Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 05:45:34 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Archived Content  (Read 12095 times)
Lannister (OP)

Activity: 140
Merit: 500

I'm blocking all private messages. Use Bitmessage!

View Profile
March 07, 2016, 04:24:33 PM
Last edit: April 13, 2016, 07:57:15 PM by Lannister

Join our discussion in our official announcement thread.

No, I will not disclose my real name on the Internet. The very simple reason I’m anonymous is so that I can talk freely about a free web. One mistake people often make is having the faulty assumption that knowing my real name or my association with a respected person, group or organization might get them to trust me more. In fact, I have no authority here. Elastic Project is a loosely associated group of developers which constantly changes over time. If you prefer projects with a more centralized structure, then please move on. Specifically, I kindly ask you to refrain from any messages that try to convince me of the contrary. My time is too valuable to be wasted with the same discussion again and again.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Evil-Knievel
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1168

View Profile
March 07, 2016, 04:33:06 PM
Last edit: April 19, 2016, 11:57:38 AM by Evil-Knievel

This message was too old and has been purged
Evil-Knievel
Legendary

View Profile
March 07, 2016, 04:52:02 PM
Last edit: April 19, 2016, 11:57:32 AM by Evil-Knievel

Nesp

Activity: 124
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 07, 2016, 05:03:49 PM

Algo?

also 404 on http://elastic.pro/send.html
Evil-Knievel
Legendary

View Profile
March 07, 2016, 05:05:05 PM
Last edit: April 19, 2016, 11:57:26 AM by Evil-Knievel

Evil-Knievel
Legendary

View Profile
March 07, 2016, 05:05:39 PM
Last edit: April 19, 2016, 11:57:19 AM by Evil-Knievel

pol5
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1005

View Profile
March 07, 2016, 06:07:03 PM

watching    .   good luck Smiley
riceberry

Activity: 491

View Profile
March 07, 2016, 06:56:05 PM

Also watching, looks nice!
riceberry

Activity: 491

View Profile
March 07, 2016, 07:06:12 PM

Will there be a wallet to hold ELC ? When is the launch date?

It says on your website: 9.10 % of all coins distributed. If no more people buy ELC, what will happen to the other 90.9 % of coins? Burned?

What is the maximum number of ELC that will exist?
davide72
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1014

View Profile
March 07, 2016, 07:26:28 PM

Nice project, i will buy some!
Evil-Knievel
Legendary

View Profile
March 07, 2016, 10:02:54 PM
Last edit: April 19, 2016, 11:57:11 AM by Evil-Knievel

xxxgoodgirls
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 07, 2016, 10:48:18 PM

Yes, there will be a wallet as well. Regarding the launch date ... this depends on the developers and how long they think they need.  I expect it to be 100 days at most. I hope that the community can agree on some sort of bug bounty fund to speed up that process: please understand I cannot decide anything as I am not in charge of the project. But we as a community can find a consensus which will be fine for Lannister, I am sure.

Hey there EK, I have few questions as investor.
Who are the developers?
Do you believe that a former dev team isn't needed for such a quite bleeding edge project?
Who is Lannister:? What is his background and how has he been choosen?
What will your role be? I really liked your way of thinking, I hope you will take anyway a huge part of this.

In summary, the Intel Management Engine and its applications are a backdoor with total access to and control over the rest of the PC. The ME is a threat to freedom, security, and privacy, and the libreboot project strongly recommends avoiding it entirely. Since recent versions of it can’t be removed, this means avoiding all recent generations of Intel hardware. details https://libreboot.org/faq.html#intelme --- https://tehnoetic.com/laptops --- https://store.vikings.net/x200-ryf-certfied
Dazza

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 08, 2016, 06:11:27 AM

Yes, there will be a wallet as well. Regarding the launch date ... this depends on the developers and how long they think they need.  I expect it to be 100 days at most. I hope that the community can agree on some sort of bug bounty fund to speed up that process: please understand I cannot decide anything as I am not in charge of the project. But we as a community can find a consensus which will be fine for Lannister, I am sure.

Hey there EK, I have few questions as investor.
Who are the developers?
Do you believe that a former dev team isn't needed for such a quite bleeding edge project?
Who is Lannister:? What is his background and how has he been choosen?
What will your role be? I really liked your way of thinking, I hope you will take anyway a huge part of this.

I'd like to add:  What is Lionel's current role in the project.  He seems to have disappeared without trace.
Dazza

View Profile
March 08, 2016, 06:23:34 AM

From the previous thread

Quote from: Cryptorials
Phew, with all the technical talk about how it will work I have been worrying that the economic aspect may not end up being as I thought when I put my money in, so its good to know that this economic advantage will be preserved.

The original engine design proved to be unfeasible, and we've changed it.  Otherwise the ship is the same and the destination is the same.  The passenger experience should be the same too.
Dazza

View Profile
March 08, 2016, 06:39:52 AM
Last edit: March 08, 2016, 04:41:18 PM by Dazza

From the previous thread

Quote from: Dink
I am a bit confused on the FAA attack ...it seems a miner would not know what he is working or at least should not know, so while he may submitted an algorithm he should not have access to nor know what he is working on.

Until someone comes up with a practical implementation of homomorphic encryption it will not be possible to prevent a miner from having access to or knowing what he is working on.  In respect of the FAA, we are not talking about an arbitrary miner, but a malicious attacker who, we must assume, will be capable of manipulating the system in various ways, some of which we may not be able to anticipate or prevent.

It is stated in the Intro   "All this happens "behind the scenes" in a process called mining with out the requirement of manual intervention."

I agree that manual intervention should not be required, i.e., there should be simple setup options that do not require manual intervention.  However I think some miners will prefer to exercise more control over the work that they do, and I think they should be allowed to do this.

It seems there should be a seperation of miners from being able to know what they are working from the beginning.

Not possible, without homomorphic encryption as mentioned above.  Otherwise the problem is like implementing DRM in a consumer product.  You can keep out unsophisticated users, but you will never be able to keep out dedicated and skilled hackers.
signingoff

Activity: 290
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 08, 2016, 06:51:39 AM

When the will the project be finished.
Do you have a detail plan?
Dazza

View Profile
March 08, 2016, 06:58:21 AM

From the previous thread

Quote from: Cryptorials
My reasoning is that I would anticipate a distributed network being less efficient than a commercial operation with wholesale electricity and so on, meaning that providing a competitive price for computation may not be easy.

I have thought about this too.  I think there are three factors which will tend to mitigate this issue.

First by "commercial operation" I assume you mean data centres and the like.  In addition to the cost of the electricity, these will have to pay staff and rent, and amortise the cost of the hardware.  A home user who bought his computer for other purposes will not need to consider these costs.

Similarly, for a home user who is just using his spare cycles while his computer is on for another purpose, only needs to consider the difference in his computer's electricity usage between active and on-but-idle, not the difference between active and off.

Finally if the weather is cold, any extra heat produced by the computer serves to reduce his other heating costs.

One thing that attracted me to this was the idea that miners would also earn transactions fees - effectively subsidizing the cost of computation for the customer (and subsidizing the cost of mining for the cryptocurrency as well) and making this network highly competitive on price. But for that to work, you need transactions taking place, which means marketing this as both a computation cluster and a digital currency or 'coin'.

I entirely agree with marketing it as (and on the technical side, making it into) the best, most useful general cryptocurrency there is, independent of its role as an infrastructure to a distributed computing market.  To that end, I am in favour of keeping the transaction fees as low as possible.
Dazza

View Profile
March 08, 2016, 07:12:57 AM

From the previous thread

Quote from: Nihilnegativum
Another thing I would suggest for the project is to drop the 'Coin' or rebrand completely, by its concept this isn't another coin, but something in the ranks of ethereum/augur etc. so calling it a coin really devalues it, and hides it in the multitude of all the clonecoins.

I agree that we should drop the word coin from the project as a whole, (and we appear to have already done so).  "Elastic Coin" is a reasonable name for the cryptocurrency component.  People understand the word "coin".
Dazza

View Profile
March 08, 2016, 07:34:55 AM

From the previous thread

Quote from: SockPuppetAccount

I had a look at that thread.  My first thought was that it was functionally identical to what we are trying to do here.

I wanted to see how far they'd gotten with it, so I skipped over to the last page in that thread, and discovered that it had morphed into Tau-chain, a project which I criticised here.  Even if Tau-chain is a worthwhile project, it doesn't appear to be the same project that Zennet started as.

But thank you very much for your link anyway, and I would strongly encourage people here to post links to other interesting projects which you think might be relevant.

Forgive my skepticism as your intentions maybe honorable and I respect lofty goals, but I cannot conceive of a project of this complexity ever getting off the ground with the amount of funding you are likely to raise.

I hope you prove me wrong but I'll be sitting on the sidelines for this one.  Good luck.

I agree that the challenges to be overcome are formidable.  This might be why Zennet abandoned its original goal.
Dazza

View Profile
March 08, 2016, 07:46:38 AM
Last edit: March 08, 2016, 08:03:47 AM by Dazza

From the previous thread

Quote from: Evil-Knievel
Quote from: Dazza
How does proof of storage work?

... or not work. You have to submit a certain piece of a file to the network to prove you have stored it. This piece is pseudorandom.
In fact, you can just query someone else, fetch that peace (as the file is stored redundantly on multiple peers) and upload it as a proof of storage.

I was really hoping for something smarter than that.

I thought that the miner can increase his chance for a PoS block by submitting proof of works (for which he of course also gets paid). Would be not the typical rich gets richer, but more like hard-working gets rewarded.

That just opens us up to FAA again.

PoS with no (financial) reward for the block-winner, (or just the transaction fees which I continue to advocate should be minimal) would also leave only the hard-working (financially) rewarded.  Those who just hold coin would be rewarded by the maintenance and possible appreciation of the value of their holding, which can only happen if blocks are regularly generated.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: