Bitcoin Forum
September 20, 2024, 01:59:10 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.1 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: So i'd like some advice about my GPU fan  (Read 713 times)
Fiyasko (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1001

Okey Dokey Lokey

View Profile
January 28, 2013, 02:21:11 AM
Last edit: January 28, 2013, 05:13:59 PM by JackRabiit

Right now, My 7970, ever since i cleaned it out with canned air, the fan has been having "issues"
I own a singlefan XFX7970 "ghost", Replacement fans are a Huge cost, And are quite bulky.

The fan spins normally, sounds fine, Reports accurate tachometer readings and functions alright.
However it is showing symptoms of what i think are "hi im gonna stop spinning at any moment"
It will spin (at say 85%[i never run it above 87%]) just fine for a little bit, Then start making a kindof... Fluttering/Grinding? noise, and slows down by 500-700rpm.
if i wait a little bit, MSIa will put more power to the fan to speed it up, This causes the grinding noise to continue untill the fan reaches about 90% (5% faster than before) but still spins at the same RPM untill it suddenly sounds like something has "fell out" of the fan blades (like a dust clump) and then the fan goes WHIRRR from the power increse, Revs up about 500rpm and then drops back to the Proper 85% speed, With the correct noise. About five minutes later the whole process happens again.

Fan spins normally->Bad noise->fan slows->More power is added->fan spins Harder->noise dissapears->Fan spins Faster->Power is reduced->Fan spins normally

This is my main GPU, I use it for everyday life, gaming, mining etc.
Do i have it sent in for RMA and be GPULess for I dont know how long, And maybe even have the same card sent right back to me with a "nothings wrong" stamp
Do i try More Air?
What should i do?
The gpu is the most valuble thing that i own Sad and i'd rather not see it blowout, At the same time i dont want to lose two weeks of mining For Nothing.
And the canned air is what started the problem in the first place

http://bitcoin-otc.com/viewratingdetail.php?nick=DingoRabiit&sign=ANY&type=RECV <-My Ratings
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=857670.0 GAWminers and associated things are not to be trusted, Especially the "mineral" exchange
kjj
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1026

View Profile
January 28, 2013, 03:24:48 AM

Sounds like the bearing or bushing is going out.  Some fans give access through the fan hub by peeling the sticker back.  If you can get to the shaft that way, a drop or two of teflon lube may help.  More likely, you'll need a new fan.

The good news is that it sounds like XFX has really good warranty policies.  You might want to contact them directly.

17Np17BSrpnHCZ2pgtiMNnhjnsWJ2TMqq8
I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
Fiyasko (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1001

Okey Dokey Lokey

View Profile
January 28, 2013, 05:13:41 PM

Sounds like the bearing or bushing is going out.  Some fans give access through the fan hub by peeling the sticker back.  If you can get to the shaft that way, a drop or two of teflon lube may help.  More likely, you'll need a new fan.

The good news is that it sounds like XFX has really good warranty policies.  You might want to contact them directly.

D'ya think peeling back the sticker is gonna void the warrenty? Cause it looks like im going to be RMA'ing the card

http://bitcoin-otc.com/viewratingdetail.php?nick=DingoRabiit&sign=ANY&type=RECV <-My Ratings
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=857670.0 GAWminers and associated things are not to be trusted, Especially the "mineral" exchange
kjj
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1026

View Profile
January 28, 2013, 05:18:42 PM

Really hard to say.  If you are already planning to replace the card, I wouldn't touch it, at least not without having a chat with their tech support first.

17Np17BSrpnHCZ2pgtiMNnhjnsWJ2TMqq8
I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: