Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 04:02:04 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Difference between Bitcoin ad Dwolla: "Dwolla teams up with the government"  (Read 1671 times)
evoorhees (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
January 22, 2013, 04:49:04 PM

Just got this in my email this morning...

Subject: Dwolla teams up with the government

In case it wasn't clear what the difference was between a distributed Bitcoin open-source system and a central corporate proprietary system... If Bitcoin could send out emails, they would say "Bitcoin teams up with freedom"

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
January 22, 2013, 04:57:43 PM

At some point in the future, I envision BitPay setting up similar options for various government agencies, states-wide, to have their constituents pay taxes and other municipal payments.
TraderTimm
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1121

View Profile
January 22, 2013, 05:06:04 PM

Dwolla sucks so hard, they could make a fortune operating electron microscopes, or satellite testing chambers.

fortitudinem multis - catenum regit omnia
evoorhees (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 22, 2013, 05:10:24 PM

At some point in the future, I envision BitPay setting up similar options for various government agencies, states-wide, to have their constituents pay taxes and other municipal payments.

Sure, some Bitcoin companies will be in full compliance with Governments (and this is a good strategy, as I've expressed before). Some may even advocate government regulation and involvement. But it doesn't matter, because Bitcoin itself is fundamentally free-market and government-proof.
Monster Tent

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 22, 2013, 11:27:21 PM

I predict taxation will move to a consumption tax model if and when bitcoin becomes large enough to make a dent in the economy.

This means everything you buy at the grocery or department store or anywhere else will have a 30% tax added.

Yankee (BitInstant)
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1000

Charlie 'Van Bitcoin' Shrem

View Profile WWW
January 22, 2013, 11:35:29 PM

I kind of agree with you here. It's funny because I imagine something like this happening:

"Alright guys, we've officially 100% transferred all financial transactions in Iowa to be processed thru Dwolla."

"Awesome, we need to give yearly tax refunds to all Iowa nationals who are living abroad"

"Oh shit, Dwolla only does ACH and we can only send money in-state"

"Well, that sucks...can we get the funds back?"

"No, Dwolla did a chargeback and took all our money without letting us know and just now changed their TOS to reflect that they can legally do this."

"Oh shit is right...should have used Bitcoin"

Bitcoin pioneer. An apostle of Satoshi Nakamoto. A crusader for a new, better, tech-driven society. A dreamer.

More about me: http://CharlieShrem.com
Monster Tent

Activity: 238

View Profile
January 22, 2013, 11:38:48 PM

I kind of agree with you here. It's funny because I imagine something like this happening:

"Alright guys, we've officially 100% transferred all financial transactions in Iowa to be processed thru Dwolla."

"Awesome, we need to give yearly tax refunds to all Iowa nationals who are living abroad"

"Oh shit, Dwolla only does ACH and we can only send money in-state"

"Well, that sucks...can we get the funds back?"

"No, Dwolla did a chargeback and took all our money without letting us know and just now changed their TOS to reflect that they can legally do this."

"Oh shit is right...should have used Bitcoin"

I wonder if any payment service has ever done a chargeback on a government department ?

Yankee (BitInstant)
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1000

Charlie 'Van Bitcoin' Shrem

View Profile WWW
January 22, 2013, 11:51:11 PM

I wonder if any payment service has ever done a chargeback on a government department ?

MmmMMmmm

I wonder if my bank would let me claim fraud on my tax check  Grin

Bitcoin pioneer. An apostle of Satoshi Nakamoto. A crusader for a new, better, tech-driven society. A dreamer.

More about me: http://CharlieShrem.com
niko

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
January 22, 2013, 11:53:49 PM

It happens all the time internationally. It's called "economic sanctions." Typically, funds get frozen, government officials are removed by bombs and/or insurgency, and charged-back funds are split among friends.

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
January 23, 2013, 12:54:53 AM

MmmMMmmm

I wonder if my bank would let me claim fraud on my tax check  Grin

Lol, tell them you sent it under duress.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
misterbigg
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 23, 2013, 02:51:31 PM

LOL!!! Worst marketing department ever...
evoorhees (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 23, 2013, 05:56:29 PM

LOL!!! Worst marketing department ever...

It's so funny Smiley  Can you ever imagine a Bitcoin company sending that out as an email?  It's a different paradigm completely... though unfortunately the "average person" would see nothing wrong with that subject line.
kjlimo
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1031

View Profile WWW
January 23, 2013, 06:04:11 PM

How long before Dwolla & Paypal are exactly the same... wasn't Paypal started on the same principles as Dwolla and look at them now?

Coinbase for selling BTCs
Fold for spending BTCs
PM me with any questions on these sites/apps!  http://www.montybitcoin.com

or Vircurex for trading alt cryptocurrencies like DOGEs
CoinNinja for exploring the blockchain.
deepceleron
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1032

View Profile WWW
January 23, 2013, 08:52:07 PM

Unremarkable, as they are based there with local college "talent" from there. The gubmint will probably do that just for the economic stimulus to a local tech business in a region that is only notable for cows and corn and innocent farm girls fresh off the bus in Hollywood. Look at the soil around Des Moines. You can't build on it, you can't grow anything in it. The government
says it's due to poor farming.

PS. Photo is copyright http://www.saduraphotography.com/
twolifeinexile

Activity: 154

View Profile
January 23, 2013, 09:48:56 PM

I predict taxation will move to a consumption tax model if and when bitcoin becomes large enough to make a dent in the economy.

This means everything you buy at the grocery or department store or anywhere else will have a 30% tax added.

They will figure a way to tax, as always.....
misterbigg
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 23, 2013, 10:07:43 PM

unfortunately the "average person" would see nothing wrong with that subject line.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. Yes there is plenty of cognitive dissonance, but even the politically illiterate understands that whenever they have to deal with a government entity (for example, to get a Driver's License) they have to put up with terrible service, long lines, etc...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: