Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 07:36:14 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Electrum server question  (Read 1404 times)
RealBitcoin (OP)

Activity: 854
Merit: 1009

JAYCE DESIGNS - http://bit.ly/1tmgIwK

View Profile
March 02, 2016, 06:32:22 PM
Last edit: March 04, 2016, 09:26:09 PM by RealBitcoin

Does the electrum server i connect to see's all the addresses in my wallet (currently generated+ change address), even if they didnt had a transaction?

Does the electrum server i connect to knows the master pub key of my wallet?

Does the electrum server i connect to knows all the previous transaction ID's I did with  my wallet?

Does the electrum server i connect to knows all the labels I inserted next to the addresses and transactions, or is that only local to the wallet?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
shsmith

Activity: 34
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 05, 2016, 04:20:28 PM

Does the electrum server i connect to see's all the addresses in my wallet (currently generated+ change address), even if they didnt had a transaction?
The electrum client asks the server to fetch the balance and TX history for each address you see in your Addresses tab. 
It has to do this otherwise you don't know if there are any transactions or not.
Normal electrum servers do not log this activity.
The only thing they log is the count of how many addresses you requested data for.

Does the electrum server i connect to knows the master pub key of my wallet?
No, that is kept in client and not sent to any server.
The servers never get your seed or private keys, so it is impossible for a server to steal your coins.

Does the electrum server i connect to knows all the previous transaction ID's I did with  my wallet?
Yes, that is part of the history for each address.
You get that from servers, so the server you get it from has to know.

Does the electrum server i connect to knows all the labels I inserted next to the addresses and transactions, or is that only local to the wallet?
No, those do not go to electrum servers.
If you enable "label sync" then labels are sent to a label sync server.
twister

Activity: 672
Merit: 501

View Profile WWW
March 05, 2016, 06:13:33 PM

Yes, as explained above, electrum sends the request to update the balance of all the address in a wallet, this is what sync does, so server does knows all the addresses of a wallet. And maybe some of the servers do keep logs, there's no way to know for sure whether they do or not, I think this might be the reason why during a privacy rating review recently, electrum had a very low rating as far as privacy is concerned.

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

Get Free Bitcoin Now!
  ¦¯¦¦¯¦    ¦¯¦¦¯¦    ¦¯¦¦¯¦    ¦¯¦¦¯¦   
0.8%-1% House Edge
[/
RealBitcoin (OP)

View Profile
March 06, 2016, 03:53:57 AM

The electrum client asks the server to fetch the balance and TX history for each address you see in your Addresses tab. 
It has to do this otherwise you don't know if there are any transactions or not.
Normal electrum servers do not log this activity.
The only thing they log is the count of how many addresses you requested data for.

I see, then its better to have multiple wallets for different roles, otherwise the wallet leaks out privacy info.

No, that is kept in client and not sent to any server.
The servers never get your seed or private keys, so it is impossible for a server to steal your coins.

The priv key and seed i`m not worried about , its a watch only wallet, i was worried about master pub key.

Yes, as explained above, electrum sends the request to update the balance of all the address in a wallet, this is what sync does, so server does knows all the addresses of a wallet. And maybe some of the servers do keep logs, there's no way to know for sure whether they do or not, I think this might be the reason why during a privacy rating review recently, electrum had a very low rating as far as privacy is concerned.

I think it has the best privacy if you know how to use it.

RealBitcoin (OP)

View Profile
March 09, 2016, 06:56:18 PM

1) Is the wallet name sent to the electrum server?

2) When I add exchange rate plugin, does the amount in my balance gets sent to another website to calculate the respective value in fiat? Or only the price is fetched and then it's multiplied/divided by the balance.

In other words, does any service other than the electrum server know how much bitcoin the wallet has in the balance?

shsmith

Activity: 34
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 12, 2016, 04:41:55 PM

1) Is the wallet name sent to the electrum server?

2) When I add exchange rate plugin, does the amount in my balance gets sent to another website to calculate the respective value in fiat? Or only the price is fetched and then it's multiplied/divided by the balance.

In other words, does any service other than the electrum server know how much bitcoin the wallet has in the balance?

The electrum servers don't know anything about your wallet name or wallet file.
The electrum client sends a request for each address it is interested in (i.e the addresses you see in the Addresses tab).
The server replies with the transaction history for each address.

The exchange rate plugin queries the selected rate provider for the rates and does the math in the client.

If you enable "historical rates" there might be a small bit of info leakage in that you will request rates for the specific dates of historical transactions in your wallet, and the rate provider could track that list of dates. I don't see how it could correlate the dates with specific addresses though.
RealBitcoin (OP)

View Profile
March 18, 2016, 03:43:01 AM

Anyone has anything to add to this or I can close this thread?

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: