Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 04:44:04 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Cancel Transaction because of fee = 0?  (Read 797 times)
huberius (OP)

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 01, 2016, 08:57:14 AM

hi,

i have send a transaction without fees.
nothing is confirmed after 3 and a half days.

i am using bitcoin core version v0.12.0

can i cancel the transaction somehow?
i didn´t see an option for that in bitcoin core.

i would like to send it again with a proper fee.

thanks for help.....

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
xBreak

Activity: 13

View Profile
March 01, 2016, 12:45:07 PM

From what I know, it's not possible to cancel an unconfirmed transaction. The closest thing would be a dojble-spend attack. Seeing as you sent it without a fee, it will most likely be returned to your wallet within a few hours/days. Just be patient and it'll come. On the other hand, it could confirm after a while but your only option right now is to wait and be patient. Always remember the fee, I know I've sent a few transactions without a fee and it took forever to get the Bitcoin transaction confirmed. Could you possibly post a txid so we could try to rebroadcast it or just check on the status?
danim1130

Activity: 616
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 01, 2016, 12:54:34 PM

Could you possibly post a txid so we could try to rebroadcast it or just check on the status?
sharing tx id is good but I don't think rebroadcasting this transaction will help,I have seen many users complaining about their transaction sent with fees and its transaction without fees,it can confirmed when unconfirmed transaction on mempool confirmed first.
OP you just wait
winspiral
Legendary

Activity: 1778
Merit: 1026

Free WSPU2 Token or real dollars

View Profile WWW
March 01, 2016, 12:57:55 PM

hi,

i have send a transaction without fees.
nothing is confirmed after 3 and a half days.

i am using bitcoin core version v0.12.0

can i cancel the transaction somehow?
i didn´t see an option for that in bitcoin core.

i would like to send it again with a proper fee.

thanks for help.....

Be patient...even with low fees it lates sometimes a week or so...
without fees it can take longer.

Mickeyb

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

Move On !!!!!!

View Profile
March 01, 2016, 01:09:05 PM

From what I know, it's not possible to cancel an unconfirmed transaction. The closest thing would be a dojble-spend attack. Seeing as you sent it without a fee, it will most likely be returned to your wallet within a few hours/days. Just be patient and it'll come. On the other hand, it could confirm after a while but your only option right now is to wait and be patient. Always remember the fee, I know I've sent a few transactions without a fee and it took forever to get the Bitcoin transaction confirmed. Could you possibly post a txid so we could try to rebroadcast it or just check on the status?
From what I know , you can 'conflict' the transaction with a double-spend or something similar. Do discuss the details with shorena or someone who knows more about the technical part of bitcoin

PS, Rebroadcasting the transaction is counter-inituitive becuase of the attack on blockchain, its best to try double spend it with a very high fee
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1499

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
March 01, 2016, 01:28:38 PM

From what I know, it's not possible to cancel an unconfirmed transaction. The closest thing would be a dojble-spend attack. Seeing as you sent it without a fee, it will most likely be returned to your wallet within a few hours/days.

No! OP is using bitcoin core. Core does not "return" transactions, it constantly rebroadcasts them if they have been created with the wallet.

Just be patient and it'll come. On the other hand, it could confirm after a while but your only option right now is to wait and be patient. Always remember the fee, I know I've sent a few transactions without a fee and it took forever to get the Bitcoin transaction confirmed. Could you possibly post a txid so we could try to rebroadcast it or just check on the status?

A TX ID would be nice, yes. It will most likely show a low fee though.

@huberius you have two options

#1 keep core open and hope the TX will get picked up. This will happen eventually, but it might take days or weeks. Its difficult to say without knowing the details of the TX. It might be possible to get a confirmation even without fee, depending on the priority.

#2 remove the unconfirmed transaction from your wallet (more below) and wait another 24 hours so the rest of the network had a chance to forget about it. Create it again, this time with a higher fee.

To remove the TX from your wallet (assuming you dont run a pruned node!)

#1 close core
#2 make sure its closed
#3 start it with -zapwallettxes (make sure the spelling is correct), for windows you do this by:
#3.1 opening run (win + r)
#3.2 enter: c:\Program Files\Bitcoin\bitcoin-qt.exe -zapwallettxes (modify path if needed)
#3.3 confirm with ok
#4 core will forget about all transactions and rescan the local blockchain. This will re add all confirmed transactions, but not the unconfirmed one.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
Mickeyb

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

Move On !!!!!!

View Profile
March 01, 2016, 01:31:56 PM

#2 remove the unconfirmed transaction from your wallet (more below) and wait another 24 hours so the rest of the network had a chance to forget about it.
Something I don't understand, doesn't it take anywhere from 2-3 days to more than a week for the network to 'forget' the transaction?
--Encrypted--
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1007

hee-ho.

View Profile
March 01, 2016, 01:49:11 PM

#2 remove the unconfirmed transaction from your wallet (more below) and wait another 24 hours so the rest of the network had a chance to forget about it.
Something I don't understand, doesn't it take anywhere from 2-3 days to more than a week for the network to 'forget' the transaction?

core automatically rebroadcast existing unconfirmed transactions every 30 minutes or so. that means the network will not be able to forget the tx because core keep reminding nodes about the tx. so you'll need to close core until the tx gets dropped or remove the unconfirmed transactions from the client.
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1499

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
March 01, 2016, 02:19:58 PM

core automatically rebroadcast existing unconfirmed transactions every 30 minutes or so. that means the network will not be able to forget the tx because core keep reminding nodes about the tx. so you'll need to close core until the tx gets dropped or remove the unconfirmed transactions from the client.

For one this ^ and the other thing is that with 0.12 there is a certain time after which TX get dropped from mempool and the default 300 MB limit (which is easily hit with the current number of TX). Id have to look it up, but usually you get a pretty high "forgotten" rate after 24 hours, because not all nodes run 24 hours (e.g. most home run nodes are rebooted after that time).

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
huberius (OP)

View Profile
March 01, 2016, 02:21:39 PM

hi,

thanks for the quick help.

the transaction id is: a4a2f6f82b1fe40732af81f13cc62ea315bfb9eb3d20b0a804cbef9d0e260f45-000
i can´t find anything on blockchain.
i am not sure if it´s safe to post the bitcoin address here.

if i follow the steps shorena posted - should i safe the wallet somewhere before?

@encrypted  how long u guess until the blockchain forgets the transaction?
hours? days? weeks?

does it make sense to delete the transaction and wait until blockchain forgets it to send a new transfer?
how long could the transaction without fee take? days? weeks? months?

and also i would like to know if the issue with fees is new!?
i traded some bitcoins 4-5 years ago. i don´t remember fees being an issue back then.

cr1776
Legendary

Activity: 4032
Merit: 1299

View Profile
March 01, 2016, 02:28:56 PM

hi,

the transaction id is: a4a2f6f82b1fe40732af81f13cc62ea315bfb9eb3d20b0a804cbef9d0e260f45-000

if i follow the steps shorena posted - should i safe the wallet somewhere before?

hours? days? weeks?

does it make sense to delete the transaction and wait until blockchain forgets it to send a new transfer?

i traded some bitcoins 4-5 years ago. i don´t remember fees being an issue back then.

I don't see it on blockr.io either.  It NEVER hurts to have a backup copy of your wallet (stored in a secure location of course).

If you are asking how long until "blockchain.INFO" forgets about the transaction, it looks like they rejected it anyway.

huberius (OP)

View Profile
March 01, 2016, 02:33:41 PM

so i safe my wallet and follow the steps shorena posted;
then i have to wait approximately 24 hours until the blockchain forgets the transcation.

and the bitcoins will appaer in my wallet again?
is this right?

--Encrypted--
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1007

hee-ho.

View Profile
March 01, 2016, 02:38:23 PM
Last edit: March 01, 2016, 02:53:52 PM by --Encrypted--

hi,

don't worry the only thing that's not safe to post is your wallet seed and private keys of your addresses. it's safe to post tx ids and address in public.

yes. always back up your wallet.dat before doing anything to it.

hours? days? weeks?
that depends. if no one else is rebroadcasting your tx then it should be forgotten in a day or two.

does it make sense to delete the transaction and wait until blockchain forgets it to send a new transfer
yes. that's exactly what you should do.

depends on it's priority and the state of the mempool. shouldn't take more than few weeks if you keep rebroadcasting it.

well the issue is not exactly the fee. it's just there's a huge number of unconfirmed transactions waiting in the mempool since yesterday and to get past that quickly you'll need to pay a higher fee.

so i safe my wallet and follow the steps shorena posted;
then i have to wait approximately 24 hours until the blockchain forgets the transcation.

and the bitcoins will appaer in my wallet again?
is this right?

right.

edit:
looks like your tx got dropped already.

edit2:

For one this ^ and the other thing is that with 0.12 there is a certain time after which TX get dropped from mempool and the default 300 MB limit (which is easily hit with the current number of TX). Id have to look it up, but usually you get a pretty high "forgotten" rate after 24 hours, because not all nodes run 24 hours (e.g. most home run nodes are rebooted after that time).

oh yeah. the memory pool limiting. didn't understand how that works until I read this.
huberius (OP)

View Profile
March 01, 2016, 03:34:44 PM

the internet is a great thing  Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

thank u all!

i did the steps as shorena described it and the bitcoins are back in my wallet again.

hope this thread will help others who have the same problem.
cr1776
Legendary

Activity: 4032
Merit: 1299

View Profile
March 01, 2016, 08:47:27 PM

the internet is a great thing  Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

thank u all!

i did the steps as shorena described it and the bitcoins are back in my wallet again.

hope this thread will help others who have the same problem.

Great.  Shorena gave good advice!

Just make sure you keep backing up your wallet, and if you are sending from Bitcoin Core, make sure it has been running for a little while so it can get the status of the network and calculate the correct fees to have the transaction go smoothly.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: