Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 07:54:33 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: MONERO DASH and VNL EXPOSED AS NOT ANON by VERGE CURRENCY (former DogeCoinDark)  (Read 3527 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
traumschiff (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1001

180 BPM

View Profile
March 08, 2016, 11:30:18 AM
Last edit: March 09, 2016, 09:51:30 AM by traumschiff

[Let's not discuss Ringsigs vs mixing vs blending here, everyone already knows the differences]

Let's see:

(Source: https://twitter.com/Zedux/status/706672041479417857)

There was also another tweet from user https://twitter.com/CryptoRekt saying that Monero (and the rest) is inferior to $XVG Verge's anonymity sollution, but was since deleted and I'm blocked so not sure if he did a new tweet or not.

Thread of Verge: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1365894.msg14133120#msg14133120 (Self-Moderated of course)

Verge's anonymity sollution: a wallet that does no mixing, no ringsigs and no form of tx obfuscation, but connects to I2P from 4 nodes that are all hosted from the developer and they hide your IP. They call it the "Blackhole" tech.

When I asked the Verge (former DogeCoinDark) developer on his thread on what he considers anon and why he supports his people tweeting bullshit he told me that every crypto running over the clearnet is exposed and that they use a unique anon sollution.

---
Some additional tweets for fun:

https://twitter.com/CryptoOz/status/706336859048120320

https://twitter.com/DAndreamining/status/706303206595416065

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
bathrobehero
Legendary

Activity: 2002
Merit: 1051

ICO? Not even once.

View Profile
March 08, 2016, 11:34:02 AM

connects to I2P from 4 nodes that are all hosted from the developer and they hide your IP. They call it the "Blackhole" tech.

So centralization. You're proud of a centralized solution, really?

Not your keys, not your coins!
traumschiff (OP)
Legendary

180 BPM

View Profile
March 08, 2016, 11:35:03 AM

connects to I2P from 4 nodes that are all hosted from the developer and they hide your IP. They call it the "Blackhole" tech.

It's not my sollution, I'm just laughing at it.

bathrobehero
Legendary

Activity: 2002
Merit: 1051

ICO? Not even once.

View Profile
March 08, 2016, 11:41:19 AM

That is indeed pretty laughable.

Not your keys, not your coins!
fluffypony
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1060

GetMonero.org / MyMonero.com

View Profile WWW
March 08, 2016, 11:52:41 AM

I think credit must be given where credit is due - it's good that they've built out Tor and I2P versions of Electrum.

I think it's pretty short-sighted that they haven't engaged with the Electrum dev community to add I2P support to Electrum server, which would allow Electrum volunteers who are already running servers on Tor and/or clearnet to add I2P support to their server if they so desire.

I also think that it's largely irrelevant whether the Electrum server knows your IP or not, you're already providing it with so much metadata that grouping your addresses becomes trivial. Who cares if you only ever use Electrum over I2P, but then you go buy a yoyo online and an attacker gets your physical address from that payment (and they can link every transaction you've ever done)?

Another concern that I have is with I2P's router being written in Java. It's not terrible, but the additional dependency (especially one with such a poor track record) is a little frightening. It's also the primary reason why we've been working with members of the I2P community to get C++-based I2P router projects going, which will allow much better and more direct integration. Hopefully Verge will switch to Kovri when we're at a stable and secure release point: https://github.com/monero-project/kovri

Rabid Parrots

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 08, 2016, 12:21:08 PM

I like how you quote a bunch of people talking about Verge and treat it like a personal affront from the dev.

I could go on Twitter and tell the Monero dev to inhale my dong. The fact that I own Verge doesn't mean that I am associated with the coin in any way.

_///// [XVG] ★★★★★WE ARE ON  THE VERGE ★★★★★ [SCRYPT] /////_
_//// TOR // I2P // LINUX . WINDOWS . MAC . ANDROID . ELECTRUM . WEBWALLET . GITHUB // WEBSITE // RADIO // IRC ////_
traumschiff (OP)
Legendary

180 BPM

View Profile
March 08, 2016, 12:23:16 PM

I like how you quote a bunch of people talking about Verge and treat it like a personal affront from the dev.

I could go on Twitter and tell the Monero dev to inhale my dong. The fact that I own Verge doesn't mean that I am associated with the coin in any way.

Take a look at his responses in the thread where he defends this exact stance.

Mb the fact that I got my comments deleted instantly on their thread and the fact that the developer threatened me in a private message helped with making this thread, but I'm not asshole enough to expose that. Or you need it?

traumschiff (OP)
Legendary

180 BPM

View Profile
March 08, 2016, 12:26:36 PM

I think credit must be given where credit is due - it's good that they've built out Tor and I2P versions of Electrum.

I think it's pretty short-sighted that they haven't engaged with the Electrum dev community to add I2P support to Electrum server, which would allow Electrum volunteers who are already running servers on Tor and/or clearnet to add I2P support to their server if they so desire.

I also think that it's largely irrelevant whether the Electrum server knows your IP or not, you're already providing it with so much metadata that grouping your addresses becomes trivial. Who cares if you only ever use Electrum over I2P, but then you go buy a yoyo online and an attacker gets your physical address from that payment (and they can link every transaction you've ever done)?

Another concern that I have is with I2P's router being written in Java. It's not terrible, but the additional dependency (especially one with such a poor track record) is a little frightening. It's also the primary reason why we've been working with members of the I2P community to get C++-based I2P router projects going, which will allow much better and more direct integration. Hopefully Verge will switch to Kovri when we're at a stable and secure release point: https://github.com/monero-project/kovri

Thanks for the detailed input, I agree that an I2P version of Electrum is a nice feature. I have no problems with their developments and didn't have any in the past. The attitude bothers me.

Saw your I2P router project previously, how is it progressing?

Yolo123

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 08, 2016, 12:32:38 PM

Take a look at his responses in the thread where he defends this exact stance.

Mb the fact that I got my comments deleted instantly on their thread and the fact that the developer threatened me in a private message helped with making this thread, but I'm not asshole enough to expose that. Or you need it?

Your way too emotional on this! Go take a walk or something...
CryptocurrencyNetwork

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

@CryptoOz

View Profile WWW
March 08, 2016, 12:45:36 PM

I think you are missing the point that every i2p wallet connected makes it decentralised.

traumschiff (OP)
Legendary

180 BPM

View Profile
March 08, 2016, 12:48:17 PM

I think you are missing the point that every i2p wallet connected makes it decentralised.

Try spending your coins on any service that needs any information on you. Your coins will get backtracked to every single adress you ever used because there is no blockchain obfuscation.

Saying it again, I never had a problem with XVG until some people started trolling and the developer decided to support it.

The I2P wallet is a nice privacy feature, but starting your marketing with naming and shaming coins that did way more in terms of coding..

CryptocurrencyNetwork

@CryptoOz

View Profile WWW
March 08, 2016, 01:03:23 PM

Try spending your coins on any service that needs any information on you. Your coins will get backtracked to every single adress you ever used because there is no blockchain obfuscation.

Saying it again, I never had a problem with XVG until some people started trolling and the developer decided to support it.

The I2P wallet is a nice privacy feature, but starting your marketing with naming and shaming coins that did way more in terms of coding..

I must admit some people get a little emotional at times, probably because for sometime DOGED was laughed at and ignored.

At the end of the day if you wanted to be anonymous, you would not be buying from places that wanted information, most likely peer to peer - if that was the case then no one would know what the payment was for anyway. The I2P wallet cannot be used via clearnet, the normal wallet can.

Its probably best to say we have different opinions on what is anonymous - is that a fair statement?

traumschiff (OP)
Legendary

180 BPM

View Profile
March 08, 2016, 01:09:22 PM

I must admit some people get a little emotional at times, probably because for sometime DOGED was laughed at and ignored.

At the end of the day if you wanted to be anonymous, you would not be buying from places that wanted information, most likely peer to peer - if that was the case then no one would know what the payment was for anyway. The I2P wallet cannot be used via clearnet, the normal wallet can.

Its probably best to say we have different opinions on what is anonymous - is that a fair statement?

One is a privacy feature the other is transaction anonymity. I already stated my problem in the upper comment, even the developer was avoiding a straight answers and not making distinction between the 2 thus protecting the trolls.

Oh and later tried to make his point with searching for my IP through the Vanillacoin network which he failed to do resulting in more deleted comments and a personal threat. You don't see me doing those Smiley

ttookk

Activity: 994
Merit: 513

View Profile
March 08, 2016, 01:13:08 PM

This thing is turning into a mud throwing contest that neither you nor VergeDev/dogedarkDev started. You should both know better than that.
CryptocurrencyNetwork

@CryptoOz

View Profile WWW
March 08, 2016, 01:16:15 PM

One is a privacy feature the other is transaction anonymity. I already stated my problem in the upper comment, even the developer was avoiding a straight answers and not making distinction between the 2 thus protecting the trolls.

Oh and later tried to make his point with searching for my IP through the Vanillacoin network which he failed to do resulting in more deleted comments and a personal threat. You don't see me doing those Smiley

I believe some of your tweets and others were offensive (and one guy was a little racist too posting a picture of a black anus hole), but I am not here to judge you.

Let all take the high road and remember we all have a common goal and that is to grow the crypto community and deliver options to those who may not benefit from the current monetary system.

iliasyaco

Activity: 457
Merit: 274

View Profile
March 08, 2016, 01:16:31 PM

haters gonna hate hate hate hate
Yolo123

Activity: 112

View Profile
March 08, 2016, 01:18:37 PM

I believe some of your tweets and others were offensive (and one guy was a little racist too posting a picture of a black anus hole), but I am not here to judge you.

Let all take the high road and remember we all have a common goal and that is to grow the crypto community and deliver options to those who may not benefit from the current monetary system.

That pic is a classic imo!
traumschiff (OP)
Legendary

180 BPM

View Profile
March 08, 2016, 01:22:23 PM

Offensive? Yeah it all started with me being offensive and not with trolls calling people dumb who tried to counter-argument their "Verge is the anon king" tweets. Please see the OP for the first tweet calling DASH, XMR and VNL exposed. This is like the worst BuzzFeed level clickbait I've ever seen.

Any half decent dev or community would tell them to get their shit together. I'm out anyway, said what I wanted to say.

CryptocurrencyNetwork

@CryptoOz

View Profile WWW
March 08, 2016, 01:25:21 PM

Offensive? Yeah it all started with me being offensive and not with trolls calling people dumb who tried to counter-argument their "Verge is the anon king" tweets. Please see the OP for the first tweet calling DASH, XMR and VNL exposed. This is like the worst BuzzFeed level clickbait I've ever seen.

Any half decent dev or community would tell them to get their shit together. I'm out anyway, said what I wanted to say.

A dictator would tell their community what to say and think.

meme magic

Activity: 115

View Profile
March 08, 2016, 01:26:53 PM

well i guess that does it.

monero/dash arent anon because theyre more expensive than some other cryptocoin.

where do i get in line to buy the next one?
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: