Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 02:31:59 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: I am For Core increasing block size limit in 2017 as planned
Yes - 14 (16.3%)
Yes, but i wish they would do it sooner - 60 (69.8%)
No - 12 (14%)
Total Voters: 86

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 2MB Pros and Cons  (Read 9666 times)
exstasie
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1521

View Profile
March 25, 2016, 05:04:47 AM

That's cute. Unfortunately if you do so in a contentious manner (i.e. with 75% miner agreement and no consideration for nodes/users) you will split the network.

Is there something in your reply that you believe is a stunning revelation?

Apparently you don't know how hard forks work. Miner agreement says fuck all about what users are doing. Cool

Only the fork that is not compatible with the original network can be considered an altcoin, by definition.

Oh - there it is. Though it is merely a stunning misunderstanding of the way Nakamoto Consensus works. The blockchain that emerges with the majority of the hashing power (e.g. economic majority) ends up being The One True Bitcoin.

Hahaha. Another clown that thinks *hashpower* defines the consensus rules. Explain to us all how that works. Does ___ PH hash = 21 million coin limit? Grin

How's it going to work if 75% of miners fork to another network, and the majority of nodes do not follow? Miners don't make the rules. Nodes do. Cool

FWIW, The SegWit Omnibus Changeset, as proposed, is also not compatible with the original network. We need some way forward. I have cast my lot with bigger blocks for the time being.

Is there a reason you always refer to it as "SegWit Omnibus Changeset?" Does that make you feel important, or just being obnoxious?

How sure are you that you'll end up on the winning side of this trade? I'm working towards my side being the victor. You doing anything other than waiting for Blockstream to pull through for you?

It's not about winning or losing. It's about forking attackers off my network. Why would I need Blockstream to do anything?

How so? Blockstream doesn't control anything. They aren't pushing a contentious hard fork on the community.

You're right - they're pushing a contentious soft fork on the community. Yawn.

That's not a very good comparison. A soft fork won't split the network. Backward compatibility really puts a damper on your non-arguments, doesn't it? Anyone who doesn't want to update need not. Cool

Yikes! I have no idea what 'adam's datacentercoin' is. I assume by 'CoinbaseCoin', you mean Classic? Or do you mean Unlimited? XT? Or maybe you mean the source tree that Coinbase's engineers forked? You're gonna have to specify.

I guess you should specify what you meant by BlockstreamCoin. Because there is only one global ledger: bitcoin. Classic (heavily backed by Coinbase), XT and Unlimited seek to split that ledger into multiple ledgers. Again, this is the definition of an altcoin.

I've made my choice for the moment, thank you. Interestingly, any of the above are compatible with any of the others.

LOL, and we can release a billion more versions that no one uses, too. That means your altcoins are "bitcoin"...why?

So when another incorporates features I value higher, I can simply switch. Oh yeah - you can throw Satoshi 0.12 in that pile too. At least for now. Next Core rev... err ... not so much.

LOL, this guy is willing to break consensus every time someone codes in a feature he likes. Like I always say, it's great that there are these new implementations now -- you forkers are cannibalizing each other.

Can you name more than five people that you consider to be 'the bitco.in crew'? How many of them are pumping DASH here?

I dunno, five people would be nearly counting their whole userbase. But theres VS, frapdoc, adam... the others, not sure. I certainly don't make any effort to follow these people; they are like insects to be squashed.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jbreher
Legendary

Activity: 3038
Merit: 1660

lose: unfind ... loose: untight

View Profile
March 25, 2016, 05:38:50 AM

Hahaha. Another clown that thinks *hashpower* defines the consensus rules. Explain to us all how that works. Does ___ PH hash = 21 million coin limit? Grin

No. But nice try at reductio al stupido. Hashpower is a pretty good measure of economic resources. In this world where chicken littles are cluck-clucking about how expensive a 2MB node is to run, a mid-size miner can spin up any number of nodes. To such a miner, the cost of operating nodes is less than chickenfeed. For a mere two chicks. The non-mining nodes have cluck-all to do with consensus. But they do make the impotent feel good about their 'power'.

How's it going to work if 75% of miners fork to another network, and the majority of nodes do not follow? Miners don't make the rules. Nodes do.

Even if miners were somehow magically prevented from operating nodes, if the miners build a chain with whatever rules they care to, and the transactionators keep transactionating upon that blockchain, that chain defines Bitcoin. The nodes have fuck-all to say about it. What are they gonna do, just drop all the incoming transactions on the floor? Miners unaffected - they'll just reach down and pick up the dropped transactions, and mine 'em in the next block. Or the next...

Now you can argue that the node instances are a reflection of the transactionators' will. But that is a different conversation altogether. Is that your claim? If so, well then let's discuss this real issue rather than imbuing 'nodes' with some magical power that they do not in reality possess.

Though to answer your question directly, the miners are interested in what 75% of those making transactions will choose. As those making transactions are the power that keep miners in check. They have no need to worry about amassing 75% of nodes. Nodes are powerless.

FWIW, The SegWit Omnibus Changeset, as proposed, is also not compatible with the original network. We need some way forward. I have cast my lot with bigger blocks for the time being.

Is there a reason you always refer to it as "SegWit Omnibus Changeset?"

Yes. The reason is that there are many changes other than SegWit in The SegWit Omnibus Changeset.

How so? Blockstream doesn't control anything. They aren't pushing a contentious hard fork on the community.

You're right - they're pushing a contentious soft fork on the community. Yawn.

That's not a very good comparison. A soft fork won't split the network. Backward compatibility really puts a damper on your non-arguments, doesn't it? Anyone who doesn't want to update need not.

In my book, any change that changes the protocol so significantly that formerly fully validating nodes become nodes incapable of validating all transactions is something other than 'backwards compatible'. But you can live in that fantasy land if you want to.

Yikes! I have no idea what 'adam's datacentercoin' is. I assume by 'CoinbaseCoin', you mean Classic? Or do you mean Unlimited? XT? Or maybe you mean the source tree that Coinbase's engineers forked? You're gonna have to specify.

I guess you should specify what you meant by BlockstreamCoin. Because there is only one global ledger: bitcoin. Classic (heavily backed by Coinbase), XT and Unlimited seek to split that ledger into multiple ledgers. Again, this is the definition of an altcoin.

First, I'll grant you one fair point. I used the term 'BlockstreamCoin' merely in snark, based upon the similar derision cast upon the other forks. However, you knew exactly what implementation I was speaking of, didn't you? Your other terms? Not so much.

But more germane, neither Classic (which, by the way, is NOT the fork published by Coinbase), XT, nor Unlimited seek to split the chain. If they did, their activation threshold would be somewhat south of 75%.

I've made my choice for the moment, thank you. Interestingly, any of the above are compatible with any of the others.

LOL, and we can release a billion more versions that no one uses, too. That means your altcoins are "bitcoin"...why?

Nope - you're still not getting it. We do not seek a version that no one uses. We seek multiple interoperating versions, all adherent to the same protocol based upon emergent consensus. We seek a coin guided by Nakamoto Consensus, rather than one restricted by the few. We seek these principles to be eventually adopted by the overwhelming majority of Bitcoiners. And at the moment, our trajectory is positive. Cheers!

So when another incorporates features I value higher, I can simply switch. Oh yeah - you can throw Satoshi 0.12 in that pile too. At least for now. Next Core rev... err ... not so much.

LOL, this guy is willing to break consensus every time someone codes in a feature he likes. Like I always say, it's great that there are these new implementations now -- you forkers are cannibalizing each other.

Using a different implementation is not 'breaking consensus'. As long as a shared protocol (i.e. a protocol that has achieved consensus) is employed, it matters not what implementation each user chooses.

Can you name more than five people that you consider to be 'the bitco.in crew'? How many of them are pumping DASH here?

I dunno, five people would be nearly counting their whole userbase. But theres VS, frapdoc, adam... the others, not sure. I certainly don't make any effort to follow these people; they are like insects to be squashed.

But you make claims about them that you cannot verify. The integrity of your statements is duly noted.

Anyone with a campaign ad in their signature -- for an organization with which they are not otherwise affiliated -- is automatically deducted credibility points.

I've been convicted of heresy. Convicted by a mere known extortionist. Read my Trust for details.
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
March 25, 2016, 07:42:46 AM

But more germane, neither Classic (which, by the way, is NOT the fork published by Coinbase), XT, nor Unlimited seek to split the chain. If they did, their activation threshold would be somewhat south of 75%.
If they didn't seek to split the chain, their activation threshold would be north of 90%. You can make such claims all day long. If their intentions were truly pure and for the sake of Bitcoin, they would never risk the negative effects of a network split (e.g. 3/4 and 1/4).

Nope - you're still not getting it. We do not seek a version that no one uses. We seek multiple interoperating versions, all adherent to the same protocol based upon emergent consensus. We seek a coin guided by Nakamoto Consensus, rather than one restricted by the few. We seek these principles to be eventually adopted by the overwhelming majority of Bitcoiners. And at the moment, our trajectory is positive. Cheers!
Introducing competition in a consensus based algorithm; interesting proposal.  Roll Eyes

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
exstasie
Legendary

View Profile
March 25, 2016, 06:28:20 PM
Last edit: March 25, 2016, 06:39:54 PM by exstasie

No. But nice try at reductio al stupido. Hashpower is a pretty good measure of economic resources.

LOL. Pretty good? How about all the wealth stored on the network? Miners cannot alone dictate the rules; they merely order transactions. Miners are meaningless on a dead network.  

In this world where chicken littles are cluck-clucking about how expensive a 2MB node is to run, a mid-size miner can spin up any number of nodes.

How do you not understand that a miner (or Coinbase or Roger Ver) spinning up a bunch of nodes has absolutely nothing to do with the software users are running? How useful are miners communicating with themselves + a bunch of datacenter nodes with no economic activity behind them? Miners need people to sell their coins to..... so if you think they can ignore the network of users by spinning up nodes...... LOL.

To such a miner, the cost of operating nodes is less than chickenfeed. For a mere two chicks. The non-mining nodes have cluck-all to do with consensus. But they do make the impotent feel good about their 'power'.

That's only true if they are merely concerned with communicating amongst themselves, as opposed to the network of users, who may have forked them off.

How's it going to work if 75% of miners fork to another network, and the majority of nodes do not follow? Miners don't make the rules. Nodes do.

Even if miners were somehow magically prevented from operating nodes

Still pushing this disinformation that spinning up nodes forces the rest of the network to install some foreign software? Shame on you.

if the miners build a chain with whatever rules they care to, and the transactionators keep transactionating upon that blockchain

Why would you assume that? If miners violate the inflation controls that prevent > 21 million coins from being produced (these are consensus rules) why would anyone be transacting on their blockchain? No one would accept payment on that chain as legitimate.

that chain defines Bitcoin. The nodes have fuck-all to say about it. What are they gonna do, just drop all the incoming transactions on the floor?

What the hell are you talking about? "Drop all the incoming transactions on the floor?" Do you even bitcoin? No one accepts confirmed payments on that chain if they break the rules they enforce. That goes for any node on the network.

Miners unaffected - they'll just reach down and pick up the dropped transactions, and mine 'em in the next block. Or the next...

And no one will necessarily care about the blockchain those miners are mining on....

Now you can argue that the node instances are a reflection of the transactionators' will. But that is a different conversation altogether. Is that your claim? If so, well then let's discuss this real issue rather than imbuing 'nodes' with some magical power that they do not in reality possess.

Node software is the only aspect of the bitcoin system that enforces rules. Try all you want to ignore that fact, but it is not merely an indication of will. If 75% of miners are mining on another chain, and 75% of users exist on the original chain, 75% of users simply ignore the invalid chain. It's very simple.

Though to answer your question directly, the miners are interested in what 75% of those making transactions will choose.

How the hell does 75% miner agreement equate to "75% of those making transactions?" What connection do they have at all?

As those making transactions are the power that keep miners in check.

Indeed. And they will fork off miners who publish invalid blocks.  

They have no need to worry about amassing 75% of nodes. Nodes are powerless.

Then why did Gavin solicit pledges for people to spin up thousands of nodes? Why are services like classic-cloud spinning up nodes? The simple answer is to try to indicate that there is a network of users behind these nodes. (Of course, we know that is largely untrue simply based on the facts) Why is that necessary? Because miners are meaningless on a dead network with no users.

In my book, any change that changes the protocol so significantly that formerly fully validating nodes become nodes incapable of validating all transactions is something other than 'backwards compatible'. But you can live in that fantasy land if you want to.

Segwit nodes are fully compatible with nodes that haven't updated. So apparently you are the one living in a "fantasy land" where you have redefined the meaning of "backwards compatible."

Any statistics, risk and game theory analysis to support the contention that 75% is remotely safe to ensure not only that miners, but network nodes upgrade? "Somewhat south?" What the hell does that mean? Please supply more than "who would want to stay on a dead chain?" as this is not evidence that 75% miner agreement would result in a dead chain rather than 2+ surviving chains.

Nope - you're still not getting it. We do not seek a version that no one uses. We seek multiple interoperating versions, all adherent to the same protocol based upon emergent consensus.

Cool story. What you seek =/= what will happen. If you contend that 75% miner agreement will not break the consensus that defines what bitcoin is, then provide evidence rather than passing it off as truth.

We seek a coin guided by Nakamoto Consensus, rather than one restricted by the few.

Nakamoto Consensus says nodes can and will simply fork off such a "75% miner attack" on the network. Because hashpower has fuck all to do with the rules. Again, please respond to this, specifically, with regard to miner's ability to force users to install adversarial software:

Another clown that thinks *hashpower* defines the consensus rules. Explain to us all how that works. Does ___ PH hash = 21 million coin limit?

Miners don't have power to define the rules. Stop suggesting that they do. Node software is the only thing that enforces rules on the bitcoin network. Miners can spin up all the nodes they want -- that won't make the rest of the network install different software to accept their blocks.

We seek these principles to be eventually adopted by the overwhelming majority of Bitcoiners. And at the moment, our trajectory is positive. Cheers!

Good luck with that. I just see great opportunity for forkers to cannibalize each other. Smiley

Using a different implementation is not 'breaking consensus'. As long as a shared protocol (i.e. a protocol that has achieved consensus) is employed, it matters not what implementation each user chooses.

LOL. Really? Trying to push the disinformation that running software that will break consensus rules =/= breaking consensus? Cheesy

So now BTCD = Bitcoin Classic? How can that be, when BTCD will reject 2MB blocks as invalid, and Classic will accept them?

But you make claims about them that you cannot verify. The integrity of your statements is duly noted.

Of course I've verified them. In this case, adam deleted his post after he was called out on it. Icebreaker has quoted some great posts from frapdoc et al, feel free to peruse them; this is not an issue for me, I'm not going to waste time to search through post histories. Consider the point moot, since it was directed at adam, not you.

adamstgBit (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
March 25, 2016, 06:37:34 PM

ok exstasie you need to explain to us, the means by which you believe bitcoin can change its protocol rules

i was told 51% of hashing power was all that was really NEEDED.

75% trigger + 90% activation is merely a "polite" way of doing it AFAI

adamstgBit (OP)
Legendary

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
March 25, 2016, 06:42:58 PM

Of course I've verified them. In this case, adam deleted his post after he was called out on it. Icebreaker has quoted some great posts from frapdoc et al, feel free to peruse them; this is not an issue for me, I'm not going to waste time to search through post histories. Consider the point moot, since it was directed at adam, not you.

what post did i delete? are you talking about another adam?

exstasie
Legendary

View Profile
March 25, 2016, 06:44:51 PM

ok exstasie you need to explain to us, the means by which you believe bitcoin can change its protocol rules

Overwhelming community consensus. See 2013 hard fork for reference. Much of the community clearly rejects these attempts to change the consensus rules at the present time.

That's all that is needed for a majority miner attack. That's all that's needed for miners to add restrictions to the protocol (soft fork) -- with or without community input (ie we have no power over that).

But 51% hashing power has nothing to do with forcing node operators to uninstall their software and install some incompatible software. If you remove consensus rules, that is what must happen. Otherwise those nodes will ignore the new network.

exstasie
Legendary

View Profile
March 25, 2016, 06:50:36 PM

what post did i delete? are you talking about another adam?

No I went back to the find the post in question and couldn't find it. Could be my mistake. Anyway, this is all irrelevant to the subject at hand, so if jbreher feels the need to keep focusing on it, it would just show that he's not particularly interested in the real issues. Smiley

adamstgBit (OP)
Legendary

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
March 25, 2016, 06:50:58 PM

Overwhelming community consensus. See 2013 hard fork for reference. Much of the community clearly rejects these attempts to change the consensus rules at the present time.

That's all that is needed for a majority miner attack. That's all that's needed for miners to add restrictions to the protocol (soft fork) -- with or without community input (ie we have no power over that).

But 51% hashing power has nothing to do with forcing node operators to uninstall their software and install some incompatible software. If you remove consensus rules, that is what must happen. Otherwise those nodes will ignore the new network.

i think this is not what the white paper seemed to indicate. ( " bitcoin is whatever the longest chain happens to be " or somthing to that effect )

altho i must agree with your assessment as a better description of what it takes to change the rules.

i simply believe >75% hashing power = Overwhelming community consensus ( clearly node count isn't a good gauge as we see with classic nodes its more representative of economy marjory then anything else )

and its not fair to say that pools command to much hashing power they are known to let their user base vote individuality ( altho they do seem to reserve the right to vote on the behalf of non-voters )

i think a lot of the problem comes from the idea that individuals have a say, they dont. if we have 10 loud poeple on bitcointalk.org pushing for 1MB blocks forever, this should have no bearing on gauging " community consensus ", this is mearly political white noise.

exstasie
Legendary

View Profile
March 25, 2016, 07:05:34 PM

i think this is not what the white paper seemed to indicate. ( " bitcoin is whatever the longest chain happens to be " or somthing to that effect )

You can't ignore the word "valid" in the whitepaper. There is confusion around this subject because Satoshi conflated miners and nodes in the whitepaper, which makes sense as it was in the context of CPU mining. That doesn't change the fact that nodes enforce the rules, not hashpower.

altho i must agree with your assessment as a better description of what it takes to change the rules.

i simply believe >75% hashing power = Overwhelming community consensus

What if 75% is used as a majority miner (51%) double spend attack? Is that "community consensus?" Miners do not have the same interests as users; we can't assume that they speak for them.

and its not fair to say that pools command to much hashing power they are known to let their user base vote individuality ( altho they do seem to reserve the right to vote on the behalf of non-voters )

I didn't really mention miner centralization. Pools should consider non-votes as votes for status quo, as that is how consensus works. Anyone running old software is enforcing the old consensus rules. Until they flag agreement with new consensus rules, and/or enforce new consensus rules.......status quo.

i think a lot of the problem comes from the idea that individuals have a say, they dont. if we have 10 loud poeple on bitcointalk.org pushing for 1MB blocks forever, this should have no bearing on gauging " community consensus ", this is mearly political white noise.

How is this any different than a few pseudonymous people parroting support for Classic here or on Reddit?

adamstgBit (OP)
Legendary

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
March 26, 2016, 04:51:15 PM

You can't ignore the word "valid" in the whitepaper. There is confusion around this subject because Satoshi conflated miners and nodes in the whitepaper, which makes sense as it was in the context of CPU mining. That doesn't change the fact that nodes enforce the rules, not hashpower.
right.

i simply believe >75% hashing power = Overwhelming community consensus

What if 75% is used as a majority miner (51%) double spend attack? Is that "community consensus?" Miners do not have the same interests as users; we can't assume that they speak for them.
its a little nutty to suggest that 51% of the hashing power is run by bad actors... dont you think?! altho its hard to ignore the fact that miner and user interest might not be perfectly aligned, node count is not a good way to gauge "community consensus", "community consensus" is very hard to gauge 

I didn't really mention miner centralization. Pools should consider non-votes as votes for status quo, as that is how consensus works. Anyone running old software is enforcing the old consensus rules. Until they flag agreement with new consensus rules, and/or enforce new consensus rules.......status quo.
Core hardly offers to keep the status quo.... segwit is a BIG DEAL with BIG implications, maybe non-voter could be said to be voting for no change at all. 

How is this any different than a few pseudonymous people parroting support for Classic here or on Reddit?

its not.

jbreher
Legendary

Activity: 3038
Merit: 1660

lose: unfind ... loose: untight

View Profile
March 26, 2016, 09:12:14 PM

If they didn't seek to split the chain, their activation threshold would be north of 90%. You can make such claims all day long. If their intentions were truly pure and for the sake of Bitcoin, they would never risk the negative effects of a network split (e.g. 3/4 and 1/4).

So you believe you know more about my motivations than I do myself. Interesting god complex you have there.

Introducing competition in a consensus based algorithm; interesting proposal.

I dunno. Seems to work for TCP/IP.

Anyone with a campaign ad in their signature -- for an organization with which they are not otherwise affiliated -- is automatically deducted credibility points.

I've been convicted of heresy. Convicted by a mere known extortionist. Read my Trust for details.
adamstgBit (OP)
Legendary

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
March 26, 2016, 09:44:07 PM

wow this was fun to read  Grin

you have a talent for clarity

exstasie
Legendary

View Profile
March 26, 2016, 10:26:13 PM

its a little nutty to suggest that 51% of the hashing power is run by bad actors... dont you think?!

Um, only if you think one of the stated purposes of bitcoin--to prevent double spending-- is nutty. The brute force double spend attack is the basis for the feared "51% attack," although a miner (or cartel of miners) wouldn't really need a majority of hashpower to attack the network in this way. It would simply guarantee the success of the attack.

Do I trust all miners? Certainly not! Do I trust 95% or more? Probably, depending on input from the user and development communities. Do I trust 75%? Absolutely not, particularly when the user and developer communities don't unite behind them.

node count is not a good way to gauge "community consensus", "community consensus" is very hard to gauge

That means protocol consensus rules are difficult to change. This immutability is a great thing. It means the rules--including the 21 million coin cap--won't be lifted from under us based on the voice of some majority. This is good for trust in bitcoin. If proposed changes see widespread disagreement, they should not be implemented, period.

Core hardly offers to keep the status quo.... segwit is a BIG DEAL with BIG implications, maybe non-voter could be said to be voting for no change at all. 

The beauty of Segwit and soft forks is that node operators don't need to upgrade. History says most of them will upgrade in due time, but nobody needs to.

Miners do need to upgrade, and 95% will have agreed before proceeding with rules activation.

If Classic were willing to increase their threshold to 95%, I would step back and let the market make their choice. I think we both know Classic (or XT, etc) wouldn't have a chance in hell of doing that.... so what is your argument here?

adamstgBit (OP)
Legendary

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
March 26, 2016, 10:51:50 PM

if Classic were willing to increase their threshold to 95%, I would step back and let the market make their choice. I think we both know Classic (or XT, etc) wouldn't have a chance in hell of doing that.... so what is your argument here?

i think its worth noting that, Classic could fork off with 51% and they would Technically be bitcoin ( according to nakamoto "conusues" )
lets leave node count out of this ( we both agree its to easy to fake nodecount )

having said that.

Classic IS using  95% as the threshold!
75% trigger, 95% activation
its 75% trigger a "warning we are about to fork",  95% "ok sorry the remaining 5% activation starts NOW"

adamstgBit (OP)
Legendary

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
March 26, 2016, 10:56:36 PM

personally i like nakamoto conusues

at 51% i feel the remaining 49% should just get thrown under the buss. ( hey more coins for the rest of us at least for a short while...)

but i'm nuts  Cheesy.

exstasie
Legendary

View Profile
March 26, 2016, 11:14:05 PM

if Classic were willing to increase their threshold to 95%, I would step back and let the market make their choice. I think we both know Classic (or XT, etc) wouldn't have a chance in hell of doing that.... so what is your argument here?

i think its worth noting that, Classic could fork off with 51% and they would Technically be bitcoin ( according to nakamoto "conusues" )
lets leave node count out of this ( we both agree its to easy to fake nodecount )

Sorry but you are very confused about what Nakamoto Consensus means. Your logic says that 51% of miners can force the entire network to download new software--for example, to remove the 21 million coin cap. Sorry, not gonna happen.

Feel free to try, though. I would love for Classic to fork at 51%. That's what I'm getting at--lower it to 51% and accept that it's an attack and an altcoin, or increase it to 95% and claim ownership of bitcoin. But don't try to claim ownership at 75%; that's a bloody war and we won't "upgrade" to your adversarial client. The biggest losers will be lite nodes and miners who make the wrong decision.

Classic IS using  95% as the threshold!
its 75% trigger a "warning we are about to fork",  95% "ok sorry the remaining 5% activation starts NOW"

Source? I can't find anything that says that. Everything I see says 75% activation, 28-days to upgrade, fork. I don't see any mention of 95% agreement for anything.

adamstgBit (OP)
Legendary

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
March 26, 2016, 11:20:51 PM

Sorry but you are very confused about what Nakamoto Consensus means. Your logic says that 51% of miners can force the entire network to download new software--for example, to remove the 21 million coin cap. Sorry, not gonna happen.

Feel free to try, though. I would love for Classic to fork at 51%. That's what I'm getting at--lower it to 51% and accept that it's an attack and an altcoin, or increase it to 95% and claim ownership of bitcoin. But don't try to claim ownership at 75%; that's a bloody war and we won't "upgrade" to your adversarial client. The biggest losers will be lite nodes and miners who make the wrong decision.

Classic IS using  95% as the threshold!
its 75% trigger a "warning we are about to fork",  95% "ok sorry the remaining 5% activation starts NOW"

Source? I can't find anything that says that. Everything I see says 75% activation, 28-days to upgrade, fork. I don't see any mention of 95% agreement for anything.
i think i'm wrong
75% "warning we are about to fork"
28 days later
we fork with >75%

but this all just for show/politeness

@50%+1vote you're go to go.

franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 4473

View Profile
March 26, 2016, 11:43:22 PM

hey numbskull. its not a 75:25 split.

its a 75:25 "heads up guys something is changing soon. upgrade or be left with clams"
where the grace period wont stick to 75:25 but allows time for people to be prompted to upgrade and make it a higher amount of people moving across.

put short. if 90% have already moved across then it does need a whole year to move 10%.(eg 600 nodes) after all with all the bug fixes and emergency upgrades of the past we have had more then 7000 nodes upgrade in hours-days.. not months-years.
same can be said at 75% too!!!

the only reason for the year delay is to stay with blockstreams original agenda of increasing capacity just to offset the tx:mb ratio that would become bloated due to confidential payment codes. so they have to add more real capacity just so that people are not crying about only getting
3800tx for 2.85mb(750byte/tx) rather than
4000tx for 2mb(500byte/tx) or
7600tx for 5.7mb(750byte/tx)

so try to think outside the blockstream mantra box, and think for yourself about reality, not the glossy images hand delivered to you. spoonfeeding you half truths

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
adamstgBit (OP)
Legendary

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
March 26, 2016, 11:51:13 PM

hey numbskull. its not a 75:25 split.

its a 75:25 "heads up guys something is changing soon. upgrade or be left with clams"
where the grace period wont stick to 75:25 but allows time for people to be prompted to upgrade and make it a higher amount of people moving across.

put short. if 90% have already moved across then it does need a whole year to move 10%.(eg 600 nodes) after all with all the bug fixes and emergency upgrades of the past we have had more then 7000 nodes upgrade in hours-days.. not months-years.

the only reason for the year delay is to stay with blockstreams original agenda of increasing capacity just to offset the tx:mb ratio that would become bloated due to confidential payment codes. so they have to add more real capacity just so that people are not crying about only getting
3800tx for 2.85mb(750byte/tx) rather than
4000tx for 2mb(500byte/tx) or
7600tx for 5.7mb(750byte/tx)

so try to think outside the blockstream mantra box, and think for yourself about reality, not the glossy images hand delivered to you. spoonfeeding you half truths

ahhh much better

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: