Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 06:19:44 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why aren't you investing in a 2.0 platform?  (Read 1323 times)
Corepolitics (OP)

Activity: 39
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 07, 2016, 03:01:51 AM
Last edit: March 07, 2016, 07:29:04 AM by Corepolitics

As cryptocurrency investors previously we weren't investing in much. Promises of devs and their shill cheerleaders, greater fool theory, pump teams etc
we Investors we could not answer the important questions: why is PANDAcoin #1 different from PANDAcoin #2 ? Why will Fedoracoin become a long term store-of-value? Is it a good idea to remorgage my house to jump on Paycoin?
We were investing in shit, backed by nothing. With NO profit model and NO use-case outside bitcointalk forums.  Some of these crypto abominations will be described in the history books as pigs with chapstick because even lipstick was too fancy

Anyone who's been here for years must be sick of it. I took a break for a bit and was shocked to come back to bitcoin supporters divided. handbags at dawn all over reddit and squawking and squabbling like little bitches.
Not much redeeming in the scene aside from certain alts actually finally gaining an air of legitimacy.

the internet bubble ushered in the era when it wasn't only geeks on BBS's ,the fintech scene is clearly embracing blockchain tech with open arms. the blockchain era means your favorite project might actually be used in the real world, and we can finally start to begin making real valuations on these projects, just as you would a stock. Educated speculation, if you will. REAL money from the big boys coming in

So surely it makes sense to invest in something that may be getting real world use-cases, well funded developers and niche products targetting specific industry use cases?

Corepolitics (OP)

View Profile
March 07, 2016, 03:17:13 AM
Last edit: March 12, 2016, 03:30:54 PM by Corepolitics

For reference, here is some recent industry news. Everyones heard about the Eth news, but I think the Factom and Counterparty news are promising too.

BITSHARES
------  26th Feb 2016 -----

BitShares, a blockchain-based financial smart contract platform has announced the upgrade of BitShares 2.0. The platform is now built on a system known as “Graphene toolkit,” which is developed by an independent blockchain development company founded by the core developers of BitShares, called Cryptonomex Inc.With the implementation of a new crypto-technology called SmartChains, the soon-to-be released BitShares 2.0 reportedly is set to have the “Speed of the NASDAQ,” with a new “high-performance protocol and engine, capable of handling over 100,000 transactions per second. >> https://bitcoinmagazine.com/articles/bitshares-2-0-plans-adapt-new-smartchains-cryptotechnology-1434493809

COUNTERPARTY
------  3rd March 2016 -----
Blockchain startup Symbiont has scored a partnership with the potential to level the playing field in a growing group of New York City-based startups weaving the technology that underlies bitcoin into the heart of Wall Street.
While competitors in the space have been announcing a series of major partnerships, Symbiont has been relatively quiet until now. The company today unveiled a deal with Ipreo, a business co-owned by asset manager Blackstone and investment bank Goldman Sachs, to launch a new firm in the $3 trillion syndicated loan industry.

"With LTS, we addressed the legal and process problems that have plagued loan trade settlement,” said Kevin Marcus, president of Ipreo in a statement. “Our joint venture with Symbiont marries this solution with the transformative power of blockchain technology."

>> http://www.bizjournals.com/newyork/news/2016/03/03/blackstone-and-goldman-sachs-subsidiary-launches.html

ETHEREUM
------  1st March 2016 -----

BlockApps, a startup providing Ethereum blockchain software for enterprises, has become the first certified offering on Microsoft Azure's Blockchain-as-a-Service (BaaS) marketplace.

With its latest post, Microsoft also announced that asset exchange provider AlphaPoint and Internet-of-Things micropayments startup IOTA have joined its Azure BaaS platform.

Launched in October, Microsoft has been steadily adding providers to its blockchain testing environment for enterprises, though BlockApps' Strato platform is the first to gain certification ]http://www.coindesk.com/microsoft-ethereum-startup-blockchain/

FACTOM

------ 28th Feb 2016 -----
Factom has since signed a Memorandum of Understanding with the international tech consulting firm iSoftStone, a firm with a network that includes 22 offshore delivery centers across China and over 20,000 employees. Factom will offer business advice and technical knowledge as iSoftStone shapes a blockchain strategy for its smart city solution.

As part of the new agreement with Factom, ISoftStone will use Factom’s Apollo Product to provide a data storage, auditing, and verification layer for several regions in China. iSoftStone plans to use the platform to store smart city sensor data, which can monitor a range of data, from pollution to traffic.

Further strengthening ties in the region, Factom recently announced a partnership with Ancun Zhengxin, one of China’s largest data notarization services. This will enable Ancun to offer blockchain powered versions of their internet and voice notary services, which cover a range of formats, including documents, email, instant messaging, official contracts, copyrights, electronic government data, certifications, and even medical data. Ancun would be able to offer these services in their offices, which number over 100 in China  .>>  http://bravenewcoin.com/news/factom-securing-blockchain-partnerships-in-china/
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3014

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
March 07, 2016, 03:42:14 AM

Yup. It's a very interesting time. So much has been learnt and businesses and governments are open to crypto related ideas. If one hooks a major use case it could dwarf the current market cap of all coins. No idea whether that system exists now but there's a good chance it'll arrive at some point. The shitcoin has been buried forever hopefully.
25hashcoin

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 07, 2016, 06:33:49 AM

Simple. All those platforms will eventually be built on top of bitcoin. They will all be rendered useless/worthless.

Bitcoin - Peer to Peer Electronic CASH
Corepolitics (OP)

View Profile
March 07, 2016, 07:19:02 AM

Yup. It's a very interesting time. So much has been learnt and businesses and governments are open to crypto related ideas. If one hooks a major use case it could dwarf the current market cap of all coins. No idea whether that system exists now but there's a good chance it'll arrive at some point. The shitcoin has been buried forever hopefully.

Hear Hear!  Grin. let's hope the days of horseshit horsecoins, economies built on tipping faucets, and fiscal stimulation by ryan pumper and his band of merry men are well and truly behind us .

I am not investing in a 2.0 platform for 1 reason only:

Because I'm investing in them all

Good man.

Simple. All those platforms will eventually be built on top of bitcoin. They will all be rendered useless/worthless.

Few ears ago I had the opportunity to invest in a business developing batteries. they were working with lead acid technology. At that time I knew the future in energy storage lied in alternate battery storage (supercaps, nanophosphates, lithium etc) They were smaller, lighter with better lifespan, better depth of discharge and so on. Nobody wants a car battery in a cellphone.  I knew eventually new tech would usurp lead acid rendering this companies stock /worthless and all their R&D useless. Fast forward to today and the stock performed well over the past years and is still performing fine. Plenty of people still using Lead batteries. Same story with SSD's and HDD's. There were so many eventualities to consider that without a crystal ball not investing based on what might happen years down the line was a poor decision.

My point is what you said is a hypothesis, not an absolute. But let's pretend it's a fact. that at some point Bitcoin will clone every feature of Bitshares, CounterParty, Ethereum,  Factom, Maid etc,
That point has not arrived today. That's the important thing to note.  if you are not an investor but a consumer, or just care about holding btc you can sit pretty because non of this applies to you

If you are a speculator however, why would you not take advantage of investing in something whilst it exists, and instead decide to just wait until said innovation is becomes the norm? if you wait till that time you have missed your chance to get in the door early. You can use your same argument of inevitable evolution to say *eventually* bitcoin will be built into something else and thus be rendered useless/worthless. Does that mean it's not an exciting chance today, should we not invest? Of course not!
fartbags
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1004

View Profile
March 07, 2016, 08:28:29 AM

Because I'm investing in 3.0 technology! DUH

This "smart contract" stuff is basic and played out now. We need more than that.

Marc De Mesel

Activity: 327
Merit: 250

The Best Investment Deserves The Largest Exposure

View Profile
March 07, 2016, 08:51:16 AM

I do, I invest in Nxt.

Absent from the list.

Nxt was the first cryptoplatform released, already end 2013.

It was the first 100% Proof Of Stake, offering the first decentralised messaging, reaching $100 million market cap within a few months.

Half a year later it was the first with a decentralized exchange, and today the most assets traded.

1 year later it was the first with a decentralised Monetary System, allowing you to launch your own coin with a few clicks.

It continues to be at the leading edge, just released decentralized shuffling, the first cryptoplatform offering this.

As an investment it's also interesting as it's much cheaper than many other cryptoplatforms mentioned above.

Did you know Nxt exists?

Early Bitcoin, Byteball & Bitcoin Cash Investor. Loving Voluntarysm, Lambos & Girls Wink
Check out my: https://youtube.com/user/Marcdemesel - https://twitter.com/marcdemesel & https://instagram.com/marc_de_mesel
NUFCrichard
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1003

View Profile
March 07, 2016, 09:46:53 AM

Counterparty doesn't seem to be as high quality as the others.  Too much downtime I guess.
Maybe that is why the price hasn't really done anything whereas the others are jumping up and down constantly!
Marc De Mesel

Activity: 327
Merit: 250

The Best Investment Deserves The Largest Exposure

View Profile
March 07, 2016, 10:13:07 AM
Last edit: March 07, 2016, 05:29:19 PM by Marc De Mesel

Counterparty doesn't seem to be as high quality as the others.  Too much downtime I guess.
Maybe that is why the price hasn't really done anything whereas the others are jumping up and down constantly!

I think platforms build on top of bitcoin have the problem that bitcoin blockchain is slow, as well as not easy to build on. Due to this, actual trading on that blockchain is not practical. I think this is why Counterparty it's own trading platform DEX is not taking off, instead people just launch their assets there and then move most shares to centralised exchanges like poloniex for actual trading.

As a consequence, if you want to buy any of these assets you need to go to poloniex for the best prices/highest liquidity, same for omni/mastercoin by the way. For me this means they failed in building a decentralized exchange as counterparty risk is still huge and withdrawing your assets to the blockchain probably a pain in the ass, if at all possible.

The future doesn't look much better as it seems bitcoin blockchain will not just be slow but become also expensive to use.

Early Bitcoin, Byteball & Bitcoin Cash Investor. Loving Voluntarysm, Lambos & Girls Wink
Check out my: https://youtube.com/user/Marcdemesel - https://twitter.com/marcdemesel & https://instagram.com/marc_de_mesel
Corepolitics (OP)

View Profile
March 08, 2016, 01:40:05 AM

I do, I invest in Nxt.

Absent from the list.

Nxt was the first cryptoplatform released, already end 2013.

It was the first 100% Proof Of Stake, offering the first decentralised messaging, reaching $100 million market cap within a few months.

Half a year later it was the first with a decentralized exchange, and today the most assets traded.

1 year later it was the first with a decentralised Monetary System, allowing you to launch your own coin with a few clicks.

It continues to be at the leading edge, just released decentralized shuffling, the first cryptoplatform offering this.

As an investment it's also interesting as it's much cheaper than many other cryptoplatforms mentioned above.

Did you know Nxt exists?

Hi Marc,

I'm aware of NXT's existence and still hold a small stake traded from jl777 some time ago  Wink (also own some XEM)  BTER hack and roll back discussion was an unfortunate circumstance kicking off a decline in price
Never was a fan of the distribution mechanism but loved the platform itself . The fast block times were a major advantage compared to platforms built on bitcoin.
I don't believe it was the first with a decentralized exchange or issuance system but agree on the PoS and messaging portion of your message. It had (and still does have) a lot of innovation going for it and I distinctly remember the well designed & intuitive wallet being a breath of fresh air.

The lack of inclusion of NXT in the list does not mean it's not a 2.0 project. It clearly is, however the list above simply showcases external industry interest/partnerships and so forth. Because traditionally this is something alts never had, so I'm trying to cherrypick the examples that are garnering interest.

As far as I could see there are no recent press releases announcing companie(s) adopting NXT as a base layer tech stack, or leveraging NXT at all outside of our own insular cryptocoin commnity boards. If I'm wrong and there is, then I'm interested I'll include it.

fartbags
Legendary

View Profile
March 08, 2016, 01:44:29 AM

Because I'm investing in 3.0 technology! DUH

This "smart contract" stuff is basic and played out now. We need more than that.

You should have been invested into 2.0 technologies in 2014 and 2015. Now we need a 3.0 technology that uses PoS, smart contracts and also has decentralized storage and content delivery. Synereo is the closest thing to a 3.0 tech but they're so over valued. Not much profits to be had with them.

Profits seem to be drying up all around as bigger investors are getting involved. It removes the ability to become a millionaire with $1,000. Now the millionaires try to double their money and they're happy. The small people aren't so happy.

meme magic

Activity: 115
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 08, 2016, 01:46:24 AM

Its fun when people try to brand their shit as 2.0, and nobody here takes that bait anymore.

sorry cryptocoins arent cell phone network buzzwords :/
kelsey
Legendary

Activity: 1876
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 08, 2016, 02:23:07 AM

to the OP's title question.

1) i'm yet to see a so called 2.0 platform that's an improvement on bitcoin's blockchain (however there is quiet a few so called copy paste alts that improve on bitcoin funnily enough). just because its original code doesn't automatically make it better.

2) most 2.0 type devs have lost the plot on the entire point of p2p currency ie being an alternative to the banks (eg not trying to create a backend platform for the banks).
also whats the point in being an alternative to the banks if we ourselves become the greedy bankers.

3) if we just jump onto the latest platform plugged as the most 'innovative' all the time, no platform will achieve mass adoption. adoption is way more important then the latest crazy in innovation to sell snake oil.
we are simple trying to create a currency, tis not a mission to mars.
fartbags
Legendary

View Profile
March 08, 2016, 02:56:51 AM

NXT is currently actually working on speeding up its speed and improving its scalability since Ethereum is also in this phase (kicking around scalability options for when it eventually develops a solution like BitShares which is currently the smartchain to beat with 3 second blocks and VISA level scalability).

All we can say is "go NXT devs, make the crypto community proud!"

As for 3.0

you have Synereo, MUSE, and Alexandria

All projects utilize 2.0 technologies (platform coins and data coins/systems) to help artists monetize their art and attention

You want to make small people, happy, then check out the guppies making Alexandria and tell me that they are not David to Synereo's Goliath.

http://blocktech.com

FLO is a good coin. I should buy some more of that one.

I have hope that some of these small altcoins can blow up huge once they switch to a 3.0 technology that scales. Most of them are just weak bitcoin clones.

Spoetnik
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1011

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
March 08, 2016, 04:44:36 AM

@Newbie / OP

"2.0 platform?"

Sounds like (and is) gay gimmicky BS.

EDIT:
Round them all up that have that title and tell me what they have in common. Wink

FUD first & ask questions later™
TPTB_need_war

Activity: 420
Merit: 262

View Profile
March 08, 2016, 05:57:41 AM

[more bullshit press releases that talk but don't explain why their technology is flawed]

Are there more fools to buy this shit and lose their money, as they are about to by buying ETH at nosebleed prices.

Spoetnik
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1011

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
March 08, 2016, 07:25:47 AM

[more bullshit press releases that talk but don't explain why their technology is flawed]

Are there more fools to buy this shit and lose their money, as they are about to by buying ETH at nosebleed prices.

You can track them..

Watch as they try to defend what ever they are investing in.. then how they cry SCAMMER !!!!1111
Later..

I am tired of hearing it.

Screw 'em.
Why do i have to be treated like dog shit for trying to warn users ?
Why do ALL the older users here warn these guys ?

The altcoin scene died a long loooong time ago.
All i see are the 1,000's of desperate maggots left here.
It's disgusting.
If this was 2012 ETH (for example) would not even have been able to get going.. for obvious reasons.
it would have been flamed off the board !
..like Ripple was back then.

These new faggots showed up and screwed up the scene with their corrupt greedy antics.
You supported Doge coin ?
Your a cancerous piece of shit .

Who made 2.0 platforms ?
the same faggots who made the 1st 7000+ shit coins.

And the term is just more buzzword bullshit too.

I already responded to this topic already posted before so i will not rehash technically my reply
i am fed up with repeating myself 100's of times..

Reminds me of the iGotSpots scam topic..
Spots warned you all.. I warned you all.. BCX warned you all.. TPTB_need_war  warned you all..
And you shit heads expect me to have sympathy for you whining on that Scam topic that you got taken on Gorilla coin or something ?
Serves you right you little idiots.. go fuck yourselves.
Did i see you "Investors" warning others before hand ?
FUCK NO !
You ignored ALL warnings then poured cash all over the scheme then LATER when you didn't make money from it
THEN and ONLY then did you call out the big bad evil scammer.
As usual you greedy pieces of shit just loiter around silently ignoring any scams
..as long as you can make money off them.
But god forbid you are the "Lower" guy on the Pyramid scheme LOL

Hey i got a great idea.. Cry FUD
Then when you don't profit off the scheme then.. cry Scammer hahahha
Oh Crypto .. you so Legit  Cheesy

PLeeze miuster caen i haz buy's yur IPO coin;z   Cry
I caan sends you ma money fr0m teh banks !!!11
Pleeeze mister i need 2 buy my f1rst pa1r of shoies !!!

BITCOINTALK: responsible for 3rd World Shoe ownership WORLD WIDE !

FUD first & ask questions later™
Corepolitics (OP)

View Profile
March 08, 2016, 10:53:38 AM
Last edit: March 08, 2016, 11:15:36 AM by Corepolitics

to the OP's title question.

1) i'm yet to see a so called 2.0 platform that's an improvement on bitcoin's blockchain (however there is quiet a few so called copy paste alts that improve on bitcoin funnily enough). just because its original code doesn't automatically make it better.

2) most 2.0 type devs have lost the plot on the entire point of p2p currency ie being an alternative to the banks (eg not trying to create a backend platform for the banks).
also whats the point in being an alternative to the banks if we ourselves become the greedy bankers.

3) if we just jump onto the latest platform plugged as the most 'innovative' all the time, no platform will achieve mass adoption. adoption is way more important then the latest crazy in innovation to sell snake oil.
we are simple trying to create a currency, tis not a mission to mars.

I feel as if I've totally mis-explained my initial post.

As far as your point 1) goes, I don't think what the examples here are improvements on bitcoin. I think in some instances the developers make no effort to claim that, instead focusing on the angle that these projects are just filling in a niche that would be hard to serve on bitcoin itself and allowing speculators to capitalize on that aspect.

I'm not now, and can't envision a future of ever storing wealth on factom for example. It's ludicrous. I don't for a second beleive it will ever become a currency or a commodity with hundreds of thousands of users like bitcoin, and consider it totally plausible for it to vanish off and be valued at next to nothing 2 years to come, just like hundreds of 'revolutionary' alts that came before it. However with my speculator hat on and nothing more I've still "invested" in it and some of the other examples in my post, because unlike say..litecoin we are actually seeing external industry use of these alts.

Granted some of these press releases are just slightly more sexed up variations of the fake press releases popularised by auroracoin, paycoin etc designed to inflate the price temporarily and lure in impressionable sheep market participants but some of these are sound. "let's commision a research lab and accelerator program to fund VertCoin development"  said no bank COO ever. However fintech scene is excited about ETH, work is going on in the background and I've seen it first hand no matter what anyones personal opinion on it is.

as far as your 2) points goes, I think it kind of ties in with what I wrote above. CounterParty, for instance isn't a p2p currency, and doesn't pretend to be. Nobody is paying for coffee with XCP. It's not intended to supplant bitcoin, and that's why it uses the bitcoin blockchain instead of splintering off diverting resources on attempting to secure a secondary chain.  It's simply a meta-layer that was designed to deal with the very real limitations of the bitcoin scripting engine

And as 3) goes, I agree and largely prefer to support solutions that I think will are complimentary to bitcoin for exactly that reason. If something is built on bitcoin, or incorporates bitcoin it expands it's user base,  increases the user base concerned with securing it, increases it's exposure and ergo overall value proposition

@Newbie / OP

"2.0 platform?"

Sounds like (and is) gay gimmicky BS.

EDIT:
Round them all up that have that title and tell me what they have in common. Wink

this is a new account but  I've been around for quite a while. Taken many breaks and just check in occasionally.  Smiley
So many alts are shit so I understand why people just don't touch them anymore. however I get sick sometimes with people shitting on "gimmicky" alts without truly understanding the reason for their existance or their use cases or giving realistic arguments against them.

A few years ago I had a simple use case: I wanted to use the blockchain to create a "database" of sorts.
why use the blockchain instead of a normal database?  In a nutshell; it's a transparent, globally shared, self-replicating, immutable ledger. It enables open, peer-to-peer, real-time settlement without the need for financial intermediaries. Nothing else quite like it.  

After experiencing more exchange hacks and scams than I ever imagined I felt nautious and completely exasperated with the state of the bitcoin ecosystem. Mtgox debacle topped it all off because I couldn't beleive anyone was still using gox after the first hack  Ironically this decentralised currencies biggest pitfall was users trusting centralized parties with their private keys. A shambles. Having been around in the early days, and going back and re-discovering early markets code in the reference client I don't beleive this is what satoshi ever intended.

I realised that using CounterParty's Protocol-based trustless escrow possible to to create a token, to distribute this token to users and allow the users to send this token to each other completely without counterparty risk. If a user wants to exchange one token for another token they are able to atomically swap via a decentralized, deterministic order matching engine. Perhaps I'm dreamng big but I think the implications for such a thing is potentially huge.  
At the time (and today) that was NOT possible with any other solution. Literally didn't exist.

I heard individuals in the past say why do we need an altcoin to create a token, when we can use colored coins, without realising you can create a token using counterparty with bitcoin and nothing more. then people say well why do you need an altcoin for any element? AFAIK nobody has a way to swap tokens in a decentralized manner without a proxy coin. All this sidechains talk is unproven but should it become proven and real, counterparty would too be useless. I'm only investing in it now because although clearly next to nobody uses it right now and it has plenty of pitfalls, it exists and is real, and I think it has certain applications. I have seen external money back those same assertions too, therefore I see a profit potential. Same story with ETH. Years ago  that wasn't true of anything aside from bitcoin proper.

Hi Anonymint.
As an example, just pulling up an old link here from 2 years ago: http://counterparty.io/news/introducing-fully-trustless-games-on-blockchain/   (do you think this is total bullshit, or actually something interesting?)
Read quite a few of your posts before but don't believe you've ever gone into depth on Counterparty. would genuinely be interested to hear your views on why you think it is flawed.
Does it bring nothing new to the table?
TPTB_need_war

Activity: 420
Merit: 262

View Profile
March 08, 2016, 11:15:53 AM

Sorry I haven't analyzed Counterparty. I am at the limit of altcoins that I can research. I need focus more on my own work. After studying dozens of altcoins from Stellar to Factom to Iota to Dash, etc and finding flaws in all of them, I am confident there is nothing out there that is doing block chain consensus in a way that can scale (to millions of users) decentralized, not even Monero.

Obviously Counterparty is built on Bitcoin's block chain so inherits the scalability issues plaguing Bitcoin.

sofu
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1085

Degenerate Crypto Gambler

View Profile
March 08, 2016, 11:21:35 AM

Sorry I haven't analyzed Counterparty. I am at the limit of altcoins that I can research. I need focus more on my own work. After studying dozens of altcoins from Stellar to Factom to Iota to Dash, etc and finding flaws in all of them, I am confident there is nothing out there that is doing block chain consensus in a way that can scale decentralized, not even Monero.

Obviously Counterparty is built on Bitcoin's block chain so inherits the scalability issues plaguing Bitcoin.

Can't wait for the ANN thread of your coin. I guess you will have a lot of friendly people there  Cheesy

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: