Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 11:05:49 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What "facts" you heard about Bitcoin is not true?  (Read 6934 times)
jacktheking (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1001

Personal Text Space Not For Sale

View Profile
March 09, 2016, 09:41:14 AM

When I started using Bitcoin, I thought Bitcoin transactions cannot be traced. I believe this was what I read from a few Bitcoin related site back in 2012/2013.

As I get to know more and more about Bitcoin, I found out that it is not true. Technically, it can be traced from the Blockchain. Ones need to use a Bitcoin mixer before he/she can be "anonymous".

What "facts" have you heard about Bitcoin that is not true - other than the price?

So sad! This profile does not appear as the #1 result (on anonymous) Google searches anymore.

Time to be active on the crypto forums again? Proud to be one of the few Legendary members of the Sparkie Red Dot!

Gonna put this on my resume if I ever join a cryptocurrency/blockchain industry!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
pbleak
Legendary

Activity: 924

View Profile
March 09, 2016, 10:00:25 AM

I think Bitcoin's anonymity is one we all know all too well. I've heard some fun ones, but the best was at a conference than it was invented by the NSA  Grin
tobacco123

Activity: 552
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 09, 2016, 10:03:05 AM

I thought bitcoin transactions are free...
          but turn out they require a fee...

7788bitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1023

View Profile
March 09, 2016, 10:06:05 AM

For me, the "fact" that bitcoin transaction is instant is a partial "truth". In fact, the confirmation time is about 10 minutes and during the so-called stress tests it will become longer.
mocacinno
Legendary

Activity: 3360
Merit: 4917

https://merel.mobi => buy facemasks with BTC/LTC

View Profile WWW
March 09, 2016, 10:08:19 AM
Merited by Foxpup (2)

I had actually heared following things in advance before starting with bitcoin:
- bitcoin transactions are instant (depending on the fee, they can take a couple minutes, hours or even days)
- bitcoin transactions are free (but without a fee, there's little chance of getting a confirmation)
- bitcoin is anonymous (but instead it is pseudo-anonymous)
- bitcoin is used for illegal activities (i'm sure it does, but so does fiat, gold, diamonds,...)
- it's free money when you mine bitcoin (but instead, you'll need to know what  you're doing to even ROI nowadays)

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
Cuidler

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 09, 2016, 10:09:08 AM

Anonymity is really tough in Bitcoin once you basically give all the informations to exchange where you buy Bitcoins. The option is use localbitcoin cash and given you pay premium this way, it is not worth it in my opinion.

Other than anonymity is free transactions myth. It is hard to send Bitcoins for free, and it seems to be impossible in near future.

.Liqui Exchange.Trade and earn 24% / year on BTC, LTC, ETH
....Brand NEW..........................................Payouts every 24h. Learn more at official thread
pbleak
Legendary

View Profile
March 09, 2016, 10:10:04 AM

For me, the "fact" that bitcoin transaction is instant is a partial "truth". In fact, the confirmation time is about 10 minutes and during the so-called stress tests it will become longer.

This is both true and not true, in a sense. For small transactions, say in a cafe, you would be paying instantly (and it will be accepted as such). But, of course, we all know it's not technically confirmed until the 10 minute period that the block is added. Anything with a fee will also be completely overlooked for a while.
mocacinno
Legendary

Activity: 3360
Merit: 4917

https://merel.mobi => buy facemasks with BTC/LTC

View Profile WWW
March 09, 2016, 10:10:54 AM

Anonymity is really tough in Bitcoin once you basically give all the informations to exchange where you buy Bitcoins. The option is use localbitcoin cash and given you pay premium this way, it is not worth it in my opinion.

Other than anonymity is free transactions myth. It is hard to send Bitcoins for free, and it seems to be impossible in near future.

I think you need your own node to broadcast your free transaction even now, because most public nodes don't accept no-fee transactions anymore (at least, this is what i've heared/picked up on the forum, i always add a fee, so i haven't tried this out yet)

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
Shibashi Dogemoto

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 09, 2016, 10:13:37 AM

This is both true and not true, in a sense. For small transactions, say in a cafe, you would be paying instantly (and it will be accepted as such). But, of course, we all know it's not technically confirmed until the 10 minute period that the block is added. Anything with a fee will also be completely overlooked for a while.

Care to explain the last part "Anything with a fee will also be completely overlooked for a while."?
Do you mean, everything without a fee will be overlooked for a while?

In reality, transactions with big fees will probably be included in the next block, transactions with small fees will probably eventually be added, and transactions without a fee are probably not even accepted by the nodes (let alone, added to a block)
Bestwishes745

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 09, 2016, 10:23:41 AM

a number of people were and are of the view that one day bitcoin value will reach to zero, but they don't know that for any currency it is not true. any currency can reach to 0.000000000000000001 but it is not possible that a currency exit and its value will be nothing.
quentincole32

Activity: 518

View Profile
March 09, 2016, 10:33:34 AM

I heard few years ago in early 2015 or 2014 maybe that bitcoin / satoshi nakamoto is a CIA conspiracy.
Now I still didn't know what was the real purpose of bitcoin invention?
Still looking for the real fact, but i put a little faith that bitcoin is pure remarkable discovery for economy world.

▃▃▌▌AMBROSUS▐▐▃▃▃ - TRUSTED QUALITY OF FOOD & MEDICINE
ICO date 13 September
unamis76
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1005

View Profile
March 09, 2016, 10:38:37 AM

I've been lucky enough not to be too misinformed about Bitcoin so far... But the biggest lie I've heard was that Bitcoin was basically a profit machine.
pbleak
Legendary

View Profile
March 09, 2016, 10:41:28 AM

Care to explain the last part "Anything with a fee will also be completely overlooked for a while."?

In reality, transactions with big fees will probably be included in the next block, transactions with small fees will probably eventually be added, and transactions without a fee are probably not even accepted by the nodes (let alone, added to a block)

Without a fee indeed. Sorry, good catch.
pbleak
Legendary

View Profile
March 09, 2016, 11:00:52 AM

Without a fee indeed. Sorry, good catch.

There won't be any problem if you put recommended fee and make transaction with someone/company who accept zero confirmation.
Don't be lazy to put zero fees or small fees, unless you make micro-transaction (under $1)

Indeed, in fact I tend to pay slightly higher fees than most people just because I like to reward miners a tiny bit more.
lrdeoliveira

Activity: 532
Merit: 253

View Profile
March 09, 2016, 11:04:34 AM

What "facts" have you heard about Bitcoin that is not true - other than the price?

-Bitcoin is anonymous.

-Bitcoin is used only by criminal and nerds.
-Bitcoin is dead.

-Bitcoin is a Ponzi scheme.

Theese are the most common  not-true facts that i heard in the past years
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
March 09, 2016, 11:22:37 AM
Last edit: March 09, 2016, 12:44:32 PM by Amph

that bigger blocks cause issues, when in reality smaller block are worse
kacak41

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 09, 2016, 11:24:04 AM

The fact I heard was the press and media were saying that bitcoin is dead and it will never rise again, but today we can see the bitcoin have survived and its price is also rising at a moment.
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3008

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
March 09, 2016, 11:40:07 AM

That it can scale. If I remember rightly the wiki breezily runs through the possibilities. When you switch to reading forums you have to wonder whether you're reading about the same coin.
valta4065

Activity: 826

Join @Bountycloud for the best bounties!

View Profile
March 09, 2016, 11:42:44 AM

When I started using Bitcoin, I thought Bitcoin transactions cannot be traced. I believe this was what I read from a few Bitcoin related site back in 2012/2013.

As I get to know more and more about Bitcoin, I found out that it is not true. Technically, it can be traced from the Blockchain. Ones need to use a Bitcoin mixer before he/she can be "anonymous".

Yeah, transactions in themselves can be traced.

The anonymity of bitcoin isn't in the impossibility of tracking transactions, but in the difficulty of linking those transactions and the identity of one's user.

█▄       ▄                                            ████     ▐███▌                                               
    ▐████▄ ▄██                                           █████     ████▌                                               
    ▐█████████▌                                          █████     ████                                                
▄▄▄▄▄███████  ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄                                   █████    █████                                 █████          
  ▀█████▀▀  ▄██████████▄                   ████     ▄██████████████████████                             █████          
    ▀▀  ▄▄██████████████                  █████     ██████████████████████                             ▄█████          
    ▄██████▀██▀█████████     ▄██████   ▄██████████      ████     █████          ▄████████    ▄██████▄  █████  █████    
    █████▀▀ ▀▀ ▀██████    ▄███████████ ███████████     ▐████     █████       ▄███████████  ██████████  ██████████████  
    ███████ █ ██████    ▄█████▀ ▐█████  ▐█████         █████     █████      ▄██████▀ ████ █████▀  ▀██  ██████████████  
    █████▄  ▄ ▄▄██████▌ ██████████████  ██████    ██████████████████████▄ ▄█████    █████ ████████     █████    █████  
   ▐██████ ██ █████████ ████████████    █████▌    ▀██████████████████████ █████    ██████  ██████████ ▄████▀   ▄█████  
   ████████████████████ ██████          █████          ████     █████     █████▄  ███████      ██████ █████    ██████  
   ██████████████████   █████████████  ████████      ▄████    ▐████▌     ██████████████  ███████████ █████    █████   
   ████████████████▀      ██████████     ███████▀     ████▀     ████▌     ████████▌ ███  ▀████████   █████    █████   

|
    Bet on Future Blocks & Earn a Passive Income   
             Supports Bitcoin, Ethereum, EOS and more!             
   🎰 Play Lottery
🎲 Play Dice
🍀Get Referral Bonus
    ▄████████▄
  █████▀█▀██████
 ████▄  ▄  ▀█████
██████▌ ▀▀▀ ▄████▌
██████▌ ███  ████▌
 ████      ▄▄████
  █████▄█▄█████▀
    ▀▀██████▀▀
    ▄▄███████▄
  ▄█████████████
 █████████▀ ▀▀███▄
▐███▌   ▀    ▐████
▐████        █████
 █████▀    ▄█████▀
  ▀█████████████
    ▀▀███████▀
   ▄▄███████▄▄
 ▄█████████████▄
▄████████▀▀   ███
████▀▀  ▄█▀  ████
██▄▄ ▄█▀     ████
▀█████      █████
 ▀████▄███▄ ███▀
    ▀███████▀
RealPhotoshoper
Legendary

Activity: 1050

View Profile
March 09, 2016, 12:12:57 PM

so many fact that i heard was not true about bitcoin,"bitcoin death" gavin andersen said like that,so many people start panic,and me too Grin but its was not true and now everything was okay. and then "bitcoin used for terrorist funds" its also not true,tha fact is terrorist have own currency,and some people aid they use western union,i dont know.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: