Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 01:32:49 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 15btc transaction fee, big mistake  (Read 12626 times)
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
March 04, 2016, 10:01:03 AM

called "dynamic fee" 

Tongue

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Neptunium

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 04, 2016, 11:54:46 AM

That's really hilarious. I wonder how fast it was confirmed.
ImnotOctopus

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 04, 2016, 12:19:38 PM

I feel sorry for the sender.
I guess his drunk or his finger is big like feet.
This is the first time a saw a transaction equivalent to half a million peso.
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
March 04, 2016, 12:20:40 PM

called "dynamic fee"  

Tongue

if you set it automatic fee aren't they kinda dynamic? i means the client choose the best one for the amount you want to spend
saddoge

Activity: 41
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 04, 2016, 12:22:53 PM

he either wanted to make a really expensive joke, or it was just a typo what should have really hurt
coinzat

Activity: 434

Young but I'm not that bold

View Profile
March 04, 2016, 12:26:14 PM

I believe that it is a newbie transaction and it was sent by mistake. because there is not understandable reason to through such amount of btc for miners for almost free.
BTW it is not the first time to see a similar transaction, as I remember, two month ago someone send a tx with more than 5 btc as fees
ahpku

Activity: 294

View Profile
March 04, 2016, 12:41:26 PM

This could never happen. Is there any possible way to get back those bitcoins which were considered as the transaction charge. Is anyone heard of such incident other than this?

It happened at least one time before.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1lb5my/asicminer_refunds_the_accidental_200_btc/

Wow! Great story!  Some person attached 25,000$ worth of bitcoin as a fee to his transaction and then he gets a refund.

Like one of the comments says: "Friedcat (apparently the guy who did the refund) might qualify for early sainthood."

Sadly, the Saint Cat ran away with millions of investor $$ shortly thereafter, so mixed emotions Undecided
AliceWonderMiscreations

Activity: 182
Merit: 107

View Profile WWW
March 04, 2016, 01:12:26 PM

I'm wondering if this is money laundering.

Alice has dirty bitcoins that can link him to illegal activity.

Bob is a miner.

Bob keeps adding the TX to the blocks he is trying to solve. As soon as he solves the block, he notifies Alice so the TX goes to the network and Bob releases the block.

It looks like Bob got the TX from the network. But the dirty coins are destroyed.

Bob then sends Alice the equivalent value (less a fee) using existing coins or using the coins from the block reward to several addresses controlled by Alice.

Now both Alice and Bob are cleared of any scrutiny and the laundering is complete.

this case was most probably a mistake in the code they were using which sent big fees.
but your theory is interesting but it doesn't sound right. because if you want to launder money you will try to cover your tracks
in this case when Alice sends her dirty bitcoins to Bob and includes a big fee, it is so obvious what they are doing besides doing it a couple of times to a miner called Bob will put Bob in law enforcement watchlist and following the coins going into his blocks and out of his known addresses will lead them to Alice too.

Alice doesn't have to send them to bob.

Alice can create a transaction send a small amount to a random address neither care about and just include a large TX fee.

Bob just includes the transaction in every block Bob attempts to mine and Alice doesn't send the TX to the network until Bob has found a block.

There's a small risk another miner will find a block at the same time, but really all bob needs is a way to communicate with Alice that Bob solved the block to trigger Alice to send the TX out to the network at the same time Bob releases his block to the network.

Then it looks like Bob got the TX from the network if forensics is done because Alice has sent the TX out to the network.

There's no way to prove any collusion between Alice and Bob through the blockchain and the dirty coins are replaced with fresh coins.

I hereby reserve the right to sometimes be wrong
ebliever
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1035

View Profile
March 04, 2016, 01:58:15 PM

Assuming this was a mistake, I'll echo what others have said here: For mainstream adoption this sort of thing needs to be effectively impossible. Regular folks need clients that simply won't allow this kind of mistake, at least without a series of "Are you sure? Really sure? Really really sure?" questions and/or "Go to Tools/Options/Fees, uncheck boxes for this and that..." type activity.

There is no 800 number you can call to save you with bitcoin. We can hope some miner somewhere does the right thing and returns funds in an apparent case like this, but can't count on it.

Luke 12:15-21

Ephesians 2:8-9
LoyceV
Legendary

Activity: 3304
Merit: 16587

Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021

View Profile WWW
March 04, 2016, 02:17:12 PM

For mainstream adoption this sort of thing needs to be effectively impossible.
People lose bitcoins in a lot of ways, see this topic: How many Bitcoins are lost forever?, this fee-mistake is just a fraction of what's lost in total.
So why would this be a problem for mainstream adoption? People have been losing cash money for centuries, and cash is still around.

cefen6777

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 04, 2016, 02:18:43 PM

thats crazy, i have never seen something like that, i guess the sender was kinda sad after he sent it
lite
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
March 04, 2016, 02:27:03 PM

15 bitcoin fees that hurts, that's the reason i don't customize my fees lol i pay the default fees set by the electrum wallet.
ronaldinho_07

Activity: 476

View Profile
March 04, 2016, 02:42:28 PM

Well when i read and say the link ,i thinked no way this has been spent for free ,makes no sense?Is that a kind of test from the developers not announced ?Why would someone throw bitcoin away as its worth 400 and may achive and will go ahead it,sure a mistake and a refund may happen ,but the refund thing were something i believe were impossible at bitcoin,but in this case they refunded the fee and not the transaction soo sounds fair.
EdenHazard
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 1048

View Profile
March 04, 2016, 04:17:13 PM

someone know who have that transaction? 178.62.211.162 that ip address from netherland,i wonder how about this transaction,is that amount transacted arrive to wallet fully,or lost because that fee,i never see any fees as big like that. someone can explain me how can that transaction have so big fee?

.7 BTC  WELCOME BONUS!..
███████████████████████████
██████████▀▀▄▄▄▄▄ ▄▀▀██████
█████████▄██████ ████ ▀████
██████▀▀ ▄▄▄▄ ▀▀███▀▄██ ███
████▀   ██████   ▀██████ ██
███ ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄ ██▄▄▄ ██
██ █████▀    ▀█████ ████ ██
██  ▀██        ███▀ ███ ███
██   ▄██▄    ▄██▄   █▀▄████
███ ▄████████████▄ ████████
████▄▀███▀▀▀▀███▀▄█████████
██████▄▄      ▄▄███████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████▄█████▄█▄███▄█▄██████████▄██▀▀▀████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████▀████▄████▀██████████████████████████▄█████▄██▄█████▄████▄████▄████▄████████
█████████████████▐█████▌███████████▄█████▀███▀▀████████▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀██████▀▀███▀▀███████████
██████████████▄████▀████▄██████████████████▄▄▄▄▄███▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄████████████████████████
████████████████▀█▀███▀█▀██████████▀███████▀█████████▀█████▀██▀█████▀███████████████████████
██████████████████████████████▀▀▀████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
████████▀▀  ▐█▌  ▀▀████████
██████▄     ▐█▌     ▄██████
████ ▀██▄▄███████▄▄██▀ ████
███    ██▀▀  ▄  ▀▀██    ███
██    ██   ▄███▄   ██    ██
████████  ███████  ████████
██    ██  ▀▀ █ ▀▀  ██    ██
███    ██▄▄ ▀▀▀ ▄▄██    ███
████ ▄██▀▀██████▀▀▀██▄ ████
██████▀     ▐█▌     ▀██████
████████▄▄  ▐█▌  ▄▄████████
.30+  ALTCOINS AVAILABLE..
AliceWonderMiscreations

Activity: 182
Merit: 107

View Profile WWW
March 04, 2016, 04:41:23 PM

People lose bitcoins in a lot of ways, see this topic: How many Bitcoins are lost forever?, this fee-mistake is just a fraction of what's lost in total.
So why would this be a problem for mainstream adoption? People have been losing cash money for centuries, and cash is still around.

The standard bitcoin-core client prevents this kind of mistake. Other clients may not be as wisely coded though, and I agree it should be in the consensus protocol.

I hereby reserve the right to sometimes be wrong
davinchi
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1058

View Profile
March 04, 2016, 06:42:05 PM

This could never happen. Is there any possible way to get back those bitcoins which were considered as the transaction charge. Is anyone heard of such incident other than this?

It happened at least one time before.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1lb5my/asicminer_refunds_the_accidental_200_btc/

Wow! Great story!  Some person attached 25,000$ worth of bitcoin as a fee to his transaction and then he gets a refund.

Like one of the comments says: "Friedcat (apparently the guy who did the refund) might qualify for early sainthood."
Friedcat was honest enough to refund the fee and it shows he is trustworthy. I know that nobody would have refunded 200 BTC but if it's a mistake, a person has to be kind enough to do it and in this case as well, I hope the miner of the
block refunds 15 BTC as it was clearly a mistake.
monsanto
Legendary

Activity: 1241
Merit: 1005

..like bright metal on a sullen ground.

View Profile
March 04, 2016, 07:18:52 PM

Well they can always call customer support and get the charges reversed... oh wait  Sad
ebliever
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1035

View Profile
March 04, 2016, 08:00:35 PM

Surely you can see how this is a problem for bitcoin adoption. The fact that people lose money in many ways doesn't make it any less painful. And this is a preventable cause, so let's prevent it.

Luke 12:15-21

Ephesians 2:8-9
lixer

Activity: 2506
Merit: 586

View Profile
March 04, 2016, 08:32:43 PM

Bitcoiners should just avoid making this kind of silly (but costly) mistakes as then they need to pray to God (the only available option) to get it back their bitcoins.

7a7a

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 04, 2016, 08:35:38 PM

Bitcoiners should just avoid making this kind of silly (but costly) mistakes as then they need to pray to God (the only available option) to get it back their bitcoins.
yeah it should be like notification appears before the transaction atleast because i have seen many tx fees mistakes that make you feel for the other person feeling when he does have such a mistake
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: