Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 10:28:46 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: question on using localbitcoins.com paying in cash  (Read 1367 times)
gvuandrew (OP)

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 06, 2016, 06:56:29 AM

I've never made a bitcoin transaction so this will be my first, need some advice!

i need to pay in cash, $500 worth of USD to buy bitcoins

is this the way i should do this and standard?

we meet in public place
i show him the cash
he transfers to my wallet
i verify it's in my wallet
i hand over the money

please let me know what you suggest is the best way to protect myself
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
morantis

Activity: 868
Merit: 503

View Profile
March 06, 2016, 07:11:57 AM

I've never made a bitcoin transaction so this will be my first, need some advice!

we meet in public place
i show him the cash
i hand over the money

Wow, that is a fun adventure.  Obviously bring a smart-phone with a wallet app installed and wait for the actual transaction to appear in that wallet.  I use coin.space for a portable wallet.  The wallet itself should cover an appropriate number of confirmations so you don't have to deal with it.  Copy and paste the TX ID somewhere in a document in the phone and email it to another person, just to confirm the date and time.  Biggest thing is that even a few confirmations can take a long time.  Find an outside restaurant because you could be there a few minutes or even an hour or more.  Have fun and don't hand that money over until the transaction is in your wallet history.
justspare

Activity: 1022
Merit: 538

View Profile
March 06, 2016, 07:19:44 AM

we meet in public place
i show him the cash
i hand over the money

if you do that you need to wait until your bitcoin get confirmed because you don't know when your bitcoin transaction will failed and back to the sender due to few factor,1 confirmation is enough but 2 confirmation is better
I wouldn't really suggest you to do this kind of transaction in person. You will have to wait a very long time for the transaction to get confirmed.
gvuandrew (OP)

View Profile
March 06, 2016, 07:26:00 AM

thanks for replying

but i need to pay in cash, so how else could i do it if paying in cash?
justspare

Activity: 1022
Merit: 538

View Profile
March 06, 2016, 07:29:01 AM

thanks for replying

but i need to pay in cash, so how else could i do it if paying in cash?
There really is no other ways to buy Bitcoins in cash. You should just put the money in your bank account and buy Bitcoins with paypal.
Pursuer
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1163

Where is my ring of blades...

View Profile
March 06, 2016, 07:35:03 AM

we meet in public place
i show him the cash
i hand over the money

yeah, that is the general idea when buying bitcoin with cash.
you meet up and change cash face to face with the seller. but you have to keep in mind a couple of important things.
1. meet in a public place like a coffee shop or a mall not in a car or a dark alley! and do the exchange in the public place.
2. bring your own smart phone, ipad,... to check the transaction and see the confirmation on your own.

make sure to read this before doing anything:
http://www.coindesk.com/bitcoin-stolen-new-york-gunpoint-robbery/

Only Bitcoin
gvuandrew (OP)

View Profile
March 06, 2016, 07:36:10 AM

one guy replied to me already, he said i must pay him first though, then he'll transfer
and this in public place

he could just run though!
xuan87
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 06, 2016, 07:55:59 AM

Yeah meet at public place is a good idea like mall or coffee shop, if the meeting place has a security guard is better, but if you still doubt, bring some friends to accompany you while doing the transaction, or maybe you can buy it online using paypal or something so its safer..

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███████████████░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░██████████████████████░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░█████████████████████████░░░░
░░░░░░░░░█████████░░░░░░░░░░░████████░░░
░░░░░░░░███████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███████░░
░░░░░░░███████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█████░░
░░░░░░░███████░░░░░░░░░░░░░█████░██████░
░░░░░░░██████░░░░░█░░░░░████████░██████░
░░░░░░░███████░░░███░░░████░░███░██████░
░░░░░░░███████░░██░██░████░░███░░█████░░
░░░░░░░░██████░░██░░█░███░░███░░██████░░
░░░░░░░░░███████░██░█░█░░░███░░██████░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░██████░███░░░███░░░█████░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░██░░████░░░░░░██░░░██████░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░████░░░░░██████░░░█████░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░███████░░░░░░░░░███░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░█████████████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░███░░░█████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░██████░░░███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░██████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
▂▂ ▃▃ ▅ ▆ ▇ █ TeraWATT █ ▇ ▆ ▅ ▃▃ ▂▂
Global LED Adoption Through Blockchain Technology
≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒『ICO IS LIVE』≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒
WEBSITE』『WHITEPAPER
≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒
TWITTER』『TELEGRAM
Soros Shorts
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1616
Merit: 1003

View Profile
March 06, 2016, 01:00:33 PM

we meet in public place
i show him the cash
i hand over the money

if you do that you need to wait until your bitcoin get confirmed because you don't know when your bitcoin transaction will failed and back to the sender due to few factor,1 confirmation is enough but 2 confirmation is better

If it is a funded transaction, the sender will be localbitcoins. I prefer a funded transaction as opposed to one where the seller sends you coins directly from his wallet. That way if there are any issues regarding non-confirmation you can take it up directly with localbitcoins support instead of having to hunt down the seller.

For example, once the seller releases the transaction from localbitcoins escrow and the buyer sees the tx broadcast to his wallet, the buyer can give the cash and both parties can walk away immediately.
steveds
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 06, 2016, 01:05:12 PM

one guy replied to me already, he said i must pay him first though, then he'll transfer
and this in public place
What do you mean by you should pay it first ? if you are doing cash trade then ask any third party to keep the cash and just wait until he releases the coins.If the money is important to you then go with a Cop.

he could just run though!
It depends on the profile on localbitcoin you are trading with,paste the link to his id or any of his page.
gvuandrew (OP)

View Profile
March 06, 2016, 01:06:11 PM

If it is a funded transaction, the sender will be localbitcoins. I prefer a funded transaction as opposed to one where the seller sends you coins directly from his wallet. That way if there are any issues regarding non-confirmation you can take it up directly with localbitcoins support instead of having to hunt down the seller.

For example, once the seller releases the transaction from localbitcoins escrow and the buyer sees the tx broadcast to his wallet, the buyer can give the cash and both parties can walk away immediately.
[/quote]

hi, i'm paying in cash though, is it possible for seller to FIRST put his bitcoins into escrow at our meeting, i hand him money, then he releases into my localbitcoins account which is instant?
steveds
Legendary

Activity: 966

View Profile
March 06, 2016, 01:13:20 PM

hi, i'm paying in cash though, is it possible for seller to FIRST put his bitcoins into escrow at our meeting, i hand him money, then he releases into my localbitcoins account which is instant?
Once you start the trade the coins will be held in escrow by default and will be released if the trade is completed or any dispute occurs.But you should carry your laptop with you in order to avoid any risks or to prove it's you.Yes,your account will be credited instantly.

But again check the previous feedback's of the seller before trading.
talkbitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1032

All I know is that I know nothing.

View Profile
March 06, 2016, 01:17:31 PM

[/quote]

it will open up a chance for him to scam you (if he is a scammer) !

since you are dealing with cash, you won't have any proof. so he can tell the escrow you didn't even show up for the payment and takes back the deposit.

i think it is best everything is done between you two at the place.

.L I V E C O I N . N E T.
..PROFITBOX..
██  █████████████████████████
  █████████▄      ▄██████████
█████████████▄  ▄████████████
    █████████████████████████
  ██████████▀    ▀█ ▀████████
████  █████▀  ▄▄  ▀█  ▀██████
  ████████▀  ▄██▄  ▀█   ▀████
    ██████   ▀██▀   ██   ████
  █████████▄      ▄██████████
██  █████████▄  ▄████████████
  ███████████████████████████
██  █████████████████████████
  █████████████████████▀ ███
█████████████████████▀   ███
    █████████████▀     ████
  █████████████▀   ██    ████
████  █████▀     ██    ████
  ███████▀   ██    ██    ████
    █████    ██    ██    ████
  ███████    ██    ██    ████
██  █████    ██    ██    ████
  ███████████████████████████
aarons6
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

View Profile
March 06, 2016, 01:31:16 PM

it will open up a chance for him to scam you (if he is a scammer) !

since you are dealing with cash, you won't have any proof. so he can tell the escrow you didn't even show up for the payment and takes back the deposit.

i think it is best everything is done between you two at the place.

i agree with this..

just show him the cash, have him send the coins.. make him use a huge fee like .0005 (this is important, if he sends it with no fee it could fail) and wait till it gets confirmed.. then hand the cash and leave.

if he adds a decent fee it will go quick..
DimensionZ

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

Shit, did I leave the stove on?

View Profile
March 06, 2016, 01:31:57 PM

My advice is to meet at some coffee shop in the early afternoon when there are a lot of people around or bring some close friend with you or tell him to survey the exchange from a distance so if the seller tries to run with the cash you could get immediate help.

Soros Shorts
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1616
Merit: 1003

View Profile
March 06, 2016, 01:35:53 PM
Last edit: March 06, 2016, 01:56:53 PM by Soros Shorts

hi, i'm paying in cash though, is it possible for seller to FIRST put his bitcoins into escrow at our meeting, i hand him money, then he releases into my localbitcoins account which is insta

Yes, you give him your BTC address and he puts his funds into LBC escrow with that address. That guarantees that he can't use those coins for another transaction at least for the time being. Later, when he meets you and sees your cash, all you has to do is press the green Release Coins button while taking your cash. Text messages / emails will be sent out to confirm the completion of transaction.

Note that it is not necessary for him to release the coins to your localbitcoins BTC address. The address you give hime could be from any wallet.

Edit: There are some bullshit comments from people on this thread who have no idea how localbitcoins escrow works. Don't listen to them. It is not the same as some guy on the forum escrow. It is automated unless something goes wrong.

gvuandrew (OP)

View Profile
March 06, 2016, 01:41:07 PM

@Soros Shorts

so the escrow thing with giving him cash seems safe no?
i mean, yes he could technically run away, but this profile https://localbitcoins.com/accounts/profile/israeliboy/ seems very safe to me atleast, i have zero experience, but with a profile like this, would you feel 100% comfortable giving him cash and waiting for him to press the release button?
helloeverybody
Legendary

Activity: 1008

★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile WWW
March 06, 2016, 01:45:13 PM

@Soros Shorts

so the escrow thing with giving him cash seems safe no?
i mean, yes he could technically run away, but this profile https://localbitcoins.com/accounts/profile/israeliboy/ seems very safe to me atleast, i have zero experience, but with a profile like this, would you feel 100% comfortable giving him cash and waiting for him to press the release button?

If its noit a hacked or stolen account then id be more than happy enough to trust feedback like that. you should be able to weigh up pretty easily when you meet in person. Just make sure its a busy public place like a starbucks or something.

gvuandrew (OP)

View Profile
March 06, 2016, 01:46:35 PM

how would i know if it's a hacked or stolen account though?
helloeverybody
Legendary

Activity: 1008

★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile WWW
March 06, 2016, 01:49:06 PM

author=gvuandrew link=topic=1389015.msg14114745#msg14114745 date=1457271995]
how would i know if it's a hacked or stolen account though?

You wont really, but id ay thats your only risk. If the account isnt bought or hacked then the guy looks legit enough. The only other thing i can think is to check id etc but im not sure if you can see that on lbt.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: