Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 01:15:01 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin ATM  (Read 3144 times)
iCrypt (OP)

Activity: 83
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 09, 2016, 09:02:35 PM

Does anyone use Bitcoin ATMs? Where are you located? I live in California; there were about 10 ATMs in the area, but over the past couple years were removed.. Now there are only 2 that I know of.

Do you guys find Bitcoin ATM's useful or have a need for them?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
NorrisK
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1007

View Profile
March 09, 2016, 09:12:05 PM

I don't see why you would need bitcoin ATMs. You are making something digital physical again, which is totally stupid imo.

There are so many ways to load your mobile wallet with bitcoins outside of ATMs, that they don't really have a place imo. It is also much faster and more convenient to do it online, as you don't have to scour your area for an atm to load up. Just buy and have them transfered from behind your pc.

They may be useful if there are not convenient online options available to you, but at least in The Netherlands nothing beats using iDeal to pay and instantly get your coins sent to you.
iCrypt (OP)

Activity: 83

View Profile
March 09, 2016, 09:19:15 PM

I don't exactly have a need for them, but I like them. I see why they would be useful for those who maybe do not have computer access, or need to buy BTC with cash.
calkob

Activity: 1092
Merit: 520

View Profile
March 09, 2016, 09:25:45 PM

I have used one in belfast N Ireland but it was only out of curiosity, as i find them way more expensive.  they are really easy to use and great for new adoptors  Grin
pbleak
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 09, 2016, 09:35:42 PM

Dublin had two, but we are down to one now. Unsure why one was removed. I think they are handy enough if you have one in a decent location.
croato

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

1BkEzspSxp2zzHiZTtUZJ6TjEb1hERFdRr

View Profile
March 09, 2016, 10:11:31 PM

We have one Bitcoin ATM machine at one coffe shop in Zagreb and soon Split should get one also. It can be handy but fee (9%) is way too much for selling or buying coins on it in my opinion. I was using it only few times in emergency but still, it is great to have it in my city.
aardvark15

Activity: 994
Merit: 510

View Profile
March 09, 2016, 10:29:26 PM

I don't know where any are, but I can see some benefits to having them.  The biggest benefit I see it exposure.  It is like advertisement for Bitcoin.  The other thing is it gives another way to obtain bitcoins for those who wouldn't take the time to learn about it on their own.  If someone happens to be in the area of a Bitcoin ATM, they may spend a couple of dollars to get some Bitcoins just to try it out.
Raimonn
Legendary

Activity: 1456

View Profile
March 09, 2016, 10:57:41 PM

An ATM is very expensive machine, that few people would use. And the company that runs it would apply high fees to recover its inversion. I think that bitcoin atms makes more for bitcoin as publicity than a public service that people would use it.
European Central Bank
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1087

View Profile
March 09, 2016, 11:46:39 PM

The ATM scene seems to be kinda quiet these days. By the sounds of things there were alot of crappy machines and some were way too expensive. If I ever come across one I'm willing to give it a try.
Zeke2345

Activity: 98

★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile
March 09, 2016, 11:48:22 PM

We have bitcoin ATMs all over, locations are funny sometimes. Ones located in a hemp store, one in a vietnamese restaurant and one in a heavy subway stop. Last one is funny because most people have no idea what it is.
My issue is fees differ based in vendor/owner and some are setup for purchase only. But one place will meet up p2p if you need over $3k, thats a nice perk.

Back to fees, they actually have dropped a lot as more competition came out. Now its more about getting around KYC.

██████████    YoBit.net - Cryptocurrency Exchange - Over 350 coins
█████████    <<  ● $$$ - $$$ - $$$ - $$$ - $$$ - $$$ - $$$   >>
██████████    <<  ● Play DICE! Win 1-5 btc just for 5 mins!  >>
romero121
Legendary

Activity: 3164
Merit: 1213

View Profile
March 10, 2016, 02:32:56 AM

An ATM is very expensive machine, that few people would use. And the company that runs it would apply high fees to recover its inversion. I think that bitcoin atms makes more for bitcoin as publicity than a public service that people would use it.

Well said. More people know about the new revolutionary money if mare ATMs were installed than using the ATM Service. I think it would be easy to set a alternative method of ATM as everything can be done through digital networking.
Zeke2345

View Profile
March 10, 2016, 02:48:12 AM

Bitcoin debit cards are a interesting aspect for alternatives. Would like to see bitcoin cards in the gas stations, where the giftcards habg out. I know someone was working on that even if it is a dated way of doing it.
The atm will stick around due to banks being a bit gray on bitcoin and sometimes waffling towards closing bank accounts.
Something I learned from online sports betting and poker, is the less people know about you the better.
Sent so many western union transfers they would stall every 8th transfer for me to call so they could probe. Then it got more frequent, started looking at the countries I would be sending to an pulled the plug. Did not want to be on a terrorist list, they even contacted me recently about a transfer that was not picked up. Wrote that off as well.

gilangIDR
Legendary

Activity: 1526

View Profile
March 10, 2016, 03:26:43 AM

Jakarta and Bali have 2 ATM bitcoin. I am thankful to live here. bitcoin ATMs continue to be developed. do not worry about all the places will get bitcoin ATM. just a matter of time.
romero121
Legendary

Activity: 3164
Merit: 1213

View Profile
March 10, 2016, 03:52:43 AM

Jakarta and Bali have 2 ATM bitcoin. I am thankful to live here. bitcoin ATMs continue to be developed. do not worry about all the places will get bitcoin ATM. just a matter of time.

That's a good news. How about the charges levied per transaction. Is it same as bitcoin exchanges or has something less than exchange charges.
Zeke2345

View Profile
March 10, 2016, 03:53:19 AM

Love Bali..You live in a very beautiful part of the world.
Want to go back to go diving and get alittle more off the path.
=========================<=<<

The KYC rules seem to stifle bitcoin atms in different areas. Remember the Robocoin ones with the palm reading, glad they turned that off here.

adibe

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 10, 2016, 04:25:34 AM

Does anyone use Bitcoin ATMs? Where are you located? I live in California; there were about 10 ATMs in the area, but over the past couple years were removed.. Now there are only 2 that I know of.

I'm not sure my country have Bitcoin ATMs. But i ever heard that bitcoin ATMs available in Bali and Jakarta. I never use bitcoin ATMs though, because in my town no bitcoin atms here.
hasiramasenju
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 10, 2016, 04:32:14 AM

i was know that there are some bitcoin ATM in my country but i had never use that because distance to ATM destination is too far from my town also i considers that not very effective to use bitcoin ATM because for me just convert my bitcoin into local currency this more simple than use bitcoin ATM
SFR10
Legendary

Activity: 2996
Merit: 3428

Crypto Swap Exchange

View Profile WWW
March 10, 2016, 05:14:18 AM

In regards to your second question, No, I personally don't find the useful (to me), since there are numerous ways to buy BTCitcoin already and that could explain why only few are left as you mentioned the other ones were removed. Also some of ATM's were reported having long process before users could get their BTCitcoins sent to their addresses so that could also explain why it's not that popular after all.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
OROBTC
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1852

View Profile
March 10, 2016, 05:29:52 AM

We have one Bitcoin ATM machine at one coffe shop in Zagreb and soon Split should get one also. It can be handy but fee (9%) is way too much for selling or buying coins on it in my opinion. I was using it only few times in emergency but still, it is great to have it in my city.

9% over "spot" is what the two Bitcoin ATMs in my city (metro area population of some 2,000,000), so that is rather high, but convenience helps balance out the cost (localbitcoin.com does not work well here, and BTMs take cash).

I would guess that another comment above (BTMs expensive) may explain why the 9% premium is so high.  Alas, the machine requires ID and 2FA (SMS message) to use.
Bitinity
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1312

View Profile
March 10, 2016, 06:08:28 AM

Not yet, there is only one Bitcoin ATM in my country but it is located far away from my area. I have seen the youtube video where someone tells the viewers how to buy bitcoin with cash on the bitcoin ATM machine. I hope there will be more bitcoin ATMs in my country so I can try it by myself.

.DuelbitsSPORTS.
▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
▄▄█████████████████▄▄
▄██████████████████████▄
██████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
▀████████████████████████