Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 02:13:03 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: i heard someone attacked bitcoin network by lot of transaction...?  (Read 2714 times)
watashi-kokoto

Activity: 682
Merit: 269

View Profile
March 12, 2016, 10:07:03 PM
Merited by ABCbits (1)

But before this discussion there was no real spam that was blocked by the 1MB limit. Or was there?

The spam was blocked, there used to be 750 KB limit.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
nioc
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1008

View Profile
March 12, 2016, 11:00:05 PM

But before this discussion there was no real spam that was blocked by the 1MB limit. Or was there?

Yes some miners and pools used to run the 750kb limit and until very recently a few did.  Yet until recently that limit was rarely if ever met so how could it prevent spam.  BTW what is spam?  Considering your definition is most likely different than mine, please answer in a way that could be understood by the censorship resistant btc protocol.
SebastianJu
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 1082

Legendary Escrow Service - Tip Jar in Profile

View Profile WWW
March 13, 2016, 09:38:23 AM
Merited by ABCbits (3)

The 750KB limit was the standard soft limit implemented in the core wallet. That limit was only met shortly before the 1MB blocksize increase discussion came up. And it was simply changed by the miners because 1MB blocks were possible all the time.

But I did not hear about spam being blocked because of the 1mb block restriction (includin 750kB soft limit) before the blocks were nearly full.

Please ALWAYS contact me through bitcointalk pm before sending someone coins.
BitsandBites

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 13, 2016, 08:33:31 PM

I would hardly call that an attack. Nevertheless, I hope nothing majorly bad happens.
Just pay a higher fee and you're basically good to go.
SebastianJu
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 1082

Legendary Escrow Service - Tip Jar in Profile

View Profile WWW
March 13, 2016, 10:21:45 PM

I would hardly call that an attack. Nevertheless, I hope nothing majorly bad happens.
Just pay a higher fee and you're basically good to go.

It is an attack since the sole purpose is not to misuse the chain but the attack itself.

Well, we don't need attacks anymore to have trouble getting transactions confirmed. There are hours a day where the blocks are full all the time nearly. Even with high fee it takes a couple of blocks then. And imagine what will happen if everyone pays high fees. Right... we would have the same situation. Unconfirming transactions, only all transactions getting included and that are waiting have way higher fees. No, higher fees are no solution at all. It is survival of the fittest only. And a payment network that plays the survival of the fittest game is surely a payment network that won't survive in the survival of the fittest against cheaper alternatives.

Well, we are not there yet. But the result is clear. Not linearly rising fees, exponentially rising fees is what has to come when nothing happens like bigger blocks or segwit implemented with a timeframe of making an effect that is considerable.

Please ALWAYS contact me through bitcointalk pm before sending someone coins.
bamsterdam

Activity: 453
Merit: 261

Look Morty magic internet money

View Profile
March 22, 2016, 09:49:46 PM

I paid the highest fee I've ever paid to get a transaction through.  This was almost 12 hours ago.  It's sitting there pending, along with the minimum fee and recommended fee transactions I've done since two days ago.
Did you maybe include spare coins that were left in an adress you sent before? I have read that this will be a problem because the spare coins are not confirmed because the first transaction is not confirmed. So another transaction basing on that will only get confirmations when the first transaction gets one.
We'd have to see the transaction in order to say anything about that, maybe it's an unconfirmed input, maybe the transaction size is just quite high, there are alot of options which could prevent a transaction from being included in a block despite paying a "highest fee [you've] ever paid".

could it be that I have this problem?

I had send 0.1 btc from my wallet to my bittrex account but didn't arrive there also not in the pending list. But it had transaction details and 0.1 btc was from my balance.
Then I loaded another copy of my wallet.dat and let it sync and the transaction was gone Huh I also had my old balance.. so I send another 0.1 to bittrex and this time it did came in the pending list of bittrex.
It was taking so long(still pending) that I tried sending 1 btc, that was confirmed pretty quick so immediately I send another 4 btc but that is still pending since 5+ hours. At first the transaction details said how may nodes its been send to but now is says only 0 confirmations? so now both of my transactions only say 0 confirmations.

I paid the recommended fee.

is this normal since the full blocks? Or did something went wrong with my first transaction that vanished?

Thanks

rizzlarolla

Activity: 812
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 22, 2016, 10:20:09 PM
Last edit: March 22, 2016, 10:53:04 PM by rizzlarolla

I paid the highest fee I've ever paid to get a transaction through.  This was almost 12 hours ago.  It's sitting there pending, along with the minimum fee and recommended fee transactions I've done since two days ago.
Did you maybe include spare coins that were left in an adress you sent before? I have read that this will be a problem because the spare coins are not confirmed because the first transaction is not confirmed. So another transaction basing on that will only get confirmations when the first transaction gets one.
We'd have to see the transaction in order to say anything about that, maybe it's an unconfirmed input, maybe the transaction size is just quite high, there are alot of options which could prevent a transaction from being included in a block despite paying a "highest fee [you've] ever paid".

could it be that I have this problem?

I had send 0.1 btc from my wallet to my bittrex account but didn't arrive there also not in the pending list. But it had transaction details and 0.1 btc was from my balance.
Then I loaded another copy of my wallet.dat and let it sync and the transaction was gone Huh I also had my old balance.. so I send another 0.1 to bittrex and this time it did came in the pending list of bittrex.
It was taking so long(still pending) that I tried sending 1 btc, that was confirmed pretty quick so immediately I send another 4 btc but that is still pending since 5+ hours. At first the transaction details said how may nodes its been send to but now is says only 0 confirmations? so now both of my transactions only say 0 confirmations.

I paid the recommended fee.

is this normal since the full blocks? Or did something went wrong with my first transaction that vanished?

Thanks

There should have been space in a block for you in 5 hours.
Are you sure the fee was correct?

You need to post tx details, if you want people to look.

bamsterdam,  I don't think that is enough fee to be considered standard.  - v v v -
bamsterdam

Activity: 453
Merit: 261

Look Morty magic internet money

View Profile
March 22, 2016, 10:27:05 PM

just now my 0.1btc has two confirmations Grin

So I think I just have to be patient for a little longer.

I paid 1847 satoshis for my 3.93 btc went automatically
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: