Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 05:36:31 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: i have a tx that is being rebroadcasted over and over and over..  (Read 1261 times)
aarons6 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

View Profile
February 24, 2016, 08:13:52 PM

so a couple weeks ago i sent some coins with the blockchain mobile wallet app..
it tacks on a .0001 fee, you cant change it. most of the time its enough.. but not this time.

48 hours later the tx failed and i got a text saying my funds were back in my wallet. ok no problem right? its happened a couple times.
but the issue is. a couple seconds later.. it says i sent the funds again. it doesnt change the fee. just resends it to that same address..

so 48 hours later, it fails again.. and resends again.

im on number 4 Sad

i cant stop it.. blockchain says its not them.. its another node that is doing it.

its going to fail every time.. cause it only has a .0001 fee.

i hope maybe one time i get lucky and it goes through, but there really needs to be SOME way to fix this from happening again.

and NO saying send with a larger fee is NOT a fix.. i been sending coins with .0001 for years.
--Encrypted--
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1007

hee-ho.

View Profile
February 24, 2016, 08:20:19 PM

i been sending coins with .0001 for years.

time to change your habit. these days paying 0.0001 fee everytime does not guarantee that your transactions will go through without a hitch.
visit this site and you'll see the current recommended fee per byte right now it's 0.000514 per KB. not 0.0001.
aarons6 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 24, 2016, 08:27:49 PM

i been sending coins with .0001 for years.

time to change your habit. these days paying 0.0001 fee everytime does not guarantee that your transactions will go through without a hitch.
visit this site and you'll see the current recommended fee per byte right now it's 0.000514 per KB. not 0.0001.

wow what a confusing site, i have NO idea how to read that..

anyways thats a moot point, since the android mobile wallet app doesnt let you set a fee manually.. it just adds one whatever it wants.

--Encrypted--
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1007

hee-ho.

View Profile
February 24, 2016, 09:02:21 PM

you can skip to Which fee should I use? if you want simple. basically it calculates the best fee based on the number of unconfirmed transaction + their fees.

anyways thats a moot point, since the android mobile wallet app doesnt let you set a fee manually.. it just adds one whatever it wants.

then use something else that allows you to set the fee manually. sending it again with .0001 after the btc returns to your wallet is the same as doing nothing.
only solution for this is get blockchain.info to allow manual fee on their android app.
aarons6 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 24, 2016, 10:29:19 PM

you can skip to Which fee should I use? if you want simple. basically it calculates the best fee based on the number of unconfirmed transaction + their fees.

then use something else that allows you to set the fee manually. sending it again with .0001 after the btc returns to your wallet is the same as doing nothing.
only solution for this is get blockchain.info to allow manual fee on their android app.

i guess you didnt read.. its ok.

im not sending it again.. some node is rebroadcasting it.

its done it 4 times now..
Goins

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 24, 2016, 10:41:21 PM

Is it also resending the coins when you don't open the app? If not I suggest you import the private key into another wallet (use the same app if you want), then wait until the bitcoins appear in your wallet again and now send a new transaction with a different fee if that is why it fails.
aarons6 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 24, 2016, 10:56:05 PM

Is it also resending the coins when you don't open the app? If not I suggest you import the private key into another wallet (use the same app if you want), then wait until the bitcoins appear in your wallet again and now send a new transaction with a different fee if that is why it fails.

this is what blockchain said to do.. they said to try to double send it.. thats what you are saying?

and not the apps not sending the coins. some node is rebroadcasting it when it fails. the app just notifies me the coins are being sent.
Goins

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 24, 2016, 11:02:13 PM

Do they rebroadcast it instantly? Otherwise you just have to be quicker I guess.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 4660

View Profile
February 25, 2016, 12:23:28 AM

some node is rebroadcasting it when it fails. the app just notifies me the coins are being sent.

Once you broadcast a transaction, anybody on the network can keep a copy of that transaction and re-broadcast it anytime they like until it either confirms or becomes invalid.  Generally there isn't any reason that a random user would want to do this, it doesn't benefit them at all.

While it is possible that some random user might be re-broadcasting the transaction just because they want to annoy random bitcoin users that have un-confirming transactions, it is FAR more likely that the recipient of the transaction is re-broadcasting it in order to make sure that they get the payment that they are expecting.

As such, it might be worthwhile to contact whatever person or business you sent the payment to, and ask them if they are re-broadcasting the transaction.  If they are, you might be able to arrange for them to stop so you can re-send a payment that will actually confirm.

jl777
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1132

View Profile WWW
February 25, 2016, 12:37:35 AM

why not use coin control to spend the same inputs (use enough fee!)
when that one is confirmed the floating tx will be rejected as invalid and wont be rebroadcast

http://www.digitalcatallaxy.com/report2015.html
100+ page annual report for SuperNET
aarons6 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 25, 2016, 01:44:57 AM

some node is rebroadcasting it when it fails. the app just notifies me the coins are being sent.

Once you broadcast a transaction, anybody on the network can keep a copy of that transaction and re-broadcast it anytime they like until it either confirms or becomes invalid.  Generally there isn't any reason that a random user would want to do this, it doesn't benefit them at all.

While it is possible that some random user might be re-broadcasting the transaction just because they want to annoy random bitcoin users that have un-confirming transactions, it is FAR more likely that the recipient of the transaction is re-broadcasting it in order to make sure that they get the payment that they are expecting.

As such, it might be worthwhile to contact whatever person or business you sent the payment to, and ask them if they are re-broadcasting the transaction.  If they are, you might be able to arrange for them to stop so you can re-send a payment that will actually confirm.

it could be this.. i didnt know this is something they could setup.. figured it was just automatic rebroadcast from nodes.

im going to try to do with blockchain said and import my keys in to electrum and try to send the bitcoin to another wallet.. with like a .0003 fee.

jl777
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 25, 2016, 03:17:44 AM

it could be this.. i didnt know this is something they could setup.. figured it was just automatic rebroadcast from nodes.

im going to try to do with blockchain said and import my keys in to electrum and try to send the bitcoin to another wallet.. with like a .0003 fee.

yes. use coin control and pick the exact same unspent that is circling around.
make sure it has plenty of txfee
when that confirms, the old tx becomes invalid and wont be relayed

aarons6 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 25, 2016, 03:24:35 AM

i tried to import the private key blockchain gives me but electrum said its invalid..

jl777
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 25, 2016, 04:02:47 AM

i tried to import the private key blockchain gives me but electrum said its invalid..

sorry cant help you there. you need to make sure you are getting the privkey from blockchain.info  that is compatible with electrum.

usually wif format for interchange, but I am not familiar with what blockchain.info sends

bitbaby

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
February 25, 2016, 04:29:05 AM

When and if you import the correct private key into electrum, I am thinking it might still show it as pending until the transaction gets forgotten by other nodes, which might not happen if someone is re-broadcasting it continuously, cmiiw.

jl777
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 25, 2016, 04:36:50 AM

When and if you import the correct private key into electrum, I am thinking it might still show it as pending until the transaction gets forgotten by other nodes, which might not happen if someone is re-broadcasting it continuously, cmiiw.
given two different tx in the unconfirmed pool using the same utxo, not sure if the miners will pick the one with the higher fee using default miner. I think they have pretty liberal discretion to pick and choose among the valid unconfirmeds, but not sure the exact logic the big miners are using

some are just ignoring the txfees completely and just going for the blockreward. So it might have to wait until a miner that gives preference to the higher paying tx mines a block.

Would be interested to know how this turns out.

James

bitbaby

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
February 25, 2016, 04:44:01 AM

given two different tx in the unconfirmed pool using the same utxo, not sure if the miners will pick the one with the higher fee using default miner. I think they have pretty liberal discretion to pick and choose among the valid unconfirmeds, but not sure the exact logic the big miners are using

some are just ignoring the txfees completely and just going for the blockreward. So it might have to wait until a miner that gives preference to the higher paying tx mines a block.

James

My point was, Electrum won't let you create another transaction with same outputs until the previous transaction is dropped and it might not happen until it is being re-broadcasted by anyone. So to create the same tx with higher fee, OP may have to use another method/wallet-client.

jl777
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 25, 2016, 05:16:53 AM

James

My point was, Electrum won't let you create another transaction with same outputs until the previous transaction is dropped and it might not happen until it is being re-broadcasted by anyone. So to create the same tx with higher fee, OP may have to use another method/wallet-client.
createrawtransaction?
or just 0.12 bitcoind using coincontrol

aarons6 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 25, 2016, 05:54:41 AM

im stuck at importing the key.. :/

blockchain is giving me a key that starts with a 2

i need a key that has
5Hxxxx or 5Kxxxx or 5Lxxxxx

i dunno.. do i have to convert the key they give me?
jl777
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 25, 2016, 06:03:00 AM

im stuck at importing the key.. :/

blockchain is giving me a key that starts with a 2

i need a key that has
5Hxxxx or 5Kxxxx or 5Lxxxxx

i dunno.. do i have to convert the key they give me?

is the key that starts with 2, by any chance 66 bytes long?
if so, it is the pubkey

you need the wif privkey, did you contact their support?

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: