Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 10:10:56 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Does your name on Poloniex matter?  (Read 2949 times)
thejaytiesto (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1014

View Profile
February 24, 2016, 06:28:13 PM

I got told by some guys that everyone is using fake names on Poloniex ever since the FinCEN stuff happened like a year ago, when people got forced to put their names if they wanted to withdraw anything (even if you only deal with crypto and no fiat at all).

Personally I only own some altcoins and some BTC, its not even $300 dollars in totals so im not worried about the IRS or anything, but you never know when BTC or an alt you are holding goes to the moon, then they may be interested to know, and im worried about them asking and then seeing you used a fake name, so im using my real one. Im also worried about somewhere in the future they asking where X money came from, then I would say I had a Poloniex account, but if you use a fake name, they may ask why the name doesn't match your real name.

At the same time I also like to have privacy so using my name on this sort of crypto exchange is not something I like so I would like for alternative that don't force you to disclose name and location even if you only do small crypto currency-only transactions. I have been looking for other exchanges but their volume sucks compared to Poloniex so I have been using Poloniex only since then.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
February 24, 2016, 07:24:08 PM

if you connect a bank account to withdraw fiat on your account, then yes it matter, you need to provide a non-fake name of course

otherwise if you are there to trade crypto only it does not matter, i would put a fake name, sooner or later trading in fiat with crypto will be obsolete, when bitcoin will take the greater step, i know this, only crypto will be used
Rotator

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 24, 2016, 08:58:39 PM

US based exchange?
I love their gui working flawlessly, but never had a chance to use windrawls to bank account.
 Is there suport for SEPA?
Are they secured from id stealing, this is very serious matter ?
thejaytiesto (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1014

View Profile
February 25, 2016, 06:37:53 PM

if you connect a bank account to withdraw fiat on your account, then yes it matter, you need to provide a non-fake name of course

otherwise if you are there to trade crypto only it does not matter, i would put a fake name, sooner or later trading in fiat with crypto will be obsolete, when bitcoin will take the greater step, i know this, only crypto will be used
Well, I think fiat us not going anywhere anytime soon... you are talking bigger words there.
I think crypto will be huge in the next 5 to 10 years when governments kill cash, but currency issued currencies will still exist, so that means Poloniex will still ask for your name.

The problem is when the governments ask Poloniex about the data of everyone in here. So for example, you have now 0.1 BTC, you deposit it here from your Bitcoin wallet. You buy Ethereum, Maidsafe, Monero or any other good alt, it goes to the moon, you sell for big profit, let's say you bought 0.1 BTC worth of ETH, then you sell during the pump, you make 0.8 BTC, then you say ok, "this is good enough, im not going to risk with more pump and dumps", so you withdraw your 0.8 BTC into your wallet and hold for 5 years. 5 years later Bitcoin is worth 12,000 USD or something like that... then the governments may start asking exchanges because that's a pretty decent amount of money, and the IRS will want to tax that (or whatever you have in your country), so they will know that you once moved 0.8 BTC out of there, and they will ask you where that money is now, and if that name is not the same as yours, you may get into trouble.
I hope this makes sense.
Zeke2345

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile
February 25, 2016, 06:48:36 PM

I always get confused about the powers of fintrac in other Countries.
Feel its a head scratch in how it might be read in the Country the site if from or the site the user is in.

I would hesitate to link a bank to anything like this due to the power that gives.
Often people here in Canada will get their tax returns instantly deposited into there bank accounts.
No problem till they feel you owe and just lock your bank account with out any consultation.

But if you are only dabbling I would not be to worried,would relate it to downloading music illegally. They never went after every one but acted like they would.

██████████    YoBit.net - Cryptocurrency Exchange - Over 350 coins
█████████    <<  ● $$$ - $$$ - $$$ - $$$ - $$$ - $$$ - $$$   >>
██████████    <<  ● Play DICE! Win 1-5 btc just for 5 mins!  >>
darkangel11
Legendary

Activity: 2352
Merit: 1347

Defend Bitcoin and its PoW: bitcoincleanup.com

View Profile
February 25, 2016, 08:49:27 PM

So you basically are afraid your assets will go to the moon and you'll have to pay taxes. Haha welcome to the club, nobody wants to share with the governments but think of it like this. If you were running a company and it secured a huge contracts you'd still have to pay your taxes, right? If your assets gain a couple hundred percent it will still be free money for you, even if you'll have to share the profits with those leeches  Wink

███████████████████████████
███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███
.Duelbits.
..........UNLEASH..........
THE ULTIMATE
GAMING EXPERIENCE
DUELBITS
FANTASY
SPORTS
████▄▄█████▄▄
░▄████
███████████▄
▐███
███████████████▄
███
████████████████
███
████████████████▌
███
██████████████████
████████████████▀▀▀
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
▬▬
VS
▬▬
████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄
░▄████████████████▄
▐██████████████████▄
████████████████████
████████████████████▌
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
/// PLAY FOR  FREE  ///
WIN FOR REAL
..PLAY NOW..
ronaldinho_07

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 25, 2016, 10:37:11 PM

Always be honest ,at this point we are talking about governments taking full control about where the the money came from soo ,as you i only use my name we arent anymore childs to hide identity .
crazywack
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 25, 2016, 10:49:55 PM

Always be honest ,at this point we are talking about governments taking full control about where the the money came from soo ,as you i only use my name we arent anymore childs to hide identity .

At this point you have no reason to use a real name. If it's crypto to crypto. Once you go to fiat is when the government wants their share of your money.

Until the US OR the jurisdiction in which you live make crypto the same as fiat (Japan maybe soon) stay with a pseudonym.

EdenHazard
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 1048

View Profile
March 02, 2016, 08:04:44 AM

I got told by some guys that everyone is using fake names on Poloniex ever since the FinCEN stuff happened like a year ago, when people got forced to put their names if they wanted to withdraw anything (even if you only deal with crypto and no fiat at all).

Personally I only own some altcoins and some BTC, its not even $300 dollars in totals so im not worried about the IRS or anything, but you never know when BTC or an alt you are holding goes to the moon, then they may be interested to know, and im worried about them asking and then seeing you used a fake name, so im using my real one. Im also worried about somewhere in the future they asking where X money came from, then I would say I had a Poloniex account, but if you use a fake name, they may ask why the name doesn't match your real name.

At the same time I also like to have privacy so using my name on this sort of crypto exchange is not something I like so I would like for alternative that don't force you to disclose name and location even if you only do small crypto currency-only transactions. I have been looking for other exchanges but their volume sucks compared to Poloniex so I have been using Poloniex only since then.
i registered on poloniex some couple years ago,on 2014 exactly,and at that time i never have any problem with my account name,and now poloniex have some new regulations and its make us annoying.

.7 BTC  WELCOME BONUS!..
██████████▀▀▄▄▄▄▄ ▄▀▀██████
█████████▄██████ ████ ▀████
██████▀▀ ▄▄▄▄ ▀▀███▀▄██ ███
████▀   ██████   ▀██████ ██
███ ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄ ██▄▄▄ ██
██ █████▀    ▀█████ ████ ██
██  ▀██        ███▀ ███ ███
██   ▄██▄    ▄██▄   █▀▄████
███ ▄████████████▄ ████████
████▄▀███▀▀▀▀███▀▄█████████
██████▄▄      ▄▄███████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████▄█████▄█▄███▄█▄██████████▄██▀▀▀████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████▀████▄████▀██████████████████████████▄█████▄██▄█████▄████▄████▄████▄████████
█████████████████▐█████▌███████████▄█████▀███▀▀████████▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀██████▀▀███▀▀███████████
██████████████▄████▀████▄██████████████████▄▄▄▄▄███▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄████████████████████████
████████████████▀█▀███▀█▀██████████▀███████▀█████████▀█████▀██▀█████▀███████████████████████
██████████████████████████████▀▀▀████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
████████▀▀  ▐█▌  ▀▀████████
██████▄     ▐█▌     ▄██████
████ ▀██▄▄███████▄▄██▀ ████
███    ██▀▀  ▄  ▀▀██    ███
██    ██   ▄███▄   ██    ██
████████  ███████  ████████
██    ██  ▀▀ █ ▀▀  ██    ██
███    ██▄▄ ▀▀▀ ▄▄██    ███
████ ▄██▀▀██████▀▀▀██▄ ████
██████▀     ▐█▌     ▀██████
████████▄▄  ▐█▌  ▄▄████████