Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 01:48:09 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: XRP - Coindesk: The Case for Ripple in the Age of Big Bank Blockchains  (Read 639 times)
pimpjuice (OP)

Activity: 164
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 02, 2016, 11:47:35 PM

Must read:
http://www.coindesk.com/ripple-big-bank-blockchains/

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
newb4now

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 02, 2016, 11:48:48 PM

Nobody on bitcointalk likes Ripple or its centralized control. Try posting on bankerstalk.org instead
stoat

Merit: 270

FREEDOM RESERVE

View Profile WWW
March 02, 2016, 11:49:49 PM

Nipple is shit.  Dump it and buy ETH

FREEDOMRESERVEFree currency for the British Isles
Visit our website for more info

<-- Click here!
FREEDOMRESERVE By the People and for the People
pimpjuice (OP)

View Profile
March 02, 2016, 11:57:10 PM

Nipple is shit.  Dump it and buy ETH

What a surprise... once again you are pumping Eth and bashing Ripple when you know absolutely nothing about either technology.  I think you are nothing more than a bandwagon trader. (do you like the ne patriots?) 
pimpjuice (OP)

View Profile
March 03, 2016, 12:01:11 AM

Nobody on bitcointalk likes Ripple or its centralized control. Try posting on bankerstalk.org instead

Yep... while bitcoin becomes more centralized with their three Chinese miners Ripple is becoming decentralized by adding validators (including MS so far).  And... if you are an Eth guy.  Ask Buterin what is better. Three Chinese miners or ten banks running validators.

ALSO.... READ THE ARTICLE BEFORE POSTING.  (you both responded within 2min of me posting the article - troll proof Wink )
stoat

FREEDOM RESERVE

View Profile WWW
March 03, 2016, 12:23:20 AM

Yep... while bitcoin becomes more centralized with their three Chinese miners Ripple is becoming decentralized by adding validators (including MS so far).  And... if you are an Eth guy.  Ask Buterin what is better. Three Chinese miners or ten banks running validators.

ALSO.... READ THE ARTICLE BEFORE POSTING.  (you both responded within 2min of me posting the article - troll proof Wink )

Not interested at all.  No one is.

<-- Click here!
pimpjuice (OP)

View Profile
March 03, 2016, 12:34:16 AM

I assume the community would NOT regard you as their spokesman.
stoat

FREEDOM RESERVE

View Profile WWW
March 03, 2016, 12:41:30 AM

Thats beside the point.   No one gives a shit about ripple, not on this board, not anywhere in the world.

<-- Click here!
rippleric

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 03, 2016, 01:03:36 AM

Not interested at all.  No one is.

Thats beside the point.   No one gives a shit about ripple, not on this board, not anywhere in the world.

You know nothing about ripple, you have no argument and you have nothing substantial to say about bitcoin or ETH, so you are you wasting your time here. Actual FIs are adopting the protocol, the Fed is considering it for faster payments, and W3C is working with them to create ILP and eventual ILP integrated ripple protocol, so somebody out there gives a shit about it. Come back here the end of the year or next year and we'll see how centralized, I mean decentralized ripple has become. Meanwhile BTC block halves and they can't increase the block-size because the centralized Chinese mining cartels won't allow it.
stoat

FREEDOM RESERVE

View Profile WWW
March 03, 2016, 01:12:07 AM

I just don't like the way the ripple company handles business. It has proven to have acted in a dishonest way in the past. 

<-- Click here!
btcbug

Activity: 399
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 03, 2016, 01:48:44 AM

Lots of good news on Ripple lately!
stoat

FREEDOM RESERVE

View Profile WWW
March 03, 2016, 02:04:39 AM

Manufactured fairy stories

<-- Click here!
funkenstein
Legendary

Activity: 1066
Merit: 1050

Khazad ai-menu!

View Profile WWW
March 03, 2016, 02:09:03 AM

Ripple (not really but in name) financiers have done well in collecting talented developers, keeping them well fed and locked up and preventing them from doing anything useful for humanity.  "Here's a big screen.  Make some silly icons or something.  We need a new deck for our next round."  Y'all got fiatted.  You want to be remembered for cutting costs on interbank accounting of counterfeitables?  Or are you going to get out there and do something interesting?      

"Give me control over a coin's checkpoints and I care not who mines its blocks."
http://vtscc.org  http://woodcoin.info
pimpjuice (OP)

View Profile
March 03, 2016, 02:10:24 AM

Manufactured fairy stories

Have you read the article yet?  Probably not, which is why you are the only one "manufacturing fairy stories".
stoat

FREEDOM RESERVE

View Profile WWW
March 03, 2016, 02:11:37 AM

Ripple (not really but in name) financiers have done well in collecting talented developers, keeping them well fed and locked up and preventing them from doing anything useful for humanity.  "Here's a big screen.  Make some silly icons or something.  We need a new deck for our next round."  Y'all got fiatted.  You want to be remembered for cutting costs on interbank accounting of counterfeitables?  Or are you going to get out there and do something interesting?      

BRUTALITY!

<-- Click here!
pimpjuice (OP)

View Profile
March 03, 2016, 02:26:10 AM

Ripple (not really but in name) financiers have done well in collecting talented developers, keeping them well fed and locked up and preventing them from doing anything useful for humanity.  "Here's a big screen.  Make some silly icons or something.  We need a new deck for our next round."  Y'all got fiatted.  You want to be remembered for cutting costs on interbank accounting of counterfeitables?  Or are you going to get out there and do something interesting?     

Banks will not run on public ledgers.  They want their transactions private for obvious reasons.  Yes, Ripple has helped networks of banks connect through distributed ledgers on private networks (obviously no game changer).  But Ripple, with the use of XRP wants to connect these large networks of banks with small banks that would normally not have the ability to easily make cross-boarder transactions. If this isn't useful for humanity then I don't know what is.

Some interesting quotes from Microsoft
"Given this multi-chain vision, we see smart contracts as a key piece. Then you need ILP, which is the glue in the system that holds everything together, so that different chains can interoperate. That means a derivatives chain can interact with the securities chain it’s derived from. In all of these interactions, you’ll have to move money around. So you will need Ripple for that.

We see Ripple and ILP becoming part of the fabric of this multi-chain reality. Then you have Azure, which is the horizontal computing layer. We’ll provide scale management. We’ll make sure there’s regulatory compliance for data residency. We’ve got all that stuff covered." Marley Gray, who leads Microsoft Azure’s Blockchain as a Service (BaaS) initiative

“There’s a lot that bitcoin or Ripple and variants can do to make moving money between countries easier and getting fees down pretty dramatically. But bitcoin won’t be the dominant system.” Bill Gates
rippleric

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 03, 2016, 02:34:32 AM

Developers can come and go as they please, but obviously they would like to do something revolutionary with their lives, like create the Internet of Value, that's what ripple is doing... ripple is not making alliances or friends with bankers, they serve big and small FIs. They are disrupting correspondent banking freeing up capital and providing global liquidity, providing remittances and micropayments. Taking the top down approach, but bottom up will come later. How about Interledger protocol, you don't think that a global payment standard is necessary?

If their devs or any others want to make a difference in the world they can volunteer and work for free rippleworks.org (Chris Larsen funded charity)

What is your idea of the internet of value, or have you not figured it out yet?
funkenstein
Legendary

Khazad ai-menu!

View Profile WWW
March 03, 2016, 02:57:55 AM

Developers can come and go as they please, but obviously they would like to do something revolutionary with their lives, like create the Internet of Value, that's what ripple is doing... ripple is not making alliances or friends with bankers, they serve big and small FIs. They are disrupting correspondent banking freeing up capital and providing global liquidity, providing remittances and micropayments. Taking the top down approach, but bottom up will come later. How about Interledger protocol, you don't think that a global payment standard is necessary?

If their devs or any others want to make a difference in the world they can volunteer and work for free rippleworks.org (Chris Larsen funded charity)

What is your idea of the internet of value, or have you not figured it out yet?

Well yes, folks like you and me and said devs can come and go as we please and we should take responsibility for our actions.  And no, I haven't figured it out yet Smiley  I don't think "global payment standard" is a thing or necessary.  Having options is always good, and alliances and friendships with bankers is not necessarily a bad thing at all. 

Perhaps some of the infrastructure could have application in price discovery or trade engine tech?     

"Give me control over a coin's checkpoints and I care not who mines its blocks."
funkenstein
Legendary

Khazad ai-menu!

View Profile WWW
March 03, 2016, 03:11:02 AM

Ripple (not really but in name) financiers have done well in collecting talented developers, keeping them well fed and locked up and preventing them from doing anything useful for humanity.  "Here's a big screen.  Make some silly icons or something.  We need a new deck for our next round."  Y'all got fiatted.  You want to be remembered for cutting costs on interbank accounting of counterfeitables?  Or are you going to get out there and do something interesting?     

Banks will not run on public ledgers.  They want their transactions private for obvious reasons.  Yes, Ripple has helped networks of banks connect through distributed ledgers on private networks (obviously no game changer).  But Ripple, with the use of XRP wants to connect these large networks of banks with small banks that would normally not have the ability to easily make cross-boarder transactions. If this isn't useful for humanity then I don't know what is.

Ending reliance on counterfeitable zero-energy-of-issuance non-verifiable tokens and the incredible waste and irresponsibility that comes with it, for one.   

Some interesting quotes from Microsoft
"Given this multi-chain vision, we see smart contracts as a key piece. Then you need ILP, which is the glue in the system that holds everything together, so that different chains can interoperate. That means a derivatives chain can interact with the securities chain it’s derived from. In all of these interactions, you’ll have to move money around. So you will need Ripple for that.

We see Ripple and ILP becoming part of the fabric of this multi-chain reality. Then you have Azure, which is the horizontal computing layer. We’ll provide scale management. We’ll make sure there’s regulatory compliance for data residency. We’ve got all that stuff covered." Marley Gray, who leads Microsoft Azure’s Blockchain as a Service (BaaS) initiative

“There’s a lot that bitcoin or Ripple and variants can do to make moving money between countries easier and getting fees down pretty dramatically. But bitcoin won’t be the dominant system.” Bill Gates

There are many competing atomic cross chain protocols.  And of course there are ordinary trusted third parties which do the job of inter-chain movement quite handily.  All well and good.  The problem with these kinds of quotes is that they are designed not for users of financial systems, and not for technical developers.  They seek the ear of issuers or investors and so are slightly deceptive in their intent.   

keepdoing

Activity: 140
Merit: 101

View Profile
March 03, 2016, 03:44:43 AM

This was a very good article.  Longest and most comprehensive thing I have read in a while.  That's part of the problem though - people are very uneducated on Ripple, so much to cover.   Also - the traditional cryptoinvester - up until recently -is an original bitcoin flunkie.... one of these pie in the sky dreamers about privacy, no banks, butterflies flying around farting free lunches for everyone.  But I think Crypto has evolved and there is a more educated and professional investor base getting in now.  This is the sort of story that will catch those people's eyes. 

Its pretty clear that there is an attempt being made to drive interest.  Something like this doesn't get accidentally written.  But so far it isn't moving the needle on the price one bit. 

I also think, as I have seen mentioned elsewhere, that XRP/Ripple may be positioned to take advantage of the Ether run up, because some people will take partial profits and put it in Ripple.

But at the end of the day - better exchange access and wallets will do more to move the price on XRP than anything else.   

Oh, and lastly, due to the recent court settlement, we do have a ginormous original stakeholder dumping daily big volume on the market.  Most positive thing is that the price is stable, and not dropping.  Personally 17% of my portfolio is in XRP/Ripple - and I like this price, and I am still slowly adding.   But if I see a quick sharp move - I will be in quick.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: