Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 05:21:15 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Require a registration fee for the Bitcoin Forum?  (Read 3609 times)
TraderTimm
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1121

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 02:22:35 AM

I'd like a way to hide/ignore threads I'm not interested in. Is this possible with the current forum software?

Either that, or I have to write my own greasemonkey script or something.

fortitudinem multis - catenum regit omnia

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Astro (OP)

Activity: 284
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 02:23:55 AM

No.  Don't moderate.  We can expose the trolls.  We can help the Noobs by holding their hand when they need it most.  Yes we can.  We can mock the Fudders.  We can do this ourselves without assistance from any modulators.

Bring the trolls on.  Prepare for battle.

What part of the internet have you been on that makes you think mocking trolls makes them go away?  I'm talking about a problem of sheer volume.  They will come faster than you can intellectually defeat them, meanwhile, legitimate interested parties will come and see a forum filled with nonsense and it will scare them away.  This forum is starting to look like a place where kids hang out.  It should look like a place where financial professionals and on-line retailers would  feel comfortable.
Anonymous

June 09, 2011, 02:27:04 AM

http://witcoin.com

Its not the bitcoin forum but it does have bitcoin micropayments to post. It also has a free section where only voting up costs so you could conceivably make great free posts and earn enough to post elsewhere.

gongcheng

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 02:55:52 AM

Bad idea!!!

Quote "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

Terpie

Activity: 174
Merit: 101

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 03:22:58 AM

Great idea. You can have free forums as well. Stop with this 'open source, ideologically pure, non-hierarchal' BS. We need a place that creates a small barrier to entry otherwise you end up with spam, trolls, and noise that drowns out reasonable, informed, and invested opinions. You can keep a free forum as well so you can engage in noobs, trolls, and spammers all day long. I've seen this model work well with college sports recruiting boards, and it honestly raises the level of conversation ten-fold. You can still have it readable to everyone as well. Perhaps make it fee-based and/or post count based. It NEEDS to happen.
Astro (OP)

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 04:09:01 AM

The irony here is that some of the boards that have decided to invade us, Something Awful being the most obvious, are paid boards.  They long ago got rid of their trolls by heavy handed moderation and charging $10 for an account.
andrew_jacksun

Activity: 24
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 04:32:59 AM

dear OP, bitcoin is uncontrollable and works as currency or barter.
this is exactly what the NWO illuminati central banking reptilians have destroyed entire countries to prohibit.

everyone on this forum doing any tiny thing to regulate or change the system is infact a troll for the bitches i previously mentioned. i'll give you one example http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=13758.0;all

regulation is always passed in the most peaceful of reasons, usually because of some bad the elitists themselves propagate
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5194
Merit: 12983

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 04:36:50 AM

Scientician, ocharry, and datguywhowanders have never reported a post. Mintaka has only ever reported one. Don't just complain: report the posts!

I am not opposed to the idea of a paid section, though I wouldn't want most of the forum to be non-free.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
Jaime Frontero

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 04:52:09 AM

the best moderated site on the internet - without a doubt in my mind - is DailyKos.

it is almost entirely self-moderating.

posts and comments have a (more or less - actually, it's called mojo) 'like' button, and there is a 'TR' (Troll Rate) button as well.  if enough of your comments have been given mojo, at some point you earn the right to Troll Rate other users.  if a user gets enough TRs on a comment, the comment is hidden from the forum.  high-mojo users can see hidden comments, but nobody else can.  one or two TR ratings usually summons a moderator.

it's a little more involved than that - but it works very well.  people are allowed to make fools of themselves, but for long if they refuse to adhere to the rules of civilized and honest discourse.

i would urge the mods here to take a look at it.
Insti

Activity: 294
Merit: 252

Firstbits: 1duzy

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 04:52:45 AM

Its not the bitcoin forum but it does have bitcoin micropayments to post. It also has a free section where only voting up costs so you could conceivably make great free posts and earn enough to post elsewhere.

+1
Scientician!

Activity: 42

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 04:56:47 AM

Scientician, ocharry, and datguywhowanders have never reported a post. Mintaka has only ever reported one. Don't just complain: report the posts!

I am not opposed to the idea of a paid section, though I wouldn't want most of the forum to be non-free.

Very fair criticism - I myself am very new.

After realizing that my personal support for a pay model was a knee-jerk reaction to a litany of spam threads in short succession, I think an open forum with strong moderation by both forum citizens and moderators is the right answer.

Scientician!

Activity: 42

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 04:59:51 AM

+1

We can already donate micropayments to whoever we please. Automating this by any means will result in someone gaming said system, one way, or another.

Voting up comments for Reputation points is a better system, IMHO. Leave ฿ out of it..
Astro (OP)

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 05:01:21 AM

I've tried to report many, but several times I got an error that said "Board did not exist."  I imagine other people saw the same thing.
DATA COMMANDER

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 06:38:38 AM

I posted a thread about using Bitcoin to moderate the Bitcoin Forum, but I just got flamed.

Tips are appreciated (very tiny tips are perfectly okay!) 13gDRynPfLH3NNAz3nVyU3k3mYVcfeiQuF
JSON

Activity: 156

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 07:37:20 AM

It would be nice to stop hearing from the "Bitcoin is going to die because the encryption will be broken tomorrow/GoogleCoin/government banning it people" for a while.
em3rgentOrdr

Activity: 434
Merit: 251

youtube.com/ericfontainejazz now accepts bitcoin

View Profile WWW
June 09, 2011, 03:21:50 PM

+1.  Yes.  I wish these Noob trolls who come in asking to moderate the forums would actually put their money where their mouth is and report trollerific posts.

Very fair criticism - I myself am very new.

After realizing that my personal support for a pay model was a knee-jerk reaction to a litany of spam threads in short succession, I think an open forum with strong moderation by both forum citizens and moderators is the right answer.

The price of forum cleanliness is eternal vigilance.  Our founding forum members have mutually pledge their Lives, their Fortunes, and their sacred Honor in an effort to bash the invading hordes of NoobTrolls from our bitcoin.org/smf shores.  We will keep the forum open for all to come.  Those who wish to start private dinner clubs may do so at their own will...

"We will not find a solution to political problems in cryptography, but we can win a major battle in the arms race and gain a new territory of freedom for several years.

Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks, but pure P2P networks are holding their own."
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: