Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 01:49:15 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Reminder - When stock prices hit 3 digits, people stop buying them.  (Read 3587 times)
gabriella (OP)

Activity: 336
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 04:42:17 AM

it is proven psychologically people slow down a lot in buying stocks with more than 2-digit prices. so they do stock splits of say 1-10 and break the stocks into smaller pieces. the prices start from $10 and climb all over again.

sure 10 $20 split stocks is equal to one $200 stock, you argue, so why do people buy one and not the other? it's just human nature.

unfortunately Bitcoins cannot do stock splits so once it hits $100 or more people will not stomach the prices.

you then say people can just buy 0.1 of Bitcoin but then that decimal point also turn people off in itself.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
niemivh

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 04:45:59 AM

Great point.

How can we split the currency?
 Roll Eyes

I'll keep my politics out of your economics if you keep your economics out of my politics.

16LdMA6pCgq9ULrstHmiwwwbGe1BJQyDqr
Grant

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 04:48:26 AM

It's not a stock, but that's besides the point.

There is no need for a currencysplit.
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 04:49:44 AM

Bitcoin can functionally do a 'stock split' by moving the decimal point in the client's default display setting..

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
Insti

Activity: 294
Merit: 252

Firstbits: 1duzy

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 05:00:28 AM

You can't buy 0.00001 of a stock.
mellowhead

Activity: 98

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 05:03:15 AM

Bitcoin can functionally do a 'stock split' by moving the decimal point in the client's default display setting..
I imagine this wouldn't happen until the BTC value passes at least one or two decimal places past 100USD though - what do you think creighto?

11 Cheers for binary currency!
1BxQsmtVtzJD9uEe5MxcyqFaohpgb76ohs
Cryptoman

Activity: 726
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 05:03:27 AM

Yeah, triple digits really put the brakes on Apple and Google.  Roll Eyes

"A small body of determined spirits fired by an unquenchable faith in their mission can alter the course of history." --Gandhi
MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 05:05:32 AM

I imagine this wouldn't happen until the BTC value passes at least one or two decimal places past 100USD though - what do you think creighto?

I wanted to do it back in November.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

mellowhead

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 05:54:17 AM

What was your reasoning for wanting to do it back then?

11 Cheers for binary currency!
1BxQsmtVtzJD9uEe5MxcyqFaohpgb76ohs
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
June 09, 2011, 06:03:14 AM

Roll Eyes Berkshire?

it's silly to think there isn't any money smart enough to value a company correctly after it's completely arbitrary nominal value is a certain length. Just arb this shit if you believe it.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 07:49:54 AM

What was your reasoning for wanting to do it back then?

I wanted to get it done before the userbase grew too large to do it easily.

jashan

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
June 09, 2011, 08:26:59 AM

I wanted to get it done before the userbase grew too large to do it easily.

Very wise indeed. The longer we wait the more painful it gets and I think it's already quite late but on the other hand might be just the right timing (I don't think it will take very long until BTC / $ hits 100). I kind of liked the multi-step solution that Rocketfella proposed in:

Solution: How to shift the decimal
http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=13495.0

The idea is basically to go from 1 BTC to 1,000,000 uBTC and once everyone is using uBTC consistently, drop the u.

In another thread, started by ... ah ... the one I'm just replying to ...

Shift the decimal point over?
http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=13144.0

there's also a little informal poll with 88 people (atm) saying "Yes!  I wanna be a Bitcoin Millionare!", 31 saying "No!  I prefer counting zeros!" and 10 saying "Wait, what?"

In that thread I made the point that shifting 6 digits is actually a "bugfix" because I consider "21 million BTC max" an actual bug for a global currency. I think it kind of made sense to start with that - but the sooner we switch to "21 trillion BTC max", the better because it simply feel more "realistic" for a global currency (the maths obviously not the problem but how people perceive the idea).
rebuilder
Legendary

Activity: 1615
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 08:36:12 AM

Isn't moving the decimal point just a display issue, though? If the next Bitcoin client has support for milles, it shouldn't stop people from using, them, or? If someone receives a sum smaller than the current minimum, then that's just an incentive to upgrade. Or am I missing something?

Selling out to advertisers shows you respect neither yourself nor the rest of us.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Too many low-quality posts? Mods not keeping things clean enough? Self-moderated threads let you keep signature spammers and trolls out!
Jack of Diamonds

Activity: 252
Merit: 251

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 08:36:47 AM

As mentioned above, Berkshire Hathaway's stock has been in the 5 digits for ages, and is currently in the 6's at over $110,000 per stock.

It still yields steady profits every year and people buy it.
Stock price digits have nothing to do with what people buy or don't buy.

Except that you can't buy 0.1 stocks of BH. You can buy 0.1 bitcoins.

1f3gHNoBodYw1LLs3ndY0UanYB1tC0lnsBec4USeYoU9AREaCH34PBeGgAR67fx
Anth0n

Activity: 144
Merit: 101

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 08:48:31 AM

I'm interested in seeing this psychological proof you speak of.
Tukotih

Activity: 70

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 08:55:24 AM

Or we simply start trading bitcents?
I can't come up with a good abbreviation though.

Donations always appreciated: 1GkRu9rZxk5iMRzsrcZxZ3BUHV1SWNZ9RB
IMPORTANT! Switch from deepbit: http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=8653.0
DamienBlack

Activity: 56
Merit: 1

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 08:58:14 AM

This is silly. You often have to buy stock in blocks of 100. Meaning someone has to have $10,000+ to invest in a $100+ stock. Bitcoins can be purchased in lots of .00000001. The "psychology" of one simply can't be compared to the other.
chiropteran

Activity: 348
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
June 09, 2011, 09:28:11 AM

Bitcoins can be purchased in lots of .00000001.

With 0.01 transaction fees each transaction, they effectively can't.  Even with the new client's 0.005 fee it's still not viable to buy in those denominations.

I realize I am pointing out another issue separate from this thread's topic, but both should be fixed.

cschmitz

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 09:32:39 AM

Sadly, this simple and elegant solution to the biggest issue bitcoin in practical use has is being ignored so far Smiley

proud 5.x gh/s miner. tips welcome at 1A132BPnYMrgYdDaRyLpRrLQU4aG1WLRtd
jaimedimon

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 02:11:02 PM

it is proven psychologically people slow down a lot in buying stocks with more than 2-digit prices. so they do stock splits of say 1-10 and break the stocks into smaller pieces. the prices start from $10 and climb all over again.

sure 10 $20 split stocks is equal to one $200 stock, you argue, so why do people buy one and not the other? it's just human nature.

unfortunately Bitcoins cannot do stock splits so once it hits $100 or more people will not stomach the prices.

you then say people can just buy 0.1 of Bitcoin but then that decimal point also turn people off in itself.

Actually you just think people won't buy stocks over $100 a share because that is the standard range of prices in the US.

In some other countries, stocks are traditionally split when they reach 2 digits.  Other countries not until they reach 4.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: