Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 03:05:36 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Perhaps Bitcoin will slow down rampant consumerism  (Read 1924 times)
bitlotto (OP)

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

BitLotto - best odds + best payouts + cheat-proof

View Profile WWW
June 08, 2011, 11:54:11 PM

I know for myself, I'm slower to spend BTC knowing the value increases with time. (So far) I'm always thinking: Do I need it? Can it wait? I do spend, but more conservatively.
Whereas, with cash, it seems like when I have it, I spend it. I know that with time it's value will get less and less and so I'm more motivated to get rid of it without thinking too much.
So perhaps a currency that grows in value will slow down wasteful spending? (I don't really know much about economics but it seems like quite a few here do, so I was hoping for some thoughts!)

*Next Draw Feb 1*  BitLotto: monthly raffle (0.25 BTC per ticket) Completely transparent and impossible to manipulate who wins. TOR
TOR2WEB
Donations to: 1JQdiQsjhV2uJ4Y8HFtdqteJsZhv835a8J are appreciated.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
em3rgentOrdr

Activity: 434
Merit: 251

youtube.com/ericfontainejazz now accepts bitcoin

View Profile WWW
June 09, 2011, 12:08:08 AM

FEDERAL RESERVE likes to keep currency inflating at a steady rate.  This encourages people to spend their money more since their cash looses value over time.  Thus rampart consumerism is bad because it artifically creates extra economic activity when there shouldn't be.  This leads to artificial economic booms which ultimately lead to busts.  So yes, bitcoin will help level out and bring some sanity to the economic cycle.

"We will not find a solution to political problems in cryptography, but we can win a major battle in the arms race and gain a new territory of freedom for several years.

Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks, but pure P2P networks are holding their own."
skysurfer808

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 12:51:17 AM

I know for myself, I'm slower to spend BTC knowing the value increases with time. (So far) I'm always thinking: Do I need it? Can it wait? I do spend, but more conservatively.
Whereas, with cash, it seems like when I have it, I spend it. I know that with time it's value will get less and less and so I'm more motivated to get rid of it without thinking too much.
So perhaps a currency that grows in value will slow down wasteful spending? (I don't really know much about economics but it seems like quite a few here do, so I was hoping for some thoughts!)

FEDERAL RESERVE likes to keep currency inflating at a steady rate.  This encourages people to spend their money more since their cash looses value over time.  Thus rampart consumerism is bad because it artifically creates extra economic activity when there shouldn't be.  This leads to artificial economic booms which ultimately lead to busts.  So yes, bitcoin will help level out and bring some sanity to the economic cycle.

Great posts guys, you've described exactly what happens to society when money becomes devalued over time, a thing we are all conditioned with as we've grown up watching the dollar's value plummet.  The hope is that Bitcoin appreciates and is adopted to the point where it acts as a corrective to the decline in the value of Fiat.  

Skysurfer808

bitcool
Legendary

Activity: 1441
Merit: 1000

Live and enjoy experiments

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 02:48:24 AM

So perhaps a currency that grows in value will slow down wasteful spending?
I have no doubt this is true. In order to make customers open their bitcoin wallets, product and service need to be highly valuable and of high quality.
fornit

Activity: 991
Merit: 1008

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 03:24:29 PM

So perhaps a currency that grows in value will slow down wasteful spending?
I have no doubt this is true. In order to make customers open their bitcoin wallets, product and service need to be highly valuable and of high quality.

i really hope that happens, economic growth just for its own sake is one of the biggest problems mankind has right now. i think a deflationary currency can play a vital role in changing the economy so that it focuses on human needs again.
hugolp
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1001

Radix-The Decentralized Finance Protocol

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 06:44:19 PM

i really hope that happens, economic growth just for its own sake is one of the biggest problems mankind has right now. i think a deflationary currency can play a vital role in changing the economy so that it focuses on human needs again.

I agree with the sentiment of your sentence, but I want to stress that growing GDP, that is an increase of the economic activity, is not always growth. Its a perverssion of the language and the economic concepts that has created a lot of damage. Growth is producing what people want and need. Therefore not all economic activity is growth. F.e., the housing bubble was pushing GDP up because it was creating economic activity, but it was not growth, since we were using resources (both material and human) into building things people did not want in that quantity (houses). That was not growth, they were malinvestments.

▄████████▄
               ██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
              ██▀
             ███
▄▄▄▄▄       ███
██████     ███
    ▀██▄  ▄██
     ▀██▄▄██▀
       ████▀
        ▀█▀
The Radix DeFi Protocol is
R A D I X

███████████████████████████████████

The Decentralized

Finance Protocol
Scalable
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██
██                   ██
██                   ██
████████████████     ██
██            ██     ██
██            ██     ██
██▄▄▄▄▄▄      ██     ██
██▀▀▀▀██      ██     ██
██    ██      ██     
██    ██      ██
███████████████████████

███
Secure
      ▄▄▄▄▄
    █████████
   ██▀     ▀██
  ███       ███

▄▄███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███▄▄
██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██
██             ██
██             ██
██             ██
██             ██
██             ██
██    ███████████

███
Community Driven
      ▄█   ▄▄
      ██ ██████▄▄
      ▀▀▄█▀   ▀▀██▄
     ▄▄ ██       ▀███▄▄██
    ██ ██▀          ▀▀██▀
    ██ ██▄            ██
   ██ ██████▄▄       ██▀
  ▄██       ▀██▄     ██
  ██▀         ▀███▄▄██▀
 ▄██             ▀▀▀▀
 ██▀
▄██
▄▄
██
███▄
▀███▄
 ▀███▄
  ▀████
    ████
     ████▄
      ▀███▄
       ▀███▄
        ▀████
          ███
           ██
           ▀▀

███
Radix is using our significant technology
innovations to be the first layer 1 protocol
specifically built to serve the rapidly growing DeFi.
Radix is the future of DeFi
█████████████████████████████████████

▄▄█████
  ▄████▀▀▀
  █████
█████████▀
▀▀█████▀▀
  ████
  ████
  ████

Facebook

███