Bitcoin Forum
June 18, 2024, 08:12:26 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Why mining option was removed from bitcoin core/classic?  (Read 633 times)
owm123 (OP)

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 28, 2016, 09:52:42 PM

I KNOW that solo mining on CPU is not efficient and from profitably point of view pointless.

But mining was always part of bitcoin, and even if its not profitable, for many users  can be satisfactory to support network by mining a little bit, when they you use the wallet.

For new users, it could give also some psychological idea that they actually contribute to the security of the network with a sight chance still finding a block.

Bitcoin is NOT anonymous: http://www.bitcoinisnotanonymous.com
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4256
Merit: 4529

View Profile
February 28, 2016, 10:04:26 PM

solo mining is pointless and not helping the network at all

i think core should concentrate on the relay and validation stuff and miners have their own implementation.

the more variety of implementations that all have the basic same rules, the better.. that would secure the network more, rather than the whole community all using one source of code

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
achow101
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 6710

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
February 28, 2016, 11:27:46 PM

When was mining removed from Bitcoin Core? I don't see it removed.

Anyways, I don't think that it will be removed since mining code is required for testnet and regtest. It would be a little pointless to change it to only be able to mine on the test networks and not the mainnet as that just adds extra code. However it could be removed from the mainnet code since there really is no point in attempting to solo cpu mine Bitcoin.

tobacco123

Activity: 552

View Profile
February 29, 2016, 01:27:14 AM

I agree that mining using the nodes is really pointless and kind of "duplicate effort" since there are so many industrial level miners around. Mining will slow down your PC and make it difficult to use. For me I just run the node in the background and continue to do my daily work using the PC.

AliceWonderMiscreations

Activity: 182
Merit: 107

View Profile WWW
February 29, 2016, 01:43:20 AM

some psychological idea that they actually contribute to the security of the network

Illusion of security where it doesn't actually exist is dangerous.

I hereby reserve the right to sometimes be wrong
Randian Hero

Activity: 439

View Profile
March 06, 2016, 10:03:58 PM

When was mining removed from Bitcoin Core? I don't see it removed.

Anyways, I don't think that it will be removed since mining code is required for testnet and regtest. It would be a little pointless to change it to only be able to mine on the test networks and not the mainnet as that just adds extra code. However it could be removed from the mainnet code since there really is no point in attempting to solo cpu mine Bitcoin.

It was removed from the GUI some years ago, I think that's what he meant.
calkob

Activity: 1092
Merit: 520

View Profile
March 06, 2016, 11:52:27 PM

setgenerate still works in the console yeah?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: