Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 11:14:12 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: There has to be a better way (getting USD to BTC)  (Read 4755 times)
jtibble

Activity: 52
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
January 25, 2013, 08:54:26 PM

Look into Localbitcoins.com

Their markups are reasonable (for the convenience of having your coins within days, or even hours), and if you're dealing with a good seller, they'll have enough BTC on-hand to meet any of your needs. And they can do the ACH and slow transfer stuff behind the scenes (like a buffer).

Anyways, check it out. I use it a lot to sell and make contacts with buyers.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
January 25, 2013, 08:56:26 PM

As far as I know you can use BitInstant with any MoneyGram location, and those are virtually everywhere.
CurbsideProphet (OP)

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 25, 2013, 08:58:42 PM

Their markups are reasonable (for the convenience of having your coins within days, or even hours), and if you're dealing with a good seller, they'll have enough BTC on-hand to meet any of your needs. And they can do the ACH and slow transfer stuff behind the scenes (like a buffer).

There's 1 person about 5 miles from me but he's asking for $22USD/BTC....

Thanks though, I think I have a number of options to look into.  Maybe once I accumulate enough I can sell locally and get some of those ridiculous spreads down.

1ProphetnvP8ju2SxxRvVvyzCtTXDgLPJV
deadweasel

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 25, 2013, 08:59:37 PM

Thanks though, I think I have a number of options to look into.  Maybe once I accumulate enough I can sell locally and get some of those ridiculous spreads down.

Mebbe he didn't update recently.  Send him a message?

Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
January 25, 2013, 09:05:42 PM

How will someone who is willing to sell at spot but reluctant to place an ad on LocalBitcoins themselves able to find you unless you place an ad there yourself?

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

jtibble

Activity: 52

View Profile WWW
January 25, 2013, 09:07:12 PM

Mebbe he didn't update recently.  Send him a message?

I've found, as a seller, that I have to charge a 5 or 6% premium, to cover the 2% fee by going through BitInstant, and to make it worth my while. This guy must have it at like, 10%. But if he's dominating the market, he can charge exorbitantly.
CurbsideProphet (OP)

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 25, 2013, 10:26:53 PM

Tried to use Bitinstant and Dwolla would not allow the transfer until my photo ID is verified.  I think this will be the last time I use Dwolla esp with the apparent suspensions going on.

1ProphetnvP8ju2SxxRvVvyzCtTXDgLPJV
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
January 25, 2013, 10:37:51 PM

i still can't understand why ppl don't emphasize intl wiring more.  for me, its a flat fee of $40 and this is the only way i've ever done it.

if you wire $50K to gox, that's only a fee of 0.08%.
SgtSpike
Legendary

Merit: 1005

View Profile
January 25, 2013, 10:41:38 PM

i still can't understand why ppl don't emphasize intl wiring more.  for me, its a flat fee of $40 and this is the only way i've ever done it.

Probably because most people don't have $50k - they're talking about amounts more in the range of tens or hundreds of dollars.

Wires make a lot of sense if you're moving a large amount of money, but for most people, the fees would make a huge chunk of the money.
cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
January 25, 2013, 11:04:24 PM

Probably because most people don't have $50k - they're talking about amounts more in the range of tens or hundreds of dollars.

Wires make a lot of sense if you're moving a large amount of money, but for most people, the fees would make a huge chunk of the money.

ok.  let's use your numbers.  a $2000 wire at $40 = 2%.  add in whatever gox charges to make a trade (0.63% last i looked) and that still only 2.63% which is less than Bitinstant.

what's the problem?
SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
January 25, 2013, 11:15:32 PM

ok.  let's use your numbers.  a $2000 wire at $40 = 2%.  add in whatever gox charges to make a trade (0.63% last i looked) and that still only 2.63% which is less than Bitinstant.

what's the problem?
I said tens or hundreds of dollars, not thousands.

$100 at $40 fee = 40%.   + 0.63% for MtGox = 40.63%.

I don't personally know anyone who has enough money that they would be willing to invest more than a few hundred dollars into Bitcoins.  I do know several people who are interested, but wouldn't want to put more than $100 or so in.  $2,000 would be a very significant sum of money for just about everyone I know to invest in a volatile thing like Bitcoin.

I have a feeling MOST people buy Bitcoins in amounts of a few hundred or less.  This is why WT isn't touted as a viable method very often.  Yes, it is very viable for $2,000 or more.  Not as much for $1,000 or less.

A poll would be interesting in this regard.  I think I'll start one.
cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
January 25, 2013, 11:21:49 PM

what's the problem?

I don't personally know anyone who has enough money that they would be willing to invest more than a few hundred dollars into Bitcoins.  I do know several people who are interested, but wouldn't want to put more than $100 or so in.  $2,000 would be a very significant sum of money for just about everyone I know to invest in a volatile thing like Bitcoin.

I have a feeling MOST people buy Bitcoins in amounts of a few hundred or less.  This is why WT isn't touted as a viable method very often.  Yes, it is very viable for $2,000 or more.  Not as much for $1,000 or less.

i understand what you're saying but i think there are alot of ppl who are investing in the thousands of dollars range.  you can see the large single orders going off constantly on Clark Moody or mtgoxlive that number in the thousands of Bitcoins.  Cheesy
SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
January 25, 2013, 11:24:46 PM

what's the problem?

i understand what you're saying but i think there are alot of ppl who are investing in the thousands of dollars range.  you can see the large single orders going off constantly on Clark Moody or mtgoxlive that number in the thousands of Bitcoins.  Cheesy
I'd bet most of those are daytraders gaining/losing money back and forth.  I don't see any evidence that says those are all new investors popping in - I bet very few are.
cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
January 25, 2013, 11:29:30 PM

what's the problem?

I'd bet most of those are daytraders gaining/losing money back and forth.  I don't see any evidence that says those are all new investors popping in - I bet very few are.

we see 5000 BTC buys or sells on gox all the time that clearly represent a single order controlled by one person.  whether or not it's a first time order is irrelevant; the point is that this single person controls that amount of Bitcoins or USD's and they had to get that money to gox one way or another.
SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
January 25, 2013, 11:33:39 PM

what's the problem?

we see 5000 BTC buys or sells on gox all the time that clearly represent a single order controlled by one person.  whether or not it's a first time order is irrelevant; the point is that this single person controls that amount of Bitcoins or USD's and they had to get that money to gox one way or another.
I understand.  My point is, you could see 500 orders at 5,000 BTC, each one of which was definitely controlled by one person, and they could be trades conducted between only 10 different people, not 500 people.

I'm not trying to argue that people don't make large deposits, just that it isn't all that common compared to much smaller deposits/purchases of BTC.
cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
January 25, 2013, 11:41:15 PM

what's the problem?

I understand.  My point is, you could see 500 orders at 5,000 BTC, each one of which was definitely controlled by one person, and they could be trades conducted between only 10 different people, not 500 people.

I'm not trying to argue that people don't make large deposits, just that it isn't all that common compared to much smaller deposits/purchases of BTC.

that's probably true.

another way to look at this is the Richest List:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=92423.0:

assuming each address is controlled by one person (i think that's fair) there are at least 410 ppl with at least 2707 BTC's. at today's market price that's equivalent to $46912 or more.  i wonder how many addresses below the 410 have at least $200 in them?  probably alot.
constitution

Activity: 28

View Profile
January 25, 2013, 11:45:09 PM

Have you tried ?

I advise caution when using BitInstant there have been varying reports of selective scamming.
cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
January 25, 2013, 11:53:16 PM

oh yeah, the other way to look at how much ppl on an individual basis are pouring into Bitcoin is to look at the # of asic pre-orders.  it's extraordinary the # of units ppl are ordering and the money involved in purchasing those units.  way, way beyond hundreds of USD's.  more like tens of thousands of USD's.
SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
January 26, 2013, 12:00:47 AM

oh yeah, the other way to look at how much ppl on an individual basis are pouring into Bitcoin is to look at the # of asic pre-orders.  it's extraordinary the # of units ppl are ordering and the money involved in purchasing those units.  way, way beyond hundreds of USD's.  more like tens of thousands of USD's.
I don't see how this is relevant to the number of people submitting large deposits to MtGox.  It says nothing about the number of small BTC purchases relative to the number of large BTC purchases.
cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
January 26, 2013, 12:07:46 AM

I don't see how this is relevant to the number of people submitting large deposits to MtGox.  It says nothing about the number of small BTC purchases relative to the number of large BTC purchases.

yes, it might not be relevant to gox itself.  i'm just trying to demonstrate how much money individuals are putting into the Bitcoin system.  we'll never know exactly b/c these kind of estimations are going to be distributed across a large range of numbers and largely unobtainable.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: