Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 12:57:17 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Completely new to all this and need a little help  (Read 981 times)
hooliganism (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 27, 2013, 09:00:40 PM

So as he title states I'm completely new to mining. I've read a few FAQs and walk throughs about how to get started and what is the best pool to join and all that. I've registered at deepbit and I'm trying to use GUIminer as i can't really figure out how to use the CMD line miners. So here is my problem:

On my laptop (HD5870) this is what happens - I click start mining and it says "Shares 0 accepted 1 Stale/invalid" then after a couple seconds it says "Value error too many values to unpack" and just stays like that. I downloaded and installed OpenCL 2.8 64bit (apparently 2.1 works best for my card? i just couldnt find it) before i started as well. I've been on Google for the past 2 hours almost and really cant find a solution for this.

My desktop (GTX 560 Ti SLi - and i know nVidia isn't preferred for mining im just trying to get it working) is even worse - I hit start mining and it does absolutely nothing.

On my desktop and laptop I've tried making new miners and everything and doing what i can understand but i still have no luck. Does anyone have any ideas?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Remember that Bitcoin is still beta software. Don't put all of your money into BTC!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jwzguy

Activity: 868
Merit: 1002

View Profile
January 27, 2013, 09:16:31 PM

There is a decent learning curve to mining, and I mean this in the nicest way possible, you're better off not bothering investing that time at this point.

casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
January 27, 2013, 09:18:33 PM

There is a decent learning curve to mining, and I mean this in the nicest way possible, you're better off not bothering investing that time at this point.

+1

Once you spend the time, you'll discover you'll spend 10 cents in electricity for every 1 cent worth of bitcoins you mine.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
January 27, 2013, 09:26:11 PM

Unfortunately you came in a little late for casual mining but i really hope this will not lead to the end of your interest in bitcoin. Post an address here for donations and ill send you a few cents worth of btc to get started with.

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
Andynerd

Activity: 14

View Profile
January 27, 2013, 09:31:14 PM

Unfortunately you came in a little late for casual mining but i really hope this will not lead to the end of your interest in bitcoin. Post an address here for donations and ill send you a few cents worth of btc to get started with.

+1 People like you make this community awesome!
ThickAsThieves

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 27, 2013, 09:44:43 PM

Should someone interested in mining learn to use the current mining software ins and outs if they want to get into mining with BFL's upcoming ASIC products? Or will those products be easy to use?
hooliganism (OP)

View Profile
January 27, 2013, 09:49:51 PM

Well first of all thanks for all the replies and info, and yes the more I continue to read the more i realize that there is way more to this than i originally thought.

Wow thats pretty cool and very generous of you, it looks like I have stumbled across a great community (sadly thats getting rarer on the internet these days). My address is 15xMw3iZbvCzAPGzg76Nf7RnF5FFjucT9b but I'm just curious as to what I would do with it if you donate? like is there a way for me to make it grow? I'm just really keen on this concept as I'm a student living on campus and everyone knows that age old SOB story lol. So ultimately I'm looking for ways to scrape up what ever I can whenever I can.
Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
January 27, 2013, 10:08:15 PM

Well first of all thanks for all the replies and info, and yes the more I continue to read the more i realize that there is way more to this than i originally thought.

Wow thats pretty cool and very generous of you, it looks like I have stumbled across a great community (sadly thats getting rarer on the internet these days). My address is 15xMw3iZbvCzAPGzg76Nf7RnF5FFjucT9b but I'm just curious as to what I would do with it if you donate? like is there a way for me to make it grow? I'm just really keen on this concept as I'm a student living on campus and everyone knows that age old SOB story lol. So ultimately I'm looking for ways to scrape up what ever I can whenever I can.

When i first started with bitcoins the bitcoin faucet gave me like $0.10 worth of btc but when i checked up on that $0.10 like a year later it was worth like $8.00 so dont underestimate the power of bitcoins. Alternatively you could gamble with it at http://satoshidice.com/ and see if you have enough luck to turn it into enough money to actually buy something with.

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
EngMan

Activity: 67
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 27, 2013, 10:18:40 PM

You could also look at litecoin mining. My GPUs are mostly doing that now while my FPGAs are on BTC. If you need a little help with that, pm me with your OS info (Win 7?) And i could get you started.

I may take  couple of days to respond due to outside issues but don't mind helping some. Sometimes it can be more profitable to mine LTC and then exchange for BTC.

Sorry, I'm all sold out of x6500's.
rpgman1

Activity: 35

View Profile WWW
January 27, 2013, 10:28:22 PM

So there are alternative forms of mining currency besides bitcoins? I heard of namecoin, but not litecoin.
nobbynobbynoob

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

Annuit cœptis humanae libertas

View Profile WWW
January 27, 2013, 10:57:29 PM

Welcome, hooliganism. 5 BTM gratuity from me.

The other posters are right, mining is serious business now, with CPU and non-AMD-GPU mining not being worth the trouble, or barely worth it.

Earn Free Bitcoins!   Earn bitcoin via BitcoinGet
BTC tip: 1PKkvuwC24Vqjv9odigXs1QVzE66jEJqmb (if <200 µBTC, please donate to charity)
LTC tip: LRqXaNdF79QHvhPpS5AZdEJZnLiNnAkJvq (if <Ł0,05, please donate to charity)
hooliganism (OP)

View Profile
January 28, 2013, 02:18:00 PM

To Anon and Nobby thank you guys for you generosity, very much appreciated. And to EngMan I'll definitely be messaging you for more info. Thanks for all the help guys
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: