Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 08:26:27 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: If miners sell coins, where do they sell them?  (Read 2195 times)
Jet Cash (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2702
Merit: 2456

https://JetCash.com

View Profile WWW
February 27, 2016, 01:49:30 PM

Everybody seems to assume that the halving will cause the price of Bitcoin to rise. I assume that they believe that miners will sell fewer coins on the open market. If miners sell directly to investors, then the drop may not have an immediate impact on sales. Also, some coins may be retained for investment by the miners. So my question is - how many mined coins are sold on the open market?

Offgrid campers allow you to enjoy life and preserve your health and wealth.
Save old Cars - my project to save old cars from scrapage schemes, and to reduce the sale of new cars.
My new Bitcoin transfer address is - bc1q9gtz8e40en6glgxwk4eujuau2fk5wxrprs6fys

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
HeroCat

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 27, 2016, 01:53:29 PM

Miners can keep their BTC and even do not sell them, waiting for BTC price increase.  How large is open market BTC volume - it is very hard to say - as BTC market is not regulated by anyone.  Smiley
unamis76
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1005

View Profile
February 27, 2016, 01:55:31 PM

Where does everyone else sell their coins? Exchanges, OTC, through localbitcoins etc... Miners sell their coins there too.

As for how many you'd have to ask the miners themselves, I guess... But I don't think any big operation will disclose their numbers to you (or anyone of us) in this forum Cheesy
Jeremycoin
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1003

𝓗𝓞𝓓𝓛

View Profile
February 27, 2016, 01:59:08 PM

Of course miners will sell their coins to some exchange or sell it to someone, but they won't sell all of their Bitcoin at once. Instead, they will sell their bitcoin as much as they need.

faucet used to be profitable
calkob

Activity: 1092
Merit: 520

View Profile
February 27, 2016, 02:01:30 PM

being a miner myself i know that i sell some at the exchanges and hold some in the hope of future gains.  Grin
vilain

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 27, 2016, 02:09:01 PM

being a miner myself i know that i sell some at the exchanges and hold some in the hope of future gains.  Grin

Do you convert to fiat only the amount required to cover the mining costs?

Or you cover part of mining costs with fiat (the equivalent of investing more at the mining operation)?
jtipt

Activity: 1064
Merit: 529

View Profile
February 27, 2016, 02:50:10 PM

I think they just keep it till price increases, i am just assuming this as if i was a miner i would do the same  Cheesy
BitsandBites

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 27, 2016, 02:53:26 PM

Many miners hold their bitcoins, not all of them sell their coins instantly.
Holding is a good strategy right now, I don't see that many people selling their bitcoins.
bargainbin

View Profile
February 27, 2016, 02:54:47 PM

I think they just keep it till price increases, i am just assuming this as if i was a miner i would do the same  Cheesy

That only works if Mom pays rent & electricity.
EdenHazard
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 1048

View Profile
February 27, 2016, 02:56:03 PM

Everybody seems to assume that the halving will cause the price of Bitcoin to rise. I assume that they believe that miners will sell fewer coins on the open market. If miners sell directly to investors, then the drop may not have an immediate impact on sales. Also, some coins may be retained for investment by the miners. So my question is - how many mined coins are sold on the open market?
its hard to answer,i dont knowbecause i'm not miner,and i dont have friends who mine bitcoins,i just guess that miners sell their coins to market,but with several period,they can control bitcoin price on that exchange if they sell so many bitcoins.

.7 BTC  WELCOME BONUS!..
███████████████████████████
██████████▀▀▄▄▄▄▄ ▄▀▀██████
█████████▄██████ ████ ▀████
██████▀▀ ▄▄▄▄ ▀▀███▀▄██ ███
████▀   ██████   ▀██████ ██
███ ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄ ██▄▄▄ ██
██ █████▀    ▀█████ ████ ██
██  ▀██        ███▀ ███ ███
██   ▄██▄    ▄██▄   █▀▄████
███ ▄████████████▄ ████████
████▄▀███▀▀▀▀███▀▄█████████
██████▄▄      ▄▄███████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████▄█████▄█▄███▄█▄██████████▄██▀▀▀████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████▀████▄████▀██████████████████████████▄█████▄██▄█████▄████▄████▄████▄████████
█████████████████▐█████▌███████████▄█████▀███▀▀████████▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀██████▀▀███▀▀███████████
██████████████▄████▀████▄██████████████████▄▄▄▄▄███▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄████████████████████████
████████████████▀█▀███▀█▀██████████▀███████▀█████████▀█████▀██▀█████▀███████████████████████
██████████████████████████████▀▀▀████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
████████▀▀  ▐█▌  ▀▀████████
██████▄     ▐█▌     ▄██████
████ ▀██▄▄███████▄▄██▀ ████
███    ██▀▀  ▄  ▀▀██    ███
██    ██   ▄███▄   ██    ██
████████  ███████  ████████
██    ██  ▀▀ █ ▀▀  ██    ██
███    ██▄▄ ▀▀▀ ▄▄██    ███
████ ▄██▀▀██████▀▀▀██▄ ████
██████▀     ▐█▌     ▀██████
████████▄▄  ▐█▌  ▄▄████████
.30+  ALTCOINS AVAILABLE..
jtipt

Activity: 1064
Merit: 529

View Profile
February 27, 2016, 03:02:26 PM

heh yea maybe but I stay away from mining on my pc anyways. If I ever mine I would use one of cloud miner lel
Za1n
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1011

View Profile
February 27, 2016, 03:04:37 PM

Yes, only home hobbyist miners who spend less than a few hundred dollars a month on the mining electricity and other costs will be able to adopt a mine and hold strategy for very long. Once you scale past a certain size, especially if you need to rent out a place coupled with higher electrical bills (thousands a month), you begin have too many monthly expenses to pay for to not sell at least enough BTC to cover those expenses. Unless of course you are really rich, at which point it may be better to just buy and sell and not worry about all the mining hassle to begin with.
BTCBinary

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 27, 2016, 03:07:29 PM

I guess they try to sell them around through excganges and through this forum as well.
It is important that they don't sell them all in the same place so that the price doesn't fall too low.
Jet Cash (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2702
Merit: 2456

https://JetCash.com

View Profile WWW
February 27, 2016, 03:24:45 PM

My interest is in how many mined coins are sold. If an exchange owns a mining firm, then those coins will go into stock, and will only be sold if demand is there. If a pension fund owns a mining farm so that it can obtain coins at a discount, then those coins won't hit the market. If miners decide that returns are low, and sell their business to a pension fund, then that will withdraw those coins. Obviously there are many more possibilities. With the current value of Bitcoin, the halving is probably going to change the supply chain for Bitcoins.

Offgrid campers allow you to enjoy life and preserve your health and wealth.
Save old Cars - my project to save old cars from scrapage schemes, and to reduce the sale of new cars.
My new Bitcoin transfer address is - bc1q9gtz8e40en6glgxwk4eujuau2fk5wxrprs6fys
bargainbin

View Profile
February 27, 2016, 03:34:51 PM

My interest is in how many mined coins are sold. If an exchange owns a mining firm, then those coins will go into stock, and will only be sold if demand is there. If a pension fund owns a mining farm so that it can obtain coins at a discount, then those coins won't hit the market. If miners decide that returns are low, and sell their business to a pension fund, then that will withdraw those coins. Obviously there are many more possibilities. With the current value of Bitcoin, the halving is probably going to change the supply chain for Bitcoins.

You're not going to find the necessary data -- most of the farms aren't publicly traded, so aren't required to disclose their financials. So they do not, because why would they?
>miners decide that returns are low, and sell their business to a pension fund
Cheesy
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3013

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
February 27, 2016, 03:43:59 PM

The big  scale miners would have to be pretty dim and desperate to sell on exchanges. You'd be far better off setting up an ongoing buy with OTC customers. No slippage. No middle men. No way of getting shut down.

There won't be much or any difference on the exchanges post halving. There are always plenty of coins up for sale.
SFR10
Legendary

Activity: 2996
Merit: 3416

Crypto Swap Exchange

View Profile WWW
February 27, 2016, 03:47:09 PM

There's no exact way to measure how many mind coins are being sold on the open market but to give a guess, I would say around 40% - 60% are being sold. Mostly miners use exchanges but in the past , when I still used to mine, I sold some using facebook (got few local buyers) and did everything almost online. They needed some fractions of BTCitcoin and I asked them to wire the equal amount to my bank and then I sent them the required amount as well. AFAIK back in the days, social networks where also a large market for buy and sell of BTCitcoin (not sure now).

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
February 27, 2016, 03:58:09 PM

Miners can keep their BTC and even do not sell them, waiting for BTC price increase.  How large is open market BTC volume - it is very hard to say - as BTC market is not regulated by anyone.  Smiley

no they cannot, they need to sell at least 1/4 of they earning for maintanance and electricity, so i believe they sell them on exchange and maybe privately? but i doubt, mostly are sold on exchange
magemist

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

View Profile
February 27, 2016, 04:02:15 PM

I don't think miners sell it them selves as their job is to mine. They allow delgated people to do that for them.
Usually they put it in to exchanges to try and make more or invest it.
Pk880058

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 27, 2016, 08:12:51 PM

I don't think miners sell it them selves as their job is to mine. They allow delgated people to do that for them.
Usually they put it in to exchanges to try and make more or invest it.

I think your reply is some what to the point. They wont sell the bitcoins but they do trading and some of them i think started the gambling sites and some of them have started the cloud mining sites. like this they invest and earn on that investment.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: