Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 03:33:59 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: This is the magnificent bitcoin gem  (Read 16579 times)
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
February 05, 2013, 01:03:31 AM

This could have went down in history. Now its just ....ehh.

No need to fret...

...soon, a commerce site will emerge, based on maxmint's game.

Stay tuned!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
velacreations

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 05, 2013, 10:35:18 PM

there's still the bitcoin gold bar: http://bitcoingoldbar.com

It still runs on the original idea of the gem.  It's out of my price range, but still cool.

greyhawk

Activity: 938
Merit: 1009

View Profile
February 05, 2013, 10:40:27 PM

No need to fret...

Stay tuned!

Will it be a Bitcoin diamond?
kokojie
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1003

View Profile
February 06, 2013, 02:40:22 PM

This should be moved to the gambling section.

btc: 15sFnThw58hiGHYXyUAasgfauifTEB1ZF6
DigitalHermit

Activity: 150
Merit: 100

Thank you! Thank you! ...

View Profile
February 06, 2013, 02:53:11 PM

One minor tweak I would make to this game: It should have an automatic reset after a certain amount of time of inactivity (say 1 day). When that happens, the site BUYS BACK the gem and resets it to the initial price.

Now everyone has a chance to participate again at the lower price. Otherwise, once the price reaches a certain point you're pool of vict... err "customers" shrinks to near zero.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 06, 2013, 06:00:15 PM

One minor tweak I would make to this game: It should have an automatic reset after a certain amount of time of inactivity (say 1 day). When that happens, the site BUYS BACK the gem and resets it to the initial price.

Now everyone has a chance to participate again at the lower price. Otherwise, once the price reaches a certain point you're pool of vict... err "customers" shrinks to near zero.

Won't work, for there's only approximately half the last purchase price in the site owner's coffer.

No need to fret...

Stay tuned!

Will it be a Bitcoin diamond?

No, purplewolf, it won't be a BitcoinDiamond.
maxmint (OP)

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 14, 2013, 05:25:31 PM

I has an automatic reset after 24 hours but as Phinnaeus Gage correctly says, the system can't buy back the gem, because the price paid goes to the previous owner.
@Phinnaeus: looking forward to your site – is it already in the works?

My PGP-Key: 462D02D8
Verify my messages using keybase: https://keybase.io/maxmint
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 14, 2013, 05:36:50 PM

I has an automatic reset after 24 hours but as Phinnaeus Gage correctly says, the system can't buy back the gem, because the price paid goes to the previous owner.
@Phinnaeus: looking forward to your site – is it already in the works?

Yes it is! Being developed as we speak (why doesn't this sentence make sense?--you know what I mean). The key part was overcoming the value lost(?) by the last option holder.

The .com domain name consists of 6 letters, two syllables, and easy to pronounce, coupled  with personifying the site somewhat.
runeks
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
February 14, 2013, 11:44:56 PM

There's a mistake in the description on the site:

You can be the next owner of the gem, the current price is 2.63 bitcoins. After your purchase, the gems worth will increase by 15% (0.39 bitcoins).
(my emphasis)

The correct text is:

You can be the next owner of the gem, the current price is 2.63 bitcoins. After your purchase, the gems price will increase by 15% (0.39 bitcoins).

Just because you're offering something for someone to buy at 2.63 BTC doesn't mean it's worth 2.63 BTC. Only if someone buys it at that price was it actually worth 2.63 BTC to the person who bought it.
maxmint (OP)

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 15, 2013, 06:49:25 PM

There's a mistake in the description on the site:

You can be the next owner of the gem, the current price is 2.63 bitcoins. After your purchase, the gems worth will increase by 15% (0.39 bitcoins).
(my emphasis)

The correct text is:

You can be the next owner of the gem, the current price is 2.63 bitcoins. After your purchase, the gems price will increase by 15% (0.39 bitcoins).

Just because you're offering something for someone to buy at 2.63 BTC doesn't mean it's worth 2.63 BTC. Only if someone buys it at that price was it actually worth 2.63 BTC to the person who bought it.

You're right, there's a difference between worth and price – I just changed that on the site.

My PGP-Key: 462D02D8
Verify my messages using keybase: https://keybase.io/maxmint
hardcore-fs

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
February 16, 2013, 01:53:15 AM

This is actually a ponzi scheme.

BTC:1PCTzvkZUFuUF7DA6aMEVjBUUp35wN5JtF
velacreations

View Profile
February 16, 2013, 02:31:56 AM

technically, it's a chain game, and people like it.

Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 16, 2013, 04:40:37 AM

technically, it's a chain game, and people like it.

Wait till you see how the concept was turned into a commerce site.
Otoh
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 3024
Merit: 1105

View Profile
February 16, 2013, 06:54:32 PM
Last edit: February 16, 2013, 08:59:17 PM by Otoh

I would suggest that you recommend the buyers of the gem pay a 0.001 btc (under 3 cents) miner's fee when sending their payment as some of the transactions hang for hours when ppl send with no fee at all (player BitBears recently for over 5 hours I believe) or too low for what is needed to get the confirmations. Better still insist upon this or the tx is cancelled, funds returned & game open again for new buyers.

Anyway I'm enjoying playing 'pass the gem' these last couple of days ~ thanks for making it, a Litecoin version would be sweet with it's faster confirms.

Edit: Bitbears is running a version of this game so that's prob why he jammed up this one that he just ripped off the idea from = pathetic really to see how low ppl will stoop to try & grab a few cents from other's creativity & work.

BTC = $c²     My BTC addie = 1otohotohMoQoxHuxLBveQiZcV3Pji3Tc 
Bitstamp Exchange: Referal Code
CHARITY | MY REP | PREDICTION 1 | PREDICTION 2 | PREDICTION 3
velacreations

View Profile
February 17, 2013, 01:34:11 AM

Wait till you see how the concept was turned into a commerce site.
I look forward to it!  I have been waiting for it, let me know if you need any help or advice on the backend of things.

velacreations

View Profile
February 17, 2013, 01:44:26 AM

I would suggest that you recommend the buyers of the gem pay a 0.001 btc (under 3 cents) miner's fee when sending their payment as some of the transactions hang for hours when ppl send with no fee at all (player BitBears recently for over 5 hours I believe) or too low for what is needed to get the confirmations. Better still insist upon this or the tx is cancelled, funds returned & game open again for new buyers.

Anyway I'm enjoying playing 'pass the gem' these last couple of days ~ thanks for making it, a Litecoin version would be sweet with it's faster confirms.

Edit: Bitbears is running a version of this game so that's prob why he jammed up this one that he just ripped off the idea from = pathetic really to see how low ppl will stoop to try & grab a few cents from other's creativity & work.
I didn't even realize my purchase went without a miner's fee.  I normally add a .0005 fee with all transactions.  But, looking back through the transaction history, it appears the game was idle for 1.5 hours.  It also appears that I'm not the only one that forgot his fee...  I'm sorry for that, I did not intend it.  I will make sure that doesn't happen again.

I have no competition with the Gem.  I like that site, I often play it, and I've reset it a time or 2, as well.  I've only ever wished the best for Max and his site.

While BitBears was inspired by the Gem, it wasn't a total ripoff.  One of the things I see with the Gem is that there is a lot of downtime, pretty much every day, as the price maxes out.  That was the idea behind BitBears, to create a game with little to no waiting, there is always a Bear to buy, it moves faster, and the game keeps going.  And while we've had a healthy amount of playing on BitBears, it doesn't have the following of the Gem, and I'm fine with that.  When the Gem maxes out for the day, people come play my game.  I think everyone is happy with that.

Otoh
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
February 17, 2013, 11:41:12 AM
Last edit: February 17, 2013, 11:51:27 AM by Otoh

I didn't even realize my purchase went without a miner's fee.  I normally add a .0005 fee with all transactions.  But, looking back through the transaction history, it appears the game was idle for 1.5 hours.  It also appears that I'm not the only one that forgot his fee...  I'm sorry for that, I did not intend it.  I will make sure that doesn't happen again.

I have no competition with the Gem.  I like that site, I often play it, and I've reset it a time or 2, as well.  I've only ever wished the best for Max and his site.

While BitBears was inspired by the Gem, it wasn't a total ripoff.  One of the things I see with the Gem is that there is a lot of downtime, pretty much every day, as the price maxes out.  That was the idea behind BitBears, to create a game with little to no waiting, there is always a Bear to buy, it moves faster, and the game keeps going.  And while we've had a healthy amount of playing on BitBears, it doesn't have the following of the Gem, and I'm fine with that.  When the Gem maxes out for the day, people come play my game.  I think everyone is happy with that.

"BitBears - better odds, lower price..." = no competition? A lot of your reply was more a thread jacking advert for your derived copy cat site than an apology, anyway as you've now promised at least pay a miner's fee in the future so as not to sabotage & spoil this game for others, thanks.

velacreations

View Profile
February 17, 2013, 03:47:46 PM

Look at the transactions:
My transaction was sent at 2013-02-16 15:43:09 http://blockchain.info/tx/84b7b17968391d7a9610c02d8cfeefa0a694171dc4aacb0e454991e5662e1b08
The next Gem purchase was sent at 2013-02-16 17:24:02 http://blockchain.info/tx/5c6738e996ce88f7a36d56486cc7332c61e6393ec64e29b769ff54b9febfb3ab

That's a difference of about 1.5 hours. 

Listen, I didn't mean to hang the game up, and I certainly didn't mean you to miss out on 1.5 hours of play on the Gem.  If you look at all of my last Gem purchases, they have always included the miner's fee.  And my future ones will as well.

This is supposed to be fun, it's a game.  Don't take it so seriously.

herzmeister
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1007

View Profile WWW
February 18, 2013, 05:53:05 PM

anyone?  Huh

24 h seems to be too short  Cry

https://localbitcoins.com/?ch=80k | BTC: 1LJvmd1iLi199eY7EVKtNQRW3LqZi8ZmmB
Otoh
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
February 18, 2013, 10:11:17 PM
Last edit: February 18, 2013, 10:57:51 PM by Otoh

anyone?  Huh

24 h seems to be too short  Cry

Sadly you bought at well over the current 'chicken out' price, the only (risky) option then is to keep re-buying in the hope that someone else will stumble in & make the same mistake as you did, or re-buy a few times fast so that it looks like there is still some interest in the game at that price, I feel your pain & have been there - though never ended up as the bag holder, this game has a nasty sting in it's tail for those who over anticipate when the music will stop - just write it down to experience (learning the hard way wise) & at least it looks like you are earning a decent living with your meister skills otherwise so will make it back soon enough.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: