Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 02:16:31 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The halving is coming. What's your next move?  (Read 2981 times)
BTCBinary (OP)

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 01, 2016, 04:52:00 AM
Last edit: March 01, 2016, 08:22:08 PM by -ck

I'm mining with the S7 and now I'm profiting half what it mines. For now I don't know about any new hardware, but I know that once the halving goes on my miners will become unprofitable...
I haven't decided my next move yet.

Are you\ or if you were on a similar situation?what would be your next move?
enhu
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1018

View Profile
March 01, 2016, 05:00:32 AM

I'm no miner though but can't you use that hardware to mine certain alt coins as well or is it purposely just for bitcoin?  I've read somewhere like gridseed devices which can also mine other coins besides btc. if it works to some coins, that i think should be an option for those miners.

██████████ BitcoinCleanUp.comDebunking Bitcoin's Energy Use ██████████
██████████                Twitter#EndTheFUD                 ██████████
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
March 01, 2016, 07:19:45 AM

mining decred with gpu much better than mining directly, bitcoin and also do some trading on the 4xx-450 range

stick with gpu they can mine everything and there is always something profitable, especially with cheap electricity
ondar82

Activity: 26
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 01, 2016, 07:35:38 AM

cheap electricity is biggest problem, but with GPU minig Decred DCR (blake 256 algo) is still profitable  Cool
ASIC weakness is, that they can't change mining algo  Sad
OmegaStarScream
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3486
Merit: 6145

View Profile
March 01, 2016, 07:36:29 AM

I'm mining with the S7 and now I'm profiting half what it mines. For now I don't know about any new hardware, but I know that once the halving goes on my miners will become unprofitable...
I haven't decided my next move yet.

Are you\ or if you were on a similar situation?what would be your next move?

Why It will be unprofitable exactly ? since the halving is going to happen the price should rise so you will find find your self in profit once again , even if you don't profit just after the halving , you should think of it as long term investment and be patient to make some huge profit . If you are looking for quick profit then I don't think Bitcoin is the kind of things that you want to invest on .

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
BTCBinary (OP)

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 01, 2016, 02:08:40 PM

I'm no miner though but can't you use that hardware to mine certain alt coins as well or is it purposely just for bitcoin?  I've read somewhere like gridseed devices which can also mine other coins besides btc. if it works to some coins, that i think should be an option for those miners.

Yeah, I already thought I could be doing that, but its pretty unsatble and I would end up with a lot of worthless coins that I probably woudn't have any chance of selling
SFR10
Legendary

Activity: 3010
Merit: 3441

Crypto Swap Exchange

View Profile WWW
March 01, 2016, 02:49:22 PM

Right now, I'm waiting to get back into mining world, have been a while for me (since GPU mining days). The miners will surely lose value as well plus more efficient chips will be used on new generation miners and that will be my target (to purchase those) and get back.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 01, 2016, 07:36:19 PM

Right now, I'm waiting to get back into mining world, have been a while for me (since GPU mining days). The miners will surely lose value as well plus more efficient chips will be used on new generation miners and that will be my target (to purchase those) and get back.

The problem with waiting is there is always a newer generation coming.  You need cheap electricity is most important thing these day's.   It's hard to predict next gen prices, specs, what difficulty will be etc.

Most that say this never jump back in to mining.  Which is not a bad thing if you would not make profit.  But a lot say "next gen" and just always wait.  I suggest moving if its profitable... if not don't.   But not to just wait for new gear, there is always new gear.
talks_cheep
Legendary

Activity: 1036

View Profile
March 02, 2016, 03:39:00 AM

I'm doubling down with more miners.  Grin

techgeek

Activity: 826

View Profile
March 02, 2016, 06:47:34 AM

I'm doubling down with more miners.  Grin

Sounds like a bold move.

My next question to you then is, have you already broke even on your current mining gear?

I mean I know youre not paying for free electricity so if its dirt cheap are you in a foreign country to see the actual difference or no.

QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
March 02, 2016, 12:08:31 PM

My last move was "sell off the S5/SP20 mining farm".

My current move is "work on achieving RoI on my current Scrypt (Litecoin) mining farm" since my current hardware is making more money per day as a % of investment than anything currently available for SHA256 at my current electric rate (in part because the hardware is already partly paid for given how far back I bought it).

My next move is "WAIT" - to see what the 14/16nm generation has to offer on price, performance, efficiency, for both SHA256 AND Scrypt, before I decide what type of mining gear to invest in for my "VERY VERY low electric rate after I move" future.

There won't be a "next generation" after the 14/16nm full custom generation for YEARS, as Bitcoin ASIC will have finally caught up with semiconductor "state of the art" instead of the rapid generational catchup we've seen the last few years.

(No, the B-Eleven is not full custom, as is obvious from it's final specifications. The B-Sixteen might be).

If your electric is cheap enough, an S7 / Avalon 6 / B-Eleven will probably be profitable after the halfing - BARELY - but if you've not already achieved RoI or essentially have done so on those units by that point, you probably never will. I seriously doubt that Bitcoin price will double as a result of the halfing, much less double and then match diff increases.

The altcoins you can mine with SHA256 ASIC hardware is generally worth LESS than the Bitcoin you can mine with the same hardware, and even when it's worth more it's a short-term thing and only a HAIR more at best.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
CarrollFilms

Activity: 156
Merit: 100

Can I eat a Bitcoin?

View Profile
March 09, 2016, 06:49:47 AM

Sell some of my miners, take the "profit" and invest in Bitcoin itself.

I'm not running a huge farm, so I'm more than likely going to cut my losses prior to the Havlening. Won't sell off my miners until a few weeks after the Halving, just to see how much more difficult things get.

Back in my day Bitcoin used to cost $69
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
March 09, 2016, 07:47:15 PM

I'm not running a huge farm, so I'm more than likely going to cut my losses prior to the Havlening. Won't sell off my miners until a few weeks after the Halving, just to see how much more difficult things get.

I have a feeling in last few weeks pevious gen will take a decent jump down.  Current gen... not sure on it unless something else better comes out.

I would not wait till last minute.  I sold mine a bit back on last gen, and invested in coins.  So far I did much better then I would have mining older gear (I have normal not cheap electricity)
Jating

Activity: 2940
Merit: 809

View Profile
March 09, 2016, 08:30:00 PM

I have a feeling in last few weeks pevious gen will take a decent jump down.  Current gen... not sure on it unless something else better comes out.

I would not wait till last minute.  I sold mine a bit back on last gen, and invested in coins.  So far I did much better then I would have mining older gear (I have normal not cheap electricity)

I think the current 14 or 16 nm miners are already out. They are being "tested" by the manufacturers to mine a lot of coins.
European Central Bank
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1087

View Profile
March 09, 2016, 11:41:47 PM

So some guys here are depending on a halving related rise? Is there any indication that something like that's in the bag?
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
March 10, 2016, 07:28:02 AM

I think the current 14 or 16 nm miners are already out. They are being "tested" by the manufacturers to mine a lot of coins.

that's why those devices will be not profitable because they are already used, so they will come late as usual, or with the normal 1 month time frame, where you can do some profit and that's it

it's an endless cycle where only the producer win, not the consumer, yeah ok those with free electricity are the only exception, but i'm not counting those people, they are the minority
BTCMarketMovers

Activity: 12

View Profile
March 14, 2016, 11:02:44 AM

I'm considering purchasing a miner, however have heard a lot about this... However I'm not exactly sure what "it" is.

Could someone explain/point me to a thread that better explains what exactly "The halving" is?
alh
Legendary

Activity: 1843
Merit: 1050

View Profile
March 14, 2016, 07:09:12 PM

I'm considering purchasing a miner, however have heard a lot about this... However I'm not exactly sure what "it" is.

Could someone explain/point me to a thread that better explains what exactly "The halving" is?

You can actually read about this on Wikipedia.

In short, every 210,000 blocks, the "Block reward" contained within the block is reduced by half (i.e. the halving). At the present time, when a block is "solved" there are the transaction fees, plus a 25 BTC reward. This reward dominates the value of solving the block. Roughly in mid July, we should hit block 420,000. At that time, the reward will be reduced to 12.5 BTC. We have already had one "halving" back in 2012 when we hit block 210,000.
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
March 14, 2016, 10:30:34 PM

Most are not public on it though.  Only one I think you can buy right now is B11 and it is not the final perfected stats, it was pretty far off on what they made and what they showed on site.

All the other new ones still internal.  And we still don't know much about them.
wedatin

Activity: 58

View Profile
March 30, 2016, 09:10:40 PM

mining decred with gpu much better than mining directly, bitcoin and also do some trading on the 4xx-450 range

stick with gpu they can mine everything and there is always something profitable, especially with cheap electricity

I mine Ethereum and sell most to get bitcoin. It is much more profitable than mining with ASIC directly.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: