Bitcoin Forum
May 28, 2024, 04:13:14 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: CryptoLocker experiences  (Read 1987 times)
Dagwanoenyent (OP)

Activity: 85
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 03, 2016, 09:05:00 PM

CryptoLocker is a ransomware trojan which targeted computers running Microsoft Windows.

Please share your experience, if any?

How to recover your files?

How to remove it, and how to recognize it in system?

literature:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CryptoLocker
https://malwaretips.com/blogs/remove-cryptolocker-virus/
Dagwanoenyent (OP)

Activity: 85
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 03, 2016, 09:07:49 PM

I don't have any problems and i didn't had any but i'm interested in this topic
because i find this is potential threat on internet and it is related someway with bitcoin.
Ransom requests are in bitcoins.
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
March 04, 2016, 07:34:10 AM

you can recover from it easily, just do a secure erase and use your backup

i have not much stuff on my desktop, so in 1 or two hour at worst i cna re-install everything
mocacinno
Legendary

Activity: 3402
Merit: 4994

https://merel.mobi => buy facemasks with BTC/LTC

View Profile WWW
March 04, 2016, 07:37:23 AM

an ex-collegue of mine had a run-in with this nasty piece of software just this week.

Apparently, it came onto his network due to an infected word document attached to an email. The receiver opened it, and answered "yes" to all security questions. Offcourse, being in an office environment, the receiver had write-access to a large part of his current companies data-share.

In the end, he disabled the dataservers network card, restored all the data from backup (tape) and just reinstalled the infected laptop.

It's a nasty bugger... You basically have 3 choices: lose your data with a clean install, recover from backup, or pay these guys  Angry

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
Rotator

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 04, 2016, 05:27:15 PM

How can you protect yourself against this?
What antivirus should i use. ESET SMART?Firewall?
As i understood that always come through mail, and you must click to atasment?
Snorek
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 04, 2016, 05:52:17 PM

i have not much stuff on my desktop, so in 1 or two hour at worst i cna re-install everything
An so if this is so easy why we had recent incident when Hostipal in California paid $17.000 ransom for retrieving their data?
All they have to do is secure erase and backup... It is so easy.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/thomasbrewster/2016/02/18/ransomware-hollywood-payment-locky-menace/#45311c1275b0
Mickeyb

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

Move On !!!!!!

View Profile
March 04, 2016, 07:24:09 PM

An so if this is so easy why we had recent incident when Hostipal in California paid $17.000 ransom for retrieving their data?

http://www.forbes.com/sites/thomasbrewster/2016/02/18/ransomware-hollywood-payment-locky-menace/#45311c1275b0
Maybe they did not have a backup? Or an even more believable option, they did not want the data to be accessible by others
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
March 05, 2016, 07:58:49 AM

because they are incompetent, you always do a backup no matter if the info are worth 1 usd or 100k

i always do a backup for everything, so in the case of this thing or even when the ssd broke i'm sure that i can retrieve the file easily
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
March 05, 2016, 09:21:40 AM

you can prepare yourself if you own some bitcoins  Tongue

arbitrage

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 05, 2016, 10:30:58 AM

you can prepare yourself if you own some bitcoins  Tongue
Yes but this is not solution. This will become more aggressive if people begin paying ransom.

How can you protect your system from this intruder? Using Linux is one possibility.
But what about windows?
Or maybe just be always prepared and backup everything.
HeroCat

Activity: 658

View Profile
March 07, 2016, 03:09:24 PM

Anti viruses and anti malware software will not help, only good forum member advice I think.  Wink
socks435
Legendary

Activity: 2016
Merit: 1030

Privacy is always important

View Profile
March 07, 2016, 03:44:06 PM

I have experience about ransomware  before that all my files are lock and i can't unlock it all so that i tried to experiment it if how can i get back my all files to normal.. they given me a notepad notice that if i want to get my files back i should contact him to give the password.. and they given me a onion link.. but im not convince to buy passcode to open my files.. i tried to unhide all system files after that i saw my files and they are set to hide.. so that i unhide it but after i reboot my laptop they are gone again so i decide to install updated anti virus kaspersky and scan all in my laptop after that detected trojan ransomeware i think 46 trojan ransome ware in my laptop.. now its clean because of kaspersky and all my files are back..
So i advice to you guys that the best way to be safe is to install updated anti virus... so that you can prevent someone to hack your pc or laptop..

Solving blocks can't be solved without my rigs.
CrimBit

Activity: 672

View Profile
March 07, 2016, 03:52:23 PM

I have experience about ransomware  before that all my files are lock and i can't unlock it all so that i tried to experiment it if how can i get back my all files to normal.. they given me a notepad notice that if i want to get my files back i should contact him to give the password.. and they given me a onion link.. but im not convince to buy passcode to open my files.. i tried to unhide all system files after that i saw my files and they are set to hide.. so that i unhide it but after i reboot my laptop they are gone again so i decide to install updated anti virus kaspersky and scan all in my laptop after that detected trojan ransomeware i think 46 trojan ransome ware in my laptop.. now its clean because of kaspersky and all my files are back..
So i advice to you guys that the best way to be safe is to install updated anti virus... so that you can prevent someone to hack your pc or laptop..
Nice Experience, NIce sharing guys...
after i read your story i know update antivirus is very important, i update my kaspersky maybe twice in 1month. i have bad experience too, but not with ranasomware, with F*cking altcoin wallet, i lose 1.5btc.
BitMaxz
Legendary

Activity: 3262
Merit: 2979

:( My PC broke due trying to recover an old wallet

View Profile WWW
March 07, 2016, 06:54:29 PM

after i read your story i know update antivirus is very important, i update my kaspersky maybe twice in 1month. i have bad experience too, but not with ranasomware, with F*cking altcoin wallet, i lose 1.5btc.
Yeah updating anti virus is always the best to prevent hackers to hack our laptop also to remove latest virus in our laptop or desktop. ransomware is a kind of trojan virus that can hide or make it to rar with password then they giving a notice if how to unlock your files..
If your desktop or laptop is infected you can try this ransomeware decryptor from kaspersky its working perfectly but you should install latest anti virus.. so that after you kill all trojan ransomware from decryptor they can't spread again to your laptop or desktop..
here's the link https://noransom.kaspersky.com/
I hope it helps..

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
leowonderful
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1129

Bitcoin FTW!

View Profile
March 07, 2016, 09:00:58 PM

This is why you always do a backup at least once a month, I do one every WEEK. Recently I installed a game and when I tried to uninstall it with the uninstaller it came with, the uninstaller malfunctioned and deleted EVERYTHING on my ssd and 2 hdds. I noticed halfway why it was taking so long and stopped it with task manager, but the good news was it deleted only so much and I was able to backup my pc.
NEVER PAY CRYPTOLOCKER. NO MATTER HOW GOOD YOUR FILES WERE, YOU DID NOT BACKUP YOUR PC AND YOU PAY THE PRICE. Learn the lesson and don't do it next time.
NorrisK
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1007

View Profile
March 07, 2016, 10:13:04 PM

How can you protect yourself against this?
What antivirus should i use. ESET SMART?Firewall?
As i understood that always come through mail, and you must click to atasment?

How to protect yourself from stuff like cryptolockers? Simple, just use common sense!

Most virusses and other malware would not be as widespread as it is if people would just stop opening all kinds of random emails and downloading the attachments..

Rule one is not to download anything you were not expecting, especially if you don't know the sender. Ofcourse you also want to make sure your firewall and anti-virus are running and up to date.

Luckily most mail clients will filter out most of the spam and malware e-mail, but new ones might slip through.
CrimBit

Activity: 672

View Profile
March 08, 2016, 12:05:18 AM

Yeah updating anti virus is always the best to prevent hackers to hack our laptop also to remove latest virus in our laptop or desktop. ransomware is a kind of trojan virus that can hide or make it to rar with password then they giving a notice if how to unlock your files..
If your desktop or laptop is infected you can try this ransomeware decryptor from kaspersky its working perfectly but you should install latest anti virus.. so that after you kill all trojan ransomware from decryptor they can't spread again to your laptop or desktop..
I hope it helps..

thank's for the link, i bookmark it on my google chrome, and download the software.
it's a small software only 1mb but very usefull for me.
RealBitcoin

Activity: 854
Merit: 1009

JAYCE DESIGNS - http://bit.ly/1tmgIwK

View Profile
March 12, 2016, 11:41:18 PM

Please share your experience, if any?

Dont use Windows, it sucks.

socks435
Legendary

Activity: 2016
Merit: 1030

Privacy is always important

View Profile
March 13, 2016, 06:33:57 PM

I hope it helps..

thank's for the link, i bookmark it on my google chrome, and download the software.
it's a small software only 1mb but very usefull for me.
Cryptolocker or ransom virus is very dangerous virus because your all possible crypto or any related in bitcoin will be lock but we can prevent it.
They are lots of ways to prevent it and we can unlock without contacting the hacker to unlock all your files. Karpersy is the best to use to prevent ransomeware to lock all your crypto files.. is just like a trojan combination of bacteria so it can spread fast in any of your hard drive..
So scan your harddrive once a week or bi-weekly..

Solving blocks can't be solved without my rigs.
Fortify
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 1191

View Profile
March 13, 2016, 07:44:05 PM

I've seen it infect a fairly big company, all from one person opening an email and the intruders definitely managed to spread it deeper across the network. I think the infection is still there, it's just being suppressed by the antivirus rather than being removed. The warnings mentioned screensave.scr if I remember correctly.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT|
4,000+ GAMES
███████████████████
██████████▀▄▀▀▀████