Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 12:21:29 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 2013-01-23 virtual-strategy-GoGreenSolar Provides Bitcoin Access to Solar Energy  (Read 2082 times)
Akka (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 23, 2013, 02:00:18 PM
Last edit: January 23, 2013, 06:46:45 PM by Akka

GoGreenSolar.com Provides Bitcoin Access to Solar Energy

GoGreenSolar.com is the first PV company to adopt Bitcoin, an innovative payment system, for the residential and commercial solar PV market.

GoGreenSolar.com has just unveiled a new payment system it believes will make solar PV energy even more accessible for both residential and business users. The California-based solar solutions provider has recently added open source digital currency, Bitcoin, to its growing list of online payment options – a line-up that already included MasterCard, Visa, AmEx, Discover, and PayPal.

....(snip)....

This recent announcement represents the first time a solar energy provider has allowed customers to purchase new products using the increasingly popular Bitcoin payment system. GoGreenSolar.com believes the online P2P technology will become more mainstream amongst those who champion open source principles, equality, and sustainability.

According to GoGreenSolar.com CEO, Deep Patel, “Solar energy is about decentralized, micro-generation. No one owns the sun, yet everyone benefits from it.” He adds, “We wanted a payment delivery system that mirrored this open, distributed philosophy – no central entity controls the Bitcoin economy, and everyone can benefit from its use.”

So now miners in California can pay their Electricity for Bitcoin mining with the bitcoins they mine. The circle closes Cheesy

Hope many of them will do this.

Full article: http://www.virtual-strategy.com/2013/01/23/gogreensolarcom-provides-bitcoin-access-solar-energy

All previous versions of currency will no longer be supported as of this update
"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
January 23, 2013, 03:54:42 PM

Great news!

niko

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
January 23, 2013, 06:39:35 PM

I just tried placing an order, there is no bitcoin option at the checkout. Google wallet, PayPal, or credit cards.

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
Akka (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 23, 2013, 06:42:19 PM

I just tried placing an order, there is no bitcoin option at the checkout. Google wallet, PayPal, or credit cards.

But:

Maybe just not ready yet?

niko

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
January 23, 2013, 06:55:39 PM

But:

Maybe just not ready yet?

Obviously not, and it's a big turn-off. Why put the logo and release the article when people cannot pay with bitcoins?  Someone in the company simply boosting up this rally for personal gains?

Many merchants are claimed to accept bitcoin, but in reality they don't. I placed an order with babbletees, chose bitcoin option, checked out, and never heard back from them about how to make the payment. Sent three emails, nothing.

I hope gogreensolar proves to be different, and follows through ASAP, because this does not look good.

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
Akka (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 23, 2013, 07:00:48 PM

Well:

Currently our shopping engine does not support Bitcoin checkout, so please email or call us with your order request and your Bitcoin payment can be  made one of two ways:

1. We can send you a Bitcoin payment link through MtGox

2. We can send you a Bitcoin payment address, but this will incur a 2% processing and transaction fee.

Thank you for supporting Bitcoin and solar energy!

I thought they would go through Bitpay.

Strange. Rushed Press release?

Spaceman_Spiff
Legendary

Activity: 1638

₪``Campaign Manager´´₪

View Profile
January 23, 2013, 07:57:16 PM

great news!
Websites like this and bitcoinstore is what I like to see (and Wordpress obviously).
I even prefer them when they just have bitcoin as one of the options, that way "normal" people see bitcoin is a real alternative.
Akka (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 25, 2013, 09:31:49 PM

Second Press Release for Green Solar. This Time on altenergymag.com:

http://www.altenergymag.com/news/2013/01/25/gogreensolarcom-provides-bitcoin-access-to-solar-energy-/27973

kjlimo
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1031

View Profile WWW
January 25, 2013, 11:38:48 PM

Just a thought before we all scream scam...

Perhaps their partnership with bitcoinstore.com is why they released this.

Bitcoinstore.com may be an avenue for merchants to partner and "accept" bitcoin.

For all we know, this company may believe bitcoinstore.com is the only way to accept bitcoin!

I'm on my phone, but hopefully someone can post a link to the forum for bitcoinstore.com where a couple days??? Ago bitcoinstore.com announced you can now buy solar panels.

This can't be a coincidence, so I'm guessing the two are related to the same solar panel company.

Now can someone give me the numbers on why I would buy one?

Is this something that will reduce my electric bill?  What's the break even period?

Thanks!

In case you need this, I pay 6.5 cents per killowathour or something...

Coinbase for selling BTCs
Fold for spending BTCs
PM me with any questions on these sites/apps!  http://www.montybitcoin.com

or Vircurex for trading alt cryptocurrencies like DOGEs
CoinNinja for exploring the blockchain.
kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
January 25, 2013, 11:45:35 PM

Bitcoinstore.com may be an avenue for merchants to partner and "accept" bitcoin.

For all we know, this company may believe bitcoinstore.com is the only way to accept bitcoin!

I'm on my phone, but hopefully someone can post a link to the forum for bitcoinstore.com where a couple days??? Ago bitcoinstore.com announced you can now buy solar panels.

This can't be a coincidence, so I'm guessing the two are related to the same solar panel company.

Is this something that will reduce my electric bill?  What's the break even period?

Thanks!

Can't find solar panels on bitcoinstore.

kjlimo
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 26, 2013, 01:30:10 PM

Thanks!

Can't find solar panels on bitcoinstore.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=122190.msg1473259#msg1473259

I agree I haven't been able to find solar panels on the site yet.  Perhaps they are working on it?  I'll ask in their thread.

Fold for spending BTCs

kjlimo
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 26, 2013, 01:36:55 PM

OK,

I'm thinking I misread a post thinking that bitcoinstore.com would be selling these solar panels.  Sorry for posting while at the bar!

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=122190.msg1480906#msg1480906

I've asked a clarifying question in the bitcoinstore.com thread. 

In the meantime, hopefully people can find out directly from the company.

Lastly, I'm still curious the the break even period would be for Ohio, USA at 6.5 cents per Killowatt hour.

Fold for spending BTCs

vokain
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1019

View Profile WWW
January 27, 2013, 07:46:53 PM

OK,

I'm thinking I misread a post thinking that bitcoinstore.com would be selling these solar panels.  Sorry for posting while at the bar!

Lastly, I'm still curious the the break even period would be for Ohio, USA at 6.5 cents per Killowatt hour.

Wouldn't it only go down as more and more homeowners front the cost of solar power production on their own and decide to extract their energy from the sun?
kjlimo
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 27, 2013, 08:06:16 PM

OK,

Wouldn't it only go down as more and more homeowners front the cost of solar power production on their own and decide to extract their energy from the sun?

I'm confused, are you saying the break even period would go down as more people buy these and their prices goes down (because the company has cashed in on their technology and reduce prices of panels)?  b/c obviously if this happens, that would be true.

OR are you saying the price of my cents per killowatt hour would go down because people start switching to solar panels?  Cuz I would think that would be true, too, but who knows if the electric companies have fixed costs that actually increase my killowatt hour rate as people drop off the "grid" literrally... PUN intended!

OR, are you saying something else?

either way, I'm still curious what the break even point would be for Ohio, USA.  My wife seems to think we don't get enough sun...

thoughts?

Fold for spending BTCs

vokain
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1019

View Profile WWW
January 28, 2013, 12:55:05 PM

I'm confused, are you saying the break even period would go down as more people buy these and their prices goes down (because the company has cashed in on their technology and reduce prices of panels)?  b/c obviously if this happens, that would be true.

OR are you saying the price of my cents per killowatt hour would go down because people start switching to solar panels?  Cuz I would think that would be true, too, but who knows if the electric companies have fixed costs that actually increase my killowatt hour rate as people drop off the "grid" literrally... PUN intended!

OR, are you saying something else?

either way, I'm still curious what the break even point would be for Ohio, USA.  My wife seems to think we don't get enough sun...

thoughts?

I was thinking about the pressure you described in your second paragraph, but I overlooked the point you draw in your first paragraph too. I don't see a high demand for solar hardware immediately pulling prices down though. More like a in a generation or two down. Personally I think most people should wait off on solar since its not mature enough for noncommercial enterprises like the homeowners, especially in a suboptimal locale like the Midwest. I think here we'd benefit from panels that can follow the sun. Either way, things will get cheaper and cheaper as the tech gets better. Knowing that I'd wait for a highly involved and not very upgradeable venture like installing solar panels would be, versus say, computer components. Then again, I'm not familiar of where we are on the marginal benefit curve of solar tech development however.
jgarzik
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1091

View Profile
January 28, 2013, 03:47:46 PM

Any follow-up on this?  I was considering an order.

Jeff Garzik, Bloq CEO, former bitcoin core dev team; opinions are my own.
Visit bloq.com / metronome.io
Donations / tip jar: 1BrufViLKnSWtuWGkryPsKsxonV2NQ7Tcj
commonancestor

Activity: 58
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 28, 2013, 06:46:00 PM

http://www.gogreensolar.com/pages/bitcoin-for-solar-energy
kjlimo
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 02, 2013, 10:37:04 PM

http://www.gogreensolar.com/pages/bitcoin-for-solar-energy

I think I read that e-mail orders are the only way to get the bitcoin payment option.

As mentioned in this FAQ, they are working to get the bitcoin payment option automated.

Fold for spending BTCs

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: