Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 03:03:04 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: is it possible to be a client without download all blockchain?  (Read 902 times)
joticajulian (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 25, 2013, 01:33:59 AM

In this moment I'm using bitcoin-qt.exe, but it is still synchronizing. Is it possible to be a client without download all blockchain?

I think is not convenient that every person has all the transactions of all time, because this data will be very big in the coming years.
Think that in jan-2012 it tooks 500MB, and today (jan-2013) is about 4.5GB... i.e. it grew 4GB last year (http://blockchain.info/charts/blocks-size). Now think how it will be in the next 5 years, knowing that the transactions rate will increase when it be more popular.
I don't know, just vague ideas that come to my mind.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
January 25, 2013, 01:58:20 AM

To be a full node you need the full blockchain.  Every block, every transaction back to the genesis block.  The trust model requires you to be able to treat EVERYTHING you receive from the network as untrusted (and potentially invalid) and independently validate everything yourself.

However you don't have to be a full node.  You can run a "lite node" client or use a web wallet (blockchain.info).
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
January 25, 2013, 02:07:22 AM

In this moment I'm using bitcoin-qt.exe, but it is still synchronizing. Is it possible to be a client without download all blockchain?

Yes, but you need a light type client.  Try this one....

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Electrum

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
btcven

Activity: 715
Merit: 500

Bitcoin Venezuela

View Profile WWW
January 25, 2013, 07:39:37 AM

Yes, but you need a light type client.  Try this one....

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Electrum

http://electrum.org

Admin: rdymac (PGP) | contacto@bitcoinvenezuela.com | @cafebitcoin | Electrum, lightweight bitcoin client
If I've been helpful tip me a coffee! Cheesy1rdymachKZpA9pTYHYHMYZjfjnoBW6B3k Bitrated user: rdymac.
Timo Y
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1001

bitcoin - the aerogel of money

View Profile
January 25, 2013, 07:42:09 AM

I would also recommend the Electrum client for a newbie.

In theory, Electrum is not as secure as the original client, but unless you are dealing with volumes in the thousands of bitcoins, Electrum is absolutely good enough.

However, I would avoid web wallets for anything more than 10 bitcoins.

GPG ID: FA868D77   bitcoin-otc:forever-d
caveden
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1004

View Profile
January 25, 2013, 07:54:48 AM

In theory, Electrum is not as secure as the original client, but unless you are dealing with volumes in the thousands of bitcoins, Electrum is absolutely good enough.

I'd say Electrum is as secure as bitcoin-qt in what concerns the risk of being stolen. And Electrum is actually safer in what concerns backups due to its deterministic wallets - you only have to back it up once.

The greatest problem with Electrum, IMHO, is the fact you depend on a server, who could theoretically spy on you (log all your transactions) and could eventually be compromised and then start lying to you (not telling about money you receive, not sending your transactions out, telling you received money you actually didn't etc - the server cannot steal the money you already have, though).

To avoid these server-related issues and still be lightweight, you can use an SPV client like Multibit. They don't have deterministic wallets AFAIK though, so you'd have to back it up frequently, preferably have it as a link to a file in an encrypted cloud storage like Wualla or the new Mega (does Mega create a folder on your system you can point symbolic links to? I've never tested it).
Atruk

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 25, 2013, 08:07:20 AM

To avoid these server-related issues and still be lightweight, you can use an SPV client like Multibit. They don't have deterministic wallets AFAIK though, so you'd have to back it up frequently, preferably have it as a link to a file in an encrypted cloud storage like Wualla or the new Mega (does Mega create a folder on your system you can point symbolic links to? I've never tested it).

They don't have deterministic wallets yet. I just generated a bunch of extra addresses to save for later, then backed it up to an SD card. Deterministic wallets and private key encryption are supposed to be on schedule for this summer though. It share the BitcoinJ framework with the Android app which is something you might want to keep in mind should you want a mobile wallet. The initial sync and every other sync have been all under a minute for me.

I wouldn't go around recommending Mega as a secure storage solution yet because it is so new, and it appears to be an LEX magnet so people are going to try to be snooping on it.. Also it appears to be horrible for backups since they haven't rolled out password recovery yet to my knowledge.

caveden
Legendary

View Profile
January 25, 2013, 08:16:41 AM

I wouldn't go around recommending Mega as a secure storage solution yet because it is so new, and it appears to be an LEX magnet so people are going to try to be snooping on it.. Also it appears to be horrible for backups since they haven't rolled out password recovery yet to my knowledge.

Good points.
I've been using Wuala for a while now, it hasn't disappointed me so far. And they accept bitcoins. ;-)
ThomasV
Legendary

Activity: 1896
Merit: 1353

View Profile WWW
January 25, 2013, 08:32:04 AM

The greatest problem with Electrum, IMHO, is the fact you depend on a server, who could theoretically spy on you (log all your transactions) and could eventually be compromised and then start lying to you (not telling about money you receive, not sending your transactions out, telling you received money you actually didn't etc - the server cannot steal the money you already have, though).

This is not true.
An Electrum server can indeed forget tell you about money you received, but it cannot tell you that you received money when you actually didn't.
This is because the Electrum client verifies all the transactions reported by the server, using SPV.

Electrum: the convenience of a web wallet, without the risks
caveden
Legendary

View Profile
January 25, 2013, 10:33:18 AM

This is not true.
An Electrum server can indeed forget tell you about money you received, but it cannot tell you that you received money when you actually didn't.
This is because the Electrum client verifies all the transactions reported by the server, using SPV.

Ah ok, I was not aware of that. Thanks for the clarification.

So, wait... that means Electrum clients also download the block headers, like BitcoinJ...

What's the difference between Electrum and a BitcoinJ (SPV) client configured to connect to a single server? I suppose Electrum tells its server the entire lists of address the client possess, so that the server only transmit relevant transactions together with the relevant chunks of the merkle tree, is that it?

Would you consider making it possible for Electrum to behave like an actual SPV client (with p2p bootstrap) once Bloom filters are implemented on bitcoind? Meaning, those who want to keep relying on a single server stay as they are, and those that prefer p2p go SPV...
ThomasV
Legendary

Activity: 1896
Merit: 1353

View Profile WWW
January 25, 2013, 10:51:27 AM

What's the difference between Electrum and a BitcoinJ (SPV) client configured to connect to a single server? I suppose Electrum tells its server the entire lists of address the client possess, so that the server only transmit relevant transactions together with the relevant chunks of the merkle tree, is that it?

I am not sure what BitcoinJ exactly does.
A full SPV client needs to download the entire blockchain for verification, but it does not store it. (it may start from a recent checkpoint, but after the checkpoint it still needs to download full blocks)
Electrum does not do that. It verifies only the transactions reported by the server. For that verification, it only needs to download the headers.

Would you consider making it possible for Electrum to behave like an actual SPV client (with p2p bootstrap) once Bloom filters are implemented on bitcoind? Meaning, those who want to keep relying on a single server stay as they are, and those that prefer p2p go SPV...

I don't think there is a real advantage to using bloom filters over Electrum servers.
If you are a bloom filter client, the bitcoind nodes you are talking to can hide some transactions to you, just like Electrum servers.

p2p bootstrap would be interesting though, to download the headers; that's something we will probably do.

Electrum: the convenience of a web wallet, without the risks
caveden
Legendary

View Profile
January 25, 2013, 11:02:31 AM

I don't think there is a real advantage to using bloom filters over Electrum servers.
If you are a bloom filter client, the bitcoind nodes you are talking to can hide some transactions to you, just like Electrum servers.

p2p bootstrap would be interesting though, to download the headers; that's something we will probably do.

The advantage is the p2p context. You don't depend on a server that could be compromised, it's harder to spy on you etc.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: