016, 06:14:59 AM

I don't care how worthless Bitcoin becomes, I'm not shutting down my mine.  Its the only heating i have.

Anything that makes it more difficult to obtain can only be a good thing for Bitcoin.

It will not die.  How would criminals launder their money?  It could destroy the international elicit narcotics market?  One of the few growth areas in our global economy.  Plus, how would Wiki Leaks get paid for publishing American Security Secrets?

No, It will continue to grow.  This is Global Insurrection Against Banker Occupation and you good people are party to it all.  It canot be stoped.  Within the next 3 years Bitcoin will be the reserve currency and we will see the dollor fall from its reserve status, just like the pound did.

They killed Gaddafi because he was about to get an Islamic Gold Dinar off the gorund and the arrab world was about to adotp it in place of the dollor.  Gaddafi Gold for Oil Project.

No, this time Bitcon will be unstopable. Well,  who would they Bomb this time, everyone with a bitcoin miner?

What does any of this have to do with having or mining? 

You seem to bring up a lot of reasons not to have BTC... money laundering, conspiracies. I think this is more off topic then speculation.
greenuser

Activity: 364

Marie Curie, 2 x Nobel Prizes Physics & Chemistry

View Profile
February 27, 2016, 06:25:43 AM

No, you dont understand.  Bitcoin is secure regardless of the halving.  It can only go up.
I support it because it is an anonymous currency.  The governments of the world want rid of cash and want money all electronic so it can all be accounted for. So they can have controll. I love Bitcoin for what it has done for the worlds markets.

If you wanted to buy crack, would you want to pay with paypal or Bitcoin?

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: