Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 03:39:21 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Am I helping by running a 30Kb/s node  (Read 604 times)
Jet Cash (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2716
Merit: 2457

https://JetCash.com

View Profile WWW
February 27, 2016, 08:16:47 AM

I read the paper on the scalability of Bitcoin, and I got the impression that nodes with connection times of under 60Kb/s could slow down updating for other nodes. I run the node for around 8 hours per day, and it's mainly to support my wallet. Am I being selfish, and should I reduce the time that I have my node online? I'm running at a usual speed of around 30Kb/s with 8 output connections and 0 inputs.

Offgrid campers allow you to enjoy life and preserve your health and wealth.
Save old Cars - my project to save old cars from scrapage schemes, and to reduce the sale of new cars.
My new Bitcoin transfer address is - bc1q9gtz8e40en6glgxwk4eujuau2fk5wxrprs6fys
1Referee
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1427

View Profile
February 27, 2016, 08:41:17 AM

Well, it's more a matter of, what's better, a slow node, or no node at all. I will always prefer a slower node. When people have their wallet open they are connected with around 10-30 nodes. If there are a few slow nodes between the rest of the nodes it won't cause much problems for other people. May I ask why your connection is that slow?
Jet Cash (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 27, 2016, 12:46:50 PM

One of the projects that I'm involved with at the moment is looking at the facilities for people on the move, or who don't have a stable base for some reason. These include, businessmen, campers, tourists and others with "green" political ideas. Most of the time I'm using McDonalds, libraries and garden centres etc. Libraries don't allow you to use port 8333, McD averages at around 30Kb/s. Right now I'm in a garden centre, and I'm sync'ing at around 300Kb/s - they've got nice Earl Grey tea at twice the price, but no power sockets. Smiley

Save old Cars - my project to save old cars from scrapage schemes, and to reduce the sale of new cars.
pereira4
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1183

View Profile
February 27, 2016, 12:48:56 PM

Im not sure how it works, but making a "slow node" less useful than "no node at all" seems like a very crappy way to deal with things. I would assume that the devs know this, so maybe we are not understanding how this works. I just don't believe that is the case at all. The more nodes the better network, or at least thats how it should be.
Jet Cash (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 27, 2016, 12:57:25 PM

I think it's something to do with relaying transactions. With no input port, I may not be affecting that, but I have noticed that a couple of nodes have blocked me in the past, so they may need faster responses for some reason. I understand that miners use piping, and that probably ensures they get updated quickly. Perhaps someone wiith more knowledge than me could explain it a little better.

unamis76
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1009

View Profile
February 27, 2016, 01:02:28 PM

Several connection can be made precisely to avoid being hindered by a unique slow node, so it's better have a slow node, as said.

You know you're helping if you have your ports forwarded and can connect to more than 8 people.
Jet Cash (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 27, 2016, 01:09:46 PM

You know you're helping if you have your ports forwarded and can connect to more than 8 people.

I can't do that using free WiFi. I might try to get the libraries to open port 8333 specifically for Bitcoin, but they may not like people downloading the whole blockchain.

unamis76
Legendary

View Profile
February 27, 2016, 01:10:51 PM

I can't do that using free WiFi. I might try to get the libraries to open port 8333 specifically for Bitcoin, but they may not like people downloading the whole blockchain.

You're not helping the network, then.
ATguy

Activity: 423
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 27, 2016, 04:40:34 PM

Even though he doesnt help others with syncing much and can only open 8 outgoing connections, he still rellay incoming transactions thus helping the network with transaction propagation and decentralization. Also more nodes = the original transaction sender IP become more anonymous.

.Liqui Exchange.Trade and earn 24% / year on BTC, LTC, ETH
....Brand NEW..........................................Payouts every 24h. Learn more at official thread
unamis76
Legendary

View Profile
February 27, 2016, 05:27:21 PM

Even though he doesnt help others with syncing much and can only open 8 outgoing connections, he still rellay incoming transactions thus helping the network with transaction propagation and decentralization. Also more nodes = the original transaction sender IP become more anonymous.

I guess you're right, that seems to be true. Was not aware of that, thank you Smiley
countryfree
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1047

Your country may be your worst enemy

View Profile
February 27, 2016, 05:53:34 PM

I've always thought a node should be kept running 24/7. I sure appreciate your willingness to help, and you DO help, we thank you all for what you do, but keep in mind you are not doing much.

I used to be a citizen and a taxpayer. Those days are long gone.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: