Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 12:37:14 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Stopping gift card money laundering  (Read 5934 times)
james.lent

Activity: 602
Merit: 501

View Profile
February 25, 2016, 02:29:29 AM

Why dont you guys do your research?
There are apps that pay you in giftcards for downloading other apps
Do some research before next question

I think you should do yours. With the amount they're selling you would need an army to earn that much from apps. Stop being naive.
Stop being an idiot, anyone with a relatively small amount of investment can buy about 50 vps in bulk, install an android emulator and run their method in mass
Not everyone is narrow minded and wont go the extra mile to make a decent amount of money

When you are from certain countries, you have to go the extra mile when making money online, you wouldn't know

Dude, listen to yourself. Even with 50 emulators it would be impossible. You practically earn cents from each downloaded app, also keep in mind that you have to run multiple emulators on one machine and then you got to run hundreds of those, almost botnet like. Seemingly impossible. Those cards are for high amounts. No downloaded app gives you $100 voucher. Accept the fact that those cards are obtained illegitimately. As your handle states, "Your Point Is Invalid" .

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Your Point Is Invalid

Activity: 756
Merit: 510

Dear me, I think I'm becoming a god

View Profile WWW
February 25, 2016, 02:34:36 AM

I think you should do yours. With the amount they're selling you would need an army to earn that much from apps. Stop being naive.
Stop being an idiot, anyone with a relatively small amount of investment can buy about 50 vps in bulk, install an android emulator and run their method in mass
Not everyone is narrow minded and wont go the extra mile to make a decent amount of money

When you are from certain countries, you have to go the extra mile when making money online, you wouldn't know

Dude, listen to yourself. Even with 50 emulators it would be impossible. You practically earn cents from each downloaded app, also keep in mind that you have to run multiple emulators on one machine and then you got to run hundreds of those, almost botnet like. Seemingly impossible. Those cards are for high amounts. No downloaded app gives you $100 voucher. Accept the fact that those cards are obtained illegitimately. As your handle states, "Your Point Is Invalid" .
You are adapting the american attitude of - If it seems unfeasible, it probably is
Why do you have to runn all the emulators on one machine? do you understand my post? let me make it clearer

Buy 50 vps, install emulators on each vps, run the program, if you keep at this for hours a day then getting these cards would be easy
You are right, no downloaded app gives you $100 voucher, it all comes down to hard work and dedication

What evidence do you have?

james.lent

Activity: 602
Merit: 501

View Profile
February 25, 2016, 02:40:37 AM

You are adapting the american attitude of - If it seems unfeasible, it probably is
Why do you have to runn all the emulators on one machine? do you understand my post? let me make it clearer

Buy 50 vps, install emulators on each vps, run the program, if you keep at this for hours a day then getting these cards would be easy
You are right, no downloaded app gives you $100 voucher, it all comes down to hard work and dedication

Read back my post, you need hundreds of VPS , not only that, you would also need hundreds of email accounts as 1 email is linked to 1 play store account(assuming he's using playstore), and definitely a redemption(if it exist) would only allow once per account. Processes would also need to be automated ie botting. Highly unlikely that this is the method used as they are doing bulk sales not a one time small deal.

If it's a one time thing then people would understand, but selling in bulk and also you can request for other cards? Doesn't that show you something ?
Quickseller
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2870
Merit: 2298

View Profile
February 25, 2016, 02:42:33 AM

I generally agree with you Quickseller. Of course this is not exact science, but the "benefit of the doubt" has exonerated too many untrustworthy users here.

*There are a number of examples of when I may have a gift card that I am willing to sell a gift card for less then face value that does not involve any kind of fraud/money laundering:
  • I received a $50 Amazon Gift card from my Aunt/Uncle/ect. for Christmas/my Birthday/ect.
  • I just purchased $x thousand dollars worth of appliances/supplies from Home Depot for a new patio and was given a $500 Home Depot gift card to entice me to come back for my next project
  • As an incentive for me renewing my contract with AT&T, I was given a $100 gift card to Target
  • I participated in a promotion at Walmart in which I receive a $25 Gift card after spending $x dollars in one trip
  • ect.
None of these examples covers having a seemingly unlimited supply of several kind of cards. As I said on OP that's a big red flag. anonymous22 is selling 14 kinds of cards and offers to get a lot of others too. It's very hard to believe they are obtained by legal means.

I've applied my best judgement here and of course I could be wrong. Fortunately removing a feedback is even easier than adding it. I've asked him to prove the origin of their cards to any very trusted user asking him not to disclose the method itself. I added the negative trust only after he refused. However the offer is still opened and I'll remove the feedback as soon as a very trusted member confirms the method is legal.

I am not able to vouch for any Gift Card sellers, however I don't think that anonymous22 is laundering money via Gift Cards.
We disagree on this point but I recognize I can't be 100% sure. But he, you and everyone else must recognize how easy it would be for him to prove he's not doing anything wrong, right?

Like I said, it is possible that he is buying gift cards from a website (or other reputable source). Doing a google search for "buy gift cards cheap" comes back with the first result being "Buy Gift Cards: 83,831 Discount Gift Cards - Save up to 35%" I would find someone who is claiming to be able to sell large amounts of gift cards at one time to be more suspicious, as I would think it would be more difficult to get $500 worth of 1-800-flowers gift cards at one time (obtained legitimately), while someone buying on one of these kinds of sites might be able to get a single ~$50 gift card for any random store every week.

I am not 100% sure either. I have a $50 gift card from him from over a year ago that I have not had a chance to use that I just checked the balance on and it still has $50 on it.

I don't think I would consider your offer to be unfair, nor unreasonable. 

anonymous22 has a shady past. He was reselling bad cards and made a fuss over refunding Negative feedback was removed as he paid back. I'm 99% sure his cards are fraudulently obtained and he will troll you with the I didn't nothing wrong as I'm just reselling excuse.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=729896.0
I was not aware of this. It looks like this was regarding Starbucks GC, which are known for being a money launder's heaven. I might be less willing to believe he is legit in light of this information/thread.
whywefight
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1042

www.explorerz.top

View Profile
February 25, 2016, 02:43:09 AM

So it should be possible to proof all is legit to a trusted user. I dont see it happen

Quickseller
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2870
Merit: 2298

View Profile
February 25, 2016, 02:45:08 AM

This sounds like something that tspacepilot would do lol. Are you tspacepilot?
Your Point Is Invalid

View Profile WWW
February 25, 2016, 02:56:07 AM

So it should be possible to proof all is legit to a trusted user. I dont see it happen
May you suggest a trusted member, up to a few months ago quickseller was a good trusted member, so was that other escrow and then there was escrow.ms who was trusted up to a few days ago

If i had a method, i wouldnt release it, not because some people are forcing me to because of their trust ratings and their position on DT, the coordinated trust ratings by you and your set of friends is nothing short of disgusting

Also, why did you avoid the question?
I will ask again,

MisterMiyagi

Activity: 26
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 25, 2016, 10:18:03 AM

So this is where it all started.Genius Plan.DT member forms a group publicly and attack innocent victims.You know what is common in all such jobless posters ? Their knowledge about bitcoins.

Again,add only Bitcoin experts to the Trust Networks.
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
February 25, 2016, 10:21:56 AM

Knowledge does not necessarily have to do anything with trust. I don't see the system properly functioning in that way, nor do I see 'Bitcoin experts' wasting their time with trust ratings.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
MisterMiyagi

Activity: 26
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 25, 2016, 10:28:14 AM

Knowledge does not necessarily have to do anything with trust. I don't see the system properly functioning in that way, nor do I see 'Bitcoin experts' wasting their time with trust ratings.
Because we have passed the authority to noobs who don't understand what are they doing and why they're doing it.If a seller wants to get rid of Giftcards let them be,they have buyers to purchase who really don't care how it comes from.Why a third party has to interfere without being asked to ?

I know Bitcoin experts won't be interested in such a ambiguous system.The point was, add people with Brains to the Network .
Jet Cash
Legendary

Activity: 2702
Merit: 2456

https://JetCash.com

View Profile WWW
February 25, 2016, 10:37:09 AM

Anything that restricts the sale of stolen, counterfeit or goods obtained by fraud or deception is good.

Offgrid campers allow you to enjoy life and preserve your health and wealth.
Save old Cars - my project to save old cars from scrapage schemes, and to reduce the sale of new cars.
My new Bitcoin transfer address is - bc1q9gtz8e40en6glgxwk4eujuau2fk5wxrprs6fys
minifrij
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1267

In Memory of Zepher

View Profile WWW
February 25, 2016, 10:47:48 AM

If a seller wants to get rid of Giftcards let them be,they have buyers to purchase who really don't care how it comes from.
The problem isn't that people want to buy carded gift cards. The problem is that people are buying these gift cards believing they are legit, using them and are then running into problems when these cards are found to be illegitimate. The people selling this lose nothing from this, however the people buying them not fully understanding what they are getting into have the possibility of having their account on the service which the gift card corresponds to closed.

Why a third party has to interfere without being asked to ?
People are greedy and ignorant. Unless people specifically say that there will be repercussions to using stolen gift cards, people will buy them simply because they see '70% DISCOUNT'.

The point was, add people with Brains to the Network .
"I don't understand the problem with selling illegal goods, so I'm going to insult everyone that does". If you dislike the people in the default trust network then remove them from your trust list.
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
February 25, 2016, 11:30:50 AM

-snip-
"I don't understand the problem with selling illegal goods, so I'm going to insult everyone that does". If you dislike the people in the default trust network then remove them from your trust list.
You don't have to waste much of your time on this person, and actually you shouldn't. This is a new account used to complain about DT and now about people wanting to stop trades of illegal goods. It is quite probable that he's among the sellers whose threads got removed/got banned.

Anything that restricts the sale of stolen, counterfeit or goods obtained by fraud or deception is good.
Besides, trading of illegal goods is forbidden also by the rules of this forum.

This sounds like something that tspacepilot would do lol. Are you tspacepilot?
Please no.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
Your Point Is Invalid

View Profile WWW
February 25, 2016, 12:25:42 PM

If a seller wants to get rid of Giftcards let them be,they have buyers to purchase who really don't care how it comes from.
1. The problem isn't that people want to buy carded gift cards. The problem is that people are buying these gift cards believing they are legit, using them and are then running into problems when these cards are found to be illegitimate. The people selling this lose nothing from this, however the people buying them not fully understanding what they are getting into have the possibility of having their account on the service which the gift card corresponds to closed.

2. People are greedy and ignorant. Unless people specifically say that there will be repercussions to using stolen gift cards, people will buy them simply because they see '70% DISCOUNT'.

3. "I don't understand the problem with selling illegal goods, so I'm going to insult everyone that does". If you dislike the people in the default trust network then remove them from your trust list.

1. Any evidence that they arent legit, i agree that in some cases where people are offering 70% discounts the cards are probably carded but in the case of anonymous22, people can easily sell giftcards at those discounts

2. Agreed

3. But do you throw around these accusations without proof? (like the hatesquad)

whywefight
Legendary

www.explorerz.top

View Profile
February 25, 2016, 01:00:19 PM

1. The problem isn't that people want to buy carded gift cards. The problem is that people are buying these gift cards believing they are legit, using them and are then running into problems when these cards are found to be illegitimate. The people selling this lose nothing from this, however the people buying them not fully understanding what they are getting into have the possibility of having their account on the service which the gift card corresponds to closed.

2. People are greedy and ignorant. Unless people specifically say that there will be repercussions to using stolen gift cards, people will buy them simply because they see '70% DISCOUNT'.

3. "I don't understand the problem with selling illegal goods, so I'm going to insult everyone that does". If you dislike the people in the default trust network then remove them from your trust list.

1. Any evidence that they arent legit, i agree that in some cases where people are offering 70% discounts the cards are probably carded but in the case of anonymous22, people can easily sell giftcards at those discounts

2. Agreed

3. But do you throw around these accusations without proof? (like the hatesquad)

Selling a gc with 50% off or more is not legit. You wouldnt sell me your brand new smartphone at a rate like thia just because you dont want to use it.

Selling a netflix acc for 2$ account is not legit if the price for it is officially much higher.

When it comes to my feedbacks i leave a reference so people can look up why i left a feedback and decide if its usefull or not. I am trying to get rock solid proofs, when i get them i report those threads.

We are not talking about people selling like 3 gcs they got on christmas and they dont want it. We are talking about people bulk selling cards for rates that are off the limits. Have a look on legit sites that sell those cards you wont find rates like this there. For a reason.

Saying you must have contributed to bitcoin or the network to be able to leave usefull ratings is like saying you need to contribute to the development of the worldwideweb in order to use it.

If everything is so cheesy, why do we have a scam accusation section. All made up?

Your Point Is Invalid

View Profile WWW
February 25, 2016, 01:09:02 PM

2. Agreed

1. Selling a gc with 50% off or more is not legit. You wouldnt sell me your brand new smartphone at a rate like thia just because you dont want to use it.

Selling a netflix acc for 2$ account is not legit if the price for it is officially much higher.

2. When it comes to my feedbacks i leave a reference so people can look up why i left a feedback and decide if its usefull or not. I am trying to get rock solid proofs, when i get them i report thise threads.

We are not talking about people selling like 3 gcs they got on christmas and they dont want it. We are talking about people bulk selling cards for rates that are off the limits. Have a look on legit sites that sell those cards you wont find rates like this there. For a reason.

1. If you have no use for the giftcard and want to get it off your hnds quickly then 50% is better than nothing
2. I doubt you are trying to get any rock solid proof, how about you change the rating to neutral untill you get the proof that you need, you should only leave negative feedback and the fact that you are asking for evidence makes it obvious that you you arent sure.

I just dont understand how you guys do stuff like this, you spoil the guy's reputation and none of you are sure, even OP clearly has doubts about his feedback, you guys should change the feedback to neutral until you have evidence.

People are innocent until proven guilty
How do you expect the shoot first ask questions later approach to work if the person you shot is dead

minifrij
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1267

In Memory of Zepher

View Profile WWW
February 25, 2016, 01:16:26 PM

Any evidence that they arent legit
No, however it is not needed. As I said in another thread, the 'innocent until proven guilty' mantra doesn't work on this forum. All it takes is one successful con by someone to have the buyer down $100 with nothing in return. Personally, I think any steps against this are steps in the right direction.

I'll also reply to this since it's on a similar topic:
How do you expect the shoot first ask questions later approach to work if the person you shot is dead
This is over exaggerating. Negative trust does not label an account as dead, and things similar to this can easily be worked out so long as some sort of reform takes place which the DT member can see. My account was tagged previously, I would not consider it to be dead by any stretch of the word.

But do you throw around these accusations without proof? (like the hatesquad)
I don't, but I can understand why some do.

Your Point Is Invalid

View Profile WWW
February 25, 2016, 01:32:54 PM

Any evidence that they arent legit
No, however it is not needed. As I said in another thread, the 'innocent until proven guilty' mantra doesn't work on this forum. All it takes is one successful con by someone to have the buyer down $100 with nothing in return. Personally, I think any steps against this are steps in the right direction.

I'll also reply to this since it's on a similar topic:
This is over exaggerating. Negative trust does not label an account as dead, and things similar to this can easily be worked out so long as some sort of reform takes place which the DT member can see. My account was tagged previously, I would not consider it to be dead by any stretch of the word.

But do you throw around these accusations without proof? (like the hatesquad)
I don't, but I can understand why some do.

ok, so all you are saying is that there is no evidence and no evidence is needed
lol, this forum makes a mockery of bitcoin, it as centralized as the government

I cant believe a member like you is saying that no evidence is needed, I chuckle just thinking about it

whywefight
Legendary

www.explorerz.top

View Profile
February 25, 2016, 01:37:11 PM

2. Agreed

1. Selling a gc with 50% off or more is not legit. You wouldnt sell me your brand new smartphone at a rate like thia just because you dont want to use it.

2. When it comes to my feedbacks i leave a reference so people can look up why i left a feedback and decide if its usefull or not. I am trying to get rock solid proofs, when i get them i report thise threads.

1. If you have no use for the giftcard and want to get it off your hnds quickly then 50% is better than nothing
2. I doubt you are trying to get any rock solid proof, how about you change the rating to neutral untill you get the proof that you need, you should only leave negative feedback and the fact that you are asking for evidence makes it obvious that you you arent sure.

I just dont understand how you guys do stuff like this, you spoil the guy's reputation and none of you are sure, even OP clearly has doubts about his feedback, you guys should change the feedback to neutral until you have evidence.

3. People are innocent until proven guilty

1. No one, absolutly no one has GCs lying around in high number he dont use. Did you read i stated i understand it when it comes to a few?
2. I do, because i want the threads removed. To get them removed i need proof. Until i got it, i leave a feedback to warn others. I decided to do so after a few sellers finally did scmas while i was looking after them.
The negative trust is described by: Negative - You were scammed or you strongly believe that this person is a scammer. and personal i strongly belive those sellers are scamers. Therefor i use the system by the way it was designed. If you give me a tool to use, dont complain when i use it.
3. This is not the real world where you end up in jail. -ve'ing throw away accounts that will vanish sooner or later anyways doesnt kill people. They will simply open up a new account. Again, if all is cool just proof it. Like i state in the thread linked in my sig, i review my feedbacks and i follow people after -veing.

Last but not least, i am not on DT anyways. Most people will see my feedback as untrusted and they can add me to their list with ~whywefight. In addition they can ignore all my posts. The forum has a feature for it.

Your Point Is Invalid

View Profile WWW
February 25, 2016, 01:52:41 PM

2. Agreed

3. People are innocent until proven guilty

1. No one, absolutly no one has GCs lying around in high number he dont use. Did you read i stated i understand it when it comes to a few?
2. I do, because i want the threads removed. To get them removed i need proof. Until i got it, i leave a feedback to warn others. I decided to do so after a few sellers finally did scmas while i was looking after them.
The negative trust is described by: Negative - You were scammed or you strongly believe that this person is a scammer. and personal i strongly belive those sellers are scamers. Therefor i use the system by the way it was designed. If you give me a tool to use, dont complain when i use it.
3. This is not the real world where you end up in jail. -ve'ing throw away accounts that will vanish sooner or later anyways doesnt kill people. They will simply open up a new account. Again, if all is cool just proof it. Like i state in the thread linked in my sig, i review my feedbacks and i follow people after -veing.

Last but not least, i am not on DT anyways. Most people will see my feedback as untrusted and they can add me to their list with ~whywefight. In addition they can ignore all my posts. The forum has a feature for it.

1. How do you know this? what country are you from?

2. Who did he scam? or are you leaving negative rep because his cards are discounted?

3. If you get negative rep here your account is worthless and people do nothing about it, thats why i trade on other forums where people care and look into things

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: