Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 09:22:31 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: cannot get over 8 connections w/ port 8333 open on router  (Read 1981 times)
jimjones (OP)

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 24, 2013, 11:13:56 PM

Hi there everyone Smiley

I cannot for the life of me get over 8 connections to the bitcoin network!!

ive been reading and reading these forums on how to increase the speed of my blockchain download...   

this is what ive done so far:

Checked and confirmed port 8333 is open
Made sure port forwarding was setup on my router for this computers ip
even went as far as putting this pc on DMZ
Ive even temporarily shut down windows firewall  (even after verifying bitcoin client is added to exceptions....)
ive temporarily disabled any virus scanners just to see if that improves things, no such luck!

ive even gone as far as swapping routers to see if this increases performance, again no such luck :/
Ive tried wired & wireless connections....  no improvement...

there is nothing running on this pc (besides bitcoin 0.7.2 client)  cpu load is very low.  there is plenty of hard drive space and i have 4gb of ram...

ive tried disabling upnp on router / renabling it...   ive disabling upnp in the bitcoin client...  no luck.

I cannot for the life of me figure out how to achieve over 8 connections     everything ive read on this forum my system / setup seems to be configured the way people that are getting over 8 connections have.     Im sure im just missing something soo simple itll make me laugh...   but any advice would be much appreciated...

ive been at this download for over 5 days now and i still seem to have a couple days left o_O

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
jimjones (OP)

View Profile
January 24, 2013, 11:31:30 PM
Last edit: January 25, 2013, 03:40:07 AM by jimjones

sigh i thought it got it working now were back to square one  8 connections again(it went up to 13-20 connections briefly for 2 hours now its back stuck at 8 connections) & superbly slow download      uggh over a week to download the full blockchain...   this doesnt seem right

heck ill even pay someone some btcs if you can help me get this working :/
Atruk

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 25, 2013, 05:35:56 AM

What block are you at?

Enabled UPnP in the client and your router, it makes a big difference. UPnP makes things go faster. I may not seem like it because the blocks get bigger the more recent they are, but UPnP enabled is a big help.

You can also try opening bitcoin with the server argument so you can access the command line to use the  -addnode=<ip> command to connect to reliable peer from this page. See: https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Fallback_Nodes and https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Running_Bitcoin

The most recent download links on this page can get you caught up to this past march. http://sourceforge.net/projects/bitcoin/files/Bitcoin/blockchain/ (save your wallet.dat before trying to use these)

But have you used any addresses yet to receive or request coins?

There are lighter weight clients like MultiBit and Electrum that don't need to download the whole blockchain. You can be synced up in minutes (the plural might not even be necessary).

Also if you use hard drive encryption your download is going to be excessively slow and a lightweight client is almost a must.

jimjones (OP)

View Profile
January 25, 2013, 03:39:03 PM

i have 4600 blocks left and im getting 1 block every 35seconds...   ive managed to get the wallet to connect to more then 8 clients now for the last 12hrs but its only downloaded maybe 1500 blocks.

upnp is enabled on both my router and the bitcoin app itself.

Ive checked out electrum it seems like the way to go for me in the future, but silly me when i first loaded up the bitcoin-qt client i ordered a dozen or so bitcoins thinking it would only take a couple hours to sync...   now im stuck waiting for this to complete b4 i have access to my coins lol Sad

I will try opening this with the server argument and adding some reliable peers, hopefully that will increase the overall speed of this...  as im affraid once i get these 4600 remaining blocks there may be another 1500+ ill need to download and well ill be in this vicious never ending circle heh :/

and nope not using any encryption on this drive    could their be other factors causing this to be soo slow?
Atruk

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 25, 2013, 08:04:54 PM

i have 4600 blocks left and im getting 1 block every 35seconds...   ive managed to get the wallet to connect to more then 8 clients now for the last 12hrs but its only downloaded maybe 1500 blocks

and nope not using any encryption on this drive    could their be other factors causing this to be soo slow?

That actually sounds surprisingly normal now a days.

The bitcoin traffic on your internet connection just might be getting throttled by your ISP. Satoshidice has made the blockchain rather large in recent months though. I don't use the QT client for my wallet anymore, but I do keep it running on one of my computers just to keep another good node running.

A lot of people like Electrum. I'm a bit partial to the way MultiBit verifies transactions because it trusts a few different nodes rather than the one server, but they are both very fast and very light. You might want to download them both and try them out while you are waiting for access to your coins.

rs77063

Activity: 14

View Profile
January 25, 2013, 08:39:02 PM

Good advice on a lightweight clients Atruk. First I've heard of either of them.

BTW, I too cannot connect to more than 8 nodes too. Adding the addnodes to my config speeds up the reaching 8 nodes, but doesn't put me over.  Sad
jimjones (OP)

View Profile
January 25, 2013, 08:59:50 PM

hrmm im gonna try connecting thru one of my vpns see if that speeds stuff up.

Ill also checkout multibit     thank you for the advice.      oh how i wish i knew this before ordering the bitcoins at the start of the week  lol

i guess my only option is to wait till this wallet syncs intially then transfer any bitcoins i have over to a more lightweight wallet so i do not have to suffer thru this excruciating waiting period again..
sounds

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

1221iZanNi5igK7oAA7AWmYjpsyjsRbLLZ

View Profile
January 25, 2013, 11:33:18 PM
Last edit: January 26, 2013, 01:17:26 AM by sounds

You can copy the private key over from your existing wallet.

Your wallet.dat file can be on multiple clients at once.

BIG WARNING: The network will think you're trying to scam it by doing a double-spend if you send BTC from more than one client at a time. So if you're still just downloading the blockchain in Bitcoin-Qt just make sure to not send anything using Bitcoin-Qt. If you've already sent something in Bitcoin-Qt, you need to wait for it to show up in all your clients or you can only use Bitcoin-Qt to send more coins. Basically, pick a client and stick with it.

I'll post instructions for copying the private key to Electrum. If you want the multibit instructions they are similar.

1. Install Electrum - follow instructions at that link

2. When you first start it, it asks if you want to create a new wallet. Create a new wallet and write down the seed it gives you, then put that in a safe place. (This is all just the standard process for getting Electrum up and running.)

3. In Bitcoin-Qt, open the Help menu > click "Debug Window"

4. At the top of the Debug Window, click on the "Console" tab. It should show you "Welcome to the Bitcoin RPC console. Use up and down arrows..."

5. Type "listaddressgroupings" in the text box at the bottom

6. It will show you a list of all your addresses. Here's an example:
Code:
[
[
[
"1GiN4UWo8VZ9PZuJXfMQYbQyP9opGsayYD",
"my wallet 1"
],
[
"1GiN4UWo8VZ9PZuJXfMQYbQyP9opGsayYD",
"my wallet 2"
]
]
]

7. Pick the top address, so you're looking for something like 1GiN4UWo8VZ9PZuJXfMQYbQyP9opGsayYD but that is my address. You want to get one of your addresses, then type "dumpprivkey 1GiN4UWo8VZ9PZuJXfMQYbQyP9opGsayYD" in the text box at the bottom. (Replace my address with your address when you type it.) If you want, you can use Copy (Ctrl-C) and Paste (Ctrl-V) to speed this up. If you type the address wrong (or paste it wrong) you'll get an error "Invalid Bitcoin address" or another error. Try typing again.

8. Do not post the information it just gave you - that is the private key to that address, and it has the power to spend coins. Keep it safe!

9. Hilight that information it just gave you, and hit Ctrl-C to copy it.

10. Open Electrum and click the Wrench/Screwdriver icon at the bottom (Preferences)

11. In the Electrum Settings window, click the Import/Export tab

12. The third row is "Private Key" and has a button "Import" - click the "Import" button on the third row. I think Electrum shows a warning the first time, asking if you are sure you want to do this - click Yes.

13. paste the information from Bitcoin-Qt into Electrum and click OK

14. if you copy/pasted it correctly, Electrum then shows a Popup that just shows the address. This confirms you pasted it correctly. If it says something like "invalid password" go back and copy the information again from step 9

15. Click OK to clear the address popup. Click OK to close the Electrum Settings.

16. You can verify the address can now be used in Electrum by going to the Receive tab in the main window. If you see the address there, Electrum now knows about it and can send/receive the coins at that address.

17. Now that you've imported one address, you can go back to step 7 and get another address from Bitcoin-Qt
jimjones (OP)

View Profile
January 26, 2013, 01:03:18 AM

when i typed listaddressgrouping   it spit out method not found  and an error code Sad
sounds

View Profile
January 26, 2013, 01:14:02 AM

listaddressgroupings

(remember the s on the end)
jimjones (OP)

View Profile
January 26, 2013, 01:40:49 AM

20:37:52

listaddressgroupings

20:38:13

[
]

i hope the address i thought was the one i have bitcoins sent to was actually my address  lol well if it wasnt someone was happily surprised with dozen bitcoins o_O
sounds

View Profile
January 26, 2013, 05:56:07 AM

It is indeed possible you put in the wrong address.

I'll talk through what I think is going on, let me know if I got a step wrong:

1. You sent some USD to MTGox

2. You used MTGox to buy some BTC

3. You installed Bitcoin-Qt

4. You added a new address to Bitcoin-Qt

5. You copy/pasted the address into MTGox

6. You withdrew the BTC from MTGox to that address

7. Now there are no addresses in Bitcoin-Qt

That last part surprises me. Can you post a screenshot of your Bitcoin-Qt "Receive" window showing no addresses?
jimjones (OP)

View Profile
January 26, 2013, 06:36:14 AM

i didnt use mt gox but i did install bitcoin-qt then went to receive page   and copied the address from the receive page and had the company i ordered btc from send to that address from my receive page...

i guess for whatever reason when i do listaddressgroupings its not coming up :/

but hopefully this will be finally completed in the next 8hrs i have about 1200 blocks left...  then ill be using electrum or multibit from here on out...
abbyd

Activity: 159

View Profile
January 26, 2013, 08:14:43 AM
Last edit: January 26, 2013, 09:02:57 AM by abbyd

I cannot for the life of me figure out how to achieve over 8 connections

ive been at this download for over 5 days now and i still seem to have a couple days left o_O

I feel your pain - downloading and validating the blockchain takes eons.
Code:
src/src/net.cpp:static const int MAX_OUTBOUND_CONNECTIONS = 8;

...is where allowed number of outbounds connection is set in the code. However, you probably won't see any improvement, even if you did bother to change this value and recompile your binary. Reason being: your system is "IO Bound", meaning your net connection is not what is limiting the process. Writing to disk is taking up most of the time - the BerkeleyDB used by bitcoind seems to be quite inefficient. The easy ways to speed this up are using an SSD or a RAM disk for the initial blockcheck.

That said, using a system like electrum or multibit is INHERENTLY LESS SECURE because they both rely on a centralized authority whose integrity may be compromised. If you want to help the community by validating new blocks and keeping the blockchain less centralized, try to eat the pain a bit more...

Thanks for your consideration.
rs77063

Activity: 14

View Profile
January 26, 2013, 11:58:22 AM

Thank you abbyd. Finally, a real answer!
jimjones (OP)

View Profile
January 26, 2013, 03:37:36 PM

well great news after 7 full days ive finally sync'd my bitcoin wallet up with the network & my bitcoins i ordered showed up in my account Smiley

I guess ill just have to constantly leave this program running from now on.

in the future if im going to do a quick transaction of bitcoins and i havent syncd the network, or im using a new computer ill be using multibit / electrum for a quick transaction (however i will not plan on storing my coins in either of those less secure wallets...)

thank you all for your recommendations and advice during this painfully slow initial process!

abbyd

Activity: 159

View Profile
January 28, 2013, 02:59:59 AM

well great news after 7 full days ive finally sync'd my bitcoin wallet up with the network & my bitcoins i ordered showed up in my account Smiley

I guess ill just have to constantly leave this program running from now on.

in the future if im going to do a quick transaction of bitcoins and i havent syncd the network, or im using a new computer ill be using multibit / electrum for a quick transaction (however i will not plan on storing my coins in either of those less secure wallets...)

Glad to hear you toughed it out. The huge blockchain is becoming more of a problem every day. Satoshi originally proposed to "prune" the blockchain using "merkle trees", but so far the developers have been afraid to implement this and I don't blame them. It's a complicated process, and they don't want to risk orphaning coins that have never been spent or opening the door for "double spends".

Leaving bitcoin running 24/7 is optimal if you want to do a lot of bitcoin transactions without waiting to sync up. However, if you do this, I'd recommend ENCRYPTING YOUR WALLET - that feature is built into bitcoin-qt. Also you can look into spreading coins around to different wallets - it takes effort, but is smart if/when you start getting above 100BTC balance... Also be very careful of KEYLOGGERS, especially if you're on a Windows system.

BTW did you "drink the bitcoin Koolaid"?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: