Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 03:23:54 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Simple explanation of how to buy bitcoins and then spend them on silkroad  (Read 5440 times)
tryingtousebitcoins (OP)

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 27, 2013, 05:56:52 PM

I'm a relatively smart guy, but this is a struggle.

I did some research, and sent a check to mtgox.  It cleared a week ago but there's nothing showing up in my account there.  Then I found out it's purely trading, not like a checking account, where I can direct them to pay a vendor.

How do I buy bitcoins and put them in a "checking account" or my "wallet" and then use that to pay a vendor?

I like the idea of taking $$ to Chase Bank but I still haven't cracked the code on how to easily get bitcoins and then spend them.

There seems to be a charge every time there is a transaction, but I'm not that worried about that.

I've read a lot of guides, and I'm not coming here without trying.

Thanks,

noobie

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
tryingtousebitcoins (OP)

View Profile
January 27, 2013, 06:15:15 PM

Wow; I just posted this and it has 49 views and no responses.

I have a Master's Degree in Computer Science (albiet a little dated) but it just shouldn't be so hard.

One of the keys to computer stuff is it should be easily intuitive.

Even play a video game that needs no instructions?  You just know how it works.

Bitcoins are not the same.

First you have to master the tor issue (easy).

Then you have to take your money and get it in a form you can spend on silk road.  (Not easy).

If anyone supplies a service that cracks that nut there is money to be made.

It might be me if someone would explain it to me.

Thanks for the views, but responses are better!

Wink

jwzguy

Activity: 868
Merit: 1002

View Profile
January 27, 2013, 06:16:56 PM

There's several options for cash->btc. If you're sending to silkroad, I would keep that to yourself, since there are some overzealous kneelers around who think that using a free marketplace is automatically proof that you're breaking the law, and in any case, deserve no assistance in case of a complication.

That means, wherever you purchase from, you should first send to your own wallet before sending to SR. I suggest using blockchain.info to create a wallet.

As far as buying with cash, you can use Bitinstant, which accepts cash desposits at CVS, or BitMe.com which is currently a relatively small (low volume) exchange, and accepts cash deposits at Chase....until Chase figures out what they are doing, anyway.

Keep an eye on Bitfloor.com and Bitcoins Direct. Both used to accept cash deposits but do not at the moment. They may do so again in the future.

Finally, you can look for someone to buy with cash in person, locally, using localbitcoins.com. This is useful but usually more time consuming than an automated process.

Good luck.
MartynKeigher

Activity: 8

View Profile WWW
January 27, 2013, 06:41:18 PM

Thanks for the views, but responses are better!

Wink

I got lots of vies for syaing "Hello"! Must be a running theme in here!

Its like "I'll look, but i won't touch!" haha
tryingtousebitcoins (OP)

View Profile
January 27, 2013, 06:49:42 PM

I guess that's the problem with lumping all of us new guys together!  We all want to know the answers but can't supply them!
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
January 27, 2013, 07:45:56 PM

I'm a relatively smart guy, but this is a struggle.

I did some research, and sent a check to mtgox.  It cleared a week ago but there's nothing showing up in my account there.  Then I found out it's purely trading, not like a checking account, where I can direct them to pay a vendor.

How do I buy bitcoins and put them in a "checking account" or my "wallet" and then use that to pay a vendor?

I like the idea of taking $$ to Chase Bank but I still haven't cracked the code on how to easily get bitcoins and then spend them.

There seems to be a charge every time there is a transaction, but I'm not that worried about that.

I've read a lot of guides, and I'm not coming here without trying.

Thanks,

noobie

I might not understand your problem, but you should be able to send bitcoins from your MtGox account to literally any bitcoin address. Maybe you just need to use the cash you sent to buy bitcoins first?

If you don't even want to deal with making a market order in the future check out coinbase.com.

If you don't want to leave your coins with MtGox or any other company look into the Electrum client.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1225

Away on an extended break

View Profile
January 28, 2013, 02:40:17 AM

Use some easier service like bitinstant where they credit your bitcoin address directly on your payment.
greyhawk

Activity: 938
Merit: 1009

View Profile
January 28, 2013, 02:54:06 AM

It's called "search engine indexers"

Congrats on the Master's degree in computer sciences.
Duckphobia

Activity: 10

View Profile
January 28, 2013, 07:11:43 AM

Wow! I read up on the silk road trading marketplace, and I did not know that bitcoins could be used in such ways! Although I will not be using the service for myself, the knowledge that this exists has certainly made me more respectful of its value as a currency for citizens. What has my friend gotten me into? I'll know soon enough! Haha!
cedivad
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 28, 2013, 07:53:00 AM

You have a master in CS and are unable to buy bitcoin?
How exactly did you burned your brain in the meantime?

My anger against what is wrong in the Bitcoin community is productive:
Bitcointa.lk - Replace "Bitcointalk.org" with "Bitcointa.lk" in this url to see how this page looks like on a proper forum (Announcement Thread)
Hashfast.org - Wiki for screwed customers
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: