Bitcoin Forum
May 27, 2024, 09:21:05 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Best GPU's For Mining?  (Read 74383 times)
Ambros

Activity: 653
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 01, 2016, 07:13:01 AM

Is there a specific brand of RX 480 that is outperforming the rest? I am interested in getting a Sapphire, Gigabyte or MSI though still not sure whether to get 4GB or 8GB.
The best cards for mining are cheap reference ones. Also I like red devils 480 8gb
The reference and Red Devils are both low on stocks on Amazon. It is interesting to see the reference cards selling for $20-30 more than the ones with 3rd party cooling.

IMHO it's because there are good custom bios for reference cards and they are easy to find and used.
Seast

Activity: 77
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 02, 2016, 05:38:04 PM

Is there a specific brand of RX 480 that is outperforming the rest? I am interested in getting a Sapphire, Gigabyte or MSI though still not sure whether to get 4GB or 8GB.
The best cards for mining are cheap reference ones. Also I like red devils 480 8gb
The reference and Red Devils are both low on stocks on Amazon. It is interesting to see the reference cards selling for $20-30 more than the ones with 3rd party cooling.

IMHO it's because there are good custom bios for reference cards and they are easy to find and used.

You can also do some mod yourself. There are many instruction on how to do that. It is not so difficult.
Tmdz

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 02, 2016, 06:18:31 PM

All you do is use 1500 straps on the higher freqs.

470/480 seem to be getting good hashes at 28mh and 30mh with modded bios.

The only potential problem I see is that some sapphire cards are starting to come with a bios that has settings for 2 types of memory so they can not be edited in the Polaris editor.
EastSound

Activity: 1377
Merit: 268

View Profile
October 04, 2016, 05:32:52 PM

All you do is use 1500 straps on the higher freqs.

470/480 seem to be getting good hashes at 28mh and 30mh with modded bios.

The only potential problem I see is that some sapphire cards are starting to come with a bios that has settings for 2 types of memory so they can not be edited in the Polaris editor.

If you know the type of the memory, can you still do the edit. I heard you can do that on the Tahiti cards.
BTC_ISTANBUL

Activity: 331
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 05, 2016, 06:28:39 AM

If you mod the Bios they are out of warranty.On the other hand you get 25-26 Mh at standard and 29-30 Mh at modded Bios.It is a preferance.
Kysduckson

Activity: 17

View Profile
October 11, 2016, 04:52:59 PM

If you mod the Bios they are out of warranty.On the other hand you get 25-26 Mh at standard and 29-30 Mh at modded Bios.It is a preferance.

If you have dual bios, it is quite safe to mod the bios. If anything wrong, you can just flip the switch.
JeanMcCoy

Activity: 363

View Profile
October 11, 2016, 08:04:56 PM

Indeed I do not recommend you to mod the bios because its dangerous and you will void your warranty and it can due to that provide you some big problems too.
I would not do this.
Ambros

View Profile
October 11, 2016, 08:36:47 PM

Indeed I do not recommend you to mod the bios because its dangerous and you will void your warranty and it can due to that provide you some big problems too.
I would not do this.

No one will discover that the bios has been modded if u restore it before sending it back Wink
IMHO they will not even check
Cryptozillah

Activity: 687
Merit: 502

View Profile
October 11, 2016, 11:14:32 PM

I had problems with a RX 470 that was strange and crappy from day one.
I flashed the card and later on it just died.

I returned it with flashed bios and got a new one the same day.
If a gpu is dead it is dead, nobody will put hours of work to figure out what bios is on the card.
CoinsRoyal

Activity: 350

View Profile
October 12, 2016, 03:15:58 PM

It is nice indeed but the fact that you voiding your warrantly makes it for me not an option.
I will take a look into it but I think that I'm not gonna do it honestly.
Raja_MBZ
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1505

View Profile
October 12, 2016, 04:37:15 PM

I'm good with my XFX RX 480 8 GB cards. 3 GPU's mining at 80 Mh/s overall with 60 W power draw of each according to GPU-Z (of course I know that it's far from being accurate). Not much of overclocking done because I don't want my any of the GPU's to die or to lower the life duration.
ElpadroBitcoin

Activity: 336

View Profile
October 13, 2016, 03:49:20 AM

I'm good with my XFX RX 480 8 GB cards. 3 GPU's mining at 80 Mh/s overall with 60 W power draw of each according to GPU-Z (of course I know that it's far from being accurate). Not much of overclocking done because I don't want my any of the GPU's to die or to lower the life duration.

You are doing okay and I think that is pretty nice, you also should not overclock it because it can get you into trouble and its also that its really lowers the life duration significantly.
These cards are by the way pretty powerful so that is nice.
Mzie

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 13, 2016, 07:17:49 AM

The best gpu for scrypt mining is the Asus strix r7 370 4gb. This bad boy is power efficient. It draws 110w and gives you 15mh (17mh OC) of ethereum mining. Right now you can get them with a $30rebate brand new. https://www.amazon.com/Radeon-Overclocked-256-bit-DisplayPort-Graphics/dp/B00ZQ3QVJK/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&qid=1471500653&sr=8-1&keywords=asus+strix+4gb&linkCode=ll1&tag=technology304304-20&linkId=15ea6672c1c998b748dfe71d0d8ab041

I have 5 of these gpu´s in my rig. To power my rig I chose Evga 1000w Gold with 6 pcie vga cables.

Very important to get a real good power supply.

It is better to use the RX 470 to mine the Ethereum. The price is lower than the 480 and has similar mining performance.

I heard that Eliovp has modified the RX 480 BIOS and can mine the Ethereum at over 31 MH/s. But he has not made one for 470 yet.

Some people has made some BIOS mod for the 470. It seems the 470 can achieve similar results as the 480.

there are modes for the 480x also which will give you more hashes if care fully done. the price difference matters after an extend!!!

yea also you can mod it, there is a video on youtube of one guy who gets 29mh/s on his R470
Seast

Activity: 77

View Profile
October 15, 2016, 04:11:45 PM

The best gpu for scrypt mining is the Asus strix r7 370 4gb. This bad boy is power efficient. It draws 110w and gives you 15mh (17mh OC) of ethereum mining. Right now you can get them with a $30rebate brand new. https://www.amazon.com/Radeon-Overclocked-256-bit-DisplayPort-Graphics/dp/B00ZQ3QVJK/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&qid=1471500653&sr=8-1&keywords=asus+strix+4gb&linkCode=ll1&tag=technology304304-20&linkId=15ea6672c1c998b748dfe71d0d8ab041

I have 5 of these gpu´s in my rig. To power my rig I chose Evga 1000w Gold with 6 pcie vga cables.

Very important to get a real good power supply.

It is better to use the RX 470 to mine the Ethereum. The price is lower than the 480 and has similar mining performance.

I heard that Eliovp has modified the RX 480 BIOS and can mine the Ethereum at over 31 MH/s. But he has not made one for 470 yet.

Some people has made some BIOS mod for the 470. It seems the 470 can achieve similar results as the 480.

there are modes for the 480x also which will give you more hashes if care fully done. the price difference matters after an extend!!!

yea also you can mod it, there is a video on youtube of one guy who gets 29mh/s on his R470

He must have a very good RX 470 with good quality memory. Not many 470 can reach that even after mod.
Za1n
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1011

View Profile
October 15, 2016, 06:37:46 PM

You are doing okay and I think that is pretty nice, you also should not overclock it because it can get you into trouble and its also that its really lowers the life duration significantly.

What is to get into trouble for overclocking? If it doesn't work revert, it not like the overclocking police are going to come to your house, lol.

Also, it is not the overclocking that will lower a devices lifespan, it is the heat and/or too much voltage. If you can overclock a little, and in many cases with the BIOS mods, under-volt at the same time, you will not only lower the voltages going through your card, you will significantly lower the heat being generated thus prolonging the lifespan of your card.

As with all things moderation is the key, but for me I can pull a fresh RX 470 out of the box and get 22-23 MHash/s out of it with it reading about 70-80 Watts on GPUz and ~120 W at the wall. I can apply a simple BIOS mod, lower the default GPU clock, increase the memory clock, and reduce voltages a bit and up my hashrate to ~27-28 MHash/s while at the same time reducing my GPUz reading to around 50-60W and at the wall to under 100 W.

There is nothing wrong, illegal, or immoral about this. It is simply re-tuning the GPU for a different purpose (mining) than what it was tuned for at the factory (gaming). Considering these cards have the lowest common denominator for settings so that the absolute worst binned part will perform ok, in most cases there are significant improvements to be made over factory defaults.
Ambros

View Profile
October 17, 2016, 09:01:06 AM

What is to get into trouble for overclocking? If it doesn't work revert, it not like the overclocking police are going to come to your house, lol.

Also, it is not the overclocking that will lower a devices lifespan, it is the heat and/or too much voltage. If you can overclock a little, and in many cases with the BIOS mods, under-volt at the same time, you will not only lower the voltages going through your card, you will significantly lower the heat being generated thus prolonging the lifespan of your card.

As with all things moderation is the key, but for me I can pull a fresh RX 470 out of the box and get 22-23 MHash/s out of it with it reading about 70-80 Watts on GPUz and ~120 W at the wall. I can apply a simple BIOS mod, lower the default GPU clock, increase the memory clock, and reduce voltages a bit and up my hashrate to ~27-28 MHash/s while at the same time reducing my GPUz reading to around 50-60W and at the wall to under 100 W.

There is nothing wrong, illegal, or immoral about this. It is simply re-tuning the GPU for a different purpose (mining) than what it was tuned for at the factory (gaming). Considering these cards have the lowest common denominator for settings so that the absolute worst binned part will perform ok, in most cases there are significant improvements to be made over factory defaults.

Nice post, very clear !
Your wattage are calculated during dual mining or solo ethereum?
Satlite

Activity: 53
Merit: 1

View Profile
October 20, 2016, 03:35:34 PM

Well said. The AMD RX 470 and 480 is the best for the Ethereum mining at the moment. No cards can beat that.
radhwane

Activity: 696

View Profile
October 20, 2016, 09:57:14 PM

i just have a question please is there any program for GPU solo mining for an altcoin with algo x13
i try sgminer on windows but didnt work for me i have AMD readon HD 7650M
should i create pool mining for this coin ? any solution please

vicvip

Activity: 18

View Profile
November 11, 2016, 01:40:14 AM

I'm planning to create a new rig with few GPUs.
I can get some decent price for XFX Radeon RX 480. I'm pretty sure that this has been asked a few times, but I couldn't remember:

Should I purchase XFX Radeon RX 480 4GB or 8GB? Will the memory affect hashrate?

dumpida

Activity: 722

View Profile
November 19, 2016, 05:36:15 PM

I'm planning to create a new rig with few GPUs.
I can get some decent price for XFX Radeon RX 480. I'm pretty sure that this has been asked a few times, but I couldn't remember:

Should I purchase XFX Radeon RX 480 4GB or 8GB? Will the memory affect hashrate?

For the ZCash mining, the memory speed is very important. So you have to increase the clock or change the timing.

▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄████████████ ▀███████▄
▄█████████████   ▀██████▄
▄█████████ ▀████▄   ▀█████▄
██████████  ██████▄   █████
█████ ▀████▄ ▀██████▄ █████
█████   ▀████▄ ▀ ██████████
▀█████▄   ▀████▄ █████████▀
▀██████▄   █████████████▀
▀███████▄ ████████████▀
▀█████████████████▀