Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 09:23:13 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How can I know whether my physical BTCs are loaded or not?  (Read 1030 times)
goldlyre (OP)

Activity: 1101
Merit: 512

View Profile
January 22, 2013, 03:40:56 AM

I've ordered two Casascius Physical Bitcoins from Mr. Mike Caldwell and he had sent those on 30th of last month.

In the email he said:

======

Because you are outside the US, for customs purposes I have begun sending the coins inactive for international orders.  I now send the balance to them either immediately when you let me know they arrived, or within 21 days after mailing, whichever comes first.  This allows me to declare them as having a negligible value.

Thanks for your order

Mike

Your coin addresses:

1Cs6PUtCCjHeoCpnNH9stqznd6RApbP9kL :1, 1CseT4yg3y4cQ6mZctfQiPhehUZEkqevb6 :1

=======

As I'd selected USPS First Class Mail which is cheaper, the coins are very slow and have not reached me yet. Considering that it is now already 21 days after mailing, I have just checked on Bitcoin Block Explorer and the result is -

=======

Address 1Cs6PUtCCjHeoCpnNH9stqznd6RApbP9kL
 First seen?: Never used on the network (as far as I can tell)
 Received transactions: 0
Received BTC: 0
Sent transactions: 0
Sent BTC: 0
Hash160?: 8222adxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 Public key?:
Unknown (not seen yet)

=======

I want to know if it is normal?

Thanks!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
January 22, 2013, 03:47:26 AM

It's not normal for me to jump the gun on the 21 days, even if I say that.  What I'm "really" doing is saying in a non-confrontational manner: "I reserve the right to not let you wait forever before I load these, I'm going to load them eventually whether you like it or not".  In practice, I rarely have problems, and have never loaded coins without either getting the confirmation, or contacting the buyer first to make sure they got them.  At about the 60 day mark is when I start going through the orders and seeing which ones haven't been confirmed.

How to check though... you've done exactly the right thing.  Do a search on the bitcoin address on Blockchain.info or similar site.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
goldlyre (OP)

View Profile
January 22, 2013, 04:03:05 AM

Hi, Mike,

You're still awake at this time of midnight? I'm glad hearing your quick reply here.

5 days ago, I'd sent an email to you but got no reply from you.

=======

Hi, Mr. Mike Caldwell,

Till now - 17:00 of 17th January - I haven't received yet the package with 2 pc of physical bitcoins in it, and I want to know that by which means of transportation the mail is usually going: Is it by air mail or staying on an ocean liner? I wonder if you could happen to know this and give me a reply? Thanks.

Goldlyre in Shanghai

=======

Will the USPS Express Mail send package by air mail? The USPS First Class is too slow for me. Thanks.

jump the gun

<俚>(赛跑时)未听发令枪就起跑,抢跑,行动过早
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
January 22, 2013, 04:37:43 AM

The First Class option is typically airmail.  Typical delivery time is 10-14 days, but I've seen as few as 5, and as many as 35 days, on occasions I have no way to predict.  Sometimes you get lucky and other times not.  I have not yet had many orders to China so I don't know what to expect as typical.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
goldlyre (OP)

View Profile
January 22, 2013, 04:43:15 AM

The First Class option is typically airmail.  Typical delivery time is 10-14 days, but I've seen as few as 5, and as many as 35 days, on occasions I have no way to predict.  Sometimes you get lucky and other times not.  I have not yet had many orders to China so I don't know what to expect as typical.
Roger, Sir.
goldlyre (OP)

View Profile
January 25, 2013, 09:16:41 AM

I just don't know how it works. Till today it is already 27 days after mailing, and I still look at zero value in my bitcoin adresses. Am I wrong? or something has gone wrong?
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
January 25, 2013, 11:34:25 AM

I just don't know how it works. Till today it is already 27 days after mailing, and I still look at zero value in my bitcoin adresses. Am I wrong? or something has gone wrong?

Did u receive the coins yet?  Seems u should have them before he loads them.

I've gotten lots of these  no problem in the past.  Must have something to do with you being in china
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: